Frank Butler

Frank Butler

A Chapter by Eliott
"

Ian talks to Gabe's childhood friend who speaks very poorly of him.

"
I woke up early Monday morning and got to the school at 7:30 am to talk to Frank Butler. I asked the secretary in the front office and she called him. A few minutes later, I was in the teacher's lounge talking to a man who looked to be at least in his seventies.

"What can I do for you?" he asked with a smile.

"Can you tell me anything about Gabriel Watson?"

"Is this a crime investigation?"

"No, nothing like that. I'm just a friend. I live in his old house, and he left these letters everywhere. This one had your name on the envelope." I handed him the letter.

He read it silently, but looked up at me every now and again with confusion. "Maniacal song?"

"I don't know, that's what I'm trying to figure out."

He continued reading and muttering things. "Bestselling carpenter?...fourteen o'clock...What the f**k is a chrysalis?" He shook his head and handed back the letter.

"I guess you don't know what it means then."

"It means he a f*****g nutcase, that's what it means!"

I laughed. "So how did you know him?"

"Ah, we grew up together, went to the same college, lived next to each other. I hated that f*****g b*****d."

"Why?"

"He's a liar, a cheat, a coward, and he's selfish and manipulative and greedy. He's cruel and self-absorbed, hot headed, and insensitive. And worst of all, everybody loves him! And I mean everybody. Everybody but me, of course. I saw right through the bullshit. Looks like the old creep finally lost it, and I'm glad. I hope he ends up in a nursing prison."

I nodded uncomfortably. How could the man Diana and Emily described as compassionate, nurturing, and selfless be all of those things?

"So how do you know the jackass?"

I was amazed that this man taught children. "I bought a house from him and just moved in a couple days ago."

"Ha! I bet he swindled you out of way more than that house was worth. Give it a couple months and you'll probably find a leaky sewer, a rat infestation, all kinds of nasty s**t. Because he has you fooled. He is a smart son of a b***h, I'll give him that. So don't feel bad, he's a smart son of a b***h and had everyone fooled. Except me. But everyone else- his little grandkids or niece and nephew or whatever who lived with him, his coworkers, and especially Eleanor and that kid they had."

"You knew Eleanor?"

"Yeah, everyone knew Eleanor. Back in high school, Eleanor and I were sweethearts. We went to senior prom together. I was even thinking about proposing. Then she broke up with me, and didn't even tell me why. You wanna know why? Because that scumbag charmed her, that's why."

Aha, now it's starting to make more sense. "Do you, by any chance, know someone called Tommy Hancock?"

"Tommy Hancock? Ha! That name brings back memories! Yeah, he used to live across the street from me and Gabe. Haven't seen him since we were kids. I think one of his grandkids goes here now. I can give you his parents' home number if you like."

"That would be great."

He found and wrote down the number, then the bell rang for school to start and I thanked Frank. As I was leaving, he said "Say hello to Tommy for me!"


© 2015 Eliott


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

233 Views
Added on June 18, 2015
Last Updated on June 18, 2015


Author

Eliott
Eliott

IL



About
Hey guys. If you remember me, I used to write here under the name Katie. Katie is gone. We are Eliott now. We have always used writing as an outlet, and ever since we were little we wanted to be a .. more..

Writing
Flip a Switch Flip a Switch

A Poem by Eliott