Intro Promo

Intro Promo

A Chapter by Nathan Weaver
"

The Onyx gang is putting a little intro video of the company together, but Nathan has his own take on things.

"

EXT. WEAVER ABODE, EVENING. In black and white. CUT.
 
INT. WEAVER ABODE, MOMENTS LATER. NATHAN (dressed in a suit, hair slicked, etc.) is standing with his back to the camera, looking through some books on a bookshelf. He turns around and sees the camera. When he speaks, he speaks in a Rod Serling voice (and acting).
 
NATHAN
Ah, good evening. You caught me off-guard. I was looking for my favorite book. Ah, there it is, The Importance of Being Ernest. But, that’s all irrelevant. Hello, I’m Nathan Weaver, co-executive producer of Onyx Dragon Productions. Onyx Dragon Productions is an independent production company and we are pleased to be getting off to a fresh start. We here at Onyx Dragon Productions feel like a baby being born, but without all the blood and proper equipment. We feel like a bird flying for the first time, except without falling painfully a few times. Like a horse in a fantasy film that carries the hero for several thousand miles, but eventually falls to its death from lack of nourishment due to the hero’s undying concern for the characters of the story and lack of concern for his own horse’s wellbeing. Except, we won’t die, we’ll carry our hero valiantly to his destination. Unscathed and unharmed. Heroically and with valor. I suppose what I am trying to say is with a grand, triumphant entrance.
 
DAVID
(off-camera) Cut!
 
Black and white fades to color.
 
DAVID
Nathan, what was that?
 
NATHAN
What, David? What was what?
 
DAVID
That wasn’t the script we approved.
 
NATHAN
Yeah, it was.
 
HEATHER
No, it wasn’t, Nathan.
 
NATHAN
Look guys, this was the second draft.
 
HEATHER
There was a second draft?
 
DAVID
I never saw a second draft.
 
HEATHER
Nathan, did you forget to attach the file to your Email again?
 
NATHAN
Yeah, you know what Heather, maybe I did do that.
 
DAVID
It’s not forgetting, if you do it on purpose, Nathan.
 
NATHAN
Really?
 
HEATHER
Oh, my, not again.
 
DAVID
Do you have a copy of the second draft on you?
 
NATHAN
Yes.
 
DAVID
Can we have it?
 
NATHAN
Sure, here. (hands them scripts)
 
DAVID and HEATHER look over the script for a moment.
 
HEATHER
This isn’t the same script.
 
NATHAN
Yes, it is.
 
HEATHER
No, it’s not. You didn’t say any of this stuff.
 
NATHAN
Well, I was adlibbing a little bit.
 
HEATHER
A little? It’s not even close. It’s not even the same concept.
 
NATHAN
Heather, I’m just bringing some color to it with my performance, that’s all.
 
HEATHER
This script has unicorns, Nathan! Where are the unicorns? I don’t see any unicorns. 
 
NATHAN
I figured we could add those digitally later.
 
DAVID
Nathan, do you know how to digitally animate unicorns?
 
NATHAN
No.
 
DAVID
Do we know how to digitally animate unicorns?
 
NATHAN
No.
 
DAVID
Does anyone we know know how to digitally animate unicorns?
 
NATHAN
No.
 
DAVID
Then why are there unicorns in this script?
 
NATHAN
Because it adds so much.
 
HEATHER
Nathan, this is the worst script I’ve ever read and the script you were performing a minute ago is definitely the worst script I’ve ever heard.
 
NATHAN
It’s not that bad.
 
HEATHER
It really sucks.
 
NATHAN
No, it doesn’t.
 
DAVID
Well, it is a little reminiscent of Walt Disney introducing his next full-length animation or something.
 
NATHAN
Exactly! That’s kinda what I was going for.
 
DAVID
But that’s not the script we approved and quite frankly it sucks. (pause) And what was with the Rod Serling voice you had going on?
 
NATHAN
You noticed? Pretty cool, huh?
 
HEATHER
Who’s Rod Serling?
 
NATHAN
The Twilight Zone guy. I am so much older than you guys.
 
DAVID
Nathan, you’re only one year older than me.
 
NATHAN
Point made.
 
HEATHER
What? That doesn’t even make any sense.
 
NATHAN
That’s because you’re like a kid. When you get to be my age, it all comes full-circle, trust me.
 
DAVID
Nathan, can we get back on task here?
 
NATHAN
David, I’m not the one who cried cut.
 
HEATHER
Yes, let’s finish this little promo, but stick to the original script.
 
NATHAN
Not a problem. (beat) Which one is the original script?
 
HEATHER
The first one.
 
DAVID
Yeah, the one we all approved of.
 
NATHAN
Oh, that one. I hate that one. It’s got no color. No pizzazz.
 
HEATHER
But, it’s good and that’s all that counts.
 
NATHAN
Quality is so superficial.
 
HEATHER
I cannot believe that you just said quality is superficial.
 
NATHAN
Hey, don’t misquote me, young lady. I said, “Quality is so superficial.”
 
DAVID
Whatever, guys, seriously. Let’s finish this.
 
HEATHER
Whoa, wait a minute! You were doing the Twilight Zone guy for a script that’s supposed to be like a Walt Disney announcement? Where did that come from?
 
NATHAN
Heather, it’s called adding color.
 
HEATHER
But you weren’t even doing it in color. It was in black and white.
 
NATHAN
Not literal color. (laughs) Holy cow, go to school, Heather.
 
HEATHER
What? Go to school? Nathan, when was the last time you took a college course?
 
NATHAN
Two years ago.
 
HEATHER
And aren’t we both sophomores in college?
 
NATHAN
Yeah.
 
HEATHER
Then how do you get off telling me to go to school? I am going to school and I’m younger than you and I’m at the same grade level you are. 
 
NATHAN
Whatever…
 
DAVID
You know what? Forget it. I’m gonna do this. (to camera) Close-up on me. (beat) We here at Onyx Dragon Productions promise you art… and quality entertainment. We’re excited to be working together and doing what we love. (beat) Cut. (beat) There, that’s it. It’s over.
 
HEATHER
Sure, works for me.
 
AWKWARD PAUSE.
 
NATHAN
I don’t know about the quality entertainment part, but I guess it could work.
 
AWKWARD PAUSE.
 
 
END SCENE.



© 2009 Nathan Weaver


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hehe.....yeah I'm liking this so far. It's always fun to write about yourself, isn't it? Speaking of which....I should probably go do my Project 30 chapter. Gotta document that one time I fought a hundred Stephen King fans! Ahh, that sure was a good time...

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 4, 2009


Author

Nathan Weaver
Nathan Weaver

Rolla, MO



About
Well, I'm not a big fan of writing about myself. Nonetheless, here goes... I work full-time at the Missouri University of Science and Technology as a Video Production Specialist in relation to Distanc.. more..

Writing