Chapter Two: The Queen's Plea

Chapter Two: The Queen's Plea

A Chapter by Desirée Tolliver
"

The Queen of Summer Breeze requests assistance from Samson, her Chosen Warrior

"
He found a wall outlet on the far end of the room and plugged up the karaoke machine Trenton had gotten him for his birthday. He sat down on the stool in front of the piano and strummed a chord on his guitar. He played a few notes for a few heart beats, filling the room with beautiful guitar music. He stopped and sighed.

He turned on the karaoke machine and picked up the microphone, but immediately put it back down. I can’t play my guitar and hold the microphone at the same time, he thought. He inserted a blank compact disc into the machine, pressed the record button on the karaoke player and shifted his guitar in his lap. He played another chord on his guitar and began playing a soft melody. He played for a lot longer than before, allowing himself to get lost in the music. He tapped a beat with his foot to complement the tune he played and began to sing a song:

Our tongues collide and spark a flame
Your beauty sets my heart on fire
Such a lovely and graceful dame
Your enticing aroma takes me higher

You’re like an angel sent from above
Your hips attract me like a magnet
I think maybe I’m in love
Baby, you’ve got me so excited

Kiss me softly if you dare
And where there is devotion, my heart will be there
Let me hold you in my arms so dear
Hold you close, pull you near

Kiss me sweetly with your darling lips
And while we dance, I’ll hug your hips
Let me catch you in my arms, my love
And it’ll be known to the heavens above

Of our endearing love
Our endearing love
Let me kiss you, darling
Let me kiss you

His baritone voice harmonized gracefully with the guitar music, filling the air with a lovely sound. He played another chord and continued the melody while deep in thought about his first kiss with Queen Martha not too long ago. He continued playing for a while longer and was about to sing another verse when the doorbell rang.

Samson sat up startled from his thoughts, Who could that be? he thought, And why are they ringing the doorbell while my father is sleeping? He pressed the record button on the karaoke machine, stood, put his guitar down, and went to go see who it was at the door.

He opened the door to find a young man dressed in a green tunic, white trousers, and brown boots. He had short blonde hair and ocean blue eyes, and he carried with him a scroll in his right hand. He bowed to Samson, took a step back, opened his scroll, and read:

“Dear Chosen Warrior of Xerox,

The kingdom Summer Breeze is in dire straits! The evil wizard of the East, Demise the Terrible, has returned to wreak havoc on the land and he has nearly destroyed our village! The queen of Manorá would like to entrust you, Samson Cleopatra, to lead the fight against Demise the Terrible and put a stop to his evil plans. Thus being appointed for this duty, the queen of Manorá wishes to speak with you at once concerning what you are to do regarding defeating Demise the Terrible in an orderly fashion. Please, you are our only hope!

"signed by Her Highness Martha, Queen of Manorá”

At the last word, the messenger closed the scroll and awaited Samson's reply. Samson grimaced and cleared his throat, "So, that's it?" he asked, "After this guy nearly kills me and my father, the queen wants to send me out there to fight him?"

The messenger nodded, "Yes, sir, that is correct," he said.
Samson sighed, "Why?" he asked. "And, why did she wait until now to ask for help?"

The messenger cleared his throat, "The Sunflower Palace was nearly destroyed when Demise attacked the village," he said.

Samson’s brows furrowed and he sighed, “Is she alright?” he asked, quietly.

“She’s alive, if that’s what you mean,” the messenger replied. “She should be doing okay. She has been looking after a few people who say they know you. Um, a Mr. Rob, a Miss Molly, a Mr. Butch, a Mr. Jason, a Mr. Dan, a Mr. Ken, and a few others from the Chopin district. She found them behind the palace passed out. Some of them almost drowned so she’s had the Family Physician take care of them until she could get in touch with you. She says you’re our only hope.”

Samson’s eyes widened and his jaw dropped, “Oh my gosh! Rob, Molly, Butch, Dan, Jay, and Ken are under the Queen’s care?” he asked. “So that’s what happened to them!” 

The messenger nodded, "If you don’t mind, she would like to speak with you today," he said.

Samson looked at the messenger warily and sighed, "Fine," he relented, "Come in and don't make a sound. My father's asleep in here and I don't want you waking him."

He led the messenger into the house and then upstairs into the living room. They sat across from each other and Samson crossed his arms over his chest, "This better be worth my time," he muttered.

The messenger sat forward, "First off, I'm Aaron Nickelback," he said, "I'm the queen's messenger boy. You've probably already met Sheldon. He's the king's most faithful servant and messenger boy. I'm just the queen’s messenger."

Samson nodded and Aaron continued, "The queen sent me here to deliver this message to you," he said. "She wants to make you aware of how grave the situation is and she hopes that you would respond. So, what do you say?"

Samson cleared his throat, "Does the king know about this at all?" he asked.

Aaron scoffed, "No, of course not,” he replied.

Samson nodded, "So, this is in secret?" he asked.

Aaron sighed, "Well, not quite, because the queen knows," he said. "But, you still haven't answered my question."

Samson sighed, "How are Rob, Molly, Butch, Dan, Jason, and Ken?" he asked. “Are they still alive? I won’t do anything for her if they’re already dead.”

Aaron shrugged, "She told me that, if you asked, to tell you they’re fine. They were left in the Family Physician’s care," he said. "You can see them when you meet with her today. So, will you help? Yes or no."

Samson sighed and pondered what the messenger told him for a while. Before he could give his answer, Maqsedeth entered the living room and stood in front of the door. Samson gasped and went over to him, "Father," he said, "I thought you were sleeping?"

Maqsedeth nodded, "I was," he said, his voice rich with sarcasm, "But, someone woke me up. It was the doorbell, I think. Would you like to tell me what's going on here, Samson?"

Samson sighed and crossed his arms over his chest, "Oh, yes, Father," he said, sarcastically, "I'm really sorry for that rude awakening you just experienced. For that, you can thank Mr. Aaron Nickelback for coming here unannounced. He is the queen's messenger boy and a highly inexperienced one from what I can see."

"What's he doing here?" Maqsedeth asked, miffed.

Samson sighed, "He says the queen wants me to save the kingdom Summer Breeze from Demise's wrath," he replied.

"Single-handedly?" Maqsedeth asked, appalled.

"Looks that way," Samson sighed.

Maqsedeth shook his head, "You can't do it," he protested, "I don't want you to get in the middle of our fight. This fight's personal. I'm the one he has the beef with, so I should go and settle this once and for all."

Samson sighed, "Yeah, I know, Father,” he replied, “but as the Chosen Warrior of Xerox it is my duty to ensure the protection of The Living Circle and planet Xerox. Queen Martha is The Living Circle and she says she needs my help, so I must help her.”

"I can't let you do this," Maqsedeth insisted, "I don't want you getting hurt."

Samson sighed, "It’s my job, Father,” he asserted. “Molly and Butch helped me to understand some of the Manorá Enactments and laws of planet Xerox in that little book Ziero gave me a while back. I have to do my job, as the Chosen Warrior of Xerox.”

Maqsedeth sighed, "Tell me why you feel you can defeat him and I might just drop my guard," he demanded, crossing his arms.

Samson sighed, "I told you, I’ve defeated him before," he declared. "But he said that I couldn't defeat him even though I did."

"How did you defeat him?" Maqsedeth inquired, skeptical.

"I used the sword you created," Samson replied, "but there was this weird thing that happened during battle. My right hand glowed."

Maqsedeth gasped, "Your right hand glowed?" he asked, thrilled, "That means your full powers are here!"

Samson raised his eyebrow, "My full powers?" he asked.

"Yeah, son!" Maqsedeth beamed, "Now that your full powers are here, I could start training you! This is great news!"

Samson was shocked to silence and as he pondered what Maqsedeth had told him, Aaron Nickelback stood. When he saw Maqsedeth, he approached them, "Ah yes, Mr. Maqsedeth, I’ve heard so much about you," he said, ecstatic. "The best inventor, the best blacksmith, the best architect, and the best mage in The Living Circle. I'm honored to meet you at last!" They shook hands and then he turned to Samson, "And, who is he to you?" he asked Maqsedeth, "I mean, what relationship do you have with this lad?"

Maqsedeth smiled, "He's my son," he said, amused.

This seemed to have caught Aaron by surprise because he looked back and forth between Samson and Maqsedeth before speaking again, "Ah, yes, of course," he said then he cleared his throat, "So, Mr. Samson, have you made up your mind, yet?"

Samson sighed, "Yes, I have," he replied.

"What will you do?" Aaron asked him.

"I’ll help," Samson relented. "So, when do I start?"

Aaron cleared his throat, "As soon as possible and by that, she means she wants to see you today," he replied.

Samson cleared his throat, "Well, let me go freshen up," he said and he departed from the living room.

Maqsedeth smiled, "He's not leaving that shirt," he said. "Ever since his birthday, he has been attached to that shirt and he wears it every day, except when we go to the Chapel."

Aaron smiled, "That must be his favorite shirt," he said.

Maqsedeth nodded, "Yeah, it is," he said. “His grandmother made him that shirt. He’s worn it every day since her, um…death.”

“My deepest condolences, Mr. Maqsedeth,” Aaron said.

Samson returned after several minutes, sure enough wearing the same shirt, freshly washed. But he wore black trousers, instead of the white ones he wore before, with the black boots his grandmother gave to him for his birthday; and he had with him the Ancient Power of old, a golden bow and glass quiver of diamond arrows, and an ivory-diamond shield. He turned to Aaron, "I'm ready now," he said. "Let's go. The sooner, the better."

Aaron cleared his throat, "Alright, Mr. Maqsedeth," he said as they shook hands again, "It was a pleasure meeting you."

He and Samson went towards the door and before leaving, Samson waved ‘good-bye’ to Maqsedeth, who waved 'good-bye' back, and then he departed with Aaron to head towards the Sunflower Palace.

He followed Aaron through the cluster of trees by his house and pass the Jagged Cliffs. They walked in silence until they finally stood in the front of the Sunflower Palace. Aaron led Samson up the steps and to the palace's double doors where Queen Martha met them. Her waist-length wavy dark brown hair was pinned up in a messy bun. She wore no lip stick and eyeshadow, but Samson still found her stunning. She wore a dark purple off-the-shoulder long-sleeved dress and black flats.

“Oh my goodness, Samson! Thank goodness you made it!” she exclaimed throwing her arms around Samson’s shoulders. “Thanks for bringing him, Aaron. Quick! Come inside.”

Once inside, Samson could see the damage the palace received through Demise's entrance into the kingdom Summer Breeze. The beautiful diamond-glass chandelier that once hung on the ceiling in the middle of the room, now lay broken at Samson's and Queen Martha's feet as they came in. The beautiful paintings on the walls of Jesus, Mary, and Joseph and the prophets lay shattered to bits on all the corners of the walls.

The Crema Cappuccino floors and neutral colored walls were cracked and so were the stair cases. The red velvet carpeting was shredded into bits on the floors in front of them due to the immense amount of flooding and the damage from the meteors crashing onto the village’s surface.

Looking around at the remainder of Maqsedeth's beautiful creation, after it had been nearly demolished by Demise the Terrible, grieved Samson's heart. Queen Martha led Samson through the Foyer and the hall, into the Sitting Room, making sure no one else saw them as they entered.

She locked the door and faced Samson, uneasily, “May I apologize,” she breathed, “I’ve never really done this before.”

Samson smirked, “What? Hid away in the King’s Sitting Room with a man before?” he joked.

Queen Martha sighed, “Samson, let’s be serious for a minute,” she said, amused. Her olive-green eyes danced with humor as she worked to stifle her laughter.

“I’m being so serious right now,” Samson said as he gathered her in his arms and pulled her close. “You know I’ve waited for this moment for a long time. But, seriously though, how are Rob ’em? Are they alright?”

Queen Martha threw her arms around Samson’s shoulders and sighed, “They’re doing just fine,” she replied, smiling. “But, now I need you to tell me something.”

“What?”

“How are you doing?”

Samson smiled, “I’m actually better now that I’m with you,” he replied. “How are you doing?”

Queen Martha sighed, “How do you think?” she replied, slightly annoyed.

Samson sighed and lowered his gaze, "Is there anything I can do?" he asked, quietly.

“I sure hope so,” Queen Martha sighed. “So, are you ready to hear the rest of the details?”

Samson smiled as he and Queen Martha sat together on one of the sofas. “Tell me more,” he replied.

Queen Martha gazed into his eyes, "Okay, well you already know that Demise the Terrible has returned once again to wreak havoc on our village," she said, working to steel her nerves. "He has returned to claim some treasure sleeping beneath our village.”

Samson’s brows furrowed, “You’re talking about the Nieaockonioan Sapphire?” he asked.

Queen Martha looked at him, startled, “So, the stories were true,” she gasped. “How do you even know about it?”

Samson sighed, “My father told me today,” he replied, his expression grim. “He said that the jewel now has the power to destroy us and everything we stand for if it falls into the wrong hands.”

Queen Martha was shocked to silence. “Well, you mustn’t let that happen, Samson,” she said, distraught. “For all our sakes. You mustn’t let him get his hands on that jewel. You know he wants to claim it and he has already caused a ton of damage to the village. Imagine what he can do to the planet if he gets his hands on that jewel.”

“I am imagining,” Samson replied in dismay.

“Then you know how grave this situation is,” Queen Martha gasped, holding back tears. “Our kingdom needs your help and as the Chosen Warrior of Xerox, it is your job to protect the people of planet Xerox from any potential danger. You are our only hope, so will you help us?”

“I said so, didn’t I?” Samson replied. “So, where is the king? What has he done to help ensure the safety of the citizens of Summer Breeze?”

“Nothing,” Queen Martha scoffed, “he was safely tucked away in his vacation house in the Golden Twinkle Kingdom when Demise struck the village. He’s having too much fun to even think about us.”

Samson smiled, “Well, don’t worry. I said I will help, so I will help,” he assured her.

Queen Martha smiled, “Thank you,” she sighed, relieved.

“So, where am I going?” Samson asked her.

“Demise the Terrible lives in a cave known as the Deadly Surprise, located in the deepest parts of the Petrifying Woods just before the Swamps of Gorger,” she replied. “I would like for you to go there and dispose of him for us, okay?”

Samson nodded, "I'm sure I can do that," he said.

Queen Martha took a deep breath to steady her breathing, “I really don’t want to have to ask you to do this, but you’re our only hope,” she said, holding back tears. “There’s just one other thing: you must go alone and you must leave all of your weapons behind. He won’t be able to be defeated using any kind of magic. Demise is tough. He can only be defeated using an Oriental art of weaponless self-defense such as karate. If you don’t, he’ll come back. I’m so sorry, Samson.”

Samson took her hands into his and looked her in her eyes, “Hey, don’t apologize to me,” he said, gently. “I understand. It’s my job to serve and protect, for Queen and Country. I fully understand the risks involved with being your Chosen Warrior and I promise you, I’m willing to go through hell and back if it means you’ll be safe. You are my Living Circle and I am your Warrior. That’s the way it’s gonna be.”

Queen Martha couldn’t stop herself from crying. She was so relieved, “Oh, thank you Samson!” she exclaimed, throwing her arms around his shoulders. “I could just kiss you!”

Samson blushed, “I think you’ve already done that before,” he whispered.

Queen Martha giggled, “Right, I suppose,” she whispered back.

She gazed into his eyes for a while before their lips touched. She kissed him for a split second and just as he kissed her back, she pulled away. “I’m so sorry,” she gasped.

Samson pulled her closer to him, “What?” he asked as he leaned in to kiss her. “What’s wrong?”

Queen Martha sighed and resisted the urge to kiss him, again, “This is so inappropriate,” she replied, quietly. “You’re my Chosen Warrior. We shouldn’t be sitting this close. There’s so many things we shouldn’t do…”

Samson kissed her again, slipping his tongue into her mouth as he laid her down on the sofa. She threw her arms around his shoulders as she kissed him back. They kissed passionately for a while and then there was a knock at the door, “My Lady,” a familiar voice called. It sounded like Ziero’s voice.

Samson continued kissing her until the second knock. She gently pulled her lips from his, “Samson,” she whispered, “that sounds like the Family Physician. I must go see what he needs.”

Samson kissed her lips once more before they sat up. “I’m"I’m sorry,” he whispered, “I know that was very rude of me…”

She gently kissed him back, “It’s okay,” she sighed, “as long as you promise me you won’t breathe a word of this to anyone.”

Samson smiled, “Don’t worry, my queen,” he replied, “my lips are sealed.”

She stood and went to the door to see what the Family Physician wanted, “Make sure to report back to me once you’re done,” she said.

“My Lady, one of the patients is asking to see Mr. Samson,” Paradise said. “Is it okay to allow them visitation hours now?”

Queen Martha sighed and turned to Samson, “Do you want to go see them before you leave?” she asked him.

Samson smiled and nodded, “Of course I do,” he replied.

Paradise smiled, “Right this way,” he said as he led him deeper into the palace. He turned to the left and opened a door into a room that looked like an infirmary. There were multiple beds lined against both walls of the room and all of the beds were full. They each had oxygen masks and an IV next to them.

Samson looked around at the room, heartbroken at how many of his friends were lying helpless in those beds. He heard a weak cry come from the far end of the room, “Samson…”

He rushed to the bedside and discovered it was Molly. “Hey, girl,” he said, steadying his breathing, “how’re you doing?”

Molly’s eyes fluttered open. When she saw Samson, she gasped and sat up, dropping the oxygen mask off her face. She smiled weakly and tears filled her eyes, “You’re alive!” she cried, throwing her arms around him. She sobbed on his chest as he hugged her. She bawled for a while, waking the others around them.

“Wha-what’s going on?” Butch gasped, sitting up. When he saw Molly clinging to Samson, his eyes grew wide, “Oh my gosh, Samson!” he cried as he jumped from his bed to Molly’s to join in the hugging. “We thought you were dead!”

Samson was shocked as everyone sprung from their beds and hugged him, exclaiming the same thing. “Y’all thought I was dead?” he asked, taken aback. “What happened to y’all? The only people I saw return were Trenton and Ebonie. We thought you guys were dead!”

“What? Trenton and Ebonie are okay, too?” Rob asked, elated. He could hardly contain his enthusiasm, “Oh, this is great news! Everyone’s okay!” he laughed.

“What about Mr. Maqsedeth?” Dan coughed. “Is he alright?”

Samson smiled, “Yeah, man,” he replied. “I was with him the whole time. He’s fine. He’s just exhausted, though because he’s been up all day doing repairs and searching for you guys, so he’s at home getting some rest.”

Dan smiled, “That’s good to hear,” he replied, his voice hoarse. “Give him my best for me, okay?”

Samson smiled and winked at him, “Sure do, Dan,” he replied. “As soon as I can get Molly and Butch off me I will.”

Paradise came in and gently pried Molly and Butch off Samson. He laid them back down in bed, “Alright, everyone back into bed,” he said. He went over to Dan to give him some Golden Herb tea to cure his coughing. Samson departed the infirmary and went to return home to Chopin, when he was stopped by Aaron Nickelback, “Mr. Samson, wait,” he called.

Samson turned to face him, “Okay, what do you want, now?” he asked.

“Her Majesty the Queen sent me to tell you that she’s willing to give you a few days to train for your quest,” he replied. “She wants you to go up there confident and not afraid because Devouress feeds off fear. So, she told me to tell you to find someone to train you in those few days. She doesn’t want you to take too long because Demise can return any minute, but she wants you to be prepared.”

Samson nodded, “Sure thing,” he said. “Thank her for me, okay?”
Aaron nodded and departed his presence as Samson returned to his home in Chopin.


© 2017 Desirée Tolliver


Author's Note

Desirée Tolliver
The Petrifying Woods is also available on Amazon.com, Barnes & Noble, and Lulu.com

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

96 Views
Added on December 1, 2017
Last Updated on December 1, 2017


Author

Desirée Tolliver
Desirée Tolliver

Port Gibson, MS



About
I'm just an aspiring writer looking to meet other aspiring writers. Writing is what I do. I live, love, and breathe writing. I live off this quote by Rainer Maria Rilke: "If, when you wake up in the m.. more..

Writing