Chapter Five from The Time of the Changing

Chapter Five from The Time of the Changing

A Chapter by Polly Lewis
"

A new life life begins...

"

 

  Chapter Five    
 
                The telephone’s insistent ringing shattered the silence of Blew Cottage and Robert Metcalf jerked to consciousness, absently reaching for the receiver, whilst glancing at the electronic clock on his bedside table. 3am read in large green digital numbers, glowing in the darkened room and he sighed with frustration. Not the alarm again, he thought, resigning himself to another late night trip to London. He had already made two unnecessary trips earlier in the week and the thought of another was testing his patience.  
                Sitting up, he slid to the edge of the bed and tried to rub the sleep from his eyes. A strange, unfamiliar voice spoke through the earpiece and Robert noted the foreign accent with mild interest.
                “Can I speak to Mr. Metcalf please?” The voice was American, unusual for a security company based in London.
                However, curbing his curiosity he cleared his head and tried to remember his password. “Yes, this is Mr. Metcalf speaking.”
                “Hello, Mr. Metcalf. Please accept my apologies for the late hour. My name is Janice Brogan. I’m ringing about Jodie and David Marsh; I believe they were friends of yours? ”
                Robert turned around and shook Nicola. “What’s happened?” he asked, his brow creasing with concern.
                “I’m afraid there has been an accident; a car crash. Jodie and David were killed this morning.” 
                He froze, shock sweeping through him. The voice at the end of the phone continued to speak, giving details of times and places, but Robert was no longer listening. He thought of the friends he had known and loved for the last ten years. The great nights out at the theatre, the crazy nights in playing cards and laughing till the early hours. And then abruptly his thought’s turned to little Ana left alone, her parents gone, and no other family to help her with the pain.
                Nicola sat up and put her hand on his shoulder. “Robbie, what is it?” she questioned. But before he could answer the strange voice spoke again.
                “Mr. Metcalf? I know it must be a terrible shock but I need to speak to you about Ana.”
                He moved the phone to his other ear. “Yes of course, what can we do?”
                “Well, it seems you and your wife are Godparents, and as far as we know Ana has no other family. Of course you do not have to make a decision right now, but by law you are her legal guardians and as such, you have a say in what should happen to her. Because there is a child involved we were instructed to open the will of Mr. and Mrs. Marsh. It states quite clearly that should anything happen to them, Ana is to be brought to England to live with you and your wife.” The voice paused, waiting for a reaction. “As I said you do not have to make a decision now, but if you could talk it over with your wife and perhaps give me a call tomorrow?”
                Robert took down the number, scribbling on the back cover of his latest read. Then with numbness claiming his fingers he slowly hung up the phone.Turning to Nicola, he reached out a hand and pulled her to him, relaying the tragic news.
                They clung to each other, desperately trying to come to terms with the loss of their best friends; consumed by grief, and struggling with the enormity of the situation. It would not be easy to overcome their feelings however, Ana was the most important thing now and they could not afford to wallow in sadness for too long. The welfare of the child had to be their first priority; she was their goddaughter after all and they already loved her like their own. For this reason the decision was swift and made without hesitation. They would welcome Ana with open arms and do all they could to make Blew Cottage feel like home. 
               
                Two weeks later on a crisp January day in 1982, a timid six-year-old girl stepped tentatively from a blue Ford Sierra and looked up at her new home. Wearing a knee length black coat with velvet collar, and a pair of red woollen gloves to stave off the icy cold, she stood nervously, gazing at the cottage.
                Finally, drawing on her courage she pulled at her left ear lobe and slowly took a step forward, regarding the house with growing curiosity.
                A short pathway wound its way through the lovely garden, which in spring would be crammed with daisies and hollyhocks, and at the end of the path a large white cottage gleamed in the sunshine. It was just perfect, from the thatched roof to the small picture windows; even the beautiful oak door seemed to exude warmth. Above the door was a black oval plaque with Blew Cottage painted in slanted italic white lettering, and a large wooden barrel filled to the brim with winter pansies brightened the doorstep.
                Ana was fascinated by the small square shaped patterns covering the walls and would later learn that these were known as pargetting, a technique of moulding designs into external plaster; something found on many of the older buildings in this part of Essex.
                Moving behind her Janice Brogan smiled at the awe-struck child then opened the boot of the car, pulling out her huge suitcase. And as she did the door to Blew Cottage suddenly sprang open.
                Instantly Robert and Nicola appeared in the opening and rushed out to greet their tiny guest. Robert’s arms enfolded the small child as he lifted her from the ground, and Nicola brushed back an adorable black ringlet, planting a loving kiss on her rosy cheek.
                Enjoying their attention Ana smiled and hugged her new parents close, then took Nicola’s hand as Robert put her back down and turned to take her suitcase from Janice.
                Feigning mock surprise, he raised his eyebrows and looked at Ana. “This is a heavy bag for such a small child!”
                She smiled again but did not reply and unconcerned by her lack of speech they all stepped inside the cosy house and allowed the warmth to welcome them in.
                Ana loved the cottage instantly, its charm and character inspiring her imagination. Black beams crossed the ceilings, while blue china plates adorned the walls of the large hallway and continued up the wide oak staircase. And pretty watercolour paintings of flowers and fields hung in the spaces between.
                Aware of their heavy winter coats Nicola quickly showed Janice and Ana through to a spacious lounge where two floral print armchairs and a matching sofa continued the cosy theme. Huge squashy cushions in various shades of blue and pink completed the homely look, and crackling orange flames glowed in the open fireplace.
                Taking in the comfortable surroundings, Ana walked over to the large inglenook fireplace, removing her gloves, and then stretched out her hands to feel the warmth. She looked up at the array of copper pots and kettles hanging above the fire, the flames reflecting against their pinkish shine, and an overwhelming feeling of coming home suddenly filled her battered heart.
                Moving across the room Nicola joined her by the fireplace and helped her out of her coat. “I’m going to make some tea; would anyone like some?” she said, looking round at Janice and Robert.
                They all agreed that tea would be lovely, so leaving Robert to entertain their guests Nicola went out to the kitchen to put the kettle on.
                Meanwhile Janice made herself comfortable in one of the armchairs by the French doors, and then turning to Robert she spoke in a relaxed and friendly tone. “You have a beautiful home, Mr. Metcalf. How long have you lived here?”
                “Please, call me Robert,” he responded, before answering her question. “About five years I think. We love it. It has a long and interesting history, dating back to the sixteenth century.”
                “Really, how amazing,” said Janice, settling back against a cushion and pushing her small round glasses further up her nose. “Please, feel free to enlighten me.”
                Her beautiful yellow eyes studied Robert with interest, and he shifted under her unwavering gaze. Then calling Ana to sit on his lap where she would be more comfortable, he began to impart the story of Blew Cottage.
                “Well, in 1566 Nathaniel Morton, a retired ships physician, and his much younger wife, bought the cottage from Ethan Blew who had built it ten years earlier.Nathaniel was much liked and respected by the villagers and used the skills he had learnt in the navy to treat the sick and infirm of the village. With the help of his wife, Elizabeth, he administered drugs and medicines made from herbs found in their own back garden and indigenous plants collected from the surrounding countryside.
                All was well until the winter of 1575 when sickness struck the happy couple, and after a long drawn out illness, Nathaniel Morton died, leaving Elizabeth inconsolable in her grief. She detached herself from normal village life, but continued to produce the much needed medicines, which the villagers would collect from her door. As time went by word began to spread about the strange young woman who lived alone in Blew Cottage, concocting potions and elixirs to heal the sick. However, this then escalated into stories of curses and spells and soon Elizabeth was blamed for every bad thing that happened in the village. The final blow came when a local man, named John Hearth, accused her of murdering his family, and in 1578 Elizabeth was branded a witch.
                Taken by force from her cottage, she was dragged down to the River Hatch to be sentenced to trial by Ducking Stool, and consequently drowned for her alleged crimes.”
                Ana’s green eyes grew wide with interest as she waited for Robert to continue, hanging on his every word.
                “The cottage then passed into the hands of the local Lord. He rented it to a string of tenants who tended his land. None lasted very long however, and the house soon gained a reputation for being cursed and haunted. Left to fall into disrepair, it stood empty until 1920 when a lovely lady named Charlotte Burdock bought it from the council.
                She lived here happily until 1977 when her husband passed away, and then sold it to us to fund her retirement in a local Rest Home by the sea. We have been here ever since, and luckily I have never seen anything untoward…so far that is,” he finished, winking at Ana.
                “Well, Ana, what a wonderful and intriguing new home you have,” said Janice, gazing at Robert with admiration.
                Just then Nicola walked in carrying a tray of tea and home made scones. She set them down on the coffee table in the centre of the room before turning to her husband. “Really, Robert, I hope you haven’t been scaring our guest with your tales of ghosts and witches,” she scolded.
                “Oh no, Mrs. Metcalf,” Janice responded, “I find the whole story quite fascinating.”
                Nicola smiled warmly then served the tea and scones before settling down on the sofa next to Robert.
                “There are some adoption papers for you to sign before I go; I have them here for you.” Janice passed the papers to Nicola who read through them quickly, signing without hesitation before passing them to Robert.
                Then with the paperwork completed he looked down at Ana, now sitting on the sofa beside him. Carefully he knelt down in front of her, holding her tiny hands. “Everything will be OK now, honey. This is your home, and when you are ready we’ll take you out to see the village.”
                His blue eyes twinkled with warmth and love and the little girl smiled as she saw the support she so desperately needed. It beamed from his face like a guiding light and noting the obvious bond Janice collected up her papers and rose from the chair. “Well, I think that’s everything. I really must be going if I’m to catch my flight back to the US. I‘ll make sure you receive copies of the adoption papers as soon as possible.” She held out her hand to Robert and smiled. “Please take good care of her; she’s been through so much.”
                “You can count on it,” he responded. “We will give her all the love she needs and make a warm and safe home for her to grow up in.”  
                Suddenly Janice looked deep into his eyes, although in truth it was Alandra’s striking yellow orbs that pierced his soul and he almost jumped as she spoke again. “I am pleased you feel so strongly,” she said. “I think Ana will be in goods hands.” She turned then, gazing at her granddaughter who instantly ran to her side. The child’s memory was suppressed and sadly she had no real idea who Alandra was. However, she had already formed a strong attachment to the woman who escorted her to England and it was to this bond she clung now.
                Bending down Alandra took the child in her arms and held her close for a long time. Then kissing her head she hugged her one more time. “Goodbye, Ana,” she whispered. “I’ll be here if you need me, just call.” Tears stung her eyes now as she fought back the pain and turning abruptly she rushed to the door.
                Unable to speak, she glanced back over her shoulder, stifling an insistent sob. Then with unseen tears staining her cheeks she waved goodbye before disappearing into the hallway and leaving the house.    
                                     
                The school bell rang at last and Matthew Burns rushed from his seat, running along the corridor to retrieve his coat and scarf from the small, overcrowded cloakroom. Lessons were finally over and it was time to go home. Skipping down the hill he passed the old church and waved to his friends as they ran off in the direction of the river. It was a fine Friday afternoon, but Matthew had no interest in the ducks today. He wanted to get home as quickly as possible to tuck into his mother’s homemade fish and chips and nothing could distract him from his rumbling belly.
                Continuing on he walked across the bustling village green at fast pace then slowed slightly as his journey led him up hill and out of the village. As he approached Blew Cottage he stopped, staring at the large blue car parked outside. The community of Ravenshatch was pretty close knit and it was unusual to see a strange car in the village, especially at this time of day. For some reason he felt hesitant about going past it, so when the front door opened he jumped behind a huge oak tree at the side of the road and waited for the sound of the car door opening before sneaking another look.
                Curious, he peeped around the trunk and saw a tall, slim woman with long black hair getting into the blue Ford Sierra. Unexplained fear suddenly touched his heart and he pulled back quickly, waiting for the sound of the engine to fade before re-emerging from his hiding place. Then once the car had disappeared completely he stepped out from behind the tree and moved towards the cottage. Still trembling he shook his head to clear the strange woman from his mind, anxious now to get away from the scene of his fear. The experience had left him visibly shaken and swiftly crossing the road he continued on his way home, although for some reason he could not resist stopping outside the cottage.
                Looking up, he felt an odd pulling as though someone were calling to him, and he lingered at the edge of the garden, his eyes fixed on the living room window. He stared, locked in confusion, his heart almost bursting from his chest. Then gradually the strange energy weakened, releasing its hold and he stubbornly shook his head. He staggered back, his mind still whirling, then spinning round he ran like the wind the rest of the way home.
                Matthew’s house was half a mile further up the lane from the cottage, making it roughly a mile from school. Whereas trees and foliage surrounded Blew Cottage, his own house was set in the middle of farmland, and fields of green and brown could be seen for miles around.
                Walking through the front gate he looked up at his bedroom window pleased to see his mother waving hello. Then waving back he ran up to the front door, which was on the latch as usual.  
                Every afternoon his mother would watch from the window at the front of the house to see him walk safely up the lane from school. It was still relatively crime-free in Ravenshatch, but you could never be too careful.
                Matthew loved coming home to this house. It was a three bedroom detached cottage with half an acre of land at the back and a secluded rose garden hidden by hedges at the front. His mother liked to sit out at her wrought iron table in the summer and read a good book in between tending her flowers and drinking strong cups of English tea. It was an ideal setting for a seven-year-old boy to grow up in, and Matthew took full advantage.
                Rosie Burns was a kind and cheerful woman who poured all her energy into family life. Her home was clean and extremely comfortable, and her cooking skills almost legendary in the local community. Wonderful smells constantly wafted from the kitchen filling the rooms with enticing aromas, and everything in her world revolved around the happiness of her small family. Her son, however, was her real pride and joy and dashing downstairs she planted an affectionate kiss on his cheek, laughing as he promptly wiped it off.
                Still laughing, she ruffled his hair and said that one day he would love being kissed by girls, Matthew, however, seemed unconvinced. He frowned, looking doubtful, but decided not to argue the point just before dinner. His father would be back from the farm soon and he needed to get washed and changed before he got home.                
                Taking off his coat and scarf he ran upstairs to put away his school things. Then throwing the bag into his closet he closed the door and walked over to the window, perching on the sill. Staring out at the fields, he looked down the lane in the direction of Blew Cottage and wondered, briefly if he would ever find out who the strange woman in the blue car had been, and why he had felt so odd.
                Deciding to make it an important priority for his weekend agenda, he rose from the seat with every intention of writing it down. But as he picked up the pen his stomach growled, reminding him of his ravenous hunger and all thoughts of the woman fled his mind as he ran to the bathroom to get washed for dinner.
                               
                Ana sat on the bed in her lovely new room and looked around at the amazing array of books and toys. She had only brought one doll with her from America, a rag doll named Polly who had already taken pride of place on the bed, and her pink dress and pretty polka dot ribbons matched the room perfectly.
                The bedroom and adjoining en suite were both painted cream with pale pink accessories. The curtains and bedding, the bedside lamps, even the large dolls house in the corner of the room sported a slanted pink roof.
                The bed was pine with a beautiful cream canopy draped above it and Ana felt like a fairytale princess from one of the stories she had read on the plane.
                Slowly she rose from the bed and walked across the shiny oak floor, lingering in front of the window to see if she could spot Robert’s car driving up the lane. He had gone out in the Volvo to pick up a surprise, and although Ana was still a little tired from her journey, she could hardly wait to see what it was.      
                Unfortunately there was still no sign of him, so sighing with disappointment she walked back to the bed and slumped on the mattress.              
                Suddenly a gentle tapping sounded on the door and Nicola peeped round the frame waiting for permission to enter. Ana still hadn’t spoken since her arrival in Ravenshatch, but smiling warmly she nodded, indicating her acceptance and Nicola walked in.
                “Robert will be home in about ten minutes,” she began, “and I thought you might like to come downstairs and have some milk and a sandwich before he gets here.” 
                The small child nodded again. Then taking Nicola’s hand she gripped it tightly and followed her down to the kitchen.
                The kitchen was square with a large pine table in the middle, surrounded by four chairs. Two picture windows normally looked out onto the pretty back garden, but at half past four in January it was already dark outside and the windows just reflected the pine dresser on the back kitchen wall.
                Taking a seat, Ana quickly cleared her plate then drank her milk a little slower to stop herself from belching. She had not realised how hungry she was until she had started eating and now, happily full, she sat back contentedly watching Nicola at the sink.
                The house was calm, its peace and tranquillity wrapping her in the safety of its walls and as the front door sprang open she jumped, turning to look back into the illuminated hallway.
                Roberts’s deep voice called into the house. “Hello, guys, I’ve brought home some friends,” he boomed, and Ana felt excitement stir in her stomach.
                Swiftly she put down her glass and walked out into the hall, her face lighting up with elation as she spotted the two dogs sitting by Roberts’s feet.
                They were wagging their tails and sniffing the air, their keen canine eyes staring at the little girl. Then, no longer able to contain his enthusiasm, Jet rushed forward, bounding back and forth around her legs. Serena, however, being the less boisterous of the two, sat calmly surveying the scene as he continued to make a fool of himself as usual.
                Beaming at the new arrivals Ana looked down at the crazy dog by her feet and giggled with delight. It was the first sound she had made since losing her parents and Nicola looked at Robert, smiling, while simultaneously catching hold of Jet’s collar. Serena then padded softly over to Ana and sat down by her side, her gentle amber eyes staring up at the small child and registering her superiority.
 
                The next morning Ana awoke at first light. Serena lay beside the bed, happily sprawled out across the shining oak floor, but at the sound of the little girls yawning she pushed herself up to a sitting position and slowly wagged her tail.
                Gazing at her protector Ana slid from the bed and landed with a bump on the hard wooden floor. Then reaching out her hand she smiled as a slender pink tongue licked at the fingers. “Hello, Serena,” she said, “pleased to meet you.”
                The gentle animal came closer and nuzzled her charge with a cold black nose, enjoying the fuss. And putting both arms around her silky neck, Ana squeezed tightly while Serena continued to push with her muzzle. The large dog was warm and soft; her gentleness comforting to the little girl, and instantly their friendship was sealed.
                Finally, pushing up from the floor she dressed quickly in a thick red jumper and blue jeans, then leading Serena downstairs she silently made her way to the back door. She had watched on the previous evening as Nicola locked it then put the key in the top kitchen cupboard, so pulling a chair over from the table she swiftly jumped up and retrieved the key from its hiding place.
                At this point Jet came running down from her parent’s room and bounded into the large room whining and yelping, and Ana tried desperately to calm him down. Carefully she got down from the chair, pausing to stroke his neck, and after a few minutes of petting he at last ceased his fussing. “Good morning, Jet,” she said, giggling at his excitement. Then turning back to the door she placed the key in the lock and turned the knob.
                Instantly Jet rushed out onto the lawn and ran to the fruit trees at the bottom of the garden, while Serena gingerly padded into the cold morning air, looking back to check on Ana.
                Frost covered the ground, glistening in the early morning light and Ana was dazzled by its sparkling beauty. Taking care not to slip on the brick patio she walked forward onto the lawn then chuckled with delight as she spotted the green metal slide and swing in the corner of the garden.  Excitedly she ran across the lawn, promptly seating herself on the swing and rocking back and forth. It was a wonderful feeling to play and giggle and happily she called to the pets.
                Jet yapped loudly and dashed over to join her when suddenly the upstairs window flew open and Roberts face appeared, smiling broadly. “Good morning, Miss, I see you’ve found the swing!” he shouted.
                Ana laughed, warming his heart and he disappeared back inside leaving the three new friends to continue their playing.
                Twenty minutes later Nicola immerged from the kitchen door to inform them that breakfast was ready, and Ana was the first to reach the pine table. After a few moments Robert joined her, and the new family sat down together to enjoy a fine meal of bacon, fried eggs and toast, while Serena and Jet looked on hopefully from the corner of the room.
                Once they had finished Nicola washed the breakfast things, leaving them to dry off on the draining board then sat back down at the table. “We thought you might like to take a look at the village this morning, Ana. I need to get some fresh bread from the bakery, and on the way back we can feed the ducks on the river. How does that sound?”
                Ana looked deep into her kind, hazel eyes, studying her small features. At thirty-four she was an extremely attractive woman. Petite, at only five foot three, her shoulder length, wavy blonde hair was held back this morning by a brown velvet slide, and she wore a brown woollen crew neck with matching corduroy trousers which flattered her slender figure.
                The thought of seeing the rest of Ravenshatch was suddenly quite appealing and nodding her head she answered politely. “That would be very nice thank you.” 
                Collecting their scarves and coats from the brass coat stand in the hall, Robert, Nicola and Ana stepped out into the cold morning air. Strangely, for January, the sun was shining and the wind, although bracing was relatively calm so the new family set out with a spring in their chilly step.               
                The country air was fresh and clean, filling her nostrils with scents from the surrounding woodland and Ana could even smell the crisp morning frost on the glittering grass. It was a truly beautiful winter day, and for the first time that she could remember she was truly happy.
                As they began to walk, Robert suddenly paused and pointed out the huge old oak tree on the opposite side of the road, telling Ana that it had been there for as long as anyone could remember. “The villagers call it Wisestar,” he finished.
                “Why?” she questioned, gazing at the magnificent tree.
                He looked at Nicola, a mischievous twinkle glinting in his eye, then back at the small, interested child. “It is said that many centuries ago a wise old man named Jacob Brooley was called to this beautiful site to seek out peace and knowledge. He built a small cabin amongst the trees, happily living in harmony with nature, and spent many years contemplating the problems of mankind. People for miles around would come to see Jacob, and ask for his advice and wisdom when they needed help. And gladly he provided hope and guidance to those who came, his kindness knowing no bounds. People settled close by to be near him, and the village of Ravenshatch was born.
                Before Jacob died, he asked the villagers to bury him here in this wonderful forest so his soul could forever roam free in the place he loved, and that they plant a great oak tree in his memory. And after his death the tree was planted and grew so quickly the villagers believed Jacob’s wisdom and strength lived on in its roots and branches. Every year on the eve of the anniversary of his death they would come to give thanks, and every year a large star could be seen shining brightly in the night sky directly above. Hence the name was given and has always remained.”
                Ana stared up at the great tree, her face filled with wonder.
                “You’ll come to learn that Robert is a bit of an expert on local legend and history, Ana,” said Nicola, drawing her attention. “Anything you want to know is neatly stored away inside that head.” Smiling warmly she took Ana’s hand, steering her towards the road. Then finally ready to leave the happy threesome continued their leisurely stroll down into the sleepy village.
                As they came to the end of the lane Ana suddenly gasped in surprise. She looked down the sloping hill at the village of Ravenshatch nestled perfectly at the bottom, and squealed with excitement. It was like a picture she had once seen on the lid of a chocolate box. However, until now she had never truly believed such places really existed.
                Small cottages in a variety of blue, white and cream sat proudly in the hillside around a parade of shops at the centre. A large pub was set at the edge next to a sparkling river with ducks and geese paddling busily on its surface. And a beautiful old church could be seen at the top of the opposite hill with quaint little tea rooms set just below.
                Letting go of Nicola’s hand, she skipped down into the village and headed towards the fascinating array of small shops. While her new parents followed on behind, happily watching the little girl’s black curls bouncing in the sunlight and thanking heaven for their unexpected gift.
                When they reached Olsen’s Bakery Ana and Robert sat on a bench outside and waited for Nicola to buy what she needed. Even though they had just eaten breakfast, the smell of freshly baked bread tempted the appetite, and they both breathed deeply to appreciate the intoxicating aroma.
                After a few minutes Nicola emerged with a small white carrier bag and some left over scones from the previous day. Mr Olsen had kindly donated them so that Ana could feed the ducks and taking the bag from Nicola she headed towards the water.
                As she drew closer however, she suddenly became aware of a small blonde boy watching her from the opposite bank, and feeling a little sorry for him she smiled, raising her hand to offer him a scone.
                Acknowledging her gesture, the serious boy walked across the stone bridge and shyly shuffled over. Then returning her smile he gratefully took the offered scone from her hand.
                Casually they walked to the edge of the river and tore off small pieces of the scones to throw to the ducks and geese swimming noisily towards them, strangely content in each other’s company. And a little puzzled the two adults strolled over to the children, looking from one to the other.
                “Hello, Matthew,” said Robert, finally. “How are you?”
                “I’m very well, thank you, Mr. Metcalf,” said the small child.
                “And how are your mum and dad?”
                “They’re both OK. My mum’s over at Mr. Bolton’s buying some sausages. She said I could come and see the ducks while I was waiting.”
                “Oh I see. I wondered why you were here all alone. Well seeing as you are here, let me introduce you to Ana.”
                Matthew turned his startling electric blue eyes to the little girl by his side, and in a very grown up voice said, “I’m pleased to meet you, Ana.”
                The two children stared at each other for a long moment, Ana unsure what to say.
                “Ana will be starting at Ravenshatch Primary in a couple of weeks,” said Nicola, saving Ana the trouble of responding.
                “That’s great,” said Matthew. “I guess that means you’ll be staying in Ravenshatch for a while?” he said, looking at his new friend excitedly.
                “Yes,” answered Nicola, once again speaking on her behalf. “Ana will be staying with us for a very long while.”
                The little boy looked at Ana and grinned broadly, his blue eyes sparkling in the sunlight. Then returning his attention to the ducks he helped her to break up the rest of the scones.
                Behind them Nicola and Robert looked on, smiling contentedly. A new and endearing friendship was blossoming before their eyes and the proud parents could not be happier for their beautiful little girl.                


© 2008 Polly Lewis


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Hi My BEST GEEZER FRIEND,
This was just, or more fascinating than the first time through. I wanted to see if I could pick up any major changes..I couldn't. It was almost like reading it for the first time. Let me ask you , did you tour a home like the Blew Cottage ? Your descriptions are amazing. Also , things like "pargetting" moulding..is that something you got from researching the town ? I feel honored to have seen "Ravenhatch." I think I enjoyed it as much this time as the first. I think the change in font caught my eye, too. This is a great story, Polly , and you are a true writer to bring everything to life. Your greatest fan from across the sea, Love, Rain..
PS..I have lost a great deal of weight in the last month and have not been in contact like I should. Please, forgive me and know I always am with you.

Posted 16 Years Ago


Polly this is an other wonderfully written chapter. and I copied the web site so I can finish reading it. You
take care and God bless. Great job on this story.
Hugs Debby

Posted 16 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

221 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 15, 2008


Author

Polly Lewis
Polly Lewis

United Kingdom



About
My name is Polly Lewis and I am a struggling new author who would really appreciate constructive comments and advice on my work. Writing is a passion, an expression of our soul. It drives our every .. more..

Writing
Silence Silence

A Poem by Polly Lewis



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..