Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Shane Williams

Chapter 3

 

Everyone falls silent in the arena their eyes fixed on Matius, who remains lifeless,. His head very low, parts of his skin have been peeled away by the reckless wind. The reader watches somewhat saddened lowering his head, before comes back to the real world. He gestures to two soldiers near the large metal gates. “Can someone please take his body out”, he utters. Casually soldier’s head towards Matius’s limp body, the crowd watching anxiously, their armour shaking in movement.  The two men near Matius when suddenly Matius’s hands slowly start to find life. “Impossible... he’s alive...” Before he can finish his sentence Matius suddenly bursts into life fighting ferociously against the chains. Both soldiers back away in response, frozen in shock. The reader looks in frustration before blasting at the soldiers, “You fools don’t let him escape!”.  Both men suddenly spring into action trying to a hold of Matius, gripping onto his arms. His wings flapping uncontrollably. One of the chains breaks apart from the strain, collapsing onto the ground. The crowd suddenly burst into life in panic, many people exiting the arena. With his arm free Matius swings at one of the men, knocking him to the ground. Sensing urgency more soldiers run into the area towards Matius. “Hold him down! Hold him!, one of the soldiers demands all of them trying to hold him down. Thrusting his arm high he breaks the other chain. In anger Matius’s wings lash out at the men, knocking them back.

His body free he flaps his wings, lifting him into the air. The soldiers look in awe, unsure what to do. The reader cowers in fear hiding behind the pillar before looking up in anger. “Stop him! Don’t let him get away!”. Before anyone can react Matius lifts himself high into the air. “Ring that alarm, ring that damn alarm!” The reader blasts shouting to the people high in the arena seating.

 

Matius rises into the air leaving the execution area hastily watching below before looking ahead unsure where to go. Down below the reader runs outside heading towards a large tower, many people running in panic. The reader then goes up several steps shoving people out of the way recklessly, “Move out of the way d****t!!” Seeing the bell he recklessly grips the metal hand rail shouting up, “Ring the bell!”. The ringer suddenly springs into action ringing the bell violently, stirring everyone into panic.

 

Elsewhere in a deserted patch of hell several winged demons roosting suddenly raise their heads to the distant ringing twisting their heads quickly before taking to the air, their wings flapping screaming in excitement. Matius passes the royal palace and soldiers look at him from below. Several trying to shoot him down to no avail. the royal throne swerving to the right as some demons stealthy fly behind him, in pursuit. Matius suddenly hears something behind him, slightly turning his head noticing his pursuers. He quickly changes his course heading towards outskirts of the punishment area, away from the attention of the soldiers.

 

In the royal palace Dervish is in the gardens in secret with one of his subordinates. His discussion is suddenly interrupted as Matius fly’s past them in the sky, heading out of hell. Dervish watches Matius fly away clenching his fists in anger. “Hey isn’t that the Matius guy, who was on trial for murdering Sousan. Shouldn’t he be dead?”, the servant questions. “Yes...  most defiantly”, Dervish utters grimly, “how did he survive? Curse him He could ruin everything!” Dervish turns back towards his subordinate, “You! , I need you to make sure that Matius is silenced before he gets captured! Do you understand? Spread the word. No one can know that I framed him”.
  The subordinate bows before running out of the gardens covered in shadow, Dervish turning his attention back to the skies watching Matius. Annoyed Dervish blackens a stone statue, crumbling from his touch. “You’re more trouble that I thought”, Dervish utters, “I’d better disappear into the shadows”. As Dervish says this, his body breaks away into ash as it seeps into the shadows

 

Matius continues flying, going further closer to the outskirts where the lesser demons live and where they become used for hell’s purposes. They are more like training grounds; to tame the demons making them become loyal to their leaders. Even if it meant taking very young demons, it was all for a cause. Up ahead he sees many soldier made walkways, with several soldiers walking casually on guard. Quietly Matius glides down lower, trying to avoid detection as he nears one of the walkways. As he goes down the sound of the air currents suddenly disappear. After enough time Matius then flies upwards back into the light. One of the guards on the walkways is walking when he turns his head noticing Matius, quickly he runs down the walkway past several soldiers before ringing a bell in panic. The ringing awakens many of the demons deep asleep slumbering on the nesting area before flying lazily for Matius.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Wind suddenly starts blowing in the alley, bits of rubbish and junk scatter around. Suddenly in a flash Matius appears in the alley in mid flight as he slams into the alley brick wall, falling into the wet alley floor. He remains silent before slowly rising up agonised, cold water dripping from his body. He then clenches his teeth, hurt from the fall. He looks around his new surroundings. Across the floor bits of litter and old newspaper and pools of water reflecting the midnight sky. Panting he looks towards the sky noticing nothing but blackness and the pin points of the stars shining brightly. Clumsily he makes his way through the alley clutching his leg searchingfor an exit. Hurt he leans against the cold brick wall. Uphead he notices the exit of the alley which looks intriguing, seeing people passing by. He staggers forwards towards the exit before noticing a large green cloth covering the window. With his appearance in mind he yanks the cloth down before putting it over him... With his identity protected he heads out of the alley. Before pausing in admiration.

 

He looks around the street seeing all the lights glowing brightly in the night. He hears something go past him noticing a car drive past him. He turns around seeing the car’s light grow smaller in view. He then quickly moves his head back as a car light blinds him momentarily. Raising his hood he starts to walk down the pavement, keeping his head low voiding all eye contact. One person knocks into him accidentally, sighing he continues walking ahead. Just as he nears a cinema several people walk out of the pub. Several of them pass Matius much to his relief. He suddenly stops as three men come out, one of them being carried, reeking of alcohol. He lowers his head, approaching the men. He manages to walk past. “Hey!”, Matius hears dreading. The three men go back to talk to Matius. The one is very drunk, “Hey mate how you doing? Bit to early for Halloween”. The man laughs to himself his two friends holding him. “Ohh don’t mind him, he’s had too much to drink”, the one says, “Say... are you from around here?”. Matius suddenly pauses in silece. “No...” Matius stutters nervously, somewhat saddened thinking of his time at hell. “You best be careful now, there are some idiots around at this time of night. Oh and keep away from the bars” Matius nods in understanding.  One of the men looks his drunk friend in amusment, “Don’t mind him, he’s had a bit too much to drink tonight... haven’t ya?” The drunk man mutters to himself. “Okay we’d better be off”, both give a nod leaving Matius alone under the cinema.

Back in hell the soldier who planned Matius’s framing walks through the royal gardens nervously at night, his eyes shifting left to right. He then walks past a female statue, heading towards the door leading inside.

“I thought you had everything under control!”

The soldier spins around seeing Dervish behind him gripping his neck, “I thought Matius wouldn’t pose a threat to my plans. Yet even after the trial he lives!” The soldier gasps clenching his throat, “but that’s impossible, no one… should have survived that”. Dervish looks in anger at the soldier, thinking how his plans could be ruined. “Exactly! And thanks to you, my plans could be ruined!”, he blasts. “Please give me another chance! I’ll make things right!”, the soldier protests. “No…”, Dervish others, “I’ve given you enough chances. I’m disappointed in you”. Without hesitation dervish thrusts his arm through the soldier killing him.



© 2013 Shane Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the rebirth of Matius. Create new problems for the people involved in his imprisonment. I like the way he escaped. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

164 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 15, 2013
Tags: Dark, Good, Evil, Light, Heaven, Hell, Demon, Angel, Power, War, Throne, King, Warrior


Author

Shane Williams
Shane Williams

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Dervish photoshop by ~Shane000 on deviantART I am a Illustrator, Photography, can write poems and I'm currently writting a fantasy/action/adventure story which had been influenced my lord of the ri.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shane Williams