Housemates and money

Housemates and money

A Chapter by R.D.Scott

With every passing week Chris grew happier and happier, his romance continued to blossom and his various friendships continued to grow. If he wasn’t with his girlfriend, he was spending time with Callum or with the whole group, laughing and joking.


He and Amanda continued to date as often as possible and despite the odd difference of opinion that would occasionally lead to an argument, their bond remained strong and the attraction they shared continued to grow. Despite the romance between them, they constantly fought their feelings of lust, trying their best to remain pure although the more they spent time together the tougher it became to ignore the urges growing within. To avoid temptation they spent a lot of time around their friends.


Although eager to taste its delights, neither of them was ready to broach the subject of sex. They also knew that with both of their fifteenth birthdays looming on the horizon that they were both underage so it would be illegal, so the subject remained taboo.


Early one morning Chris emerged from his flat ready for work, with Callum patiently waiting outside.


“You seem to be getting used to these early starts, you look half-awake this morning” said Callum cheekily.

 

“Yeah it’s not too bad. The route is a breeze now I know my way around, thanks to you of course. Besides I can’t afford to slack off now, I need all the money I can get!” replied Chris laughing a little.


“You’re welcome, how come you need the cash all of a sudden?”


“Amanda’s birthday is coming up and I want to do something special for her!”


“Have you got any ideas yet?”


“Yeah I already have an idea for a present but I’m hoping to save up enough cash to take her out for dinner!”


“Fair enough, how much do you have saved so far?” enquired Callum.


“About thirty so far, but I’m hoping to get to eighty, I reckon that should be enough but my clothes are a bit tatty, I may need to get something new but I doubt if the cash will stretch that far!” said Chris.


“Can’t you ask your dad for some money?”


“You know what he’s like, he wouldn’t give a door a bang but I may have too as there are only a few pay days left until her birthday!”


“Well it’s worth asking mate, he can only say no!” replied Callum.


After an easy morning of classes, Chris and Callum joined Amanda and her friends in the lunch hall. After enjoying their food with their friends, who all seemed to get along well considering they had been forced together, Chris and Amanda set off to the playing fields for some time alone.


Once they had found a quiet spot, Chris lowered his blazer to the floor and spread it out so they could sit down.

Once he had sat down, Amanda lowered herself between his legs and he wrapped his arms lovingly around her. For once their friends had taken the hint of needing time alone, and they sat there enjoying the beautiful winters day.

Eventually Chris broke the silence....


“You know your birthday’s coming up soon!”


“So is yours!” she said tilting her head up so she could see his face.


“Yeah well don’t worry about mine; have you made any plans for your birthday?”


“Not yet but the girls want to take me shopping on Saturday as a birthday treat!”


“But your birthday’s on the Friday right?”


“I think so” she said as she pulled out her school time table from her bag “According to this it is anyway!”


“Haven’t your parents planned anything?” Chris asked.


“Not that I know of!” she replied.


“Ok good, so can I have you for the evening then?”


“You already have me” she replied smiling as she wrapped Chris’ arms back around her as she slumped into a more comfortable position “Why what have you got planned?”


“I can’t tell you that!”


“And why not?” she asked quizzically.


“Because if I told you then it wouldn’t be a surprise now would it?” he replied grinning cheekily.


“That’s not fair, I hate you sometimes!”


“And I love to hate you too” Chris laughed.


This was the first mention of the “L” world and as she had not flinched at hearing it, Chris took it as a good sign and kissed her on top of her head. As he did she pulled his arms a little tighter around her and held him closer. Eventually the school bell rang and they got up, straightened their uniforms and lazily wandered back to school.

At the end of the school day everyone meet up at the gates, after giving Amanda a long kiss goodbye and offering a promise of a phone call, Chris set off with Callum for home.


The boys had brought their bikes that day as they had planned on a nice long ride; Amanda was being taken out by her mother so he was free for the day.


“Have you given any more thought to asking your dad for some money?” asked Callum.


“Yeah I have been thinking about it for most of the day!”


“And?”


“Well it looks like I’m going to have to; I seriously doubt the money I will have saved will stretch to dinner, gifts and clothes!”


“So when are you going to talk to him?”


“I will do it on the way home before we go for the ride!”


“Ok buddy, I’ll meet you at yours in a bit!”


“Yeah give me about an hour!” shouted Chris as they separated at their usual spot.


Chris was extremely anxious about talking to his father, he hadn’t set eyes on either of his parents in weeks and knowing his father’s attitude towards money, the task in front of him was a deeply unpleasant one.  So bracing himself for disappointment, he set off with a cloud of doom hanging over him.

Pulling up sharply outside the pub, he jumped off the bike and tucked it away behind the big oak doors. Steeling himself he stepped through and surveyed the large room for his father. After stopping for a quick chat with one of the regulars he knew well, he spotted his father cleaning glasses at the far end of the bar. He said a friendly goodbye to the elderly gentleman and tentatively stepped up to the bar.


“Father, have you got a minute?” he asked meekly.


“Yes but come out the back as you’re not meant to be in here!” replied Derek.


They disappeared off through another oak door that lead to the office.


“So what brings you down here? You’re not in trouble are you?”


“No nothing like that” Chris replied “I wanted to ask you if I could have some money!”


“Money, what do you need money for?” Derek asked as he began to frown.


“Well.... um.... I need new clothes!” he replied cautiously as he could see his father’s temper beginning to rise.


“You have plenty of clothes, what do you need more for?” Derek asked, his voice becoming more threatening with each word he spoke.


“All my clothes are old, my jeans have holes in and my trainers leak water whenever it rains!” Chris explained imploringly.


“Then wear your school shoes!” came Derek’s angry reply.


“But I can’t play football in my school shoes or I will ruin them!”


“Then stop playing football, your clothes are fine so get out, you’re wasting my time and I have a lot to do!”

Sensing danger Chris got up from his seat.


“Fine then!” said Chris quietly.


“I heard that!” replied his father “Don’t get smart with me boy or I will knock that attitude out of you!”


Chris did not argue any further due to his father’s threat and headed for the door but before he got there his father called him back.


“Before I forget, we have some house guest coming to stay so I want you to clean out the dining room as that’s where they will be staying!”


“Ok” said Chris as he bolted for the door, eager to get away.


He jumped on his bike and made the short journey home where he found Callum waiting in the car park.

Noticing Chris’ stony faced expression, he followed him in silence as they parked their bikes and headed up the stairs and into the flat. Eventually Callum broke the Silence....


“I take it you didn’t have much luck then?” he said as he sprawled on Chris’ bed.


“Nope!” Chris replied, still reeling from his encounter with his father.


“You know I really don’t get your old man, it’s not like you don’t help out round here!”


“I do everything around here, but I shouldn’t have bothered and now we have some of his friends coming to live with us, so I guess I will have more to do!”


“I gather he just dropped that bit of info on you?” Callum asked.


“Yep, no warning!”


“Come on mate lets go for that ride, it might take your mind off everything!”


After Chris quickly changed his clothes, the two boys set of for a long relaxing bike ride by the river.

Just as his father had announced, the new house guests arrived the following day. Larry and Sara had travelled from the previous pub to fill a staffing crisis at the present one.


They were nice enough people who had always been welcoming and friendly to Chris.

Larry was a similar height to Chris and had the look of a hells angel about him though his nature was soft and pleasant. His partner Sara was a short plump woman with frizzy hair, she and Chris had always gotten on very well as they shared a similar, wicked sense of humour.

Chris’ parents had not taken the time off to greet the new arrivals so Chris was left to help them bring all their belongings up from the car. Once it was all stacked up in their room, Chris made everyone a cup of Tea and they sat in the front room chatting.


“Don’t worry, you will hardly notice we’re here!” said Sara in a warm yet jovial tone.


“Just like my so called parents then!” replied Chris with a cheeky smile.


Despite the impending extra work load, Chris was glad Larry and Sara had come to stay. There were times when he had often wished that they had been his parents instead of the ones he had, for they had always made time to talk to him and treated him as an equal.


“So what’s been happening with you?” asked Larry as he paused from sipping his Tea.


“Oh the usual!” replied Chris as he dunked a biscuit in his cup “Staying out of the way, school that sort of thing!”


“You enjoying school?” asked Sara, who after many long conversations with Chris knew of his past troubles.


“Yeah it’s not bad, I quite like it around here, made a few good friends along the way!”


“Got yourself a girlfriend yet?” asked Sara cheekily, digging for as much information as she could get.


“Yes I have, I’m sure you will meet her soon. Her name is Amanda and I’m supposed to be taking her out for her birthday on Friday!” replied Chris.


“What do you mean supposed too?” enquired Sara looking slightly confused.


“Well you see I got a paper round so I could afford to take her to a restaurant for her birthday but I doubt going dressed like this would strike a romantic note for the evening now would it, so I may have to change my plans a bit!” Chris explained.


“Hmmm.... I see your point!” replied Sara, looking Chris up and down observing his tatty jeans and worn out old t-shirt 


“come on let’s see what you’ve got in your wardrobe!”


Taking Chris by the hand she dragged him off towards his bedroom as Larry tided up the cups and half eaten plate of biscuits.

After half an hour of rummaging around his wardrobe, Sara could find nothing suitable for him to wear.


“Are these your only pair?” asked Larry who had appeared at the bedroom door holding Chris’ battered trainers in his hand.


“Yep” replied Chris who was wearing his school shoes at the time in case he dropped something heavy on his feet when helping them move, “ I don’t wear them much though as they leak when it rains!”


“You can’t wear these either!” said Sara holding up another pair of scruffy jeans “Is this all you’ve got?”


“Yep, that’s all I own!”


 “Has your dad seen the state of your clothes?” asked Larry.


“Yep!” replied Chris trying to hide his obvious frustration.


Larry and Sara stood in silence shaking their heads before helping Chris straighten up his room and hang all of his clothes back in the wardrobe.


After an average day at school, he received a shocking surprise when he arrived home. As he walked past the front room he saw his father sat on the sofa, evidently waiting for him.


“Get changed boy, we’re going out!” explained his father.


“What?” said Chris trying to swallow a mouthful of biscuit while talking “ Where are we going?”


“We’re going shopping!” stated Derek.


Chris almost fell over in shock but then it dawned on him what must have happened, Sara and Larry must have said something.


He thought it must have been Sara more than Larry, although a warm woman by nature, Chris had witnessed her strong mind before and thought she must have had stern words with his father.

It wasn’t long before they returned from town, laden with bags. His father had brought him a rather expensive pair of black trainers, two new pairs of jeans and several new T-shirts and a shirt for his big night. The shopping trip had been surprisingly pleasant, although silent, his father had not complained about spending money on Chris and Chris thought his father feared Sara’s wrath had he dared to say too much.


Chris was still in shock at what had happened as this had been the first time in nearly a month that he had laid eyes on his father and probably the first time since they had arrived in town that they had spent more than thirty minutes in each other’s company.


“Thanks for this dad!” said Chris, it was the first time in what felt like forever since he had used the word dad, and it felt just as long since he had anything to thank him for.


“That’s ok!” replied Derek “just don’t get too used to it as it won’t happen that often!”


Chris fell back on the sofa slightly deflated, he had foolishly hoped that just maybe the shopping trip they had just embarked on would help thaw their icy relationship and maybe pave the way for them to build a bond.


“I hear you have a girlfriend, is that right?” Derek asked.


“That’s right” replied Chris as he brought in two cups of tea from the kitchen.


“Well just make sure it doesn’t interfere with your school work, ok?”


“It hasn’t done so far, so I wouldn’t worry if I were you!” replied Chris.



© 2021 R.D.Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

40 Views
Added on January 25, 2021
Last Updated on January 25, 2021


Author

R.D.Scott
R.D.Scott

London,England, United Kingdom



About
I am writing my very first Novel and also enjoy writing about my feelings as well as reading poetry. I have no formal education so my writing may not be perfect. I'm a dreamer and a thinker. I ho.. more..

Writing
New Beginnings New Beginnings

A Chapter by R.D.Scott


Moving On Moving On

A Chapter by R.D.Scott