Intro

Intro

A Chapter by Sarah W. French

Magic is hard to come by in this world. There are those who are born with it and others who kill to get it. I am different. I wasn’t born with magic and I certainly would never kill anyone for it. I grew into my magic or maybe it knew I needed a friend.
         I was home in my family’s hovel or more specifically my corner of it. I have been picked on all my life and once again I was wishing I could shrink up and hide. Suddenly I grew a tail, fluffy ears, and fur. I shrunk down to the size of the flowers outside. I had turned into a mouse. It…was…lovely. I played on the few dolls I owned. I made a tent out of my hat. And when my Mom called me down for supper I found I could change back quite easily.
         I was eight when I first learned that I am a Shifter. I’m now fifteen and in the words of my mother, “You’re an old maid,
Kira. You need to get your mind out of the clouds and learn to talk with people your own age.” I know that my magic is a gift that should be kept secret. I know that if anyone finds out that the magic just came to me one day, I will be locked up. I was never part of a group. My family is one of mockery in our village and I was friendless from the start.
         I have heard stories explaining why we are a laughingstock. Tales of each generation running from war, others of our fall to poverty, another tells of a murder my grandfather committed before he went crazy from losing his son. Because of these stories my family is always watched and so I must always watch my back. My Shifting ability has been kept a secret even from my family and I plan to keep it that way.



© 2012 Sarah W. French


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is awesome. I can't wait to read the rest of what you have written. It has a great plot so far and as Dark Poetry said, I love the way you isolated her from the majority of people and stated how people think she is weird or a little strange. Also, the fact that she has a secret that no one can know about makes the story all the more exciting. Keep it up! :)

Posted 11 Years Ago


I love when you made her a lonely girl, because some great men and women are lonely and was called weird from the start.

Posted 11 Years Ago


this is a great start to a book and i love the beginning. quick question though is this character a shifter or a changeling. just because if she is a changeling then she has an origin and a faerie family waiting to take her back now that her powers are showing themselves. sorry for being nosy :P. great write keep it up.

Posted 11 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 26, 2012
Last Updated on June 26, 2012


Author

Sarah W. French
Sarah W. French

PA



About
I won't be publishing all my poems on here but I am putting them on my tumblr. Please check them out. I'm a 16 year old girl who mostly writes poems. I have been verbally bullied and use poetry t.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..