Birthday surprise

Birthday surprise

A Chapter by R.D.Scott

Chris staggered out of the entrance to the flat, dragging the bike lazily behind him as the chill of that Friday morning hit him full in the face. Winter was now in full swing as it was early November and the mornings were getting colder and colder.


“Have you got everything sorted and ready for tonight?” Callum asked, as he watched Chris climb sleepily onto his bike.


“Yeah everything’s in place!” Chris replied, trying to stifle a yawn behind his gloved hand.


“I thought you would be used to these early starts by now?”


“Oh I am!” Chris retorted “ They just made a lot of noise coming back from work this morning, A lot of banging and crashing about at half two!”


“So you nervous about tonight?”


“Yes and no! No because everything is organised but yes because I really want her to have a good time!”


“I’m sure she will. So have you got anything else planned?”


“Like what?” Chris asked with a quizzical expression.


“Well you know, are you two going to….?”


“No of course not!” came Chris’ disapproving response.


“Ok, I just thought you might!” Callum replied.


“And why would you think that?”


“Well it’s just that you guys have been together for months now and everyone seems to think you’re up to it already!”


“Well we’re not!” Chris replied defiantly.


“Fair enough, I didn’t mean to offend you!”


“No worries mate you haven’t, I’m just surprised you brought it up!”


“What because I’m a virgin?” Callum enquired.


“No, it’s just your normally too polite for questions like that!”


Both boys laughed as they continued to cycle slowly through the town centre.

After finishing his round, the boys met and headed back to his flat where Chris cooked a hearty fried breakfast. After polishing off their food, Chris got changed into his uniform and they headed off to Callum’s. Once Callum had changed they quickly finished off the last piece of homework before heading to school.

They chatted as they casually wandered; discussing Chris’ plans for the evening and Callum offered his help after school to make sure the flat was tidy.

 

It wasn’t long before they were approaching the school gates and in front of them was a large gaggle of students huddled together. Chris was sure Amanda was at the centre of the group, so decided to hang back with Callum until the crowd had passed on their birthday wishes.


“Did you bring her gift with you?” Callum whispered out the side of his mouth.


“No, I’m going to give it to her tonight! And no I don’t mean that!” Chris replied, half laughing at Callum who was wearing a cheeky grin and wiggling his eyebrows.


They waited a few more minutes until the crowd had thinned sufficiently enough for Amanda to come into view before they stepped forward. Callum quickly wished Amanda a happy birthday before blending seamlessly into the background. Chris stepped forward, wrapped her in his arms and planted a long, lingering kiss on her lips.


“Happy birthday gorgeous!” Chris said, with a big smile.


“Thank you baby!” Amanda replied.


They joined hands and the small group of Chris, Callum, Amanda and her friends moved slowly off.


“Er.... excuse me but where is her present?” came Emily’s self-important voice.


“You’ll get your gift tonight babe!” Chris replied, ignoring Emily behind him.


“What’s happening tonight then?” Amanda asked eagerly.


“You’ll find out later!” Chris replied, with a cheeky grin “Just put your best dress on and meet me at my place at six o’clock ok?”


“Ok” she answered “but I still want to know what you’re up to!”


“All in good time babe, all in good time!” Chris replied, a little smugly.


After another long embrace, the young couple separated for the morning with a promise of their usual lunchtime meeting.

Their lunch was constantly interrupted by people wishing Amanda happy birthday, everywhere they went there was someone waiting so they had no time alone. This did not worry Chris unduly as he knew that he would have her all to himself later that evening. He was quite happy to blend into the background with Callum and let his lady shine.

At the end of the school day Chris met Amanda at the gates to confirm the evening’s arrangements before she jumped into the back of her parent’s car and sped off. Chris waited patiently for Callum to join him and together they set off towards Chris’ flat.


Callum was as good as his word and helped to make the place spotless.

The best thing about Callum, in Chris’ mind, was that he always seemed to know when he was anxious or nervous and knew exactly how to ease the tension.  It wasn’t long before Callum had him in fits of laughter and continued to keep him that way until five o’clock when it was time for Chris to get himself ready for the evening. They said their goodbyes and Chris headed to the bathroom.


After jumping in the bath, Chris returned to his room and proceeded to sort through his clothes. Eventually he settled on a pale green dress shirt, black trousers and his school shoes, which he gave a good clean and polish so they were near perfect. Once he was fully dressed he headed back to the bathroom where he gave his teeth a heavy cleaning and run gel through his hair. It was now so long that he needed the gel just to stop it from falling into his eyes and not just for the effect of tidiness.

He returned to his room and began checking himself in the mirror, when there was a knock on the door....


“Come in!” Chris replied while checking his appearance to make sure he was presentable.


“Don’t you look handsome?” Sara said, as she peered round the door.


“You think so?”


“Definitely!” she replied “if I were ten years younger!”


They both laughed and shared a hug.


“I do owe you thanks though, I don’t know what you did to my old man but he actually took me shopping the other day!”


“I don’t know what you mean!” Sara replied, with a wink and a smile “So what do you have planned for tonight then?”


“Starting with dinner, then a walk by the river and then probably back here if we have any time left!”


“Well Larry and I are off work tonight so I will take him out for the evening so you have the place to yourselves!”


“You don’t have to do that!” Chris retorted.


“Honestly it’s fine, we haven’t had much time to explore the area anyway due to work. You just enjoy yourself ok?”


“Ok and thanks again, for everything!” he replied, with a grateful smile.


Sara left the room as Chris tried in vain to get his hair to stay in place before hearing a faint “good luck!” through his bedroom door from Larry and Sara.


Nervously he twiddled his thumbs in anxious anticipation until he heard a loud car horn sound from the car park below. He peered out through the curtains and was relieved to see Amanda climbing out of her parent’s car.

He quickly sprayed himself again with deodorant before rushing downstairs to greet her. He opened the door and stepped into the car park, flung his arms around her and planted a long deep kiss on her lips.


“Happy birthday baby!” Chris said, as their lips parted and he starred into her eyes.


“Thank you. So what’s happening tonight then?” she asked.


“No need to rush, come on lets go upstairs!”


He took her by the hand and they slowly wandered up the stairs and into his flat, coming to a stop in his bedroom. It was only when she took off her deep blue denim jacket that Chris realised just how beautiful she looked. Wearing a black dress with climbing red roses and black tights with black shoes, she looked a picture of beauty and elegance.

Her hair was shinier and silkier than ever before and her smile seemed to light up the world as she’d had her braces removed the day before. Her eyes were the deepest of brown, yet still seemed to sparkle like the brightest star. In his eyes she was simply stunning, the most beautiful woman in the entire world.


He gently ushered her over to his bed where she elegantly sat down and he rushed over to his chest of drawers, reached inside and pulled out a deep blue velvet box.  He walked over to the bed and took his place next to her, before placing the box gently in her open, waiting hand.


“Here is one of your birthday gifts, I hope you like it!” he said, as he planted a soft kiss on her cheek.


Slowly she opened the box to reveal its contents, sat on a velvet pillow was a nine carat gold split pendant.


“It’s lovely but what does it say on it?” she asked trying to make out the inscription.


“When you join the two pieces together it reads, I love you more today than yesterday but less than tomorrow!” Chris explained.


“It’s beautiful, will you help me put it on?”


“Of course!” Chris replied, as they both stood up.


Amanda pulled her long flowing hair back as he draped it gently across her slender neck before fastening the coupling at the back.


“But hang on!”  Amanda said “you said this was just one of my gifts, so what else are you up to mister?” she asked, with a curious smile on her face.


“That’s right I forgot something, hang on I’ll be right back!” Dashing from his room, he returned moments later with his hands behind his back.


Slowly he pulled one hand forward to reveal a white teddy bear with a red silk bow around its neck. Then with the other he produced a large bouquet of red roses .


“Beautiful flowers for the most beautiful lady!”


“Awww.... that’s so sweet, thank you!” Amanda replied, as she leant over to take in their aroma.


“And now” Chris said, rising from his knees “if you would be so kind as to put your jacket back on and follow me?”


“Ok” she replied, looking happy yet puzzled “but where are we going?”


“Well as it’s your birthday, I was wondering if you would allow me the honour of taking you to dinner.”


“Of course I will!” she replied, with a beaming smile of delight.


Amanda slipped back into her jacket with Chris’ help and hand in hand, they headed out into the street.


Although winter was in full swing, the evening was warm and pleasant, as if it had changed just for their one special night.


“What time have you got to be home?” Chris asked, as they wandered slowly down the road towards the high street.


“My mum and dad are picking me up at ten!” she explained, her head resting happily on his shoulder.


“That should be plenty of time!”


“But where are we going?” she asked, yet again.


“Well that is, of course, entirely up to you!” Chris replied “however I have made reservations at a small Italian restaurant, just up here on the left if you wish to use it!”


“That sounds perfect!” she replied happily, as they set off up the road.


They eventually came to a stop outside the restaurant and Chris held the door open to allow Amanda to pass through. The restaurant was romantically lit with candles and a single carnation on each table. The walls were a pale pastel colour with large prints of Italy.


They were seated by the waitress at a table right in front of the window so they could gaze out at the passers-by. The table was a dark wood and just big enough for them both. Chris pulled out Amanda’s chair in that old fashioned gentleman kind of way.


Joining her at the table, they sat across from each other and began to flick through the menu.


“Don’t worry about a thing!” Chris said reassuringly “everything is taken care of, so order whatever you like!”


She smiled lovingly at him and after ordering, they stared into each other’s eyes as their hands joined at the centre of the table.


“You really didn’t have to go to all this trouble!” Amanda said politely.


“For you nothing is too much trouble, besides it’s your birthday!”


“I know you keep saying that but you really didn’t have too. Why did you?”


“Maybe I did it because I thought you’re worth it or because I wanted to give you something to remember, or maybe.... just maybe it’s because I have fallen so deeply in love with you that I would do anything just to see you smile!”


Amanda said nothing for a moment, all she could do was blush and smile happily.


“Well thank you!” she replied, after a long pause “not just for tonight but also for being you. I’m really glad you just said what you did because I’ve fallen in love with you too!”


They smiled at each other and as their eyes met they slowly leaned across the table and shared a tender kiss.


After enjoying a wonderfully filling meal, topped off by a stupendous chocolate cake and sumptuous double chocolate sundae, Chris settled the outstanding bill and they set off once again.

The night had swept in while they’d been enjoying their meal. The sky had darkened to reveal the stars, while the air was still mild and friendly.

Standing out front of the restaurant Amanda turned to Chris, “What shall we do now?”


“Well” Chris said, in his most pompous voice “The night is young and so are we. We have the river off to your right where we could go for a stroll and maybe get a drink from the pub along the way or we have the town centre to your left with its many amenities including an excellent although rather small cinema. Your wish my lady, is my command!”

Amanda giggled at his impression and low bow he bestowed upon her, “A walk by the river sounds wonderful, I need to work off some of that incredible food!”


“It was good wasn’t it, but are you having a good time?”” Chris replied, having returned to his normal demeanour. 


“The best time!” she replied, snuggling up to his shoulder as they walked on towards the river.


“Good, then my work is done!” Chris replied jovially.


He slid his arm over her shoulder as she snaked her arm around his waist and together they wandered along the road in blissful silence.

They stopped off at the pub and thanks to the kindness of the barman, Chris managed to procure two glasses of coca cola, which they sat sipping as they watched the lights of the river boats come on and the people inside draw their curtains.

They watched as fellow lovers passed them by, taking in the beauty of the moon lit night.


“Thank you for a wonderful evening” Amanda said, contently staring at the pearl white moon.


“It was my pleasure!” he replied, gazing lovingly as he watched her staring up at the sky “besides it’s only eight o’clock and your parents aren’t picking you up for another two hours. So what do you want to do for the rest of the night?”

Amanda turned to face him as they sat on the pub bench and there was a look in her eyes that Chris had never seen before. For a moment he mistook it for anger but after she delivered a powerful, passionate kiss her intentions seemed to become much clearer.


Breaking apart, she stared into his eyes....


“I want to go back to your place!”

Smiling invitingly, she took his hand and led him off back down the bank of the river.


© 2021 R.D.Scott


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

33 Views
Added on January 25, 2021
Last Updated on January 25, 2021


Author

R.D.Scott
R.D.Scott

London,England, United Kingdom



About
I am writing my very first Novel and also enjoy writing about my feelings as well as reading poetry. I have no formal education so my writing may not be perfect. I'm a dreamer and a thinker. I ho.. more..

Writing
New Beginnings New Beginnings

A Chapter by R.D.Scott


Moving On Moving On

A Chapter by R.D.Scott