Two of a Kind ch 3

Two of a Kind ch 3

A Chapter by Potter
"

Lydia and Kevin leave together. Not knowing where they are going or what awaits them.

"

~Kevin~

I can't help but smile at her and say: "Let's just go." She seems like she wants to get out of here.

I lead her to my car. I want to help since she seems scared and vulnerable. The fact that she's adorable is a benefit. She raises her left hand to push her hair back. There's no ring. No husband? Or even a fiance? That's surprising. I am not sure what I’m getting into here but this could be a lot of fun!

 

“So where are we going?” I ask.

 

Lynda bites her bottom lip. "Ummm away. Someplace like Mexico-or Canada. Which ever you prefer."

 

“Are you serious?  That’s a long way from Aurora, Illinois.” I laugh.

 

“I didn’t know we were in Aurora.”  She says barely above a whisper.

 

I want to lighten the mood.  I want to see her smile so I try to calm her by saying, “You don’t even know me. I could be a rapist or a pervert. I might even be a sadist or a lunatic!  Maybe I’m even mean to animals!"

 

She laughs without humor and glances at her purse and mutters, "I doubt that.  You don’t worry me."

 

 

The new now leave the coffee shop together deep in thought about what is next. Both are wary of the other, yet they are becoming comfortable with the other. Kevin leads what he thinks is a dull life with no girlfriend and a dull job. Lynda is wanted for robbery. What a pair.

 

While walking to Kevin’s car neither are aware of the late model black Buick Regal GS across the street. There, two men sit, one snapping pictures and the other watching intently. As the photographer zooms in on the couple he says slowly, "I wonder who he is?" His companion frowns. "There's no way she would've done anything without some help." The armed man leans away, resting his elbow on the armrest. "I wonder, though. Which is the mastermind and which is the accomplice?"

 

 

~Lynda~

"Here it is," says Kevin, waving his hand over a small blue 2005 Toyota Prius.

 

Oh great! One of those battery operated jobs. I won't say anything. I can't. I'm practically speechless. All I can do is plaster a grin across my face and hope he doesn't realize it's fake.

 

“It’s a hybrid,” he says. “I get 50 miles per gallon.”

 

“Oh, good," is my response. “We might need that.”

 

What the hell was he thinking when he bought a freakin’ hybrid? Just how are we supposed to get away from anyone coming after us with this Go Cart? He seems so proud of this tin can. Gah! Beggars can't be choosers.

 

I climb into the passenger's seat and watch him take his seat. "Thanks, by the way," I am being entirely sincere right now.

 

 

~Kevin~

Well, this is kind of cool. I haven't had a girl in my car since Phoebe. What was that like two years ago? No, we broke up three years ago. It has really been that long? Damn, that's sad. Liddy is the first girl I've had in my car in three years. Holy s**t!

 

"No problem," I answer her.

 

Lynda smiles politely and looks away.

 

I can't help but notice her hands shaking in her lap. What is it that has her so scared?  I hope I can help her, but I don’t want her to be crazy or anything.  I don’t need that. I again become aware of the stained, wet area on my shirt. I didn't want to complain at the time or anything, but that ice shower really got my attention. I must look stupid with a stained shirt and wet leather jacket.

 

 

"So," I begin, "We are going to be getting on the interstate. Have you ever been to the Kingston area?"

 

Kingston is a very scenic place. It has a great view of some beautiful hills and lakes, and is especially pretty this time of year. Maybe I can manage to get her talking more. She seems like she might have a lot to say.

 

Her mouth opens for a moment, but nothing comes out. "Uhhh, Kingston? No, I don't - I'm new to this state." After a nervous glance out the window she asks, "Do you have sunglasses I can borrow?"

 

It's not that bright out, but I guess after coming out of the coffee shop her eyes might have trouble adjusting to the sunlight. "Of course." I reply, removing the glasses from the car visor above my head.

 

"Thanks again," she says. "You're a life saver."

 

I smile, more than happy to oblige. But I'm beginning to wonder what kind of trouble she must have gotten in to. No one is ever so nervous without a good reason. Now that I think about it, I can't believe she needs my sunglasses for her eyes - no one’s eyes are that fragile. Unless, they’re hung over, and Liddy doesn’t look hung over. I don't need to think on it for too long before I figure it out. She's running from someone and if she’s found, she must have a lot to lose.



© 2012 Potter


Author's Note

Potter
Is this believable? Let me know your thoughts.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the switch in point of view mid way through. Maybe make it a bit more clear before you do that, separate the paragraph a bit more. But definitely keep that for key "all knowing" details. The rest of it is great. Makes me curious as to what will happen next. I love the difference in the characters' thoughts. Somewhat humorous!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

305 Views
1 Review
Added on June 22, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012


Author

Potter
Potter

IL



About
I'm Potter. I own a business and I work outside much of the day. I occasionally entertain the thought of being an author and actually finishing a book. I am here for the writing and not for.. more..

Writing
Two of a Kind  ch 1 Two of a Kind ch 1

A Chapter by Potter


Two of a Kind  ch 2 Two of a Kind ch 2

A Chapter by Potter


Two of a Kind ch 4 Two of a Kind ch 4

A Chapter by Potter