Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Compartment 114
Compartment 114
Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Ren Nightshade

CHAPTER ONE

 

"(Sigh) I'm gonna be late again," I mutter as I carefully step out of bed and stealthily manuever around the mess of broken glass, pencils, tattered clothes, and wood that lay scattered across my floor.

I head to my once neat closet and grab the only clothes still wearable: my uniform. Hmm, Rae was right. Leaving my uniform in the corner of my closet would save it from the chaos of last nights dream. After dressing and eating a mediocre breakfast of half a glass of orange juice I head to Emotion Academy.

 

As I reach the gate of the school I think back to when I was considering what academy to attend. I didn't have bad grades at all and Emotion Academy isn't a school for people failing at life. In fact, it is quite the contrary. It's for people who are fueled by the emotion in their life. As such, the grading system, uniforms, even what name you are called is determined by a simple personality test. I chose to try to learn more about book writing since it has been the only thing that inspired the slightest bit of passion in me for as long as I can remember. Everything about me had been exceptional, except for the one thing that mattered. The dreaded personality test.

Just then, the voice of my writing professor breaks through my serene thoughts, and nothingness begins to take over my entire demeanor as he goes on to say, "Ah you bothered to try and be on time today, have you Numb? I'm glad you made the effort but you still are quite late. You will have to stay after class again."


I sighed internally as I took note of the laughter from my fellow peers. It bugged me, but not enough to rise any emotion to the surface. Afterall, this was a routine that had developed between Professor Enthus, myself, and all my fellow classmates that wished to learn more about writing. I would come in somewhat late, Professor Enthusiasm would scold me in his usual enthusiastic voice, and everyone would laugh until he silenced them and went back to teaching.

Here we go again, I thought as the last of the students left the room. "Numb, we've talked about this many times before," he said with the over exaggeration he and his famous works were known for. "Your writing is wonderful, BUT, in a world where everything is dictated by emotion there is no room for someone with none. I have given you ample chances but I think this is the end between you and me."


As he said the words that I knew would mark my end in his class forever, some part of me was surprised yet sad. We had this conversation a million times. But it never ended like this. Normally he would tell me my writing lacked emotion, and to work harder at making the characters feel things. Then we'd sit and talk about on of the many famous adventure novels he had written.


I had decided to go to this academy for the simple fact that the only author that had ever inspired any emotion out of me was here, and now he is dropping me from his class, I thought as I headed to the counselors office. "What's this," I muttered as I reached up and wiped water that had suddenly begun to fill my eyes and pour down my face. This is an emotion, right? I thought as I ducked into a restroom to look at my face.


After staring at my face in numb surprise I looked up what the water dripping from my eyes would be called, just to be sure I wasn't sick with som kind of disease. "Ha tears," I said in a somewhat hysterical voice, "Rae would be proud."


Then I wiped the last of them from my eyes and headed to the exit of the restroom. But I never made it out the door because just as I was about to exit I heard the voice of the man enveloped in the ethereal light, but it wasn't in my head this time, it was out loud. Like someone was talking right in front of me with that voice, but it was impossible right?! I stood there listening to the voice that captivated me and made me feel calm all at once.

"Look there's no need to be so angry. I'm just suggesting we try to find her, that's all."

"That's not what I'm mad about-"


But before the other voice could finish, my hand forced open the door to the restroom all on its own, and I saw the holder of that ethereal voice. He stopped and stood stark still in front of me with the most surprised look on his face.


Wow, I thought as I took in the unnatural beauty of all his features. He had long silver hair that fell messily over his right eye and skin almost as pale; but that wasn't the most beautiful thing about him; it was his eyes. The looked like two piles of snow being hit by the sun perfectly to make them sparkle.


Ah, my hearts pounding really hard, am I having a heart attack, I thought as I put my hand to my chest.


I must look so weird, I thought as I tried to move, but them out of nowhere my legs gave way beneath me, and the next thing I knew I was falling to the ground. As I braced myself for the impact as well as the embarrassment I felt a strong arm wrap around my waist and hold me close to steady me.


As my eyes shot up in shock, the man who shared the same ethereal voice as the once in my dream spoke very worriedly.


"Are you alright," My mind was whirling and all my thoughts were jumbled.

This has never happened before, I thought as the ethereal one continued to say, "Hmm you seem kind of pale." He pause after saying that for a few seconds and I felt my already racing pulse speed up as our eyes met and his arm tightened ever so slightly. My face must have went red because the next thing I knew he picked me up like I was nothing and gently carried me to the infirmary. All the while I hoped my irregular heartbeat would go unnoticed by him.



 

CHAPTER ONE END



© 2019 Ren Nightshade


Author's Note

Ren Nightshade
Feel free to tell me exactly what you think ad don't sugar coat it!!! v(^~^)v Also, if you have any suggestions or don't understand certain parts please tell me so I can make changes or at least acknowledge that part doesn't make perfect sense to everyone.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Fox
Seems like an interesting start, I'm interested in how it develops.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ren Nightshade

5 Years Ago

Thank you!!! I look forward to your continued feedback (^V^)
Sounds like a love novel. One that could go many different places. Keep up the good work

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ren Nightshade

5 Years Ago

Thank you very much!!!
Kathryn Eddy

5 Years Ago

I know you'll return the favor

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

110 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 26, 2019
Last Updated on February 26, 2019


Author

Ren Nightshade
Ren Nightshade

Canal Winchester, OH



About
I am an 18 year old aspiring author and trying to be manga artist. For as long as I have remembered I have wanted to write books and be a librarian. Funny right? It all started when I read a book seri.. more..

Writing