Part 1: Protector

Part 1: Protector

A Chapter by Shadowkai
"

A brother and sister travel through the country in search of a rumored safe zone. Can they survive a world full of the undead and hideous nightmares?

"

“Just sleep… Just dream… forget about the monsters outside, I will always be here to protect you” he smiles as he tucks in his little sister. Nathan and his little sister Sarah are few of the survivors left since the outbreak.

Sarah smiles as she lays her head down as the glowing fire kept them warm through the chilly night. They were set up in an abandon garage where part of the roof had rotted and collapsed. Nathan laid beside her looking up at the stars.

“Just dream…” she repeated as she dozed off. Nathan had been unable to sleep since the last attack he had seen.

The undead had torn a living man to shreds in seconds, it was impossible…he would have once said that but since the outbreak he learned that nothing was impossible in this world. He did his best to shield Sarah from the horrors of reality, but it wasn’t easy when they were around every corner. He wrapped his arms around her holding her tight.

“I will never let anything hurt her, I’ll kill anyone who dares to harm a hair on her head,” he thought to himself.

There wasn’t much one could do to protect themselves, not with the nightmares roaming the streets to. Nightmares were the mutilated corpses that reanimated but further than the rest of the undead. Some could smell the living or sense their heat, others could jump onto roof or run faster than anyone left alive. With this new threat it caused what was left of humanity to learn a new way of survival, new techniques of hiding themselves and their heat and scent. Those left alive, the few but the strong were the only ones who mastered those skills.

Nathan shifted as he heard a moan outside their safe haven, though it was just a walker it didn’t stop him from dowsing the flames and wrapping him and Sarah in a heat concealing fabric. Where there were walkers there was bound to be nightmares soon and Nathan wasn’t taking any chances.

He whispered to himself, “We will soon be free of this nightmare I know it… we just have to make it a little longer, please let what we’ve heard be true… Can there really be a safe zone?” He sighed and dozed off holding Sarah close.

When he had woken up the sun was rising and it was quiet, too quiet… something was wrong. He got up letting Sarah sleep in as he climbed up to the roof to survey their surroundings, what he saw made his jaw drop. All around the garage the undead where decapitated and burned to a crisp.

                “W-What could have done this?” he said shocked as he started to back up he fell into the garage landing on his back. As he moaned, Sarah woke up yawning.

                “Morning brother…” She said through her yawn. She rubbed her eyes as she sat up and moved up to him.

                “Morning sis… grab your stuff we gotta get going, we’re burning daylight.” He joked with her as he got up and packed up their supplies. He picked up their bags and opened the garage door.

                “Brother, what happened to them?” she said as she yawned again.

                “It was our guardian angel, he is keeping an eye on us…  he told me we will stay safe if we move now so come on lets go.” He reached out his hand as she grabbed hold and they walked on heading towards the nearby city. 



© 2015 Shadowkai


Author's Note

Shadowkai
I know it is short but i plan to write a lot more for part: two. I have big ideas in store for this one.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Ana
As soon as you said the word 'undead' I thought of The Walking Dead. Wait, wait, is this based off Walking Dead? That show is so scary. Thank GOD someone's looking out for them too, and I like the bond with the brother and sister. Are the undead people called walkers, or when you say walkers do you mean just a person walking outside?

Posted 8 Years Ago


Shadowkai

8 Years Ago

No this is not based off the walking dead lol, and walkers are just normal undead, they are dangerou.. read more
I liked the chapter. You create family, concern and dangerous world. I like the tone of the story. Accepting the life and trying to go forward. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Shadowkai

8 Years Ago

That's what i was going for :)
Coyote Poetry

8 Years Ago

You did. I liked how he protected his sister by blinding her from the death.
Shadowkai

8 Years Ago

I put myself in his shoes and i asked myself what would i do? I then transposed my own action intto .. read more
While the idea of a zombie apocalypse is not one of the most original, this sure is an interesting angle. A brother and sister, trying to survive... I think this has the potential to become a great story.

You might want to bundle these parts into a book, so it will be easier for your readers to find the next part.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

385 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 16, 2015
Last Updated on October 17, 2015
Tags: Undead, Nightmares, Survival


Author

Shadowkai
Shadowkai

Rochester, NY



About
I am a 16 year old writer, i will be posting one to two poems each day. On every Monday i will post additions to "The End of Humanity" and every Wednesday i will add to "Bane of The Darkness". Fridays.. more..

Writing
All Alone All Alone

A Poem by Shadowkai



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


All Alone All Alone

A Poem by Shadowkai