Father

Father

A Chapter by One Lost Anti-Hero

The woods swallowed Amity as she felt lost in every direction she traveled. She created a knife and marked the trees as she passed, but it didn't help at all. The dense air forced her on her knees and her stomach was being stabbed every second. Her head made it hard to focus and she began to miss her attacks on the trees. Even the ones she did cut she would walk past them over and over again without noticing it.

“Damn it. Why the hell do I feel this way?” Her hands were vibrating to the point where she could no longer hold her knife steady. Amity was crushed under the pressure and collapsed on the ground. Her mind was awake, but her body had gone completely. The forest roars kicked their way deep into mind. “Who's there?! Show yourself!” The trees bent side to side and her head began to spin. She noticed a male like shadow moving closer and closer. He grabbed her arm and pulled it over his shoulder. He held her tightly on his back and started running.

“Are you alright?” The trees were blurring past her while the wind violently blew through her hair. Amity tried to get a peek of the persons face, but it was covered. The figure slowed down before stopping.

“Its hard to breathe, but its bearable.” He continued to travel through the forest, but much slower than before. “Who are you?” Amity noticed to that the mans shoulders were broad and hard as wood. He held her gently like a small child being wary of her body. The air massaged her skin helping calming down her restlessness. The moon was piercing red pushing the stars out of sight as all her attention was focused on it.

“Why are you helping me? If its a reward your seeking then my father will not give one.” The man said nothing. His neck reflected the moons red glow almost mirroring its beauty. He was shaking like a weak animal breathing heavily. He was exhausted from carrying her and running so fast. “I'm sorry that I caused you trouble, but I had to help him.” The man turned his head, but his face was still not visible.

“Who's him?” She was surprised that this subjected interested him.

“Well an idiot who won't join our school. If he'd just join us we wouldn't have to hunt him down and try to kill him. Father thinks that the world needs someone to be a loser so that everyone else can win, but I don't.” The man stared at the blood moon illuminating less as he approached the city.

“So what kind of world do you envision?” He asked.

“A warm place where powers are used for fun and our memories that resonate in our hearts makes us stronger. Its stupid thinking that everyone can be like normal main character in a world with powers.” The entrance to the city was in their view and it was pitch black. Not a single light was lit in the city as the two got closer and closer to it. “How did you move here so fast? I was at least five miles from the city.” He didn't answer.

“What do you mean by world?” When they reach the entrance of the city the town was completely dark and empty. Not a single soul around to see the two. It was as if all the life from the city was dried up and taken away. As he walked Amity thought about her answer.

“You know world, the people, place and things that make up our lives.” He stopped in the middle of the street and dropped her at the bottom of the hill. “Why did you do that?!” She rubbed her butt as stood up.

“Keep your dreams small, their easier to protect.” He turned around leaving her a couple feet from her home. “Go home.” His voice was empty pushing her from him.

“Hey wait! You never told me your name so I can thank you.” He stood silently as she twiddled with her fingers. He turned back to her and stabbed her with his eyes. She could tell that he was irritated by her.

“I'm just a remnant of what was. Just call me “Past” if you want a label.” His voice was rugged, but somewhat relaxing to listen to.

“Well Mr. Past my name is Amity by the way. Mind walking me back home?” Amity smiled while pulling on his arm. He didn't budge even with her tugging as hard as she could.

“I have no obligation to.” Amity dropped to the ground and held her chest.

“You would leave a defenseless girl to--” Past attacked Amity, but she managed to barely dodge it.

“There now leave.” Past left alone her with the moons burning gaze. Its glow took hold of her heart clamping it in place.

“What a weird guy. He didn't even let me thank him.” She stretched her arms as she stared down the gigantic gate. The gate was guarded by at least ten people and as it opened a loud screeching sound burned her ears. Her father appeared in front of her standing firm saying nothing. “Hello Father.” Amity didn't raise her head, she didn't even try to look at his expression. “I-” Her father raised his hand and swiftly smacked Amity. Her body hit the fence and fell to the ground as hard as his love.

“Tell the workers to take away everything in her room, throw them out the windows, and do not feed her for the next three days. Disobey me and I will personally attend to you.” He commanded and like ants they obeyed. Amity, who was still on the ground holding her cheek, was silent. Her father knelt down taking hold of her hair. “Your rebellion ends tonight.” He dragged her across the grass with her hair tightly in between his fingers.

“But I was trying to make him join us like you said.” Amity struggled knowing it was useless, but even so she wanted to escape. “Father I'm sorry! I won't do it again I swear.” Despite the sleek appearance of the grass they were much more painful the farther she was dragged. Her father swung her onto the side the house smacking her onto the rose bushes. The thorns were sharp and cut deep into her legs. “Father it hurts! I won't do it again!” Her blood stained the grass as she edged closer to the shed.. All she could do was hope that someday she would escape this pain. Someday escape this place.

“Three days no food, no water, and no light.” He stopped inside a shed filled with gardening tools and dropped her. Amity was numb from the waist down, but she pulled herself into a corner. His shadow covered the night sky as he stood at the doorway. He closed the door and locked it. The room began to shake violently before falling forward. Amity covered her face when her body crashed against the door. He had knocked over the shed so that the door was covered by the ground. The tools fell beside her with only a shovel cutting her skin. Surprisingly enough the pain stopped and was replace with numbness.The pain was no longer at her injuries, but had accumulated its way into her heart.

“Papa why?”Tears rolled down her cheeks as she realized there was No way out of the shed. No way out of her home. No way out of her prison.



© 2015 One Lost Anti-Hero


Author's Note

One Lost Anti-Hero
This one was a doozie mainly because I don't generally like being a sadist toward my character, but for this chapter I needed Amity to well suffer to say the least. This place is a Utopia of your dreams, but it doesn't mean its perfect for everyone was the feel I was trying to project. If anything confuses or seems wrong for anyone reading this don't be afraid to say something. Any critique is welcomed negative or positive.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I really love your descriptions in this! I hate to say that you described Amity's pain well, but you really did, and that helps the reader sympathize with the character. We DESPARATELY want Amity to get away from her father.
I also love your descriptions of the forest; I feel like I can see, feel, and hear the environment that you're creating, and that means you've communicated atmosphere very effectively.
I kind of got lost in the dialogue between Amity and Past, but at the same time, I think that works to the story's advantage because it adds a sense of mystery to past and his motivations. Overall, I really liked this. Great job!

Posted 8 Years Ago


One Lost Anti-Hero

8 Years Ago

Thank you. I had to reread and edit it multiple times for this one because it was an important scene.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

159 Views
1 Review
Added on May 30, 2015
Last Updated on May 30, 2015


Author

One Lost Anti-Hero
One Lost Anti-Hero

TX



About
I'm just a person that can be described in very few words. Shy, simple, and human are just to name a few. I like to put on a mask and use various personalities to try to make things as relaxing If we .. more..

Writing