Down by the River's edge

Down by the River's edge

A Chapter by Khyrro
"

....gonna have to read.

"
I laid peacefully on my back watching the stars twinkle above my little town as if watching over me with warm eyes. Water lapped at my feet and made me shiver every time a high wave came and traveled to my shins. I frowned as my grandpa poked me to get up, but what I saw was the most beautiful thing i the world. The calm river had mirrored the wonderful night sky and a small hazy outline of fireflies were dancing about in an endless dance over the water. 
The water didn't look the same, it was flooded with fishing boats and canoes and teenagers daring each other to jump into the water with their shirts and pants on. I felt like something was stripped away from me. I fought to hold back tears at the sad sight in front of me. I glared at all the people having fun in the water, my water. Why couldn't they just leave, at least one part of this town would remain the same. At least I didn't think my life was useless, but then I remembered Jason smiling next to me and I smiled back.
"It used to be prettier" I told him with a broken voice, nearly a cry.
I heard Jason sigh softly next to me as if thinking of what to say. "I'm sure it still is pretty in some way. Just look, a school of fishes." A opened my closed eyes and saw him point to a maze of silver ribbon looking fish by our feet. I watched him take off his shoes and walk into the cool water. I remembered me doing the same last year and stretching my arms to the sky as if to hug the sky.
He glanced over to me expectantly as if he wanted me to do the same. I don't know why, but I did. I slipped off my shoes and followed him in the shallow water. I shivered as I felt the familiar cool water swirl around my calves.
I suppose you would think my thought were one of those of an older person remembering fondly of and old memory, but to me last year might as well as 10 years ago. Nothing was the same.
Jason laughed as fish swan in between our legs. I laughed too, as if he was a magical spell that was more powerful than the dark curse cast upon me. "Look!" he pointed to a gorgeous white and rosy pink water bird a few feet away and than to a powerful red tail perched on a floating tree in the middle of the river. 
"Your right" I needn't say about what, it was obvious. He was right, the river was still pretty.
I felt something bump into my leg and i looked down. My heart danced and flipped and did the world's greatest dance. There floating by my feet was Mia's wolf carving, but something was different. It was finished. 
Bending down to pick it up I couldn't help, but smile. It was even colored with grey paint for me. Looking around I stuffed it in my pocket. 


© 2011 Khyrro


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
Added on June 18, 2011
Last Updated on June 18, 2011


Author

Khyrro
Khyrro

About
I'm a 13 year old girl who just loves writing. I'm not the best out there, but people say I'm good and so why not share it? Anyway have fun reading my stories. I have written multiple unfinished stori.. more..

Writing