The End

The End

A Chapter by Obscured by the Shadows
"

The world is a dark and unforgiving place, not fit for the likes of such an innocent child, but none-the-less, Vervain had come down to this world with a purpose: to save it.

"
Morrow walked through the desolate wasteland that had once been home to him and thousands of others, all gone now. Everything was grey and bleak, destroyed in the battle that had been wrought here. Many were killed and those that survived were either dying or had run off. No one had expected it to go this far; the fight was supposed to have been clean and simple, not the monstrosity that had occurred. 

Though sadness was now a constant companion for Morrow, he couldn't even imagine what their savior felt. She was supposed to be the one that rescued them, the one who prevented the madness from taking over, but she failed. He stalked through the ash covered ground towards the only living thing in the field: Vervain. Daughter of Krishael, she had came down to Tenrashe, her homeland, to save her people. Having been born half god and half human, she felt a connection with them and had come to destroy the monster that kept them captive. Her task was daunting, but one she thought she could handle with ease. That obviously wasn't the case.

When he reached her at last, he laid a hand on her head, stroking her red hair. "At least you tried," he whispered softly, trying to bring her some solace.

"Tried, at least I tried?" she hissed, "I killed them all." Vervain lifted herself off the ground, her once glistening silver armor now covered in ash and blood, "I should have stayed far away from this place." Her green eyes were morose and full of anger, "I do not belong here." She dropped her large hammer to the ground, its gilded metal making a loud thump as it hit the ground before dissipating. 

At a loss for words, Morrow simply followed her as she walked away, a shell of her old self. Her aura once pulsated with energy, enough to blind someone if she got too excited, her happiness had been as contagious as a disease and her power was magnificent. All that remained now was a broken girl in a broken world. 

Vervain sulked through the ash, glancing around at the death and destruction that she had ensued on the people she had sought to help. It made her feel even worse. Her shoulders sagged and her hair fell to cover her face, hiding the tears the slid down her cheeks. Morrow caught her hand and pulled her into an embrace, clutching her hard so that she knew she was still cared for. He knew she had never known his love for her, but he tried to express it now. 

During their embrace, his chest began to heat up to an incredible temperature and he looked down just in time to watch her disappear in a flash of bright green light. He quickly glanced up at the sky and watched as she blinked out of existence, returning to Lokshanon where she thought she truly belonged. Down here she was nothing but a withered rose in a world of darkness. Morrow turned away and continued to walk through the fields, without Vervain, this world seemed a little darker.



© 2016 Obscured by the Shadows


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love it, and I would love to read more. Great job at describing the scene, I love that. I can place myself there with the description.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Obscured by the Shadows

8 Years Ago

Excellent, I am glad my imagery could do that for you.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

165 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 20, 2016
Last Updated on March 7, 2016


Author

Obscured by the Shadows
Obscured by the Shadows

Flagstaff, AZ



About
Hello all. I have been absent from this glorious site for some time now. However, I have decided to try to be a lot more active, post new stuff, reading other people's writing, and entering contests! .. more..

Writing