Birds in a cage ( A Rubai'y)

Birds in a cage ( A Rubai'y)

A Poem by Shabeeh Haider
"

A Rubai'y (plural: Rubaiyat) is a popular form of poetry in Arabic, Persian and Urdu languages. It consists of four lines with the first, second and fourth line having to rhyme

"

        There are birds in a cage that refuse to fly,

        The martyr can flee but he chooses to die.

    These are choices of love, you will not know why,  

       Raindrops soak into earth and forsake the sky.                          

                             

© 2016 Shabeeh Haider


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Excellent rhyming in a format that has always been of appeal to me. I think of the works of Omar Khayyam when I read your words. To love, or not to love, to live, or not to live......soak the earth with what could have been. Alas, like birds in a cage that can be free but remain bound.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

I am honoured that the rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam comes to your mind. I have a huge collection of ruba.. read more



Reviews

"Birds in a cage (A Rubai'y)
Shabeeh Haider,
First of all the color of this poem gave it a real edge as well as its format. A lovely new style Iv'e not had the pleasure to experience before.
Seekers of pure life, spin meaning. This poem gave a feeling of ongoing truth sought within love.
"The martyr can flee but he chooses to die." This line is a final statement of the desire for finality and meaning. What is worth living and to die for?
Life is the true testing place.
This poem of yours was an opportunity for thought and consideration. Life is so short after all.
blessings,
Kathy

Posted 6 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

6 Years Ago

I am glad you like the style of this poem. Thank you for your kind input.
This is a very lovely poem. You expressed so much in so few words. Great job.

-William Liston

Posted 7 Years Ago


I like the idea in this poem that something refuses something else that's supposed to be a perfect fit. Kind of like when you plan or have an idea of how things are going to go and it ends up the opposite. It seems to go against logic.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

That's exactly how it is. Thank you for the review
Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5
Love can be like that, Shabeeh … seemingly brutal, unfair, unjust, beyond the scope of the unenlightened consciousness that escapes self to the point free-choice is possible (or, even known to exist) while in the binding throes of love.
There is a saying I once read, "You can lock a man in a cell, but his soul can still fly, his spirit soar free."

Let's study the last line (considering smoother flow and stronger poetic voice, without change in count):
"Raindrops soak into earth, forsaking the sky."

Whatever your choice may be, My Friend, from my enjoyment of Khayyam's "Rubaiyat" (in English, of course) the Rubai'y's intrinsic beauty, too, holds a special place in my poet's heart.

Many blessings of thanks to you, Shabeeh, for sharing your excellent skills! ⁓ Richard

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Thank you Richard for taking the time to review my effort. Love is beyond reason. Thank you for your.. read more
Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

You are so humbly welcome, Shabeeh.
My intent in suggesting that line was to eliminate the fi.. read more
Your message is appealing becuz it's stated like a parable, using well-stated observations mostly from nature, for the reader to relate to in each person's unique way.

From an outsider's viewpoint, maybe the bird appears to REFUSE to fly, or maybe the martyr appears to CHOOSE death, but such an indictment feels a bit harsh & judgmental to me. What's missing from this message is the gentle understanding that there are often forces we outsiders can never know or understand, unavoidable situations that keep people entrapped. So I'm not entirely enjoying the message that being restrained is one's choice. I think most people would be free if they could be, or knew how to be.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Yes, barleygirl. This is a sad fact and has to come into consideration
barleygirl

7 Years Ago

Your poem is beautifully written & I don't want you to take this as a criticism. But I wrote a rebut.. read more
Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

It's perfectly fine. I can understand you
Excellent rhyming in a format that has always been of appeal to me. I think of the works of Omar Khayyam when I read your words. To love, or not to love, to live, or not to live......soak the earth with what could have been. Alas, like birds in a cage that can be free but remain bound.

Posted 7 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

I am honoured that the rubaiyat of Omar Khayyam comes to your mind. I have a huge collection of ruba.. read more
This very cute.... A big thought in just four lines... :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Riti, thank you
Well done and beautiful. That last line is amazing...that they forsake the sky to water and feed what is planted. Love can be that way.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Well said. Love is all about sacrifice. Thank you for taking the time to read and review.
No, we do not know why when it comes to love....it seems the choices are made even without our consent. Beautifully said.....and the rhyming was great. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Lydi, thank you for your feedback
That is so beautiful and lovely. Very good instances have been highlighted here to adorn your work. Love can make one do many things. You have the easy way before you, but you choose the gruelling one- the difficult one. Well-written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Shabeeh Haider

7 Years Ago

Vatsal, thank you for your kind words

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

401 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 1, 2016
Last Updated on May 12, 2016
Tags: poetry, love, shabeeh

Author

Shabeeh Haider
Shabeeh Haider

Makkah



About
Writing poetry is my passion. I have been writing since I was 10 years of age. I love the poets of the Romantic Era and am very particular about rhyme, meter and balance. I have also written many Gha.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Father Father

A Poem by Ted Kniffen