First date

First date

A Chapter by R.D.Scott

The air was cool but refreshing as the two boys set off with Callum riding slowly beside Chris as he walked. They travelled through the town centre and onto the long road that connected the town. Callum deliberately avoided discussing the evening ahead, hoping to keep Chris calm and relaxed.


The walk was indeed a long one and Chris started to regret not taking the journey by bike but at least Callum was keeping things interesting. It could have been much worse had he been going alone. They passed the football stadium and their school before ending up in a small village. It was quite pleasant, with a small swing park for children and a cricket pitch.

The boys circled around the park several times as they couldn’t locate where the party was being held, which began to worry Chris although Callum was sure he had brought them to the right place. It wasn’t until they passed the park for a fifth time when Chris noticed out the corner of his eye, a large group of people disappearing through a large hedge on the opposite side of the square.


As the crowd began to disperse Chris saw Amanda standing at the entrance, looking radiant if slightly cold judging by the way she was rubbing her folded arms.


“That’s the place I better get going, can’t keep the lady waiting. Your meeting me at nine thirty right?”


“I think I can manage that, I’ll see if I can bring a bike for you” Callum replied.


“Cheers mate, I’ll see you then” Chris retorted as he turned on his heels and set off for the other side of the square.


He paused in a moment of hesitation and turned to see Callum throwing him a casual wave as he headed off into the oncoming darkness. Chris stood in the centre of the square gazing at Amanda and running over in his mind what the night could hold for them both. But he could not stay there much longer as Amanda’s wandering gaze seemed to be becoming more concerned.


Fearing she felt he might be standing her up, he steeled himself and moved nervously forwards. He slowly made his way across the road. As he stepped onto the pavement Amanda’s head turned and the look on her face changed to one of relief and happiness.


“Hi, sorry.... I’m.... Er.... a little late, I had trouble finding the place” stuttered Chris as he approached her.


“Hey” she replied warmly “That’s ok, it is a bit secluded”.


“You look fantastic” he said and as the words came out of his mouth, her smile grew wider.


Dressed in a simple black dress, with black tights and black shoes, the outfit seemed to make her eyes sparkle brighter and her smile even more radiant. Every time he saw her she appeared more beautiful, more elegant.


“Well.... um.... thanks, Shall we go in?”


“Er.... yeah ok” he replied nervously.


She took his hand gently in hers and as they stepped forward, fear struck his chest and he froze. It had been a long time since he had been to a social event of this size and he felt ill equipped to deal with the occasion. Seemingly reading his mind she gently squeezed his hand and looked at him with sympathy and understanding.


“It’s ok” she said softly “Come on I’ll introduce you to everyone”.


Chris gave her a warm but insecure smile. Breathing in deeply as if preparing for the worst, he regained his grip on her hand and followed her over the threshold. They emerged in the doorway side by side. She appeared to be glowing with pride. Chris looked as if he had been caught in the headlights of an oncoming bus and didn’t feel as if he could move.

His feelings weren’t helped when three other young women came bounding towards the door, with a look of excitement and hungry curiosity on their faces.


They were quickly introduced as Emily, Dawn and Carla, Amanda’s friend from French class. Amanda left with her friends to fetch some drinks and as soon as they were out of sight, Chris found the closest seat and tried to blend into the darkness.

 

It wasn’t long before she re-emerged, carrying two cups of soft drink and as he stood up to receive the cup, they were immediately swamped by more people. After Amanda introduced him to what seemed like everyone at the party, she kindly pulled him away from the crowd to a secluded table. There they sat staring at each other, discussing their lives and learning about each other. But they were constantly interrupted by others and Amanda also kept disappearing.

It appeared that their first date had coincided with the annual Eurovision song contest and the hosts of the party had brought with them a portable TV which was situated in the kitchen. Everyone was running back and forth through the door to check on the results and to see how the English entrant was fairing. Not being a fan of the contest, Chris remained at the table when Amanda went to check; he didn’t mind her occasional disappearance as it gave him time to relax and gather himself, to absorb everything she had told him.


As time went on he began to feel more at ease with the situation.


Not only was the object of his affection the most beautiful girl he had ever met, she also had a kind and warm nature. The class cap that he had so feared was evident but it did not seem to be a problem, if anything Amanda seemed to revel in it, listening intently to what it was like to live in London.


Eventually the interest in the Eurovision song contest began to die away as the English act was not doing well and everyone made their way back into the main hall. Amanda went away for a brief chat and a dance with her friends and Chris used this break to retreat into his dark corner and survey everyone at the party.


It wasn’t long before Amanda returned, by which time the music had slowed to a more romantic pace. Mustering all the courage he could, he stood up straight and tall and held out his hand....


“Would you like to dance?” he asked softly.


“Yes I would” she replied with a broad smile.


She took his hand and rose gracefully from her chair. He smiled proudly as he led her across the room to the dance floor. Every eye seemed to focus on them as the crowd seemed to withdraw leaving the two of them in the centre of the floor.

The rest of the world seemed to melt away and all the light seemed to hang over the two young lovers as Chris gently slid his arms around her slender yet curvy waist. She wasn’t as tall as Chris with her head coming just under his chin but she slipped her arms gently around his neck. There they stood, swaying together in time with the music.

With her head rested gently against his chest, Chris could smell the sweet scent of her silky hair.


Her arms so slender, wrapped around him, gently they moved back and forth, caring not for the world around them but only for the moment they were in. Slowly she raised her head to reveal a subtle, contented smile and those shinning eyes.

Their eyes met deepest brown to brightest blue. Moving together peacefully, naturally they felt the warmth grow in their tenderness for each other. Never a word uttered, everything was said with their eyes. There was no other place in the world that Chris wanted to be.


The song soon ended and their moment came to an end.


Slowly they unwrapped themselves from each other and joining hands; they dreamily wandered back to their table. They sat holding hands across the table, saying nothing, just gazing at each other but after what felt like forever, Chris broke the loving gaze and looked up at the clock.

It was rapidly approaching half past nine and he was conscious that Callum was waiting for him outside.


“I’m really sorry but I’ll have to go in a minute” Chris said sadly “Callum will be waiting for me”.


“It’s ok” she said warmly “it’s not as if I’m never going to see you again is it?”


“Very true, just know that I don’t want this night to end!”


“Honestly its fine, come on I’ll walk you to the door”.


She took his hand and they rose together from their table, making their way to the door. After saying goodbye to all the people he had met, the two young lovers made their way out into the night. Pulling the door behind him as they left, they stood in front of each other hoping they didn’t have to say goodbye.


“Are you free tomorrow?” Chris asked hopefully.


“I’m busy until one o’clock, but after that I’m free” she replied happily.


“Can I see you tomorrow?”


“Yes” came her resounding response.


“So shall I call you or do you want to call me?” asked Chris.


“I’ll call you if that’s ok?” she replied “It will just be easier as that way I can call you once I’m finished with everything else!”


“That’s perfect, I’ll be waiting!”


Smiling happily at each other, Chris stepped slowly forward. Sliding his left arm around her waist, he pulled her gently towards him. Softly he moved his right hand through her silky, soft hair before cupping her cheek in his hand. Tenderly he lent forward and placed his lips on hers. Her lips were as soft as a rose petal and he lingered momentarily before pulling slowly away.


Her eyes remained closed for a moment but when she opened them she was greeted with a warm smile. After one last look in to her deep dark eyes, he looked over to the park to see Callum waiting.


“I’ll see you tomorrow” he said and as she sighed he reluctantly let go of her hand and turned to cross the road.


Fearing he could not leave, he dashed across to the park not looking back.


Entering the square through the gate, Chris saw Callum waiting patiently with a spare bike and their friend Tony on roller skates.


Flinging his leg over the bike, he jumped on the saddle and the three boys moved off.


He wanted to get away as quickly as possible but couldn’t resist a look back to the scene of his magical night.

After a few miles and saying goodbye to Tony, with thanks for helping get the second bike there, the boys slowed to a lazy pace. Callum, looking intrigued and eager, began the inevitable line of questioning....


“So, how did it go?”


“Pure magic” came Chris’ beaming response.


“So are you two an item then?”


“I wouldn’t go that far, but there’s definitely something there that’s for sure”.


“But did you kiss her?” Callum asked.


“A gentleman never tells!”


“So that’s a yes then” Callum replied cheekily.


“I’m not saying” Chris retorted with a wry smile.


“So when are you seeing her again?”


“Tomorrow at some point, she’s going to call me”.


“So all in all, a good night then?”


“I don’t think it could have gone any better!”


The two boys carried on the rest of the journey in silence before saying goodbye at half way and heading their separate ways.


Chris arrived home exhausted but elated. He dragged his aching legs up the stairs and after unlocking the door, he staggered to his bedroom and collapsed on his bed. Dazzled by the night he had just enjoyed, he rested his hands behind his head and stared at the ceiling.



© 2021 R.D.Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

38 Views
Added on January 25, 2021
Last Updated on January 25, 2021


Author

R.D.Scott
R.D.Scott

London,England, United Kingdom



About
I am writing my very first Novel and also enjoy writing about my feelings as well as reading poetry. I have no formal education so my writing may not be perfect. I'm a dreamer and a thinker. I ho.. more..

Writing
New Beginnings New Beginnings

A Chapter by R.D.Scott


Moving On Moving On

A Chapter by R.D.Scott