Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Sarah W. French

A few minutes or a few hours could have passed when I stop running. I find my self in a clear patch of grass and I don’t hear the mob following me anymore. I lie down by a tree and try to calm down. Soon my paws turn back into hands and I sit up as I am back in human form. I look around and I recognize where I am. Sadly I’m closer to my village then I thought I was. If anything I’m two miles out.

I need to come out with a plan. Where can I go? What will I eat? Can I make it in the woods by myself? I am not paying action to my surroundings when I should. I hear footsteps but it’s to late to run. A few moments more and I see whom those footsteps belong to. In a questioning voice I look up at him “…Fife?” He leans down and puts his hand on my shoulder. “I don’t know how you got that magic but I do know that you don’t deserve to be hunted like this. I’ll be leaving town in a day or two I can help…” His voice wavers and stops when the men of my village catch up with me.  
         Otis is at the front of the pack and has a coil of rope in hand. He is at my side before I can even try to get to my feet. Fife is pushed to the back of the crowd and my hands are tied in front of my body. Another length of rope is used as a sort of leash. Otis turns back to the crowd and motions for someone to come forward. I gasp as I see my Father and I try to stand up. I’m yanked back down and land with a thud.
         My Father nods to Otis and bends down to be next to me. I flinch when he finally looks me in the eyes. “Honey, who did you kill to get this magic?” I can’t believe my ears and he repeats his question before I answer, “How can you think I’m capable of that kind of evil?”
“Well you certainly weren’t born with it.”
“I didn’t kill ANYONE”
         He shakes his head ant turns back to Otis. He hands my leash to a random person from the crowd who looks pleased to be a part of the ‘action’. I can tell they are whispering about what to do with me. I hear words thrown back and forth such as: message, jail, and The Nobles. My Father turns and runs back to the village. Otis comes and takes the leash from the random man. He looks sad that he lost his moment of glory. They lead me back the way I had came. I plead knowing no one will care, “I don’t know how I got my magic but I swear on my life I didn’t kill anyone to get it.” Otis jerks the leash and turns around. He is still walking as he menacingly whispers so only I can hear, “I don’t care if you killed anyone, made a deal with a Dark One, or had magic all your life. You are not wanted here. One of The Nobles are coming in a few days and you will be locked up. Like you should have been long before now.”
         I stumble along with wide eyes. I use the same low tone he used, “Why do you hate me so much?” Smiling like a mad man he says, “I don’t hate you not really. You just don’t fit in. You are an aberration, someone who doesn’t belong.”

By the time we get back to the village a cage has been set up specially made for me and The Nobles have been messaged. Otis throws me in to the cage made of leftover wood. My leash is tied to one of the pegs so I can’t run away. I can’t take it anymore I shout out, “I could just transform you know!” To my surprise my Mother walks up to the cage. She leans in but speaks so everyone can hear, “No you won’t. You won’t transform because if you do you will be hurt or killed. It is not to your advantage to do that.” Tears leak from my eyes, “…Mother” She cuts me off, “I am not your mother. You are not my daughter. You are a freak.”
         I sink down as far as my leash will let me. I cover my face in my hands and cry. Mothers worn their children not to get to close. They laugh and get as close as they can. Some grab long slender sticks and poke me. Women pass and shake their heads. They talk with my Mother and Father and try to console them. Men check to make sure I can’t escape. Soon all the adults disappear and get ready for the arrival of one of The Nobles. I am left to be entertained by the children and with all my might I wish I had killed someone to get this power. At least then there would be a reason for them to do this to me.  



© 2012 Sarah W. French


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Your a very terrific story writer, I can picture his sadness, genius.

Posted 11 Years Ago


I really like it. the fact that everyone is betraying her just because she has magic is horrible. I can't wait for the next chapter. Great job. Keep writing!!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 2, 2012
Last Updated on July 2, 2012


Author

Sarah W. French
Sarah W. French

PA



About
I won't be publishing all my poems on here but I am putting them on my tumblr. Please check them out. I'm a 16 year old girl who mostly writes poems. I have been verbally bullied and use poetry t.. more..

Writing