Love Me Not
1986, Penny Herrera falls into the predatory clutches of Matt, an older man who has no other intention than to alter Pen
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Freaks

Freaks

A Chapter by Brianna Van Zandt
"

The Freak Show segment of the Carnival. I believe this is the 17th track on the album http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zF8N83XSMaE

"

Chapter Two: Freaks

                I knew we had no way out, so I assumed we would have to wait out the night, wait until dawn when evil beings were supposed to lose their hold on the real world and the mortals in it. I let Asher guide me closer to the center of the Carnival, the only available path being through the Freak Show section. I could hear the chains dragging against the bottoms of their cages. I couldn’t will myself to look up at the deformed people behind the bars, but Asher was more than happy gawking at them. He laughed at one person’s ailments, then at another. His laughing was drowned out suddenly by a growl in the cage closest to my ear. I began to move away, but a clawed hand grabbed my shoulder and pulled me back against the cold metal that kept the being trapped within.

                “Janelle!” Asher shouted when I let out a terrified cry.  He pulled me away from the monstrous creature in the cage and we both crashed to the ground, which was mostly dirt, aside from the sparse patches of grass. We looked up to find a grotesquely deformed thing pressed against the bars, reaching for us with its massive claws. I could hear it breathing, a heavy sound, almost growling with each inhalation. In my head, I heard a laugh, a sound that sent chills racing down my spine. The creature before us seemed to be trying to breathe normally, but each attempt resulted in another growl.

                I looked at Asher, but his eyes were glued to the freak in the cage. When I looked back, the being seemed to smile at me, flashing large teeth that glistened with saliva in the fading moonlight before it tilted its head back and laughed, the same one I’d heard in my head. I couldn’t stay here. Pushing past Asher, I bolted for the end of the Freak Show, stumbling as I crossed to the next potential horror: a snake charmer.



© 2012 Brianna Van Zandt


Author's Note

Brianna Van Zandt
Another short one, but I didn't have much to go on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

another well written part. great emotional expression.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Kit-Kat, I have to say I absolutely LOVE this story so far! Very well done! Love it!

~Your Angel

Posted 11 Years Ago


Enjoying your story..
Great job :D
Keep writing...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Takes time to map out what you want to speak about and interact with. This short section read fine.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Nice ^.^

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe

Know That I Too
We are never alone (a poem for mental health month)
Compartment 114
Compartment 114

Stats

303 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on August 15, 2012
Last Updated on September 25, 2012


Author

Brianna Van Zandt
Brianna Van Zandt

United States Minor Outlying Islands



About
It's been a while since I've been here. I'm now twenty years old, and though my time for writing has dwindled, my passion has not. If anything, it has grown – and made it infinitely more difficu.. more..

Writing