Chapter One-- Reality

Chapter One-- Reality

A Chapter by Phoenix Alleena

Monday…the epitome of torture. Another day of school, another day of being picked last on any team for Gym class, and another day of waiting, watching my dreams pass me by.

  Okay. So…maybe it wasn’t as “EMO” as I make it out to be, but some days – especially Mondays—sure seemed like it.

  I stared into the mirror, and, to no surprise, found an insomniac’s shell staring back at me.

  My brown hair, still fro’d out from sleeping, was lacking shine or body, even with the curls that usually decorated my scalp. My freckled skin looked paler than usual, and under my emerald eyes, shadows loomed.

  I came to the conclusion that I looked like most adults anyway, and went on with my daily routine. With pounds of homework each night, it really didn’t surprise me that I could only get  around five hours of sleep per night.

  I shrugged it off, and began thinking about the only thing that kept me going through the week. My reflection brightened considerably at the thought.

  “Isabelle!” came a shout, breaking my daydreams. “Bells, Hon’ you’ll be late! Come and get some breakfast!”

  “Ugh! I’ll be right down, Mom!” I screeched, as I drew my long hair back into a ponytail. I leaned on the bathroom sink, and smiled again. Even if it was Monday, I, Bells Stephans, would have a good day.

  His name was Anthony, and he was in basically all of my classes, this year. He had blue eyes, dark hair, and tanned skin. Usually, I just talked with him. He was one of the few I’d consider to be my friend.

  “Isabelle Mari Stephans! Get down these stairs! NOW!” the shout came again, and I knew I had to rush to get to school on time.

  As I gradually descended the stairs leading down from my half of the house, I saw Mom with her hands on her hips, a scowl crossing her tired face.

  She was built on the heavy side, and now wore an old-fashioned style blue dress with an apron of white tied expertly around her waist. Her long, straight, blonde hair fell gracefully over her shoulders, and when she crossed her arms, I saw she was still holding the wooden spoon she’d been stirring oatmeal with.

  I laughed to myself, and shook my head. I was just wearing a blue tee shirt and black jeans. Simple.

  “Bells, the bus is going to be here soon.” Mom said, relaxing, as if in defeat. “You can bring a pop-tart or something…”

  She let out a sigh, and went to retrieve the aforementioned refreshments. I really didn’t mean to be so difficult. I just get lost in my own thoughts, is all.

  I wondered vaguely if she thought of me like she thought of Dad… Just another that’ll leave her. College was just two years away, after all.

  I let out a sigh, before she came back with a baby-ish apple juice box, and a pack of pop-tarts.

It wasn’t time to think about technical issues that would be covered, like always, in school.

  Mom paused, and then handed over the food I’d pretend would be a delicious, nutritious breakfast.

  “Have fun at school, Bells.” Mom said, sincerely.

  “Heh! Yeah, sure.” I answered, and began to walk out of the door.

  “Stay safe!” Mom exclaimed. She never said that, so I found it slightly strange. I went on my way, despite all the facts, just as the bus pulled up to my stop.

  I knew that, as I boarded the bus, one blank seat next to Anthony would fill my brain, and I’d daydream that it was really he that I could sit with.

 



© 2008 Phoenix Alleena


Author's Note

Phoenix Alleena
Looking foreward to the next chapter?
What do you think of the character, Bells?
Do you get a sense of who she is?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Yes, I am looking forward to the next chapter. I love that you knew to separate out dialogue. Now, can we combine some of those smaller paragraphs? I think the part about college could be saved for later. It felt just "thrown" in there.

Posted 15 Years Ago


Here's to inpiration!
I thank my own dreams,
Lives of the people around
me, and discussion days in
Creative Writing Class.
Here's (also) To, me
completing this story.
Let's hope for the best :D

Posted 15 Years Ago


An excellent start! Your writing style is compelling enough that, even though it seems an ordinary girl's life, I still want to know what's happening. On the outside, Isabella seems like any other stressed out teen. But there are some special qualities that hint at an extraordinary person behind the mundane exterior. Great beginning to the story! :D

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

258 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on September 23, 2008
Last Updated on September 24, 2008


Author

Phoenix Alleena
Phoenix Alleena

Amarynth



About
Hello there! It's time to edit my profile, no? My name; it's Katie, A. Morton to be exact. There's nobody like me; for I am one in a myriad of others. ---- I'm an aspiring English Teacher / Autho.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Wildfleour Wildfleour

A Poem by Ralphy