Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Midnight_Mask

"What happened today?" Goru questioned allowed as he struggled to drag his feet across the hall, sending sqicks echoing around him. 
"Well-" Rove started to explain when he were broken off by an unsteady voice. "I killed someone" Goru and Rove shoot their eyes to find the source, revealing Harren aproching; head bowed in defeat, shuffling his feet along the ground and nearly tripping over his robe. 
"You didn't do it alone Lord. We helped by suppling our magic" Goru seemed to want to lift some of Lord's self blame. It didn't work. 
"You simply supplied the energy, I used it" Harren looked defeated completely. When his head finally lifted, dark bags surrounded his eyes and his skin casted a ghostly white, making him look dead. 
Rove then tried to reason "You were trying to protect us and it was obvious that you used the shock bult, you couldn't predict that nearly the whole mages guild will feed you a lot more than needed" - Rove placed his arm over Harren's shoulders, having to stretch a little higher because Harren is a little taller - "Come old friend, no-one could predict that the bult would change into a flare spear" Shock Bults are a lower powered bolts that'll stun it's victum, only to stop people running away or in this case, get too close. On the other hand, the Flare Spear is more common to give a someone a cut for punishment, or used more recently with the King's order to kill the effected. 
With a sigh Harren just nodded his agreement because he were too tired to fight on, even though he didn't really agree. 
"What is to happen tomorrow?" Goru asked. 
"We're going to have to get back to our origanal order, otherwise we are letting those effected monsters feed and grow stronger" Harren reminded them. "Yes Lord" Rove and Goru sounded as Rove retreated his arm to allow Harren to sort out his robes and stand straight. 
"I'm going to retaire to my rooms. Night Rove, Goru" Harren turned, climbing the stairs to where his room is kept, along with the library, kitchen and resting rooms for when the mages want to relax and gossip.
"What do you think about this Rove?" Goru asked as they looked at each other.
"This is bad" Rove said without emotion, everything was so confusing; A gang of kids are trying to fight the Guild because they're annoyed with the King's order, they have a girl that might be the solution to the illness that is raging havoc on Kingdom of Lucia and the Guild is to follow out the King's order to kill those whoo can't be saved who are infected with this illness. Rove just couldn't get his head around it all.
"Goru, lets retire to our rooms" Rove exhaustedly whispered as he turned to avenue across the Grand Hall towards the corridor that leads to the sleeping chambers. Goru's feet echoed behind him and they walked in a line quietly threw the Guild.

Everything was quiet except from the cool breeze that chilled everyone to the bone. The setting sun caste the sky a rainbow of soft colours; purple, pink, orange, yellows. But where the clouds scattered, making the heavens look wounded, this scar was coloured a blood red. 
Behind HQ, there's a little garden. More like a wild field for dead plants then a garden. However, Ikuto thought it was best to have Kira buried close to home. Milo dug the hole, made it four feet wide and five and a half in length. It was deep, deeper then Kiari expected. 
The whole family was here, standing in a semi-circle around the hole and the coffin laying next to it; everyone but Ikuto and Miko, who stood next to the coffin. Ikuto was giving the honour speech and was good at it too. Every now and then Kiari looked around to find people sniffing and whipping tears away from their own cheeks. Most of the family kept their heads bowed, even Sid. Row sometimes looked up at her to see if Sid would notice her stare, but Sid continued to stare at the ground. 
"-And he was more than a little brother, his was a friend and a amazing one at that. Shy and quiet at times and most of us didn't get to know him, not like some of us did." - Ikuto's eyes rested on Sid for more than a second, than drifted off to the others as he continued - "But that is the main reason that I want to tell you about him. We stand here before one who was brave and aided us in the hardest of times, we stand here before a brother, not of blood, but of heart and soul. To Kira" Ikuto held up his glass of drink in the sky and than as we all did - except Sid, who didn't have a drink - Downed it in one swallow.
Everyone started to wonder around hugging one another and whispering nice messages in one and another ears about the loss and how their cooping. But, Row and Sid stayed in their original positions, Kiari presumed that Sid was trying to nudge Row to hug and comfort everyone and without being told again Row done as Sid told her.
"Sid and Row!" Ikuto called over the family that bundled in between Ikuto and Sid and Row, blocking Ikuto's vision of them. But he continued, "Without no other choice I am forced to banish you both from ever stepping foot on Lucia soil again!" He thundered over the short distance between them "You have until sunrise to get out of the city and make your way to the border"
After the announced the family crammed into the house in silence, with the occasional sniff or break out of tears from Amu, but Kiari didn't know if it was because Kira is now dead or that Sid and Row is now banished.

Sid watched as Row walked over to rejoin her at her side. Miko already lowered the coffin in the grave and started to throw dirt over it. Ikuto disappeared to the broken greenhouse at the end of the garden, obviously looking for a shovel to help Miko.
Sid charged after him, anger boiled in her blood, Row stuttered to follow but with a wave of Sid's hand gesturing her to stay put, Row did as told. Fumbling into the greenhouse, Sid found Ikuto standing there as if he knew she'll follow. 
"What is it Sid?" Ikuto asked, calmly.
From the time of day, shadow was caste on Ikuto's side of the greenhouse, his eyes cloaked behind shade, making him look grin.
"Why do you still blame us" - Sid waved a hand to the garden, gesturing at Row - "for the reason of Kira's death?" Sid barked at Ikuto.
"Simply because you are the ones to blame"
"Oh how naive" Sid hissed.
Sid was furious, she felt her blood boil, heart beat fast and her lungs demand for air every second. She knew that Ikuto knew this too and yet he still pushed her. Sid felt the handle of her sword that hung at her belt, caressing her fingers over the cord wrap - like on the well known sword Katana.
"Sid, just go away" He waved a hand dismissively, while turning his back to look for a shovel.
"Don't turn your back on me!" Sid drew her short sword by the Habaki - blade collar, where the blade connects to the handle - gripping it tight in her fist.
Sid noticed Ikuto staring at her sword, she knew he was listening now. He appeared a little closer than before, the light now glowing on his features, glinting a reddish glow from Ikuto's eyes. Sid tried to look more finely by squinting her eyes, but pain twinged in her fist. Shifting her view to her fist, she saw blood starting to gush out and pour down the blade before dripping to the floor.
Her hand now shaky, Sid dropped the blade, allowing it to chime and clatter. She raised her hand to her face to look at the gash, when she looked back to Ikuto, he was standing before her, it startled her at first. But his glowering eyes are what frighten her, forcing her to back up until her back touched the wall.
Sid had never seen Ikuto like this before, he looked hungry, as if he was a predator and thinking like that made her feel like the prey. Both his hands gripped her hand and Sid flinched as her hand was pulled up to his mouth, where his lips enclosed around the wound and then he sucked. 
Before long Sid was dizzy and felt light headed.

Miko suddenly alert, feeling the addiction for feeding. He tossed his head back and forth looking for Ikuto. Finding the greenhouse he rushed through the door, finding Ikuto stand over Sid, sucking blood from her hand. Milo resisting the want to feed, pulled Ikuto away from Sid and let her fall to the floor.
Ikuto must have exhausted her and nearly killed her by drinking her dry. Ikuto was sitting in the corner now, arms around knees. Miko felt ashamed, it was Ikuto's feelings he knew but couldn't help it.
When Ikuto finally climbed to his feet he spoke calmly and controlled like always "Leave me Miko"
"But what-"
But Miko was broke off by Ikuto "It'll be fine" He gave a small smile.
Miko reluctantly walked out the greenhouse and as the sun touched his skin, for a moment it burned, just a little, like a pinch.

Sid struggled to get to her feet and rested on one of the four support beams closest to her. Ikuto loomed in the shadows, wearing a dark cloak that helped him in his cover. Sid remembered Milo's voice, or did she dreamt it. She didn't know any more, she didn't understand what was happening.
"What are you?" Sid demanded, she was determined to get answers.
Ikuto was silent for a minute and than looked up at her "You know of the illness that has been spreading across the Kingdom?" Ikuto asked.
"Of course, everyone knows of that. What does that have to-"
"Well," - Ikuto broke Sid off - "You know of the stories that have been going around, about people going missing in the night and showing up nights later dead?" Ikuto continued "They call the people who done it monsters" Ikuto whispered from the shadows.
Sid knew of some of the stories, like the one about Miss Potsson's missing daughter Valerie, who was coming home from her lovers house, when she disappeared. About two nights later she showed up half way across the city, half of her face missing and scratches the length of a sword down her body and legs, they didn't know it was her until Miss Potsson identified her.
"What are you saying Ikuto?" Sid asked a little shaken "Do you know how Valerie died? You know who killed her?"
"Yes and no" Ikuto answered "I know how, but not who"
Sid listened carefully.
"You see, the illness turns the best of us into creatures, Sid" A chill drifted into Sid's clothes making her shiver the slightest "It makes you thirst for the living and you can never be human again. You have the gift of immortality, but what's the point of living forever if there's no-one to live for?" Ikuto asked, almost to himself.
"You're sick Ikuto?" Sid asked sympathetic.
He nodded.
"What of Miko? Does he know that you're sick?"
"Yes, Sid" Ikuto said "I turned him myself"
That shocked her at first "You mean, his sick too?" Sid couldn't breath.
"Yes. There's a lot you'll never really understand"
"Try me" Sid challenged.
Sighing deeply, Ikuto explained "Me and Miko can feel each others feelings"
What? Sid already didn't understand "Err?"
"I knew you wouldn't understand, that's it I'm done. Just make sure your out of here before-"
"No, no, no, no" Sid interrupted "I can understand" She really wanted to as well, she wanted to know what was happening and how Ikuto felt.
Breathing out a deep breath, Ikuto continued again. He obviously wanted someone to understand. "Well, me and Miko can feel each others feelings. So if I feel sad, Miko feels sad, basically. We can also hear each others thoughts sometimes if we think hard enough" 
Sid couldn't believe if this was really happening; first Kira's death, then getting banished and lastly finding out that Ikuto and Miko are infected with the illness. It just feels like a big scary dream that she wanted to wake up from.
"You drank my blood, does that mean?" Sid asked, fearfully. No matter how much you loved her family and cared for Ikuto and Miko, she didn't want to be a monster. She couldn't think of anyone wanting to.
Ikuto didn't answer for a long time, evading eye contact by staring at the gravel floor. 
Sid never realised that she had never stepped foot in the greenhouse and don't think that anyone ever did. There were four support beams that stood in a square, rusty and struggling to hold up even her weight. Gravel and dirt trashed across the floor, along with every pot either smashed on the floor with flowers leaking out or stood up unhampered with, with nothing contained within. Windows smudged with greasy dirt that prevented anyone seeing in or out.
But Sid just waited for Ikuto to reply, she was desperate.
Finally his voice stretched across the short distance "I'm sorry" Breaking at the end, filling with tears.
Sid stared at his figure in the dark, hunched over shoulders and face hidden within his cloak. Finally she fought past the lump in her throat "Ikuto..." Her voice weak and stretched, but she didn't care any more if he heard it, he condemned her to a life of want. "...When will it happen?" 
Differing on a note as if thinking, Ikuto finally lifted his view to her "It depends on the person. If they have a strong, good soul; then ages, maximum two weeks and two days. If your soul is tainted, then seconds" 
It hit her. Seconds. Sid found it hard to even breath now.
"Row wants to know when your coming out, she's worried" Ikuto spoke plainly.
Before Sid could question how he knew, she remembered that Miko and him are connected. Sighing, Sid struggled to get up, with the aid of a hand on knee. Making her way to the door Sid stopped.
"Bye forever, Ikuto" And she meant it, forever. Because she was banished till the day she dies and is on her way to becoming immortal. At the end of the sentence, her voice was lost within emotion; realisation. 
Sid is an orphan. Alone. No family. But, when she met Ikuto, everything changed; they had each other. Sid never remembered Ikuto telling her that he had no family, but yet again. He never told her he did. Leaving here was what Sid presumed, leaving her family, because that was what they are to her. Family. Something she believed she never had and never will, but she managed to achieve it.
Stumbling out of the greenhouse into the blinding light, Row stood patiently; her face creasing with a smile as she saw Sid. Miko stood next to the grave, worried about Ikuto obviously. Sid didn't understand why Miko was so loyal to Ikuto. Ikuto turned him into a monster, like he did to her, why would you stand by this man? But Miko couldn't hear her thoughts and Sid started to worry if Ikuto could hear hers.
"Ready sister?" Sid offered her hand out and Row placed hers in it, gripping it tight and nodded, still wearing her smile.
They avenue towards the back gate of the garden, it was the quickest way to get to the East gate. The quicker the better, Sid thought to her self.


© 2010 Midnight_Mask


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

LOL. chapter 7. you do know this is chapter 4 O.O right?
Sooooo much work and so little time. I don't even know how to start on the next chapter. =[

Posted 13 Years Ago


amazing! You notice that there someting wired going on but i just can't put your finger on it. it was a great finish. beautiful chapter!! keep going ^_^ waiting for capter 7. well done!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 20, 2010
Last Updated on June 11, 2010


Author

Midnight_Mask
Midnight_Mask

London, United Kingdom



About
Hi, I am Midnight_Mask and write because that's how I express my feels and how I see life. I've wrote everything from songs, to poems, to short stories, to chapters. One of my goals is to finish a b.. more..

Writing