Family Plot

Family Plot

A Chapter by Nathan Weaver
"

Heather has been thinking too hard, David disapproves.

"

INT. DAVID’S HOUSE. HEATHER and DAVID are talking.
 
HEATHER
I’m telling you David, it’s weird. We haven’t heard from Crystal, she doesn’t answer her cell phone or return her phone calls and we haven’t seen her in like three or four weeks. 
 
DAVID
It makes as much sense as the time Nathan wrote those scripts even though several of the keys on his keyboard were broken.
 
FLASHBACK TO 45-minute improv.
 
JOHNNY
Uh, Nathan, there’s no E’s in this entire script.
 
NATHAN
My E letter on my keyboard, it’s um... it broke.
 
DAVID
(laughs)
 
NATHAN
And I replaced it with an R, so that’s why there’s R’s for every E.
 
DAVID
(stops laughing ) What?
 
NATHAN
If that makes sense?
 
DAVID
How am I gonna… (starts flipping through script)
 
NATHAN
You see what I’m saying?
 
DAVID
How am I gonna read this with no E’s and all R’s?
 
NATHAN
You just replace the E’s with R’s.
 
TRACIE
Then how do you know if an R is an E or an R?
 
NATHAN
Well, isn’t it obvious?
 
JOHNNY
No.
 
NATHAN
I thought it was obvious; (laughs) I mean how many R’s can you use in a word?
 
CUT back to PRESENT.
 
HEATHER
It can only mean one thing… Nathan killed Crystal.
 
DAVID
Nathan did not kill his wife.
 
HEATHER
Seriously, have you seen the way he’s been acting, especially when you mention Crystal? She’s dead. She’s soo dead.
 
DAVID
Honey, do you honestly think Nathan has the brain capacity to plan anything much less the perfect murder?
 
HEATHER
He could be like one of those people who fake their ignorance to lead people on. Like Jessica Simpson. People say she’s a genius, because she seems to be such an idiot but she probably isn’t in real life.
 
DAVID
Behaving as if you’re an idiot to the point people start to believe it is anything but genius. It pretty much means you’re an idiot.
 
HEATHER
David, I’m serious.
 
DAVID
So am I. Nathan didn’t kill anybody. Nathan may be the dumbest person I know, but he’s not that dumb. And I know a lot of idiots.
 
HEATHER
People kill their spouses all the time.
 
DAVID
Yes, but for what? What incentive does Nathan have to kill Crystal?
 
HEATHER
Oh, yeah… the motive. (thinks) Their relationship probably just fell to pieces or something.
 
DAVID
People don’t kill for reasons like that anymore. It’s called irreconcilable differences and that’s what divorce is for. If you murder your spouse now, it’s gotta be in a fit of rage or for a life insurance policy.
 
HEATHER
Really? A life insurance policy? People do that?
 
DAVID
Some yes.
 
HEATHER
Does it work?
 
DAVID
Crime doesn’t pay… and you have to be married to me before you can get a life insurance policy.
 
HEATHER
Don’t be gruesome.
 
DAVID
Well… what am I suppose to think?
 
HEATHER
I still say he killed her.
 
DAVID
You’re crazy.
 
HEATHER
As a friend, you have to consider the consequences if we don’t do anything.
 
DAVID
As a friend, you should consider the repercussions of opening your big mouth in front of the wrong person.
 
HEATHER
We could practically be accessories.
 
DAVID
Accessories to what? Nothing’s happened.
 
HEATHER
Something has happened and I aim to find out. (starts to exit)
 
DAVID
Heather, please tell me you won’t do something I’ll have to answer for later. At least take the full responsibility of your actions.
 
HEATHER
Very funny. You’ll thank me later!
 
 
END EPISODE.



© 2009 Nathan Weaver


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

NATHAN! How...dare you!?!

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

142 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 4, 2009


Author

Nathan Weaver
Nathan Weaver

Rolla, MO



About
Well, I'm not a big fan of writing about myself. Nonetheless, here goes... I work full-time at the Missouri University of Science and Technology as a Video Production Specialist in relation to Distanc.. more..

Writing