New World

New World

A Chapter by R.D.Scott

Chris was really struggling with the oncoming reality of returning to school. Before moving to his father’s he had already attended two secondary schools, so his education was woefully short.


He had not set foot in a classroom in over eleven months and the thought of returning to one left him feeling ill at ease and low on confidence. He began to wonder how much of his schooling he had missed and if he would be able to keep up or even understand the work when he returned or how far behind his fellow students he would indeed be.


Adding to the mix the idea of meeting new people from a completely different walk of life, in a new environment and anxiety grew within him. Coming from what could best be described as an urban concrete jungle that was London; by comparison, Chris felt that the place he had come to call home was a significant step up on the social class scale.


Although he felt quite at home in his new surroundings, due to his upbringing he felt his new surroundings could appear quite posh and maybe a little snobbish and this didn’t help his already heightened nerves and as the days grew closer and closer.

But as the saying goes, time waits for no man, and it wasn’t long before Chris found himself being fitted for a new school uniform. The uniform seemed to epitomise everything he had come to feel about his new home town.


It was completely different to the uniform he had worn at his previous school which consisted of a casual polo shirt and jumper with the school logo emblazoned on the chest. His new uniform of smart black blazer, black trousers, white shirt and a rather hideous silver/grey and yellow tie left him feeling very uncomfortable and not at all himself. To make his discomfort worse, Chris had to endure his father’s constant complaints in the back ground.


Derek was incensed about the amount of money he was spending on Chris’ new uniform and all the other essentials, such as stationary, that went with him returning to school. Chris’ smart Alec wit kicked in but he kept his mouth shut although the same constant thought kept rolling through his head, it was your idea to send me back to school, so I don’t see why you’re complaining.


He was conscious of the last time he had tested his father’s foul mood, he still had a few small marks on his rib cage that acted as a reminder and he was keen to avoid a repeat performance. This shopping trip was the longest time he had spent with his father in many years but rather than Derek treating the moment as a bonding exercise, he continued to grumble and moan throughout the rest of the shopping trip and the journey home.


Once they arrived home, Chris got his school bag ready and hung up his new uniform casting a quick look of revulsion as it hung neatly on its hanger.


Chris spent his remaining free days visiting his favourite places, hoping to escape the fear and dread that was rapidly growing within. He spent every morning at the football stadium, squeezing in as much football as he could and his afternoons casually wandering along the banks of the river drinking in as much of the scenery as he could before the hectic schedule of school arrived. He didn’t know how much time he would have free once school started; he still had his chores to tend to, all the cooking, cleaning, washing and ironing to do as he always did.


Not to mention the added pressure of oncoming homework and he began to wonder, will I be able to fit it all in? But he thought it best to not think too much about it and just solider gamely on when the moment presented itself and hopefully everything would fall neatly into place.


Eventually his free time expired and the dreaded day arrived. So Chris double checked his bag to ensure everything was as it should be and then after a quick shower he dressed in his new uniform. Feeling extremely uncomfortable in his tie and blazer, he headed down the stairs and out the door into the early morning sun. Chucking his bag onto the back seat of the car he climbed in and stared anxiously out of the window as the car pulled away.


Fear bubbling up inside his chest, Chris’ mind began to wander, Am I going to fit in? I haven’t spoken to anyone my own age in months.


A heavy sigh escaped his lips as he glimpsed the football stadium as they journeyed down the main road.

The school was a ten minute drive further down the road, which seemed to connect the entire town from one end to the other. It wasn’t long before he noticed the car change direction, down a side road by the train track. At the end of the road, concealed by bushes, stood two iron gates that were the entrance to the school.


As soon as the car pulled up, Chris climbed slowly out of the back seat and straightened his uniform before slinging his bag over his shoulder and followed his parents through the main doors.

The school didn’t appear as large as his last, although it did possess a vast set of playing fields separated from the rest of the school by thick hedgerows. What appeared to be the assembly hall was situated directly opposite the main reception area, where he and his parents were greeted before being shown to a row of chairs where they all sat down, Chris with his hand on his chin waiting to be interviewed.


Chris dreaded what was to come for he had quite an expansive school record.

Every nerve in his body was screaming to run but with his parents flanking him and not being entirely sure about how to get home, a route of escape was beyond him.


Even his faint hope of his father changing his mind and keeping him in a life of servitude seemed almost idiotic, as his father had not shown the smallest inkling of changing his stance.

Chris tried to focus his mind on the upcoming interview, not knowing if he had already been accepted or if the school would indeed admit him with such an extensive and colourful record, not to mention he had already attended two different schools and had no formal education for over a year. Adding to this his constant clashes with fellow students and teachers, hope started to build again that he may just get out of returning to school.


It had never sat well with Chris the way so many teachers seemed to talk down to their students and being of such strong mind and will, every time this had happened to him he would stand his ground and argue to the point of suspension or expulsion. He had always believed that respect was earned and not just handed blindly to those who demanded it; he would never waiver nor be challenged on this.


So there he sat, looking completely depressed, gazing out through the window overlooking the courtyard.  Occasionally he would turn his head from the window when he heard the door to the offices open, glimpsing teachers coming and going at will. As he turned back to view the courtyard he heard his parents name called. He quickly turned and stood up to be confronted by the school headmaster.


Slightly taller than Chris and Derek but with a much wider girth and a chubby face, with an odd pair of purple glasses perched on his nose. Should have gone to Specsavers Chris thought, laughing to himself. He promptly introduced himself as Mr Wellon and all four people walked through the door, down a small corridor and into a large office.


Chris followed the headmaster’s directions and took the middle seat of three in front of the desk as his parents sat either side; Mr Wellon strode around behind the desk and gained his seat. Chris sat facing the dominating scene of the headmaster behind his desk; he certainly struck a commanding figure and Chris thought a man of his presence would never allow a boy with his record into his school.


Chris gazed uninterestedly out of the window behind the headmasters head while his parents and the head discussed his future, occasional brought back to the room by hearing a mention of one of his many past crimes, but not a word was directed to Chris for quite some time.


He was brought sharply back to the room by the sound of his parents getting up to leave; evidently he had failed to hear the headmaster dismiss his parents under the request of speaking to Chris alone. Chris suddenly felt a cold shiver run down his spine as he sat alone, face to face with the headmaster.

The thought of being alone with his would be headmaster had not occurred to him and he began to fill with anxiety and uncertainty.


He bravely pulled himself upright in his chair as he watched his parents being ushered out of the door. His eyes followed Mr Wellon as he returned to his desk, the air of discipline and toughness that emanated from the man did nothing to help.

Mr Wellon pulled Chris’ large thick school records from beneath his desk and casually began reading through it, occasionally pausing to read over something Chris could not see.


There is no way this guy is going to let me into his school after reading that lot thought Chris, his eyes trained firmly on the headmasters every varying facial expression. Chris continued to sit in silence with his hands folded neatly in his lap.


After several more tedious minutes of waiting Mr Wellon rose from his chair and began to slowly pace back and forth in what appeared to be a thoughtful silence. He paused with his hand on the back of his large leather chair and Chris feared what was coming next. After a long pause and a quizzical expression written across his face, the headmaster spoke.....

“I have looked over your record and spoken with your parents but it was with you I wished to speak before we go any further!”


Chris simple sat nervously staring, saying nothing.

“It appears you have built yourself quite a record in challenging teachers during your schooling, would you care to explain?”

Chris was completely taken aback by this unexpected question and paused to choose his words carefully before speaking.

“Well sir, with all due respect, I don’t like the way I have been spoken to in the past. While they may be older and more learned than me, they have no right to demand my respect, I believe it should be earned”.


Chris felt he may have over stepped the mark by saying this but it was never the less the truth and he had a feeling that honesty would be the best policy in this instance.

The headmaster paused for a moment with a curious expression on his face and then he spoke.....

“Of course, you are quite right young man; however a small amount of respect must always be reserved for teachers as you have yourself stated, they are more learned than you and this is what, I feel, you have still to learn”.

“But sir” Chris replied immediately, with anger rising inside him “Why should I respect someone, simply because they know more than I do?”


“Ah my dear boy, this is what you have failed to understand, it is not the person you must respect but the knowledge they possess, as it is the only way one can learn” came Mr Wellon’s measured response.

Chris had finally understood what many people had been trying to tell him for some time, although maybe he had failed to understand as no one had explained it to him in this way before.


“I think I understand now” Chris replied.

“Good, the issue of you clashing with other students does not concern me as it is bound to happen at every school and to any child. I see from your test scores that you are not unintelligent Christopher; however I hope that now you understand the difference of respect as we have discussed the clashes with authority figures will cease and your grades will improve. I believe there is far more to come from you than we have seen so far!”


Chris was confused as to why he was receiving a reasonably warm response but agreed instantly.

“Your past no longer concerns me” came the heads response, “It is what your future holds that concerns me now, your new teachers will not be informed with regards to your past indiscretions as I feel it is best for you to reach your full potential, however this offer does not come freely. You must abide by all the rules we have set in place here and treat those around you how you expect to be treated yourself!”


“Of course sir” said Chris, “but please understand it was never about breaking rules, it was about standing up for myself!”

“Quite, quite, however please remember that your past behaviour will not be tolerated here and you are entering an entirely different environment to the ones from your past!”


“Yes sir, I’ve already realised that” came Chris’ response.


“Indeed, I’m sure you have, as you have accepted the terms we have discussed then you will be permitted into the school. So we will say no more for now and if you would kindly wait in the reception area, a student will be with you shortly to take you to class, and please send your parents as there are a few more matters I wish to discuss!”

Chris stood up and shook his new headmaster’s hand, “Yes sir, and thank you”.


Chris left the room in a state of shock and followed the corridor back out to the main reception where he told his parents that they needed to return. Once his parents had departed he sat down in the nearest chair in a state of bewilderment.

He had been so certain that his record would have denied him admittance; he never contemplated that he would be accepted nor would he receive such support from any adult let alone the headmaster. Even if he had been admitted he felt it would have only been begrudgingly.


But never the less, here he was, accepted warmly into a new school and a chance to start a fresh. What had just happened? He thought to himself as he sat there waiting for the unnamed student to come and collect him. His parents soon emerged from the office with the headmaster and after exchanging pleasantries, the headmaster vacated the scene leaving the family alone in the reception area.


“Don’t screw this up” said Derek, with a stern look on his face.

“I won’t” came Chris’ subdued reply.

“You better not. I can’t afford to have any time off dealing with you and your problems, ok?”

“Ok” said Chris.


As his parents turned and walked away, Chris uttered a few choice words about his father under his breath and was relieved when they disappeared from sight. He sat back in his chair and wondered about everything that had just happened. At least he had the support of his new headmaster if not the support of his father, but it didn’t bother him too much as from now on he would see even less of his parents now he was back at school.


So he sat in the waiting room twiddling his thumbs and gazing out of the window, wondering when he would be collected.



© 2021 R.D.Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

30 Views
Added on January 25, 2021
Last Updated on January 25, 2021


Author

R.D.Scott
R.D.Scott

London,England, United Kingdom



About
I am writing my very first Novel and also enjoy writing about my feelings as well as reading poetry. I have no formal education so my writing may not be perfect. I'm a dreamer and a thinker. I ho.. more..

Writing
New Beginnings New Beginnings

A Chapter by R.D.Scott


Moving On Moving On

A Chapter by R.D.Scott