Chapter 7

Chapter 7

A Chapter by Shane Williams

Chapter 7

 

Back on earth as anew day begins a cloaked figure walks passing several people, oblivious of their presence. His head lowered, he makes his way passing a tv shop, with Bbc news currently playing. The figure glances towards the television before continuing uninterested. He then walks towards a newspaper stand trying to make out the newspapers, almost in surprise the figure steps back as the shop keeper drops several tied newspapers to the floor. Interested the figure then notices something on the newspaper walking towards it in intent. Casually he picks up a newspaper, moving through the pages till he reaches one, which intrigues him. The shopkeeper walks out notices his fixation turns to the stranger who reads an article, “Hey are you buying it or what?” The cloaked figure turns back to the shop owner, his face features hidden. Calmly he drops the newspaper back in its place, the headlines, “Winged figure sightings in London friend or foe”. The cloaked figure allows himself a smile as the shopkeeper watches him walk away,  “So… Matius, this world shall finally know of your existence. What will you do?” He questions to himself walking away.

Later in the day at Eva’s home, she is getting dressed ready for the big prom night. Excited yet nervous, combing her hair looking into the mirror. She then pauses; flashbacks of the alleys suddenly hit her in images, flinching to the memories. Then that figure shows last, that one man who saved her back then. She can’t stop thinking about it his face; bit was so scared it didn’t even look human. It even had those wings, god those huge wings like leather. She then looks at her own face trying to compare his to her’s. Maybe his face wasn’t like that; maybe he was a victim as she could have been. As she’s thinking this several knock come from her bedroom door, “Eva are you nearly ready, we’re waiting for you”. Eva swings her hear around, “Yes I’m near ready…just hold on”. She looks back towards the mirror before opening one of her draws on her desk unveiling a piece of torn green cloak. A souvenir from that night, looking intently at it before placing it into her prom dress.
  Both mum and dad are waiting outside in anticipation, looking at her in admiration. Her mother walks up to her before hugging her, “Look at you all grown up”, smiling, “You look amazing” Eva gives a little smile closing her eyes, “thanks mum”. Her father smiles, “We’d better get going, we don’t want to be late for your prom night now do we?”. Eva gives a smile before they all leave the house.

(They all get in car and arrive at the building holding the prom night, her parents leave her as she has some drinks)

Dizzy Eva makes her way outside in cool outside air, he hair blowing lighting in the wind. Dazedly she looks out into the city night, the sound of cars going past, music from nightclubs and echoed cheers and laughter from inside.   Behind her Chris nervously walks outside approaching her from behind, shyly.  “Hey…it’s a beautiful night isn’t it?” he comments looking out into the open, his short brown hair blowing slightly. “Yes it’s beautiful”, Eva replies blankly slightly drunk. Disappointed at her reaction he presses the conversation; “You can see all the city life from here. The cars, lights, stars. It’s the perfect setting for the perfect night”. She gives a weak smile before walking away from the balcony much to his surprise. “Hey where are you going?” he shouts out watching her approach the dance floor through the crowd. “I’m off to get some fresh air” she shouts out, not bothering to look back. One of her friends notices, walking towards Chris looking bemused. “What’s got into her?”, she asks looking to where she went. “I have no idea, don’t ask me”, Chris replies looking to the stairs towards fire exit of the roof.

 

 The fire door to the roof bursts open as Eva walks on the roof, arms folded in comfort to the cold wind. She closes her eyes, comforted by the fresh air, it was getting to crowded for her liking. He hair wildly moving in the wind, she looks towards the below road with some leaving the pubs on closing hour. Her hand then goes into her dress pocket taking out the piece of green cloth in her hand, dazing at it. It starts blowing in the wind before it easily escapes from her hand, going into the night. Tipsy she walks near the edge, attempting to try and get it. Off balance Eva suddenly goes over the end, screaming in panic she flails her arms about in panic, as she goes past the balcony floor. She suddenly stops falling as her body violently stops falling, confused she gasps for air trying to look above her. Gripping onto her hand is the same figure she saw several nights ago. Matius’s eyes looking to hers, in desperation, “Hold on!!” .She starts screaming in panic before fainting, a crowd of people have gathered down below.  (Several police cars have pulled up from below, looking upto the building seeing this winged creature immediately heading into the building). Several people from the prom watch from the balcony floor, seeing this mysterious winged stranger save Eva. With her now limp body Matius lifts her with difficulty back up gritting his teeth in process. Finally he lifts her limp body from danger holding her body, the wind blowing around him.
  On the roof three policeman burst open the roof door, immediately point their guns directly at Matius who looks in bemusement. “Don’t move or we shoot”, one of them warns removing the safety.  Matius looks at the police then glances at Eva’s face. Sensing their assertiveness Matius lowers Eva’s body to the ground kneeling before rising back up. “Good now stay right where you are”. Matius starts to hear something in the air, looking up. A helicopter is in the air, it’s flashlight swings towards Matius blinding him he raises his hands. The police open fire in reaction, the bullets pound Matius’s chest knocking him over the edge, people from the prom rush towards the balcony edge watching Matius fall. His wings hitting the building. The glass from the building break tumbling down to the street below. Matius quickly opens his eyes before lifting himself into the air his wings come to life, beating away. The helicopter gives chase, it’s spotlight illuminating the road.

 

Back on the building roof the policemen asks for air support. Unknowingly Eva wakes up dazed, remembering that figure saving her. She turns looking at the police. One of them looks at her, going over to her, “Are you alright?” She looks back at him, “I’m fine quickly getting herself up. The helicopter noise grabs her attention, looking to the air her covering her eyes. She sees the winged creature being chased down by three helicopters. One of the policeman raises his receiver speaking into it, “Take this thing down when in sight”, he commands watching the sky. She looks angrily at the police. “If you didn’t notice, he saved my life”, the police officers turns towards her. “Look miss, he’s a threat if you hadn’t noticed people are screaming and panicking. We must take him down”. Angered she slaps the policeman, watching his face waiting for an apology. “Listen to me! He has harmed no one!”, she bursts out looking directly at him. Quickly the other policeman grabs Evas arms escorting her off the roof, “take him down!”.

 

Out in the sky Matius is still being followed by two helicopters, their blades whirling. Inside one of the cockpits the receiver goes off, “I repeat keep the target in your sights”. The pilot turns towards the receiver, “Roger that”, responding he places the receiver back. The helicopter rises into the air, veering to the left. Matius looks behind him seeing just the one helicopter, realising he’s lost one. He swerves to the right going past a building. The helicopter’s light shinning in the windows. Just as Matius flies to the right, he twists his head to the left seeing the other helicopter, trying to ambush him. Instantly he swoops down, avoiding the gunfire. He flaps his wings soaring down, gaining speed.
  He heads towards the road, making people scream out in fear. They scatter on the road, ducking their heads. Several cars stop in motion, a reporter tries to snap a couple of photos. Seeing the panicking of the crowd one of the helicopters below the people fires a heat-seeking missile. Matius flaps his wings, looking behind him. In panic he increases his speed swerving through the buildings gaining wind, trying to shake the missile. He swerves past one building, only for the missile to just miss hitting. The helicopters continue to follow in pursuit. Matius then notices a large billboard sign on a building with a sufficient gap. Seizing his chance he head for the gap in the billboard. Closing his wings he manages to go through the gap falling through the air. The missile behind hits the billboard in an explosion of fire and electricity.

  Matius looks behind in satisfaction, relaxing himself as the helicopter rises above the fire. Angered the pilot sets his target once more on Matius. With Matius in the crossfires the pilot smiles, “Got you, you son of a b***h”. His thumb hits the trigger, as another homing missile is unleashed. Matius continues to swerve past the buildings, oblivious to the missile. As it nears he hears it turning around, as his eyes widen.

 

Back on the street Eva is escorted by several police out of the building with several of her prom friends watching in secret. “Let me go!” Eva shouts in protest trying to shake the policeman off, “Just let me go!” Forcefully one of the police grips her arm taking her towards the police car. “That’s enough young lady, you will be coming with us”, the policeman replies. Just as she’s about to be forced into the car she hears an explosion in the air looking into the air in shock. She immediately tries to break free. “Nooo!!”, she screams while the policeman escort her into the police car.

 

The missile hits with impact, shrapnel pierces into his back. He is launched into a building in a cloud of dust and smoke before slamming into a alley, his body disturbing several puddles of water. Matius badly hurt uneasily raises himself, blood dripping from ear. His wings feel frail with several new holes. He then quickly looks to the sky to the merciful helicopter above the alley, a cat trying to catch the mouse. He looks out into the street hearing police sirens getting nearer and excited sounds of people. Weak he pushes himself deep into the alley, undercover. His body in agonising main, he staggers deeper into the alley. A beam of light shines from the relentless helicopter down in the alley narrowly avoiding Matius. Matius rests himself in the alley falling into subconscious.



© 2013 Shane Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

A excellent story. You are a storyteller. Good flow in the story. I like the description of characters and the location. Thank you for sharing the story.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

167 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 15, 2013
Tags: Dark, Good, Evil, Light, Heaven, Hell, Demon, Angel, Power, War, Throne, King, Warrior


Author

Shane Williams
Shane Williams

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Dervish photoshop by ~Shane000 on deviantART I am a Illustrator, Photography, can write poems and I'm currently writting a fantasy/action/adventure story which had been influenced my lord of the ri.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shane Williams