Chapter (5) PREPARATIONS

Chapter (5) PREPARATIONS

A Chapter by MAD ENGLISHMAN



Chapter (15)   PREPARATIONS

 

The rains had stopped and the air was cool as Maggie crossed the street and mounted the half a dozen grey concrete steps up to the familiar shabby brown wooden door with its rusting metal grill. As she put her hand on the door handle of the office building she had a sudden nervous pang. She'd made this journey a hundred times but today it felt different. The door opened as it always did with a tiny squeak. The brightness outside in the street was a stark contrast to the dim hallway she now stood in. She moved over to the rack of old mail boxes on the wall and opened the one marked ‘Trent’. Maggie removed a few flyers from the box and gave them a quick glance. Nothing important. Trents' office was on the second floor, the stairway was at the far end of the hallway. She'd never really noticed before just how dirty the walls were, with their old flaking paint and chipped plaster. At the top of the stairs she stopped for a moment. The corridor smelled damp and musty. It was dark. The small windows were so dirty they let in little or no light. She pulled a dangling light cord and a single dim bulb glowed painfully.

As she approached the door to Trent's office the wood and plaster walls closed in on her. Maggie put the key in the lock and turned it quickly. She let the door swing open slightly before stepping in. The faint smell of stale coffee met her nose. As she entered the room nothing seemed to have changed and Maggie closed the door behind her and locked it, she had never thought to lock it before. Maggie noticed the empty nail by the door where Trent's Fedora should be hanging. Trent's hat had been damaged in the shooting, she’d have to get him a new one as soon as he came out of hospital. She walked over to the centre of the room and pulled the light cord and tossed the flyers onto the desk. Mr Trent’s new shiny desk, Mr Trents pride and joy. Maggie noticed the top of the desk was covered in a thin film of dust. Maggie wanted to have the office looking clean and tidy for when Trent came home. At the sink everything was just as she'd left it in her hurry to follow Trent the night of the shooting. Time to get started so coat off and hung on the empty hat nail. Maggie took her Pinny from the chair and in a few seconds she was picking up the kettle and filling it from the faucet. The box of matches lay by the side of the sink board. Maggie took one and it sparked into life. She lit the little gas stove and it felt reassured as it hissed its familiar tune. She put the kettle onto the stand above the tiny blue flames. It would take a few minutes so while she waited for the kettle to heat up Maggie crossed over to the filing cabinet, she hesitated before opening the top drawer. The draw complained about being opened as Maggie pulled it open with difficulty. Lying in the drawer was the brown Manila and the letter Trent had written before he'd left that night to meet up with Mr. Asimov. As if by magic she had the letter in her hand. Maggie looked at the white folded paper in her hand. I don't need to open this now, I don't need to read it. I'll put it on the desk where Mr Trent can find it when he comes back to the office. Lying next to the letter was the large Manila envelope containing the rest of the money Trent had been given by the Crow. I can't leave it here, I'll have to take it with me. Maggie took the Manila and put it in her pocket book. She was wondering about Mr Trent, he would be in the operating room by now, she prayed that his arm would be mended.

Maggie closed up the office and made her way out onto the sidewalk. It was a fine afternoon and the street was filled with people getting on with their daily lives. She put up her hand in a few seconds a cab stopped. Maggie got in.

“AT&T offices up town please.” She told the cabbie. He gave her a quick glance in his mirror and asked.

“Are you just visiting Miss, I haven’t picked you up before and I pride myself on knowing my customers on this street”

“No I live here but I’ve only just started to use the Taxi service. I’m working from an office near here and we need a telephone that is why I’m going up to see the AT &T people.” Maggie thought that was enough conversation and turned to look out of the window.

“Very good Miss.” Said the Cabbie. Maggie spent an hour at the At&T office and when she was done they’d agreed to fit the new telephone the day after tomorrow. Maggie returned to the office spent a couple of hours cleaning and washing. By the time she’d returned home , Marty, her husband was waiting for her. Maggie removed her coat and gave her husband a kiss on the cheek.

“Come into the kitchen Marty and talk to me while get dinner ready.” Marty said nothing, he followed her into the kitchen and sat down at the table. Maggie took an apron from the little rail on the front of the cupboard and turned to face Marty.

“Pasta, cheese and tomatoes be alright honey?” She asked him. Marty nodded approval. Maggie took several bits and pieces from the icebox and filled a pan with water. The little cooker had two burners and she lit one and placed the pan of water to heat up.

“Anything interesting happen at work honey?” Marty wasn’t used to this, he felt awkward, he didn’t know how to do this.

“Erm not sure really. What do you mean?” Maggie turned around to look at him.

“I don’t mean anything, I just wanted us to have a conversation. We don’t do that anymore.” Marty looked down at the table, Maggie’s shout made him look up. “Marty! I’m not on the table I’m up here.”

“I know, I just... I mean.. I don’t know what you want me to tell you.” Maggie felt for him. She sat down facing him and reached forward and took his hands in hers.

“I’m your wife Marty, I love you.” Marty’s mouth managed a slight smile.

“It’s okay honey go and read your paper. I’ll bring dinner in and we’ll sit on the sofa and eat together.” Maggie got up from the table and returned to preparing the dinner and Marty went back into the other room and switched on the wireless. While Marty settled down with his newspaper on the old sofa, the gentle orchestral strains from the wireless filtered into the kitchen and Maggie smiled a contented smile. He’ll open up when he’s ready, she thought to herself. Marty looked at his wife, he watched her slim figure gently sway to the music. Without turning around she called out to Marty.

“By the way, I shan’t be going to the hospital tonight, Mr Trent is making good progress. I’ll go and see him tomorrow.” Marty heard her but said nothing. Maggie had expected him to say something, anything. A full minute passed and then he said.

“Maggie.” Maggie turned around at the sound of her husband’s voice.

“I was thinking, maybe we could go dancing some time, you know, like we did when we courted.” Maggie’s face lit up with a huge smile.

“That would be lovely.” She said, then quickly returned to her cooking. Marty was feeling smug as he flicked his paper, twice. Marty felt good.

It wasn’t long before Maggie returned to her husband with two plates of steaming pasta. She snuggled her legs under her and leaned casually against Marty. The pair attacked the pasta with gusto and said very little.

“How is it?” Asked Maggie.

“Ummm, good.” Marty replied. The pair finished in no time and Maggie took the empty plates and returned to the little kitchen. As she put the plates into the sink she turned to Marty.


 

 

“Honey, why don’t you go and shave and I’ll finish up here.”  Marty looked at his wife.

“Shave?” He said, failing to understand his wife’s motive.

“Yes, and then go and warm the bed while I get myself ready.” It took a few seconds for him to appreciate what Maggie had said, but when he did he got up without speaking and moved to the washroom. Maggie just smiled.



© 2016 MAD ENGLISHMAN


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

129 Views
Added on August 28, 2016
Last Updated on August 28, 2016


Author

MAD ENGLISHMAN
MAD ENGLISHMAN

Great Ponton, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom



About
Heading for my 72nd birthday in April. I've enjoyed an eventful life. With the help of 2 wives I've managed to raise 3 children. Proud of my kids. I embrace all cultures but ultimately I'm proud to be.. more..

Writing