Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Shane Williams

Chapter 7

 On the outskirts of London in a house not far from       , Eva is sitting in the living room very bored, text books scattered on the floor. She had no university today, even so she still had to study. She misses living in London, her friends, social life it’s what helped her alot. Now she lives with her Grandmother, it was alright she cooked the most amazing food and would tell stories of her younger years. It did make her smile; she just wished her friends were here.  “Eva would you like some tea?”, her grandmother asks from the kitchen. “No thank you I’m alright”, Eva replies turning to the kitchen. Eva hears her going up the stairs, the floorboards creaking under the tension.
  Bored of studying Eva puts her study book down on the floor, sighing she leans back into the sofa thinking to herself. Her eyes then notice the television remote, placed on the armrest. She picks it up and turns on the television, leaning back on the sofa, and puts on Sky News. A news reporter looking grimly speaking,  “...confirmed reports of attacks in London. People are evacuating after the many attacks that have happened through the day. Unconfirmed how many people have died after this tragedy but the estimation is over three million”. “Eva whar’s going on is it getting late already?”, her grandmother shouts down the stairs, “it’s getting dark already”. The television screen suddenly changes, showing video footage above London. Dark clouds are seen moving around the buildings of London with a life of their own. The sound of gunshots and sirens can be heard in the distance as the screen suddenly changes again focusing on the reporter. “ Eva’s eyes widen, in shock. “On this darkest day who will stand up against this chaos? Many

 

people are questioning if Matius, more known as the ‘Dark Avenger” was here could he stop this? We will not know” The news reporter is suddenly interrupted as he stops talking.

 “We have just received footage of the situation on the motorways”, the reporter explains. The screen suddenly changes showing a view above the motorways, many traffic jams are shown. Eva is about to get off the floor before the screen changes again, showing a different news reporter. “There are queues growing on the M1, M11 and heavy traffic on the M4 southbound. People are texting in that these dark clouds must be avoided at all costs. I repeat avoid at all costs. Several people are messaging in that Leatherhead, Barnet, towns near to London have been attacked and are now closed off.  Eva’s eyes are on the television, listening intently, “It is highly recommended that people living within ten miles of London need to evacuate their homes. No where is safe…”.
   The scene changes with a presenter standing outside a motorway, the wind blowing his tie. “that’s correct Meryl the M1 has been closed off from junctions        to       .Over an hour ago cars were travelling through here. Now it’s been closed off. The only thing left here are stranded cars left behind on the road. The cameraman swerves the camera showing the stranded cars, focusing back onto the reporter. “There is no news when the motorway will be open again”, he reports. Just as he says this, someone with the camera crew is pointing frantically outside on the screen. The presenter and cameraman turn their attention to a bridge up ahead; dark black clouds begin to descend upon it. “Are you getting this?” The presenter asks, going in front of the camera, watching the dense clouds before moving out of the way. They all watch the clouds in awe before watching in horror as the clouds starts to blacken the bridge under its presence. The screen suddenly shakes in panic as the bridge collapses, the clouds of darkness glide over the abandoned cars blackening them. All that’s left is the screaming, then silence.

 Eva looks in shock before quickly rising up from the sofa, moving towards the stairs. “Nan get your things, we’re leaving!”, Eva shouts up the stairs. “Eva is everything alright?”, he nan questions concerned. “No…We need to leave…Now!!”, Eva shouts out already thinking about getting the keys in the kitchen. She quickly makes her way inside the kitchen eying the draw. Suddenly the windows break as dense black smoke pours into the kitchen, destroying anything it touches. In panic she quickly backs away heading upstairs, black dense smoke pours through covering the ground floor blackening it.
   Eva looks behind her in panic seeing the stairs turning black, eroding away. She reaches the bedroom floor, running down the corridor. The walls turn black, the wallpaper falling away in pieces. Reaching her nan’s bedroom she bursts inside seeing her nan going through her draw. “Nan!”, Eva screams gripping her nan. “Wwwhat’s going on?”, her grandmother asks very confused. Just as she asks this Eva quickly looks to the ceiling, noticing it’s also turning black. Then under stress the roof gives way, turning into ash the wind violently blowing it away. Both Eva and her grandmother look in shock outside as the clouds of smoke gives form shifting. The smoke suddenly starts to solidify, changing shape. They both look in fear watching. Dervish then reforms before them, watching Eva devilishly with slit eyes.

It seems like hours Matius has been walking, he tells himself. He’s walked through, fields, roads and mud on his journey. He’s been through strong winds, torrential downpours anything that might slow him down. Deep down he is afraid, afraid of Dervish’s power but he can't give up hope. Now it is morning, many miles away from London, the sun reveals itself to the world once more yellow light hits the rocky landscape.
   The sunlight catches his pale grey skin, his green tattered cape flaps uncontrollably behind him, the wind blowing uncontrollably behind, dust blows around his feet. At that moment streaks appear in the sky behind him, he squints towards the sun. Crows pass by him, cawing as they disappear away from London, confusing Matius.

He thinks to himself he then focuses on Matius’s location before disappearing again. Suddenly Lemionas appears by Matius in excitement, “Matius…you’re back!!  But how?”, he exclaims,  “you died”. Matius turns to look at Lemionas. “I don’t know…I think something helped me back there”, he explains. “Back where?”, Lemionas asks confused. “I was in purgatory, with Dervish”, Matius explains, “he managed to escape entering someone’s soul”. Lemionas looks in shock. “I’ve heard rumours about purgatory, no wonder he came back, on earth of all places. I’ve already been to the council and we will be getting support, hell will also be helping us”. Matius turns in surprise, “really? You’ve been busy”.

Silence falls except the wind. “So I guess this is it," utters”, Lemionas utters expecting an answer. “No, no it isn't," Matius answers, turning towards the Lemionas, "He’s killed too many people this time.  He needs to be stopped, one way or another" Lemionas falls silent, hurt by Matius’s words he looks down. Matius could beat him he thinks, He's done it before  what's to stop him doing it again?". Matius looks ahead feeling afraid, "I knew he was a serious threat when I first laid eyes on him, but… I never imagined he would do this", Matius utters. He turns towards Lemionas, "So when should our help be coming?", Matius questions in concern.
   Before Lemionas can reply they hear the wind change in speed, they both look into the sky, the clouds blocking their view, then they see them. Two winged angels fly gracefully in the air effortlessly, their white holy amour and soft feathers shine brightly. The amour of heavens warriors. As they approach Lemionas and Matius, they land on their feet crouched. Matius looks at the two angels before him then turns back at Lemionas, unimpressed by their weak appearance. "So these are the support from heaven?", Matius asks frowning. Lemionas pauses, looking for words, “Yes. I’ve been informed that they have done special training... however they have yet to experience a real battle”. Matius smiles sarcastically, looking at the two angels then back at Lemionas, looking at him like a joke and shouts. "Are you kidding me? Is this it?! Dervish is a threat and all that heaven can bring are two angels?" he shouts sarcastically, trying to get himself heard, from the planes "Is this all that Heaven and Hell can bring? Are they that afraid?" Lemionas looks hurt before trying to protest, “The council didn’t have many to choose from, most of the best angels were off in missions elsewhere. Just be glad they sent troops!” Matius spins around at Lemionas, “Be glad?! That man...that thing is a monster; you should be sending an army to deal with him!”
  Both angels look deeply hurt, their expressions change. They daren't look at Matius. One of them has the courage to raise his head looking at Matius, "There is support coming from hell", he utters trying not to look at Matius, "only one though”. Matius pauses then starts laughing, "and what will hell offer us? What can they give us on this day?”. Matius shouts unaware someone is walking towards them, "Someone that will whimper in battle, someone that will fail and die!" The footsteps get louder, he pauses "What will Hell offer?"

 "Me..." Says a cold muffled voice. Everyone in reaction turns around looking at this new arrival. Standing behind them is Ivan smiling to himself, clad in dark red and coal black armour. His long black slick hair moves in direction to the wind. On his back is a scabbard holding a long thick sword with coal ash metal. Upon it red stones are crafted into in covering up to the hilt. The blade itself looks completely black when the light catches it. One of the angels turns towards Ivan; his facial expression suddenly changes to excitement. “I know you, you’re Ivan!”. Ivan turns towards the angel his black hair moving in the wind, turning towards the angel. "Yes", Ivan muffles, "I am Ivan. I came here myself to deal with my brother, to help you people of heaven”. Ivan pauses looking at the surroundings, “So this is earth. I was expecting more”. In one swift movement he grabs his long sword with his skeletal arm, doing a figure of eight. It sings in the air before slamming it into the ground, cracking the earth. “Well, we are in what you could call the wildlands Ivan”, Lemionas replies, “The cities are what really define earth”. Ivan looks at Lemionas relating to the surroundings. “hmm… figures”, Ivan replies closing his eye.
   

“Ivan…this is Matius. The one who fought your brother”, Lemionas introduces as Ivan looks in surprise. “By the gods you’re here! It’s such an honour to meet you at last”, Ivan exclaims,  “I’ve heard so much about you amongst my men, they spoke of you greatly and I can see why. I made the right choice not sending men after you on earth”. Matius listens looking back at Ivan, “So you knew about my trial?”. Ivan smiles to himself, “well of course! Everyone was talking about it people believed you killed Sousan. I didn’t however because I knew you wasn’t the one”. “Then why didn’t you try to defend me?”, Matius blasts, “Why? I could have been freed, lived my life in peace! I can’t even live in hell now because of it!” Ivan lowers his head in guilt thinking back. “Dervish would have branded me a traitor for trying to protect you. There was nothing I could do!”. Matius looks down in frustration as Lemionas gets involved. “I didn’t you yourself to show but why?”, Lemionas questions. Ivan chuckles in thought; “I don’t think any of our men would stand against him if I’m honest. I felt like the best option, since I know him as a brother”. One of the angels looks at Ivan puzzled. “You’re brothers? But he’s completely different from you!”, one of the angels states. “Yes we are brothers…It might not seen it, but he wasn’t always like this back then”.

 They all turn their attention to Lemions who is trying to locate where Dervish is. “I’ve found Dervish but…he’s still in London”, Lemionas explains.  “That’s impossible”, Matius questions, “I was there just two days ago. I saw what looked like him heading out of London!” Ivan walks upto Matius placing his hand upon his shoulder, “That was probably his clouds of ash, spreading through the outskirts of the city killing anything left alive”.  Matius grit his teeth in anger, “so what are we still doing here? Let’s go!!”. Ivan pauses looking at the angels, “You angels…what do you know of Dervish, my brother?” . The angels look in combustion approaching Ivan. “We’ve heard that he is a dangerous opponent that should be dealt with extreme caution. His body if made of ash, from those he kills reckless but intelligent”, he replies. “Good seems you know a bit about my brother”, Ivan compliments, “but be warned he’s very dangerous so be on guard. some of us know his true power”, looking to Matius.
   “Alright everyone come to me!”, Lemionas announces, “I’ll take everyone to his location!”. Everyone approaches Lemionas, everyone placing a hand on Lemionas shoulders. Matius glances at the angels who look nervous, their first fight. One they might not survive. Matius then look at Ivan, a look filled with determination ready to end his brother once for all. As they all look in each other’s eyes they see trust, a sign of hope. For the first time Matius feels ready as they head for their destiny and perhaps their end.




© 2013 Shane Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

154 Views
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 31, 2013
Tags: Dark, Good, Evil, Light, Heaven, Hell, Demon, Angel, Power, War, Throne, King, Warrior


Author

Shane Williams
Shane Williams

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Dervish photoshop by ~Shane000 on deviantART I am a Illustrator, Photography, can write poems and I'm currently writting a fantasy/action/adventure story which had been influenced my lord of the ri.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shane Williams