CHAPTER1 - farewell?

CHAPTER1 - farewell?

A Chapter by Not Here
"

Adalynn discovers that Keenan will be moving.

"

The two had known eachother for more than two years now. They were neither friends or enemies, though every year they would be in the same class together. They barely ever spoke, even if they actually wanted to. But only at school. Who are they you ask? None other than Adalynn and Keenan. At school, they rarely spoke because of the fact that a pair of their friends despised each other. Adalynn would always hang out with Larissa, and Keenan would always hang out with Matthew. Larissa and Matthew hated each other, especially since the year Adalynn moved to their school. Although now one knew why, it was clear they didn't like each other at all. So if they don't like each other, their best friends shouldn't either... right? Unfortunately, the two were hiding something. They both liked each other.

It was almost the end the day. 7th period was practically done, and 8th period was the last period of the day. Everyone was reading their books, as they had all finished copying the science note that their teacher, Ms. Taylor, had posted up on the white board for everyone to see. As the class grew well into their books, Ms. Taylor's voice filled the room. "Okay class, 7th period is over, so I'll let you have period 8 as a free period. You may talk amongst yourselves as long as your volume level doesn't reach outside of this class."

Immediately, the entire class started talking to whatever student was next to them, although many just ran across the room to find their friends. Adalynn turned to Marie, her friend that sat conveniently next to her. "Hey 'Lynn," Marie began, "Are you coming to Keenan's farewell party tomorrow? In the auditorium?"

Farewell party?
she thought. I never knew he was leaving... Adalynn voiced her thoughts to Marie, who cocked her head curiously as she replied, "You never knew? Keenan's moving away for the rest of the year. He might come back grad year though."

Adalynn's head hung down. Of course she would know that. She actually talks to him. I can never get close enough to him without Larissa and Matthew getting into some kind of argument... she thought. Adalynn sighed lightly, quiet enough for Marie not to hear. Unfortunately, she did notice that Adalynn's eyes had sadness clouding them. A sadness she rarely ever saw. She hated seeing her friend like this. But she wasn't the only one. Almost on the opposite side of the room, Keenan was watching Adalynn attentively. Seeing her so sad, he couldn't help but let his own sadness creep into his eyes. Soon his expression was almost a mirrored version on Adalynn's. His friends saw this. Like Marie, they didn't like seeing their own friend this sad. Of course most of them knew about how he felt about Adalynn. Except for Matthew. He was too busy arguing with Larissa that he never noticed the look on his face whenever he was around Adalynn.

Suddenly, Adalynn's head turned to the direction that Keenan was sitting. She had a strange feeling that someone was watching her. She wasn't uncomfortable, but she wanted to see if her suspicions were correct. As she turned, Keenan immediately faced Matthew, who was talking, so Adalynn wouldn't notice that it was him who was staring. When Adalynn saw that none of them were looking her way, she turned back to Marie, who was explaining all the details about the party.

"Okay, so the party's gonna be in the school auditorium and it's gonna be a surprise. I doubt he even knows what we're planning, though I heard that he's gonna have his own private farewell party later on with the guys. Well don't forget, the party's after school. From 3 o' clock to 6 o' clock. Ya think you can make it?"

A "Sure" escaped her lips as she agreed to coming to the party. Suddenly, they heard the dismissal bell ring. The class erupted with noise as everyone gathered their belongings and rushed to their lockers. Adalynn quickly got out her bag and sweater, and rushed out the door. After a few minutes of running, she finally arrived at the Elementary School a few blocks away. She stood by the door, waiting for her younger brother, Marcus, to exit the building. Sure enough, her 5th grade brother walked out of the door, along with several of his friends. They were laughing about something. Probably a story that one of them told. Soon Marcus spotted his older sister and waved to her, saying his goodbyes to his friends. A couple of them were staring at her for some reason she couldn't comprehend. The two walked off towards their home.

At their house, Adalynn was in her room, laying on her back, facing the ceiling above her. She stared up at the blank white ceiling, and started thinking about the whole situation with Keenan. I can't believe he's leaving... I knew it had to end at some point. I just thought that point would be at grad or something. I've gotten over plenty of guys before, so how is he any different? He's just another guy, right? she paused between her thoughts. UGH! What's friggin' wrong with me! I can't even tell him how I feel. He probably doesn't even like me anyway... so it doesn't matter.

Cutting off her thoughts, Adalynn left her room. She grabbed her green iPod and her sweater. It wasn't very cold outside. Probably just a mere 18 degrees or so. Outside, she sat on her doorsteps and switched on her iPod. She scrolled through it's contents before finally finding a song.

Meanwhile, Keenan was on a walk around the neighbourhood. He was pondering about how he was moving and probably wouldn't see Adalynn again. Ugh.. Why'd I have to leave now?! Well.. I guess if I had moved any later it would've caused more pain for me. Maybe I should just tell her... wait. NO I CAN'T DO THAT!  he screamed in his head. Great. I think something's wrong with me. I barely even talk to her, why can't I stop thinking about her?

Suddenly, he heard a voice, making him stop his thoughts.


He knew that voice anywhere. Even if it was singing instead of talking, he could still recognize it. It was the voice he thought of at least ten times a day. The voice he wished he could hear more of. It was Adalynn. She was on her doorstep singing along to her iPod.

The boy stood there, listening to the harmonious voice that filled his head. Soon he realized that she might open her eyes soon, and since he didn't know the song, he didn't know when it would end. He quickly hid behind a nearby tree. Luckily it was thicker than most trees in the area, and concealed him well from her view. Soon he heard the song come to an end.


Peeking out through the tree's leaves, he noticed her open her eyes and stand up. She was heading over to the sidewalk, about to take a walk... S**t! he thought. She's gonna see me and know I've been listening to her. Okay... I'll just.... that's it!

He watched carefully as Adalynn turned around to dust off her pants and retrieve her cellphone which was on the step she previously sat on. Keenan took the chance and swiftly ran over to an intersection in the streets, then as she turned back, he casually walked back towards the tree, this time passing it, making it look as if he had just arrived. Thank God I'm not loud when I run.

As Adalynn turned, she noticed him seemingly come in from the intersection. She gasped lightly. Oh my Gosh! What is he doing here?! She stood there, almost frozen, as Keenan turned to her and smiled. She instantly unfroze and smiled back, walking over to him slowly. They both seemed to look as if they were completely composed, although on the inside, they were both panicking and screaming. Soon they both calmed down, and started a conversation.

"Hey," Adalynn started nervously, though not showing it. "You know, I just found out that you were leaving today."

Gosh that was so stupid.
she thought, slightly panicking again. Keenan was also thinking about this, though it was more along the lines of: Damn I never told her. This is all Matthew's fault. I never get to talk to her!

"Really?" He started, "Sorry I never told you. In fact, I never told anyone but Matthew and them. I guess they just told everyone then..."

The conversation continued on awkwardly, though they somehow managed to get all their words out. Keenan opened his mouth to speak but then a beep replaced his voice. It was Adalynn's cellphone. She immediately shifted her gaze to the piece of technology in her pocket and pulled it out. She cursed then turned to Keenan. "Umm, sorry I gotta go!" she yelled before running off back to her house. Keenan just watched as she ran off.

At home, Adalynn arrived just before her parents pulled into the driveway and came home. She sighed on her bed as she thought of how stupid she thought she was with Keenan. Tomorrow, she thought. I'll try not to be so stupid.







© 2009 Not Here


Author's Note

Not Here
Please correct any mistakes in the names!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Stats

143 Views
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 2, 2009


Author

Not Here
Not Here

The Cupboard Under the Stairs



About
Hello! Well, I'm really not sure what to say so I'll just do the basics: N a m e : - Not telling ;) But just call me Binbin A g e : - Old enough to get an account on this thing legally wi.. more..

Writing