You make me feel nervous

You make me feel nervous

A Chapter by D.T. Tucker
"

By some conspiracy of events, Milliardo meets the Angel once again. Except, he's not there to see her...

"
I don't believe in things like 'fate' or 'destiny.' Such things only restrict the small amount of freedom we are free to think we have. For example, the choice to pick who your child will eventually marry in the future. I do, however, believe that there are some things that simply happen that we don't expect. Chance, probability, maybe these things have some kind of relation to it, but that's only after  the fact. What is really interesting is why it happens to begin with. 
Today, on a completely business related trip, I arrived at the residence of a certain Angel who, for some infuriating reason was dressed as a pirate. 
"Milliardo...you found me!" she said sounding and looking surprised. "This is kind of embarrassing though." She covered her mouth bashfully with a finger and looked down to the side, "H-how shall I explain this ummm..."
Right, this girl's weird. The last time we met she was going on about how we were grown ups now and what not, but she really does give off a childish vibe. It's probably best that I get this over with as soon as possible.
"Uh, you don't have to explain anything. Some people like to collect hair, your thing is...pirates, it's fine! I'm just here to get your signature so I can go. Oh wait a minute..." I checked the name on the package I was about to hand off to her. The name of the person I was supposed to be delivering to was not Angel Rimini, of course, I would have given this task to someone else had I had known that. "Actually, this is for a Jennifer Collins. Know any normal people?"
The Angel's eyes drifted up to the side and she went from an 'embarrassed' to 'puzzled' expression. "Come to think of it...I have a roommate by that name. What a coincidence, huh?"
"Yeah...whatever, is she here?" Please say yes. Hmm...strange though, I feel like I've heard that name recently though I can't really say for sure. 
"Well, she stepped out to the store for a moment. She'll be coming back in a short while so you can wait. She's probably on her way back right now! Want to come inside and wait?"
"Thanks," I said waving my hands to decline, "but no, I...don't want to. You can sign for her, though. How about it?" 
"I don't know~" whined Angel in a grating-to-my-ears tone. "She didn't tell me anything about that though so I don't want to go interfering with her things. You know, the whole separation of powers thing?"
...What is she talking about? No, I can't get swept into her pace, but...what the hell is she saying? I don't follow her train of thought. It's like a roller coaster! 
"Can't you just sign it so I can go and get paid? Do you want me to go broke Angel? Are you going to recompense me for my financial losses? Can you please take responsibility?"
"Don't worry, Milliardo," smiled Angel, "you can sleep with me if you lose your bed. As a matter of fact, why don't you consider it anyway?"
"I...you know what...I'll seriously consider that if you sign for this package for me."
"Really?!"
"Please don't yell...yes, really. I will do it, consider it, for you if you sign this for me. After all, I'd feel much more comfortable not having to be dependant on someone else."
"Oh! But you can rely on me, Milliardo! We can get married so that our finances are tied together and then we can share everything! Our dreams, our problems, our desires! I've always wanted to eat an entire batch of butter cookies! How about you?"
...It seems I'm not going to be getting out of this without entertaining her! Didn't she say her partner was coming back soon? I can't believe I'm actually relying on a total stranger to come save me! What is going on?
Just as it seemed as though we were about to get to know each other real well, I was saved by yet another intervention of the thing we all call "fate." Her roommate returned. It was a short girl with short blonde hair and striking green eyes. She was wearing those things called 'short' shorts and a striped shirt. Something about her...seemed familiar.
"Ah!" she pointed to me and her approach became much faster. "You're that guy from before, right? The guy who I gave the pizza too..or tried to! I can't believe you found me!"
"...Well at least in your case I was actually looking for you...Pizza girl." And, actually, I'm the one who gave it back.
"Jennifer, you know him?'
"Angel, you too?"
"Waha, this must be like fate or something!"
"I know, right? What are the odds?"
It seemed as the two girls had found an interesting topic to discuss...but I am still on the clock. I also don't care for girl talk. It's everything I can do to not slam my palm into my face. God, I wanna go home!
"Ladies!" I nearly shout, intruding into their conversation. I hate raising my voice, it's really such a pain, but...it got their attention. "Er, specifically, you, Jennifer. I have this package so could you hurry up and sign it so I can go?"
"Such a tone! You come all this way and it's not to see me...but I guess it can't be helped. We'll just have to reschedule this conversation then." She takes the clipboard from my hand and heads inside her apartment. "I'll need to get a pen, so hold your horses for another minute."
After she had gone, "...A minute can be a very long time." I turned my attention back to the Angel who was quite rudely staring at me. I crossed my arms over my chest and leaned against the wall across from their door. 
"So...you ordered pizza?" she finally asked. She had a sudden "aware" look in her eye. Her tone of voice had changed to and had become more...sullen.
"Uh, no, as a matter of fact I didn't." I was pressured to answer this question. That is, I felt a strange pressure coming from the Angel pirate. "I don't really like cheese..."
"Hmm..."
"Wh-what? Don't look at me! You make me feel nervous..."
"Hmmm....."
The stare persisted and dragged this supposedly quick minute into a very long drawn out one. I couldn't even look her in the eye anymore. What's with this girl?! Although she was strange back in school..she's even stranger as an adult. What do typical guys do in this kind of situation? They'd probably take this opportunity to strike up a flirt laced conversation, right? 
...like I could really do that kind of shameless thing.
"Hey Milli-"
"Well, here you go, sorry to keep you waiting!" Finally, Jennifer returned and handed me back my clip board with her signature. "Really, though, we should all go out sometime for some drinks, huh?"
"Hmm, I don't drink." 
"Sheesh, what do you do then? How about seafood? I know a good restaurant like that."
"Nah, I can't stand the smell of that stuff. Well, not shrimps, crabs or lobsters anyway. Anyway, I've got to go." I turned and quickly began hurrying away. 
"Ah~" I could here Jennifer's sigh as I walked away. "Well, Angel, them's the breaks."
Angel, who was interrupted did not try to interject in any way. Although I was expecting her to jump in the conversation with some sort of wacky comment, she actually remained peacefully quiet. It was the look one would give when their friend was suddenly chatting up someone they had never spoken too and you're wondering what exactly you're doing there. 
And me, well, if I have any redeeming features at all, it's that I'm way too conscious of other people. I have an uncommon degree in what the world calls common sense. Since I'm always on the outside looking in, my prospective on things is almost always objectionable. The 'me' from before would quietly accept things the way they were, but another thing I've learned is that people don't change, their priorities do and that's not always the easiest thing to do. After all, it's a lot harder to live up what you preach than defend it, right? 
Taking a deep breath, I gather up whatever courage I could in my chest. "Well, I don't drink or anything like that, but...if you guys are free this coming Saturday, then sure, why not?"
"Hmm...Saturday, huh? Well, I have work that day...so I don't think I can go with you then..."
"Oh..." I pretended to sound disappointed, but I wasn't really hoping either way. 
"Them's the breaks, I guess." I wonder if that's her catch phrase or something?
I turned my attention to the Angel standing off on the side. "How about you? Are you busy that day as well?" 
In my head I was, please say yes, but the Angel Pirate thoughtfully held her chin and gazed at the floor, "Well, I was planning on taking  Mars that day, but I can make another trip in the future." 
"Well, I don't really want to interrupt whatever plans you have of galactic conquest..." It amazes me how she can say such things with such a straight face like that sometimes.
Pizza suddenly raised her hand. "Hey...I have an idea...why don't you two do it...together?"
"..." I could feel my face scrunching up in disgust at the way she said that. I am already regretting even bringing the subject up and not even three minutes have passed! 
Angel's eyes widened in surprise and she turned to Pizza. "That's a great idea! You're a genius, Pizza!"
"Ah, so you're calling me that now too, huh?"
"It's kind of your new nickname, huh?"
"If that so, then we should call you Delivery huh?"
"...Delivery?" Angel tilted her head then shook her head, "No, how about Mailman?"
"I'm not a mailman." I reminded her. Ah, I'm getting swept up in their pace again aren't I? And while I'm on that...I wonder why Pizza hasn't mentioned anything about the pirate costume. Is it a daily thing? Another eccentricity of the Angel?"
"In that case," said Pizza, "How about...Package?"
"No, that sounds...strange."
"Ooh! Then Parcel! That's a cool sounding name?"
"...Well, it's a cool-er sounding name, but no."
"Box Boy? Carrier? Delivery?" One after another, Angel gives off "nicknames" which sound like my job description. They all lack the obviousness as something like "Pizza" or "The Angel" though. She's trying too hard. 
"...Uh, do you read the dictionary a lot?"
"I'm a literature major so...but yes, I do. Ah, but that's a thesaurus you're meaning to say."
"...Looks like I learned something new."
"Ah, really? I find it strange that Milliardo of all people wouldn't know something like that."
"Uh, I think he was just being sarcastic..."
"Sarcastic?! Hmmm...how about we call you sardonic?"
...The nicknames are getting farther and farther away from the point isn't it? Wait, why am I suddenly easily talking to a duo of girls while on the clock? I guess it can't be helped can it? It's been a long time since I've actually spoken to girls in such a friendly way like this. It still makes me feel uncomfortable being around them, though. 
"My name is Milliardo and...sure, why not? Saturday at noon, I'll come here to pick you up, alright? Don't worry, it's my job to remember locations and stuff so I definitely won't forget this place." After saying that, I left their building. I still don't believe in things like fate or destiny. I will never agree that such things exist. Besides, when something bad happens isn't it great to point your frustration at someone who did something bad than something completely immune to your feelings? Humans are quite interesting, even I have to admit that sometimes. 
These days...it seems as though this city is gradually getting smaller and smaller.


© 2013 D.T. Tucker


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

282 Views
Added on March 6, 2013
Last Updated on July 21, 2013
Tags: Romance, Fiction, Slice of Life


Author

D.T. Tucker
D.T. Tucker

Bronx, New York, NY



About
I am a rather laid back guy and prefer to take things slow and easy. My main motivation for writng is just that it is the thing I have the most fun doing. I've been writing seriously for about two yea.. more..

Writing