Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Two of a Kind  ch 1

Two of a Kind ch 1

A Chapter by Potter
"

A desperate young woman stumbles into a town and meets runs into a stranger in a coffee shop.

"

~Lynda~

I hear my heart pulsing in my ears. My body shakes as I look for a place to sit and catch my breath. How long have I been running? My feet hurt. Stupid me, I could've paused a moment to get my keys out of my purse and drive. I could be in my car, on a highway, in another state by now. But instead, I panicked.  Where am I?

 

Gasping for breath, I look up at a street sign. "Main Street." Great! That helps! I don't recognize anything. The soles of my feet are throbbing. Curse these shoes - I need to sit down. I’ve probably only hiked five miles into this town, but it seems much further.

 

I push my honey colored, wind-tossed hair out of my face and take in my surroundings. Coffee shop, coffee shop, bank, clothing store, fast food place, and coffee shop.  I smile to myself. I must be in a major city. My hands are still shaking. I push them in my jacket pockets and continue down the sidewalk. I probably look a nervous wreck. If I don't calm down it could definitely give me away. Let's try some therapeutic breathing - in through the mouth, out through the nose. Wait, no! In through the nose, out through the mouth.

 

Feeling slightly less flustered, I cross into the least crowded coffee shop. Ordering a large Mocha Frappe with milk chocolate flavoring.  I can’t afford this but I need it badly.  I’m an addict!  I take my seat near the window. I try to sort out my many conflicting thoughts. I'm broke and I need money. At the same time, I need to avoid even the mention of police right now.  I could get put away for a very long time.

 

Despite my predicament, I'm proud of myself. When I pay for my coffee I remember to pay with cash. They won’t be able to find me this way. With a nervous laugh I look out the window and scan the many people walking with purpose. Am I really doing this? Do I have what it takes to pull this off? But what other choice do I have?

 

I rest my elbows on the table and push my hair back again. It's too late to go back now. The solid version of the unnamed element is in my purse, wedged between my wallet and my cell phone, and no one's going to believe me when I say it just happened to fall in. Is now the time to admit to myself that I've done something really, really stupid? Me, a science major, doing something stupid or dangerous? The irony is comical.

I need to get the hell out of here right now, but I need some help. The feeling of paranoia is overwhelming! I can almost smell people staring at me like I'm some kind of deranged criminal. Closely examining every passing car and everyone in the coffee shop, I decide I need to get moving. So I drop my wallet into my purse and jump out of my seat. I haven’t eaten yet today and I am feeling a bit weak. After stumbling over the table leg, I grasp at whatever I can to keep from falling. It's all a blur of motion - it takes me a moment to register what I'm grabbing. Feels soft, yet firm? Like a man wearing a leather coat. I look up and realize it is a man wearing a leather coat. He’s six-foot-something and also seemingly heading out the door.

 

"Sorry," I murmur, looking away before I can see the look he's giving me. Mortified, I rush to the door. All too soon I notice I've forgotten my coffee. Frantically juggling the idea of going back and the thought of escaping, I turn back to the table and grab my Mocha Frappe. I need my caffeine! I am barely able to take a moment to breathe before I head for the door again.

 

My ankle collides with the very same table leg. I fall face-first with my arms flailing out. As if I haven't caused this poor guy enough trouble, the contents of my Styrofoam cup fly like a tidal wave into his neck and chest.

 

Is there somewhere I can hide?



© 2012 Potter


Author's Note

Potter
Does this get your attention enough to want to read more?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I love how you start out with so much suspense going through the reader's mind. You don't know why she's on the run exactly, but you're dying to find out. And you kept my attention completely until the very last word. That doesn't happen often, so that's really great.
I look forward to reading more. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

yes, it gets my attention! Draws me in, with great inner dialogue, suspense, a bit of humor and a stranger in a leather coat. Great chapter!

Posted 11 Years Ago


So Kyle...

Posted 11 Years Ago


good job great read wil definately read more

Posted 11 Years Ago


Potter

11 Years Ago

Thank you very much!
well done.. I am gasping for air.. so may questions to discover answers for..

Posted 11 Years Ago


"I'm broke" - I'd qualify this statement since she's not completely broke if she can afford a drink.

Very amusing piece and I like the narrative voice you've built up so far. You've piqued my interest now and I actually WANT to read more. That doesn't happen very much for me with anything other than poetry. ;) Very nicely done!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

i like how this woman.. although broke --still decides to buy an overpriced coffee. : )

nice write.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Wow this immediately draws the reader in. This could seriously turn into something amazing. Please keep up with this! I can't wait to read on!

Posted 11 Years Ago


I like this. Very nicely done.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I love how you start out with so much suspense going through the reader's mind. You don't know why she's on the run exactly, but you're dying to find out. And you kept my attention completely until the very last word. That doesn't happen often, so that's really great.
I look forward to reading more. :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

578 Views
9 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on June 21, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012


Author

Potter
Potter

IL



About
I'm Potter. I own a business and I work outside much of the day. I occasionally entertain the thought of being an author and actually finishing a book. I am here for the writing and not for.. more..

Writing
Two of a Kind  ch 2 Two of a Kind ch 2

A Chapter by Potter


Two of a Kind ch 3 Two of a Kind ch 3

A Chapter by Potter


Two of a Kind ch 4 Two of a Kind ch 4

A Chapter by Potter