Two of a Kind ch 4

Two of a Kind ch 4

A Chapter by Potter
"

Kevin and Lynda head toward the scenic Kingston area with the armed men following them.

"

Neither Lynda, nor Kevin, notice the black car that follows them first to Highway 37 north, and then to the Kingston area. It’s a short drive of about 15 minutes mostly uphill to Kingston. After about ten minutes the photographer in the passenger's seat tells his partner, "This feels very strange."

 

The armed man takes a moment to look around. His large hands never leave the steering wheel. "It’s strange because they're committing a crime against their country in broad daylight without any apparent backup? I agree. There has to be something we're missing.”

 

"They took an unnamed element. No one knows what it does or if it even has any significant properties. If I may throw out a guess, I'd say they're holding it for ransom. It's not as if they can actually do anything with it but sell or trade it. Do you think they’re terrorists? Maybe they're trading with one of those Middle Eastern countries and maybe they'll find a way of making it into a weapon?"

 

The armed man chuckles, "I wouldn't worry about that yet, Mitch. What should concern you is maybe, at this very moment, we are driving into a literally explosive situation."

 

Mitch nervously says. "Ben, I'd rather not think about that."

 

The blue Prius signals its turn into a parking lot, a line of cars ahead of it.

 

"Kingston?" murmurs the photographer, snapping shots of the street sign and of the Toyota turning in. "What are they going to do here at this touristy area?"

 

Ben chuckles. "There is nothing but gift stores and hiking trails here. Maybe they're on a date?"

 

 

~Kevin~

Kevin begins with, “I think I could use a walk. Are you interested in doing some walking and maybe checking out the view of the bluffs from the trail?”

 

His new lady friend nods in agreement. I bet she’ll do anything to stay out of site of anyone who may be looking for her.

 

Just then, I notice a black Buick pulling into the parking lot after them and I think to myself, I wonder who they are? Why would two well dressed guys in suits come to this place?

 

I become aware that this car ride has been silent ever since we got to the highway. I’ve wanted to say something the entire time, but I don't know where to begin. I see the Kingston sign coming up and I figure it's time to talk. But what do we talk about?

 

I turn into the parking lot and give Liddy a quick glance. She looks like a rock star in my sunglasses. I am impressed. If she would just smile and stop biting her lip, she'd pull the look off perfectly.

 

Finally, I say. “Did you want to go for a walk then?” Liddy silently nods.

 

A black Buick pulls into the parking lot after us. “I wonder who those guys are," I mutter.

 

Liddy freezes. "Who?"

 

I point in the rearview mirror.

 

Liddy turns around and peers out the back windshield. "You mean the suits?"

 

I nod. "I think they’re overdressed for the occasion. Why would two well dressed guys come here?"

 

She doesn't say anything as I park. Once the car is stopped she hurriedly unbuckles her seatbelt and lets herself out. Personally, I don’t see the reason for rushing.

 

"Where are you going?" I ask.

 

"I'll race you!" she announces just before slamming the door.

 

"Wait, what?" I call after her, but she's already running. Since I don’t really feel like running should I just leave now?   Or should I follow this person who I barely know? Baffled, I scramble to get my seatbelt off.

 



© 2012 Potter


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your sentence "After the lunch I had earlier and the coffee I think I could..." I think it would be fine with just : "I could use a walk... etc." otherwise it sounds as though you are trying to cram details into his dialogue.

And "And the I notice the black Buick..." Should be "I noticed a black Buick" since he doesn't know who they are or that they had followed them.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

...notice a black Buick pulling into the parking lot after US not "them". You have the black Buick sentence again a few sentences later, both by Kevin. I'd delete the second one.
You have a part of the story happening before you get to Kingston, happening after you got there. This chapter is a bit confused....or I am!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Your sentence "After the lunch I had earlier and the coffee I think I could..." I think it would be fine with just : "I could use a walk... etc." otherwise it sounds as though you are trying to cram details into his dialogue.

And "And the I notice the black Buick..." Should be "I noticed a black Buick" since he doesn't know who they are or that they had followed them.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

wonderful! keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

292 Views
3 Reviews
Added on June 22, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012


Author

Potter
Potter

IL



About
I'm Potter. I own a business and I work outside much of the day. I occasionally entertain the thought of being an author and actually finishing a book. I am here for the writing and not for.. more..

Writing
Two of a Kind  ch 1 Two of a Kind ch 1

A Chapter by Potter


Two of a Kind  ch 2 Two of a Kind ch 2

A Chapter by Potter


Two of a Kind ch 3 Two of a Kind ch 3

A Chapter by Potter