Chapter Three-- Coffee and Guidance

Chapter Three-- Coffee and Guidance

A Chapter by Phoenix Alleena

I found myself rushing into the cafeteria, and standing on the cappuccino line, despite their high prices. I had to do something; I couldn’t end up thinking too long. I shuddered at the danger that could set in motion.

  In front of me, a girl stood with wavy black hair and a red beret. There was only one person you’d catch in a French beret on the cappuccino line.

  “Julie!” I said, relieved I had someone to speak to. She whirled, the steadied herself, and smoothed wrinkles in her black and white, horizontally striped sweater.

  “Bells.” She replied, with a smile. “How’s life going?”

We were next in line, so I motioned for her to follow to one of the cafeteria’s bench-like tables. Stirring my coffee idly after we were seated, I formulated words. Words to describe how everything and anything was going wrong.

  “So how’s your deal with Benjamin?” Lame. I know I could’ve said something about me.

  Julie, however, snapped up the chance to talk about herself…as always.

  “I wrote him a poem and sent it anonymously.” She grinned, and flipped some hair out of her face, revealing shining gold hoop earrings. “He knew it was me. I can feel it. He didn’t really say anything, but instead of crumpling it up, he stuck it in his folder for art class.” She smiled hugely. “It’s a sign, I can tell.”

  I wanted to roll my eyes. Julie was always so obvious. I could never be like her.

  “Anthony’s dating Stephenie.” I muttered, after the silence got to me. Julie just stared at me, eyes forming doubt.

  “I doubt it, Bells. The only reason I pick Benjamin to win over is because that nasty Stephenie is dating him.”

  Her words shocked me. If my cappuccino hadn’t been up to my lips, one would see me sitting here, mouth agape stupidly.

  I knew Julie was crazy, but never did I imagine the lengths she’d go to get back at Stephenie.

  “I…I saw them though, hand-in-hand, walking in to school. I know it was Anthony…” I muttered.

  Julie pounded her fist on the table, and her sapphire eyes sparkled fiercely behind the silver frames of her glasses.

  “Alright! Answer me this Bells,” Julie began, pausing to clear her throat. “Do you want to see her hurt him?”

  I shook my head no.

  “Do you want to see her use him?”

  I shook my head again, no.

  “Do you want to see her get tired of his average-looking, different self, and dump him off like a dead rat in a sack of garbage?”

  I stared for a moment, as she reeled in her speech. I shook my head no, once again.

  “Good. Bells… fight for what you believe is right. You never know, today could be your last day here! Go for it, girl! I’ll ruin her by stealing Benjamin, and you ruin her by saving Anthony.”

  I couldn’t help but smile at Julie’s natural odd quirks and self-confidence.

  She held out the hand that wasn’t holding a cappuccino, and I took it.

  “Deal.” I said, shaking her hand. Julie beamed, then rose gracefully from her bench.

  “I’ll see you in Art class!” she said, and then began to walk away just as the morning bell rang.



© 2008 Phoenix Alleena


Author's Note

Phoenix Alleena
^__^

What do you think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

: ) Julie seems like an interesting character! At least in books, I've always liked those quirky, somewhat oblivious characters. They're what make it truly interesting! :D I really like your story so far. Good job!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

206 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on September 26, 2008


Author

Phoenix Alleena
Phoenix Alleena

Amarynth



About
Hello there! It's time to edit my profile, no? My name; it's Katie, A. Morton to be exact. There's nobody like me; for I am one in a myriad of others. ---- I'm an aspiring English Teacher / Autho.. more..

Writing