I Discover The Joys of Poisoning People

I Discover The Joys of Poisoning People

A Chapter by SwagMaster
"

Ahem. The title does not mean what you think.

"

We reached the meeting-room, and found the computer kid up front giving a talk on how we were going to get out of here, and how much time we had left. I quickly located Kate's pink hair, and sent Damien and Peter over to the rest of our group. I took the three new escapees with me up to the stage to listen to the computer boy.

"We have less than three hours to load up the trucks and leave." the computer geek spoke loudly so everyone could hear him. "I scrambled their systems, erased their backups, covered all the bases, but there's still a chance they could fix their computers, which means they can track the vehicles, so once the gas tank is empty, leave it." He surveyed the crowd, and seemed to become aware of the hundreds of eyes staring at him. Growing visibly nervous, he quickly wrapped it up.

"In conclusion, we need to move fast, and now." He spotted me on the stairs, and looked relieved, hurrying off the stage and leaving it to me. I mounted the steps with the three new additions in tow, telling them about the groups and such, and to announce their names one by one. The girl went first, then the two boys, and waited until some group raised their hands, then went over to join them. I cleared my throat to get everyone's attention.

"We have to establish rules here." I announced. "I'm going to be frank with you; it's basically every kid for him or herself. If you run into a bad patch of luck, you will have a hard time finding another group, and even if you do, they have no obligation to help you, and have the option of turning you away. This is serious, guys. We each have our own families now, and they'll come first, every time. You cannot expect to live on the support of the other groups, because that's not going to happen. When we leave in those cars, we'll all go our separate ways, and we will disappear, hide ourselves from everyone. It's not wise to continue communication with each other, so this is the last day we will all be in one place." I paused and looked at all the assembled people, seeing only frightened and confused children, trying to survive in a world of adults, and I felt hopelessly and utterly lost for a moment. I quickly pushed it away. 

"Not all of us will survive." I continued bleakly. "Some will be lost, and I feel sorry for that, but there is nothing we can do, except continue on, running from these people, and hope one day we can live without constantly watching our backs." I stopped again, thinking of the right words to say. "We are all different from the rest of the world, and that makes them hate and fear us. They don't know how to deal with us. We have to be strong, and remember different is better!" Murmurings of agreement rippled through the crowd, until they grew to full-volume cheering. "Now let's get out of here!" I shouted, and ran to my group. Damien smiled and winked at me, still carrying Peter.

And with the computer boy leading the way, we marched to our escape.

We stopped in front of a plain metal door, which swung open with a slight creak. Inside, there were about a hundred shiny black SUVs. On the far wall in the back, and huge garage door slid open, letting in harsh sunlight. Masses of people swarmed the cars, filing into random cars with their respective groups. Engine were revved, and cars started pouring out of the garage, and tearing off in some random direction.

Within minutes, only eight cars were left. One was already running, but it sat there, waiting. The computer boy was still standing by us, punching a few more numbers into the keypad. He started to walk towards his car, paused, then jogged over to us.

"You guys coming?" He was looking specifically at Kate, but when she met his gaze, he lowered his immediately, blushing. In the distance, the running car honked.

"Come on, Alex!" someone shouted, but Alex ignored them.

"Well, good luck." he said bashfully, sneaking another peek at Kate. I grinned at his shyness.

"Good luck." I extended a hand, and he shook it. Peter had passed out a  while ago from sheer exhaustion, and Damien shifted his brother's weight so he could shake Alex's hand and offer a smile. Alex's car honked again, and a spark of courage flashed in the computer geek's eyes.

"Good bye, Kate." he blurted, leaned over, and kissed Kate on the mouth. He then set off in a sprint, running faster than I ever thought possible, over to his car, jumping in, and just managing to shut the door before it sped off.

"Jesus Christ! He is a sucky kisser!" Kate wiped her lips in disgust.

"Language, Kate." I said sternly. "Everyone, we still have one more person to rescue. Damien, I need someone to come with me. Someone who would be safe in a room with Auriela. Set Peter down by the door and come with me." Damien hesitated, but complied, and we set off for my sister.

"We have to sedate her somehow." I stopped in front of a door. "This is the medicine room; Alex showed me a map of this place." I groaned as I spotted the keypad by the door. "I don't know the code!" I mourned. Damien observed the thick metal door.

"Move." he pushed me to the side, and backed up against the opposite wall. With a yell, he charged the entryway, ramming his shoulder into the door. It crumpled like paper, and Damien pulled it off of its hinges and tossed it down the hall with ease. He motioned for me to follow him in the room.

The walls were lined with shelves, the shelves packed with different concoctions in bottles. On the table, there was half a turkey sandwich, like someone had left their lunch in their mad rush to get to rooms C4 through C6. Next to the forgotten lunch, there was a very thick manila folder, with CONFIDENTIAL blazoned across the front. As Damien started to search for their strongest sedative, I flipped open the folder. On the first page, at the top, Exp. 1235679 was printed, and more writing underneath.

It was their information on Auriela!

"Hey, found it!" Damien held up a bottle in triumph. "Strongest one they have. How will we get her to take it?" I was stumped, until both of our eyes gravitated to the forgotten sandwich.

"How much do we give her?" I mused, and flipped through the folder to the last page, and skimmed it. "To successfully sedate her, we need exactly thirty ounces, which is almost two pounds." Damien read the bottle.

"There are six ounces in each bottle." he announced.

"Grab five and soak them into the bread." I ordered him, and he trotted over with the containers. As he poured the sleep medicine over the bread, we both stared in dismay as the bread became wet and unappealing with its new found sogginess. But with no time left, there was nothing we could do.

After I tucked the folder under my arm and gathered the plate and its contents, Damien and I hurried out of the drugs room, setting off for Auriela's cell in a dead run.

Time was running out.

Within minutes, we arrived at the room, panting. Slowly pushing the plate through the food slot, I had to suppress a shriek as it was instantly snatched from my hand. Ravenous chewing emitted from the cell, and I waited with Damien in breathless silence until the frantic devouring ceased.

Thud.

I flashed the key card across the black box, and as soon as the door unlocked, Damien threw open the door and ran inside. The light from the hallway only lit up the place a few feet from the door before the sheer darkness swallowed it. Auriela was on the ground, the plate laying near her hand, where it had fallen. Damien snatched up my little sister, and we hurtled out of the room, sprinting back to the garage.

We came running through the door, interrupting an argument about which part of the pig hot dogs come from, between Dexter and Jeremy. I groaned inwardly. Boys are so annoying.

"We have to go!" I interrupted.

"But-" Jeremy and Dexter began.

"No buts!" I yelled, and pushed them towards the nearest car. "Damien, you have to drive!" I commanded, and he grinned.

"I am a driving pro. When my mom was drunk, I had to drive all the time. Get in!" Damien replied, plopped himself in the driver's seat, and got the keys out of the little compartment as the rest of us piled into the car, me in the front with Auriela in my lap. Damien inserted the keys and revved the engine.

"Seatbelts!" I called, and clicked my own place. Damien floored the gas pedal and the car roared out of the garage. I swore as the sudden start knocked my head against the window.

"Language, Adri." Kate said snidely, and I glared at her for a second before her cocky smile infected me, also. As I surveyed the rest of the team; Dexter and Jeremy continuing on their fight, Sadie absentmindedly fiddling with her sweater, Ella trying to break up the hot dog fight, Kate still triumphant. As I slowly swiveled my gaze to Auriela, her eyes twitching, an indication of nightmares, my smile wavered. Damien touched my hand, startling me.

"It'll be okay." he told me reassuringly, his hand still on the wheel. I smiled at him.

Maybe it would be.



© 2012 SwagMaster


Author's Note

SwagMaster
I decided this was the best way for Adri to safely bring Auriela along. Tell me what you think!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I felt as if everything just begun lol. ^_^ I frankly think that Alex's personality in this story was cute, kind of reminding me of Minoru Kokobunji from Chobits. Anyways, this was a great write :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I freaking hate you Bella.

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

336 Views
2 Reviews
Added on January 1, 2012
Last Updated on May 13, 2012


Author

SwagMaster
SwagMaster

Roosevelt, UT



About
I use swag ironically so much that it's not ironic anymore. more..

Writing
NoName NoName

A Chapter by SwagMaster


NoName NoName

A Chapter by SwagMaster


NoName NoName

A Chapter by SwagMaster