Standing Torture!

Standing Torture!

A Story by Zephyr
"

Standing all day...........

"

My legs are blazing with pain. I look for a chair. And to my intense irritation, it’s only a few feet away from me. I want to limp towards it and sit.


But No! I can’t. The CCTV, like a monster, is watching each nook and corner. A day of standing has worn out all my energy.


Now, I see a customer approaching towards me. Darn it! Not now! So not now!


A beautiful lady, draped in blue sari, approaches. She walks towards me and points her hands towards the rack of clothes above me.


“The yellow one, towards the top, take it” she commands without even passing me a smile.


My head’s spinning. Everything is in a blur. Yet, as a dutiful sales woman, I turn around and grope about in the rack for a yellow sari.


There are so many yellow ones.


“Which one, ma’am?” I ask meekly.


“Towards the top” she is snappy.


I drag out the sari she wanted.


 “It suits you madam” a clichéd sales trick follows.


She examines the sari like a preying vulture. She finds many faults in its design and print. She is not satisfied.


She asks for a red sari, then an orange one and then the list goes on. She is not satisfied with anything.


I can’t take this any longer. I am sure I will faint. My hands search for a support and I press upon my customer’s hand.


She jerks it away like I am some kind of stray dog. As I faint, the last lines I hear are:


              “Useless! She just has to stand and is not even good at that!”

© 2017 Zephyr


Author's Note

Zephyr
I came across a news report that sales women are not allowed to sit.
This is an extreme human rights violation.
Serving customers shouldn't demand standing workers.
Employers have to empathize with their workers and come up with humane measures.
I wrote this short story with the hope that sales workers will be treated more humane-like by the customers.
Without their assistance, forget quality shopping!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Sadly it is the world we all live in now, our rights are being ignored and our feelings are being crushed.

Well written Neetha :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Zephyr

7 Years Ago

I agree with you:)
I am glad to read your words!
Joey Nizz

7 Years Ago

I am glad that you do and your very much welcome. :)
Very true, I have lived it, in person but in a Fast food franchise, where I was told, I could not sit unless, told to and had to be ready to be called to any station and or duty. So I did my best, in spite of the back pain, and strain on my legs. It got to be to where my colleagues nicknamed me Speedy Gonzalez. Well written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Zephyr

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much:)
Your review means a lot as you have experienced what I have written.
read more
This is reality...
Human rights are being ignored and nothing much is happening for gender-equality.
You've explained all this very well, so great job!!
Keep it up

Posted 7 Years Ago


Zephyr

7 Years Ago

I totally agree with you:)
Thank you so much Shaan:)
Mr.Writer

7 Years Ago

No problem :)
wonderful write.....great work

Posted 7 Years Ago


Zephyr

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much Wajiha:)

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

804 Views
24 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2017
Last Updated on June 3, 2017
Tags: Tired, Empathy, Workload

Author

Zephyr
Zephyr

India



About
21. Seeking the calm in the chaos. more..

Writing
Blooming Life Blooming Life

A Story by Zephyr


Monsters Monsters

A Poem by Zephyr


The Visit The Visit

A Story by Zephyr



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Apocalypse! Apocalypse!

A Story by Zephyr