2008: a summary

2008: a summary

A Chapter by Raef C. Boylan
"

April through to December. Hopefully the last self-pitying rant on this particular subject.

"

How many bombshells can one year contain? How many before a person’s sanity smashes into jagged, uneven pieces; irreparable? Your uncle is dying. Your girlfriend wants to f**k guys while still preserving your special relationship. A week later, your girlfriend wants to have a special relationship with her boss, whom she's f*****g, instead. You are “unreasonable” for asking your girlfriend not to have sex with her boss in your home. Your girlfriend hasn’t come home in days; it’s just you and her pregnancy test on the couch. The test is negative. Your uncle is dead. The new guy is on the couch drinking beer with you. Your girlfriend can’t afford the rent so you need to move; maybe the three of you could get a place together. Your girlfriend has split up from that guy so it’ll be just the two of you in a new place. Your girlfriend is moving in with that guy and you’ll probably have to stay at your mum’s for a few weeks until you find somewhere. Your ex-girlfriend who is still your best friend barely comes home and doesn’t want to hear why you’re crying. Your best friend gets pissed off each time you cry. You’re back to wanting to kill yourself. You and your best friend properly argue for the first time, over an emotional misunderstanding. There doesn’t seem to be anything left in the world for you to hold onto. You try to kill yourself. You both pack all your stuff into boxes because this house is no longer your home and someone else wants to move in. You move out. You find a new place in which to live alone and try to be positive about concepts of independence. Your best friend and her lover buy a puppy together. The puppy is cute and breaks your heart on more than one level. The first Christmas in three years that you won’t be with your best friend, she’ll be spending in a log cabin with her boyfriend and puppy, in the country you’d both once planned to visit for your anniversary. You’re hanging out with your best friend’s family because they at least seem to enjoy your company; she tells you she dislikes you for it. It’s been eight months and you don’t cry much any more but aren’t exactly over the hurt yet. Your ex-girlfriend is pregnant. She comes running to you at 4 am…for cigarettes.

Happy New Year.



© 2008 Raef C. Boylan


Author's Note

Raef C. Boylan
Sorry 2008, I'm being unfair to you - the first three months were great, and I AM grateful...but did the rest of it have to be so painful? Man, debt sucks.


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

you have a brutal honesty that sometimes seems as cool and nonchalent as flicking a half-smoked cigarette to the gutter on a walk to tomorrow.

i can't begin to imagine the year you've had. as a written piece i think you strike gold with the ending. her coming to you... for cigarettes. it's like a sick punchline where all you get is a punch.

review aside.... HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

you are one of my favorite people here on the WC and for what it's worth i think you are pretty damn awesome. and i'm glad you are still around.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

you have a brutal honesty that sometimes seems as cool and nonchalent as flicking a half-smoked cigarette to the gutter on a walk to tomorrow.

i can't begin to imagine the year you've had. as a written piece i think you strike gold with the ending. her coming to you... for cigarettes. it's like a sick punchline where all you get is a punch.

review aside.... HHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!

you are one of my favorite people here on the WC and for what it's worth i think you are pretty damn awesome. and i'm glad you are still around.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I wouldn't say it was self pitying; its far more cynical and slightly sarcastic to be considered self indulgent, either.

Of course, you COULD get a novel out of this. But obviously, it could be too personal for you, which would be understandable.

More than anything, I hope this cleared your head a bit.


Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh no - have I just thrown a synopsis for a novel to the wolves? Lol; it does seem a bit like the notes you might make, timeline for the plot, before filling in the gaps.
Nicely observed, w.k.kortas.

Posted 15 Years Ago


There's a novel here. This is marvelously deadpan and detached. And, again, there is a novel contained therein.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

aw, feck. The worse year condensed into a thirty second commercial. Only you could have done that justice.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

738 Views
5 Reviews
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 15, 2008
Last Updated on December 22, 2008


Author

Raef C. Boylan
Raef C. Boylan

Coventry, UK, United Kingdom



About
Hey there. RAEF C. BOYLAN Where Nothing is Sacred: Volume One www.lulu.com/content/paperback-book/where-nothing-is-sacred-volume-i/1637740 I can also .. more..

Writing
Shrubs Shrubs

A Story by Raef C. Boylan