Chapter 5

Chapter 5

A Chapter by Shane Williams

Chapter 5


The next daylight shines through the abandoned hour signalling a new day. The light shinning on Matius’s still face. Irritated he quinces waking up, squinting he looks out at the sun, raising his arm in irritation. Steadily he raises himself out of the chair before making his way towards on of the cracks looking through it. He looks down at the city, now in light seeing many people walking on the streets and the many cars which go down the roads, he then looks at his hand all scarred and torn then looking back outside. It’s best I say inside while the sun is up Matius thinks, I would terrify people

 

In town meanwhile Eva walks through the shopping mall, noticing her good college friends sitting in Café Nero’s. She gives smile as they see her approaching. “Hey ladies how are we doing?, sitting down next to her friends. One of them smiles with glee, “Fine, fine…how are you?” Eva shakes her hair, better now that I’ve finished work. Much better” She sits down looking at the different selection of drinks to choose from. “So Eva, what’s happening about Chris?” one of the women asks leaning forwards. “Chris?.. Nothing as far as I know”, confused by their question. “Nothing? Are you serious?, one of the girls responds in shock, “he’s been looking at you since the year started”. One of the women drinks some of her coffee, “Hell even I’d go for him”, she replies making Eva blush. “He has soo got to be your date for prom night” one of them suggests rolling her eyes. “Prom night… No. Just no”, eva replies in embarrassment. Several of them laugh to themselves. “Aww come on me and Lydia have a date already” Eva looks in surprise before looking back at her food.
  “Hey did I mention to you guys what happened two nights ago?” No please tell us!” “okay… Do you know the alley opposite to the Vue cinema?” “Yer sure what happened?” I was walking through that same alley when someone kidnapped me”. “Oh my god, were you alright?” “No I was terrified, but something saved me that night” “Who was it?” “I don’t know but whoever he was, he’s tall”. “Hahaha… maybe you can ask him to be your date at the prom!” Eva gives a smile before she notices the time on her watch, her smile fades. “Is everything alright eva?” “No I’ve got to go or I’m going to miss my bus.

(Eva leaves the town hall and finds she has missed the bus. She then tries to phone home for a lift but it turns out she has no credit left. Cursing to herself)

On heaven a cloaked figure enters a large building seated above are several hundred angels watching in wait. In the centre are three seated angels dressed in brighter garments all hooded. One of them rises up to address the hooded figure, his face hidden. “It appears someone from hell has descended on Earth. You do understand your mission?”, the eldest angel demands. “Yes Council” the angel answers. “You are to watch this person called, Matius. Survey him, watch him. If he causes any trouble it’s your job to silence him”. The angel raises his head, “Shouldn’t I bring this Matius to judgment, give him to hell? Everyone thinks he killed Sousan?”  One of the angel council breaks his silence, “What they believe is wrong. This Matius isn’t the murderer; his power alone wouldn’t be enough to kill him. I suspect only a son could do such a thing” The angel pauses in thought, “Sooo it could be possible that...” “Yes”, the eldest declares, “we believe it was Dervish’s doing to murder Sousan, his personality speak for his actions” Finished another angel speaks, “Be careful how you approach Matius , he is confused and doesn’t know who to trust. We will leave him in your hands” The angel nods in agreement, “What about the new ruler?”, he questions. “We will leave him to his devices for now. If he considers an act of war against us we will be ready”  “Good luck and be careful”. The hooded angel bows to the council before heading out the building filled with rows of angels watching him leave.
Back on earth, the sky has turned dark as rain starts to fall. Eva walks quickly through along the street in a panic. Ohh god I’m going to be late again Eva thinks to herself.  (She walks into an alley)

 

She cautiously walks into the alley paying close attention to her surroundings, watching the windows and shadows in fear of an attack. She suddenly hears something far behind her in the alley, spinning around. Threatened she quickens her pace; he shoes hitting the flat stone floor. She quickly goes past a dustbin, knocking it over clumsily, the rubbish scattering across the path. Without notice she enters a wider area facing several new entrances. She stops walking feeling lost, unsure which route to take. My friends never told me about this she thinks to her cursing her luck. As she’s considering her options she suddenly hears something.

 

Some wolf whistles in the air with a hint of amusement, she suddenly stops defensively hearing the whistles from above on her left. In one of the windows a guy is sat hidden in the shadows, “well well well... what do we have here?” The man suddenly drops down from the window still walking towards her. Eva takes several steps back before running back the other way. All of a sudden a bulky man suddenly appears from behind the shadows smelling of cigarettes, smiling to himself.  “Hey babe where do you think you’re going?”. Eva steps backwards trying to act tough. “Me? Ohh don’t mind me... I was just heading home”, she tries to get through the man again only for him to push her back with her body. “Hey come on babe, what’s the rush? I’m sure we can have some fun”, the man replies as Eva turns around. “Isn’t that right guys?”. Then three more men walk into the area, all of them humorously looking at her.

  With her exit blocked Eva tries to run past the tall man only to be grabbed by him. She screams out in panic, struggling against his hold. “Hey don’t leave us now! The fun’s only getting started!” The man pulls of her jacket before tossing her jacket to the three new arrivals who laugh to themselves playing with it. She fights furiously against the man’s hold, in reaction to her jacket. “Give that back now!”, she shouts in anger. The men laughing to themselves, “Like hell we will!” With her anger she breaks free from the man’s hold running to get her jacket back..

 

Just as they laugh to themselves something glides above them, catching everyone’s attention.. 

"Let the women go". Everyone suddenly turns to see a cloaked figure , his features hidden with the exception of his chest. The leader turns towards the figure chuckles to himself bemused, "yer you and what army?!" many of his friends laugh to themselves amused. The cloaked figure raises his head threateningly showing his lower face, displeased. "I don't need an army to beat scum like you". The expressions suddenly change after being insulted, him and two others remove blades from their back pockets in retaliation. "Well, bring it on tough guy!", the leader remarks testing his armed hand.

  The leader lunges forward his knife just missing the cloaked figure’s head. With his defences down the figure elbows the man’s face knocking his head back, he staggers backwards clutching his face, blood flowing down it. “You b*****d! You broke my nose!, my f*****g nose!” The leader staggers backwards allowing his two armed friends to attack him, both vertically slashing at the figure in swipes. The figure dodges to the right before kicking at one of the man’s kneecaps. The man howls in pain, dropping to the floor. Sensing the trouble the leader grabs Eva and beckons his two other friends to follow closely. Back in the area the figure knocks the last man to the ground before facing the alley.

 

The men run deeper into the alley in a panic, breathing heavily. Tired they all stop, the leader resting himself against the brick wall, his head raised in exhaustion. “Do you think we lost him?” One of the men questions, looking back down the alley hopefully. “Who knows, whatever it was, that’s not human”, the bulky man replies, turning towards their leader. “So err boss what’s the plan?”, the bulky man questions somewhat nervous. The leader remains frozen, trying to slow his breathing. “We need to get out of here now!” Just as he says this something drops down into the alley behind him catching everyone off guard.
  “S**t it’s hi..”, before the leader can finish the stranger grabs him by the jacket before throwing him towards his two men, knocking him into a stray bin. Just watching this the bulky man steps backwards in fear before making a run out of the alley. “Hey what do you think you’re doing?” The other man protests in annoyance, “Come back!”. Left by himself the other man turns tail and runs out of the alley. Eva watching in tension, backed up against a wall. The leader gaining consciousness raises his head towards the blurred figure approaching him. “Please don’t hurt me!”, the leader protests, crawling away. Quickly the stranger grips the leader’s collar lifting his straight off the ground. “This person is under my protection, Now get out of here and don’t let me see you again”. The leader staggers up before clumsily running out od the alley. The threat over Eva steady’s herself up walking towards the figure his back turned.

 “Ohh thank you so much!, the figure remains silent unplacent of Eva. Before he can react Eva grips a hold onto the figure’s cloak much to his surprise. He spins around in shock walking back into a wall. “Just who are you?” Eva questions, the figure suddenly backs away hastily in fear raising his hands. “Hey there’s nothing to fear” she reassures lifting his hood. Her eyes suddenly widen, screaming at the face that is Matius. Quickly she falls over, looking at his scarred inhuman face before running down the alley leaving Matius alone.

 

Back on hell Ivan rests casually in his quarters. A week has passed since Sousan’s followers have declared a new ruler will take the throne, Ivan feels nervous. He turns around looking outside to all the people who look so small from his window high in the palace grounds. Did Sousan really have control over all these people he questions, he watches as someone exits the alley and spots Ivan looking through the window giving a little wave. Shyly Ivan quickly pulls away from the window before letting himself drop into his luxury chair.

 He’s still concerned about Dervish, how he’s alive even though he was thought dead. He claims he took a trip into the wildands but investigating the record books Dervish hasn’t even departed from hell. Maybe he was the one who killed Sousan, Ivan grits his teeth just thinking about it. “I’m going to get some answers one way or another”, Ivan utters in annoyance. Just as he thinks this he hears knocking at the door. He turns his head towards it, “Who is it?” Ivan questions protective.  “Ivan it’s         Sousan’s advisor” Ivan closes his eyes giving a little smile, “please come on in” Respectfully he enters his dormitory approaching Ivan. “Is everything ready?” Ivan questions. The advisor suddenly pauses his expression changes to guilt looking for forgiveness, “Sir... there’s been a change of plan” Ivan suddenly rises himself from his bed in shock. “What do you mean?”, who’s behind this?”. As Ivan demands, Dervish appears from behind the advisor his eyes closed in satisfaction looking to Ivan. “I am”. Ivan in shock rises from the chair shifting his gaze, “What the hell are you doing here?” Dervish closes his eyes once more considering his words, “Why, to give apology that you were considered…unfit to take the throne” Ivan grimaces in anger stepping towards Dervish in anger, “On who’s orders?!”. Dervish closes his eyes in amusement, “why people of the royal family of course. They believe you lack the confidence to be ready, you have no power in your words no conviction”. The advisor hearing these words notices a glow from Ivan’s skeletal arm as his anger starts to show on the surface burning in intensity. “I…I will leave you two to discuss this”, the advisor glancing at Ivan and Dervish quickly makes his leave from the dormitory.  
  With the advisor gone Ivan takes a step towards Dervish threateningly, knowing his intentions full well. “Not everyone here knows your dark side”, Ivan utters, “If I were you I’d tread carefully. I know to well of your ambition for power, how you hunger to be acknowledged. I can understand that, but I fear you’re turning into the very thing Sousan was afraid of”. Dervish smiles in disbelief, “Ivan, you are naïve, I only want what is best for our home, for our world. For hell to become great, the ruler must be greater. That ruler needs to be strong yet strict in his words. Someone who acts like a god to those below. That ruler is me!” Ivan looks in surprise, before taking a step closer. “Ruling people through fear and control isn’t the way to rule. Sousan ruled though freedom, and choice and people looked to him. Don’t get me wrong I don’t trust you, and if I ever find that you were behind Sousan’s death I will kill you by my very hands”. Dervish slightly shakes in fear before moving closer to Ivan, “ Be careful in what you say…brother. I have allies in high places”, he warns before heading out of Ivan’s quarters.

 



© 2013 Shane Williams


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the description of the struggle of the girl and the help of Matius. Matius is a strong character. I like the conversation with Dervish. You are create a situation with the possibility of a wild ending. Thank you for sharing the excellent chapter.
Coyote

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

145 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on August 1, 2013
Last Updated on October 15, 2013
Tags: Dark, Good, Evil, Light, Heaven, Hell, Demon, Angel, Power, War, Throne, King, Warrior


Author

Shane Williams
Shane Williams

Wolverhampton, West Midlands, United Kingdom



About
Dervish photoshop by ~Shane000 on deviantART I am a Illustrator, Photography, can write poems and I'm currently writting a fantasy/action/adventure story which had been influenced my lord of the ri.. more..

Writing
Chapter 2 Chapter 2

A Chapter by Shane Williams