1

1

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick
"

An intro to the story

"

Raise no more devils than you can put down, that's what they told her when they told her that night when they took her world. Its not the devils you should be worrying about but the angels. Yes the saying should be "Call no more angels than thou canst please". The common misconception with devils is that we're all inherently evil when the truth is we're actually no worse than businessmen. We make our contracts with a human, fulfill our end of the deal, then we take our payment as agreed upon. We're bound within the confines of the contract we agree to, angels on the other hand strike out where they please with their "holy" wrath.  That's exactly what with the fall of Michael and the Rapture. All thats left of the human world are the ruined shells of cities and the humans left behind to fend for themselves in the war waging between angels and demons. I suppose it'd be best to begin from the events leading up to this cataclysmic event.


My name is Deveroh and I am a devil. I didn't remember much about my being before she called to me. I was in my hell's realm, Albatrin, a desolate bone dry crag littered with Salith nests. For those who don't know a salith is a scorpion-like creature  with a long spindly neck and it's body is covered with a bony plates harder than steel. Oh, they also have a big temper to go along with their equally large size. While I was roaming my realm a gate to the human world opened and chanting flooded into Albatrin like rain water. I wasn't the type to converse with humans let alone make pacts with them, but it had been quite a while since the last time and I was running out of time. Demons die when they run out of time, like humans, but we can consume the souls of humans to replenish our lost time. As an added bonus a demon's time stands completely still while bound under contract. Anyways, I figured taking this contract was probably harmless enough. Besides, things in Albatrin had been pretty stagnant as of late and I was getting bored with moving my peons like chess pieces to kill one another. The irony of where I came out when I entered the gateway was Fantastic! Once I stepped through I found myself summoned in the basement of a church, though decrepit  and run down. The girl on the other end of the barrier circle was about eighteen years old, pale with brilliant blue eyes and raven black hair with purple highlights. Her pale skin was stained with soot and burned in several places, her clothes were charred at the fringes and wreaked of the acrid smoke that only a house fire can produce. She knelt on the ground looking disparate and pitiful... and especially angry.

 "Human, what is it you desire? Why have you summoned me?"

 She looked up with a tear stained face and in a hoarse voice filled with despair and defiance said, "I wish to make a pact with you devil. What do you say?"

 "I'll say nothing until you state the terms of your contract. That's how these things work. A sacrifice, a wish, and a contract."

 "Revenge." She spat coldly," You help me kill the ones who destroyed my world and help put it back together then upon my death you may have my soul. Also, as a bonus, you may keep the souls of each of the five people I'm after. You may harm none other than those in league with them and follow every order I give."

 I wanted to turn the girl away, I didn't like getting caught up in affairs like this but the rewards were too grand to pass up. Plus it seemed to prove entertaining. "A potential of six souls, you've got my attention girl. Before I agree to the contract please explain to me what happened exactly. I'm quite curious."

 "I am Sidney Ravenwood, the eldest child of the Ravenwood family and now the sole heir. The rest of my family was killed, in sacrifice, tonight by five men in a secret society known as Michel's Templar. Afterwards they destroyed our estate and stole the family's fortune in the vault. I survived by chance. I was able to hide during the sacrifices to the angel Michael then escaped when they burned the manor. Now devil return the favor and tell me about yourself. Why can't I see you clearly, more than a silhouette I mean? There's plenty of light yet you are no more than a shadow."

 "Later, human, there is no time for that now. I accept your contact, Sidney Ravenwood, now step into the barrier to receive it. Just a warning though, the contract will take form as a mark on your body. This will hinder your contract with me, or it may help by allowing me to exploit my full power. It all depends on where you place it, meaning the more visible it is to the general populace the stronger I am."

 "The more visible the mark the more powerful you are? In that case I know exactly where to put it." The burned girl stood proudly and stepped through the barrier.

 Were were no longer in the church, nor were we in Albatrin, but the dark realm between. The barrier zone was pitch black, the only light emitted came from the barrier circle we stood in which shown a bright purple. The barrier was a circle with a triangle within. On each of the three open parts of the circle a line curved from the the point and ,coming right, met in the center at a smaller circle. The first circle was encompassed by a larger circle with Latin writing inscribed in the negative space. On each of the of the three curved lines was a small circle with a symbol inside. On the bottom one was the roman sign for mercury, top left had what looked like a 4 with the front part curled over, and the top right had an ankh.

 "Where will you bare your contract?"

 "My right hand, on the back." She held up her hand to show

 I smiled faintly, admiring the girl's ambition. I approached her slowly and took her hand in mine

 She gasped and tried to wrench her hand away but failed.

 "Stay still, this process will only take a few seconds, though the will be the most painful seconds of your life." I warned

 "What are you to do?" Sidney asked suddenly unsure if she wanted to continue

 "Your skin will be stained by my blood, accepting me into the lining of your being. With it you'll glimpse my hell as our souls link."

 "Your hell? What does that mean?" She inquired

 "All in due time Ms. Ravenwood. Now please hold still." I hold the top of her right hand upward and cover it with my other hand after  making four small cuts with my nails.

 The pain for her was immediate as she screamed right away. As promised it lasted only a few seconds but it must've seemed much longer to her as my blood etched the barrier into her skin. The screaming stopped once she registered that the pain was gone. She examined her hand and traced the lines of the seal now on it that bound us together. Next she realized that we were back in the church, then that I was no longer a shadow. She could see me now.

 I stood six foot seven with a head of black hair that hung over my eyes which were a fiery red. Two dark horns protruded from my head like a pair of trees on an open plain. I was dressed in a white shirt with black pinstripes, black dress slacks, and a red tailcoat. A red fedora with black lining in my hand, a small silver skull glimmered on the ribbon in the candlelight.

 "You are my devil? What is your name?"

 "Yes m'lady. My name is Deveroh Valentine, lord of the realm of Albatrin," I bowed," and your new companion. I am bound to carry out your every order Ms. Ravenwood. What is your first demand of me m'lady?"

 "Take me home. We've much to do and I can't very well be seen in town like this can I?"

 "As you wish, you've got to uphold the Ravenwood name afterall." I picked her up in my arms and dashed away to Ravenwood at top speed. She's picked a good spot for the contract, this could be fun indeed.


 You could tell that the manor was a brilliant home, even in it's charred and smoldering aftermath. I didn't know where my new master planned on getting new clothes from, anything that could catch fire had done so.  I followed her  through the remains of the doorway and into what once was a grand ballroom who's tiled flooring depicted a heavenly mosaic. The marbled staircase, though well blackened, still stood like a gravestone.  To one side of the ballroom stood a large fireplace with an empty metal picture frame that hung proudly above. Sidney took a dilapidated hallway and turned into the charred husk of what used to be the kitchen and went down a flight of concrete stairs into the basement. The basement looked totally untouched by the wicked fingers of flames that had ravaged the rest of the manor. There were boxes and chests neatly arranged as well as miscellaneous items that had been banished to gather dust as they were forgotten. After rummaging through the boxes for a short while Sidney popped up holding a lightly dusted oblong box.

 "Perfect, this dress is from the Christmas ball  last year so it should still fit, though it's a tad bit tacky." She held up the glimmering white dress that was obviously tailored for someone of high standing, complete with arm length gloves that would more than cover her contract.

 I was impressed by her thought process because it was clear she had planned this out from the moment I told her the rules of the contract. I had no doubt she was already planning out how to track down these targets of hers.


 Town, as she called it, was a small city known as Havenveil whose main profit was the Candy factory that employed most of it's inhabitants. The sight of Ms. Ravenwood and myself on the streets caused worried looks and busy whispering. I guess no one had seen or heard from her for days after the incident. Our first stop was the insurance office. Cold hard fact of life is that you're of no value to anyone without money. We met with the  Ravenwood's agent, Mr. Tweedly, about settling what was to happen to the manor and the other aspects of the acclaimed "house fire".

 "Well Ms. Ravenwood you're in luck, the Manor, the cars, everything was fully insured. As for the more delicate matters of your family's life insurance. You lost everyone, everything in the fire no?" Mr. Tweedly  pushed his glasses up to his rat-like face that was only fitting for him.

 "I did Mr. Tweedly. Mum and Dad as well as my brother, David." Sidney started to tear up

 "Come now, no tears Ms. Ravenwood. I know things are hard for you but it'll all get better in time. Won't they Mr. Umm.." Mr . Tweedly looked up at me for reassurance

 "Mr. Valentine, I'm a family friend. Yes Sidney, things will undoubtedly get better, but before they do we must focus-"

 "On the here and now." Tweedy cut in, "And in the here and now you need to find a place to live, a vehicle, the essential essentials for life and all that is necessary for someone of your standing Ms. Ravenwood."

 Sidney's eyes locked onto Tweedly in a venomous glare for a split second before she quickly softened her gaze and asked, "I wish to rebuild the manor Mr. Tweedly. How many credits do I have to work with in insurance money alone? As I'm sure you're well aware money is no issue with me, but currently  I haven't a cent to my name until I'm able to take full control over the family business."

 "Well taking that into consideration you'll be receiving about," Mr. Tweedly punched some numbers into a calculator before he looked up again, "eighteen million credits, more than enough to reclaim your life."

 "Once something is truly lost it can never be recovered, credits can never buy back lives Mr. Tweedly." Sidney spat

 "My apologies Ms. Ravenwood, I didn't mean it like that."

 "Of course you didn't Mr. Tweedly," I smile "we know that. Anyways how soon would we be able to collect this money so that repairs to the estate may begin as soon as possible?" I smiled again to show a measure of friendliness.

 "I can possibly get it to you in a few days to a week. You have to understand that this is a lot of credits, I can't just reach into the agency's vault and hand it all over right now. There's simply not enough." Tweedly rambled

 "I understand Mr. Tweedly. Is there anyway we could get a place to stay until we're able to get the insurance money? Please." Sidney pushed her position to her advantage

 I began to wonder to myself how much this hurt her, if at all. It was definitely something to bring up later.

 "I'm sorry Ms. Ravenwood, there is nothing I can do. I'm truly sorry for your losses."


We stopped at the bank next where Sidney pulled out everything that was left in her account.

 "Lying b*****d. I never did like that Tweedly. Of course he could've used my name to get us a room in a hotel or something until the credits arrive. Now I'm reduced to taking last the last credits to my name. "

 "M'lady, you seem to be fairly worked up over this."

 "You think? Deveroh, no offense but that was stupid."

 "Yes m'lady. At the risk of being stupid again, may I suggest that you just order me to find accommodations for us?"

"You could do that?" She asked blankly

 "You really have no faith in me do you Ms. Ravenwood. It's my duty to be able to meet any of your needs as a servant of Ravenwood. Please wait here while I go do my job." I bowed my head and turned on my heel

 "Wait. How long will you be?" Sidney calls after me

 "It shouldn't be long. Very well m'lady do as you please in town and should you need me just call."

 I went back to the Manor and began my work. As a devil I've got the ability to change my form to suit my needs, and at the time I needed tools. First I turned my arm into a chainsaw and felled a few trees before turning them into neatly cut planks.  After all that was done with I began to fashion walls and a roof of a shed we'd use for the next few days until the construction crew could begin recreating the manor.  The project took me no more than two and a half hours. The shed came out looking more like a small cabin. It was multi-roomed having a bed, bath, and living room, and a kitchen. Shortly after I put the finishing touches on it I heard Sidney call for me from town. I was miles away but thanks to the contract on her hand it was like she was right next to me. I dashed off to fetch my master and arrived just in time to... to... carry her shopping bags. Using the credits from her bank account she bought several outfits, both casual and formal, as well as food and supplies.

 "Do you wish to go back to the manor now or is there more we need to do here?" I ask taking bags in both hands

 "There is one last thing to take care of here. I don't want to do it but it needs to be done. Follow me Dev."

 "Dev my lady?" I ask startled

 "Yes, it's a nickname. Besides calling you Deveroh all the time seems too formal to me, not to mention exhausting. You don't mind do you?"

 "Not at all Ms. Ravenwood. Please direct me to where we need to go and I will lead the way for you."

 "I need to see the undertaker."

 "I see. Right away m'lady."


The undertaker wasn't too hard to locate since it was the the only place in town with coffins sitting up front. The sign on the building read J.T. Rippet undertaking and funeral arraignments. The air  around the building was drenched in the presence of formaldehyde and rose oil. The undertaker was standing there in the waiting room as we walked in, almost as if he was waiting for us. He was a bony man with a bald head and sunken features wearing a black robe that was far too big for him.

 "Jacob Rippet, Havenveil's best undertaker." The man introduced as we walked in

 "Also Havenveil's only undertaker." Sidney pointed out, "I need to set up a funeral date for my family."

 "So I've heard. Whole town has been simply buzzing about your return. I was starting to wonder where you went. I've already prepared your family's corpses. It'll have to be a closed casket of course, not much I'm able to do with a mass of charred flesh and bone."

 This seemed to hit Sidney rather hard as a hand clasped over her mouth and tears escaped down her face. This reaction I could tell was real.

 "M'lady, do you wish for me to take care of these arrangements? I can run you home quickly."

 "No Deveroh, I need to do this." She said in a shaky breath

 "Very well Ms. Ravenwood." I took a few steps back and watched the undertaker intently. There was something about this man that made him stick out in my mind. I almost recognized him but couldn't  put an identity to the face. I took a seat as the undertaker and my new master walked away ,talking the business of death, still not taking my eyes  off this man. I knew he was dangerous, I think Sidney could tell this too.



© 2013 J.R. Bergwick


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

278 Views
Added on April 8, 2013
Last Updated on April 8, 2013
Tags: Blood, Angel, Angel Blood, Angels, Demons, Devils, Horsemen, Death, War, Apocalypse, Rapture, Sydney, Deveroh, Valentine


Author

J.R. Bergwick
J.R. Bergwick

Isanti, MN



About
I'm an 18 year old writer. I've been writing stories most of my life, mostly short stories. I've complete led on novel and am currently working on it's sequel and a separate novel. I enjoy writing bec.. more..

Writing
2 2

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


3 3

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick


4 4

A Chapter by J.R. Bergwick