The Huntress

The Huntress

A Chapter by Obscured by the Shadows

A large silver stag stood in the middle of a vast forest of golden weeping willows, it’s large antlers brushing against the drooping leaves. It bent down to nibble at the vibrant grass beneath it’s hooves, unaware of the eyes that followed it’s every move. The huntress, anxious to catch her prey, took a step forward and in doing so, broke a branch. With a quiet curse, the huntress eyed the stag warily, though who an Everlasting would curse to, no one knows. The stag’s head shot up and it’s ears swiveled as it tried to locate the source of the noise. It’s eyes landed on the huntress and then it was gone, racing through the trees.

The chase was on.

Adrenaline coursed through the huntress’s veins as she sped after the stag. The forest is her domain, so it is easy enough for her to find it. Unfortunately for the stag, instead of hiding, it stopped in the middle of a small clearing, it’s ears swiveling once again. Had it lost the predator? A small golden arrow shot out from the brush and sunk into the stag’s heart, and it cried out in pain as it died, it’s silvery blood staining the ground around it.

A grim smile laced the huntress’s lips as she went to retrieve her arrow and her prize. With little difficulty, she removed the arrow from it’s target and lifted the enormous stag onto her shoulders with a small grunt. Her inhuman strength is just one of the few abilities given to her as an Everlasting.

Being a predator, didn’t always mean you were safe. A small thump put all of the huntress’s senses on high alert. Without a second thought, she dropped her stag, armed her bow, and fell into a defensive stance, waiting for her aggressor to appear. She wasn’t disappointed. A tall, lanky man stalked out of the forest and locked eyes with the huntress. “Teshka,” his voice was dark and low, full of anger and evil promises. “Why are you so far from home?”

Teshka looked up at her son, refusing to show any signs of weakness, “You know very well why, Kol.” Her anger showed itself through her voice. “You’re a filthy murderer, killing innocents and inflicting pain on those who do not deserve it.”

A frightening chuckle escaped Kol’s lips, “Says the one who just killed a mortal animal when you know it had no possible way of fighting back.” Teshka hesitated, and Kol knew he had her. “You see, though you are the one who brought me into existence, I was always the stronger one, the better one.” As he spoke, he slowly raised his hand to his side, a large axe forming in it.

Knowing better than to be oblivious to her enemies, Teshka dropped to all fours and, within seconds, turned into an enormous golden wolf. “Kol, back down or I will be forced to act,” her voice, though strong, held a small trace of fear.

A disturbing smile split Kol’s face and he lowered his blade in a sign of surrender. Teshka, being the trusting mother she was, let down her guard for a brief moment. That was all Kol needed. He pounced on her, digging his blade deep into her spine. A woeful howl ripped it’s way out of Teshka’s lungs as she died. Though, being and Everlasting, she wouldn’t die for good unless the creator or his two sons killed her. Unfortunately, that didn’t save her from the pain she felt. “Farewell mother, I look forward to killing you again.”



© 2016 Obscured by the Shadows


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I'm loving the story progression and the way the characters react with each other. It all reacts very well, and it's building a good story as it goes on.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

98 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 20, 2016
Last Updated on June 6, 2016


Author

Obscured by the Shadows
Obscured by the Shadows

Flagstaff, AZ



About
Hello all. I have been absent from this glorious site for some time now. However, I have decided to try to be a lot more active, post new stuff, reading other people's writing, and entering contests! .. more..

Writing