Home of the Brave

Home of the Brave

A Poem by Dara
"

When and how will it end?

"
Beautiful for spacious skies,
oh Father hear your children's cries.
How can we change the hearts of men
who are addicted to greed, who glorify guns?
Entrenched in sadness and filled with fear
when mournful cries fall on those deaf ears.

We march, we protest, we pray out loud
with clenched fists but with heads bowed.
We talk, we listen yet go on heeding
those vile words, Lord stop the bleeding.
Holding children in cages, what have we become?
Putting 'his' America first is not my home.

We are still one nation, patriots too,
but the air is thick with political spew.
Have we lost sight of loving one another,
treating friends and neighbors like leftover fodder?
Feeling lost and  searching for answers today
to keep America free and home of the brave.


© 2018 Dara


Author's Note

Dara
Made some changes from my first draft, including the title. Trying to remain positive but feeling hopeless today.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

These are dark and difficult times for most of us. (The reasonable, sane ones, methinks) Perhaps I'm a fool, but I still have hope that good will triumph over evil. All but the most zombified of the orange ogre's supporters are abandoning him, proving that some people can wake up. May it be a trend.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dara

5 Years Ago

You are so right, Sam. I do believe there are much better days ahead also. Perhaps we are dodging a .. read more
You've greatly voiced my own sentiments, Dara, word for word. Bless you for that!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dara

5 Years Ago

Thank you so much Kelly. Deep down I think many people feel the same way but it is going to take alo.. read more
Leaders all over have lost their ethics and humility. The wise leader speaks slowly and softly so that people calm under what he or she has to say. A hornet is nothing more than a nuisance who plays the role he/she chose to take but in fact is totally unsuitable for.

Your words remind people to beware the clamour and blather of 'horrible' words and the direction they take. Your words are caring, considerate and honest.. pity you're not in politics, DAra.

Posted 5 Years Ago


emmajoy

5 Years Ago

How very true, Dara. What a wonderful poem is yours. Just read again.. says so much more than it act.. read more
Dara

5 Years Ago

Can’t think of a better compliment than to have one of my favorite people come back for ‘seconds.. read more
emmajoy

5 Years Ago

Truly was and always is my pleasure to call in and read your words, Dara... Smile into the night and.. read more
Your poignant piece reminded me of this;

2 Timothy 3:1-5

1 But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. 2 People will be lovers of themselves, lovers of money, boastful, proud, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, 3 without love, unforgiving, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not lovers of the good, 4 treacherous, rash, conceited, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God— 5 having a form of godliness but denying its power. Have nothing to do with such people.

You are not alone with your share – people are getting anxious and worried about how the world is unfolding! :-)

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dara

5 Years Ago

Yes, I have read that same passage from 2 Timothy and it is frightfully close to what we are startin.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
.
This is another piece i have read that demonstrates just how upset all of you Americans are at life under the Trump administration.

Being from Australia, i cannot pass judgement on what is happening in your country. From afar, I read articles and watch news stories that are mostly scathing of the choices your President is making. His conduct is at times, unbefitting of the position he holds. Yet I also watch from afar as he makes his claims of putting America first, and being scolded and ridiculed for some of the things he is undertaking to achieve that aim. Politicians are all the same everywhere, but I do believe that chances and patience should be given to see if any positives can come from his promises. It was recently relayed that for the first time in a long time, America is once again the highest producer of oil in the world, surpassing even oil rich Saudi Arabia on that list. So, to me, that is a positive. Sometimes we as people, just play the man and not the ball, so to speak. In time his efforts can be scrutinised and attacked to our heart's content. Or maybe, he might not be so bad for the country after all. Patience is always required. It is freely available but least used.

I hope your views on your country will again be proud and patriotic in the not to distant future. That aside, this was a stirring piece of writing, letting the reader inside your own personal thoughts on the country you love and live in. Kudos for that.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dara

5 Years Ago

It is very refreshing to hear the view from the other side of the world. Many of us are very embarra.. read more
Good job! The air is indeed thick with "political spew". But I think the USA will hopefully unite stronger then ever after all this is over.

Posted 5 Years Ago


Dara

5 Years Ago

Yes, I am hoping so too. To quote Nietzsche, "Out of chaos comes order." I wrote this during one of .. read more

3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1245 Views
26 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 18, 2018
Last Updated on June 24, 2018

Author

Dara
Dara

NC



About
I am a retired teacher who has just recently discovered the joy of writing poetry. Formerly known as Passion Flower, I decided to publish using my own name. My poetry is simple and from the heart whi.. more..

Writing
Sister Moon Sister Moon

A Poem by Dara


Left Behind Left Behind

A Poem by Dara



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Escape Escape

A Poem by Chris Shaw


He will be... He will be...

A Poem by Gee