Part 3: The Loner

Part 3: The Loner

A Chapter by Shadowkai
"

Loneliness can be one of the most dangerous feeling in a survival situation. Some prefer and embrace it but many lose their sanity dealing with the idea of never seeing another friendly face again.

"

“All alone… I stand on my own…” Cameron says silently to himself as he sneaks behind a walker. Taking his trusty dagger, he drives it deep into its skull. He pulls it out wiping onto his pants.

 “That makes four hundred and twenty-two poor souls I have put to rest.” He sheathes the dagger, rising from the ground. Cameron had been traveling to every nearby town putting down every soulless corpse he had found.

“That does it for this town now onto the next,” Cameron says to himself.

He grabbed his things which were not much. He had a small satchel with a few of the necessities in it; an extra blade, clean water, a few snacks, a lighter, and plenty of fluid. He never went anywhere without it.

Cameron traveled quite a distance when the night began to fall. He stopped alongside the outside of an abandoned garage. He could see a fire coming from inside and following his instincts he stayed outside. He continued to have hostile and negative thoughts about the survivors camping inside the only safe house for miles.  

Cameron did not trust anyone which is why he traveled on his own. Even years after high school, he was continually bullied by random people. It didn’t matter whether they were online or in the real world.

He began contemplating scaring them away, but before he could take action he could hear a soft voice saying, "Just dream… Just sleep, forget those monsters outside, I will always be here to protect you…" He stopped and picked in.

A young teenager and his younger sister had made camp and he was reassuring her of her safety. Cameron couldn’t believe his eyes, how could such a young duo have lasted so long out here. He could see several undead walkers and nightmares roaming the surrounding area.  He waited until after they were fast asleep and then he went to work. He first picked off the undead making sure to decapitate and burn the remains. Doing so was believed to fully allow the soul to move on. Before he could take down the nightmares he noticed the sun beginning to rise.

"No… it's too soon!" he shouted in dismay.                              

He made a bunch of noises to attract the nightmares and draw them away before they had awoken. Running toward the next city he finally climbed into a tree and burned away the nightmares beneath him using the fluid and his lighter.

When all was said and done he sat for a while questioning what he had just done. He didn’t know, for some reason that young teenager reminded him of himself. He began to lay back in his hiding place and ended up dozing off for a little while. He had awoken to see the young duo again this time the little sister was on his back wearing a blindfold.

What a peculiar thing to do, he could only guess it was an attempt to try and hide her from the horrors of this new reality. This young boy had grown up so fast, he wasn’t even a boy anymore he was her guardian, the protector, and he was doing a great job at it.

Cameron sat in the tree until he was sure they were gone and then he began to make his way towards the city.

"I will cleanse this city and rid this world of these monstrosities, one soul, at a time if that is what it takes!" He yelled into the sky as he set his gaze upon his new hunting grounds, but he had to be careful, those kids were still out there. He walked on arguing with himself over what he would do if he saw them again.



© 2015 Shadowkai


Author's Note

Shadowkai
How would you feel if your life had been a living hell and then suddenly the world around you feel to pieces and you were all alone. All those you wanted to disappear were gone, how would you feel?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Very good, this was just what i meant with my comment on the previous chapter, about writing from the perspective multiple persons. Great how the stories intertwine, and how he turned out to be the one who had killed all those undead outside the garage. Interesting character as well. He's not just fighting to survive, he is trying to "save" the undead by putting them to rest.

To answer your question in the Author's Note: I think i would first be relieved when everyone was gone. No more bullying and things like that. But i think i would soon become lonely and want to reconnect with some persons, even if that risked being bullied again. But that is what a "real" person would do, and that might not always make for a great character.

There were some small typos and grammatical mistakes:

"He continued to having hostile and negative thoughts ..."
Either remove the "to", or change "having" to "have".

"... dozing off for a little while he had awoken to see ..."
I think you should split this into two sentences, right after "while".

"... he was he guardian and he was doing a great job at it."
Second "he" looks like it should be "the".


This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

340 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on October 19, 2015
Last Updated on October 20, 2015
Tags: Survival, Loneliness, Undead


Author

Shadowkai
Shadowkai

Rochester, NY



About
I am a 16 year old writer, i will be posting one to two poems each day. On every Monday i will post additions to "The End of Humanity" and every Wednesday i will add to "Bane of The Darkness". Fridays.. more..

Writing
All Alone All Alone

A Poem by Shadowkai