Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ellay
"

Mainly an intro to characters, with a little twist towards the end

"

I don't know what went wrong in my life.

I mean, for 15 years I have lived peacefully as an active member of society! People would describe me as a “quality person”.

So why did my life have to take a turn for the worse, huh?

I should probably introduce myself before I tell you my entire life story.

Well, hi, my name’s Bradley Perry. You probably already knew I was 15, from what I said before. I have black hair, I’m 5’8”, and I’m a sophomore at Arthur C Miller High School in South Dakota. And...that's just about it. I know it sounds weird that I’m telling you all of these things about myself, but my English teacher always says “specific is terrific”.

Oh, and I’m a vampire.

I wasn't born that way. Before this curse, I led a fairly normal life. I had lots of friends, got decent grades, actually interacted with people. But like all good things, it didn't last. Four months ago, I was bitten by someone who had once had the privilege to call me “friend”. But now I barely have any friends left. It was for their own safety that I pushed them away. They would hate me, want to kill me. And while things might not be perfect in my life as of now, it doesn't mean I want to die.

The friends I do have left, Simone and Rodriguez, I’ve been trying to distance myself from for the past month. I don't want to hurt them. The hunger...it comes out of no where. I’d be in church, and then all of a sudden the priest would look like a tasty chicken nugget. Its really embarrassing when you have to run out of church in the middle of a sermon. You get a few dirty looks the next week.

But the worst part about being bitten is that I have to not only distance myself from my friends, but my family as well. It really just sucks. Its really hard to, especially since I have two siblings and an overprotective mother. I’d lock myself in my room, but every five seconds my mother would check to see if I was dying, and my annoying siblings would want something from me.

You're probably wondering if I’m like those vampires you read about; really large fangs, fear of sunlight, able to get killed with a stake, red eyes and stuff like that. Well, sorry to tell you, none of those things really apply to me. I mean, no one really likes extremely bright sunlight. And anyone can get killed by a wooden stake to the heart. But about the others, no, red eyes are just a myth. However, my pupils are slightly slitted and my fangs are pretty big, but they don't come out unless I’m hungry, surprised, or feelings like that. But other than that, not many other things come from being from a vampire. Pale skin is another thing it gives me, but I’m not as bothered by that.

I’m mostly bothered by the blood thirst. Its just...disgusting. I’m not squeamish, if I was I would die. Eating regular people food does nothing, unless you count indigestion. Its absolutely horrible! And the worst part is I have to eat people food so my parents don't suspect me. Thats how most parents find out that their child is a vampire. I can only eat blood, well, technically you drink it.

But the worst part about being a vampire? The girl that I’ve had a crush on since middle school, Jacqueline Brown, can't  be with me. I don't age, she does. Not to mention the fact that there is a secret vampire hunting group in this town, and I’m fairly certain she’s part of it. Lets just say a little birdie told me. I’m just afraid that if I get too close to her, she’ll smell the undead-ness on me. Like a wolf or something. Yeah, crazy, I know. But I’m really paranoid. I don't know how long I can keep this secret, especially from my friends. They keep hounding me, asking what's wrong and everything like that. I can't tell them I’m depressed, because then they’ll tell my parents, and my mom worries enough.

Suddenly, I was pulled out of my daydreaming by a touch on my shoulder. “Are you just gonna stand by your locker all day? If so, would you move over, I have places to be and people to see.” I shrugged off the touch and turned to see one of my remaining friends, Simone Watson. I moved to the side as she opened her locker and gathered her things. We’ve been friends since pre-school. Actually, we hated each other in pre-school. According to my older brother I used to enjoy to play with Barbie dolls and wouldn't let the other kids play with them. I seriously doubt that actually happened, though.

“Sorry,” I told her as I closed my locker and slung my bag over my shoulder. I was about to walk away when she pulled me back. I really hate when people touch me. Okay, that came out wrong. But you get the gist, right? Anyway, I’m just afraid they would feel coldness, ‘cause, you know, I don't have a heartbeat.

“Hey, stop being so glum. Turn that frown upside down!” She reached up towards my mouth to manipulate it, but I backed away. What if my fangs come out? I haven't drunk in a while....crap! I felt as my fangs slowly formed on my teeth. I hate when this happens!

“I’m sorry, Sim, but I got to go. Homework, and..stuff.” I ran off as fast as I could, not turning back to see her response. I know I’ll get the lecture later. The “You can't run off on people, thats rude!” or “You need serious mental help!” lecture.

I pulled out my phone and scrolled through my contacts until I reached the person I was looking for. Sam Carson. Once a friend, now an enemy. The worst part about it is that he’s the only person keeping me from becoming a monster. Yeah, he supplies me with blood. Animal blood, thank God. His parents own a farm with a bunch of cows and chickens, so I pay him to supply me with a continuous stream of it. Remember that guy earlier that I said bit me? Yeah, this is him. It really sucks a*s.

I began texting him when suddenly my phone wasn't in my hands. I looked up to see Bruce Caldwell standing over me, my phone firmly gripped in his hand. “Who you textin, Perry? Your mommy?” Let me introduce you all to the school brute, the number one d****e in high school history. And I’m his number one target. Man, if I got one good bite on him...no, stop it Brad! You don't bite innocent people! Scratch that, I wont bite people in general.

“No. Go away, Bruce. I’m a little busy.” Man, if I don't get that blood, we’re both dead.

“And who’s gonna make me? You? I’d like to see you try, weakling!” He pushed me into a locker and his cronies surrounded me. You would think that since there are all the campaigns for “No Bullying” and all that, that most bullies would be gone in our “safe” schools. Yeah...no.

“Please, just let me...”

“Bruce! What do you think you're doing,” I heard from behind the wall of guys surrounding me. And speaking of these guys, they absolutely reek! Heightened sense of smell sucks!

“Oh, uh, nothing, Jackie,” he replied. Jackie? As in...Jacqueline. I don't want her to see me like this! I quickly fixed my hair and clothes and hoped she didn't notice. Bruce released me and his friends backed away to reveal the most beautiful girl ever.

“Thats what I thought. Now go, before I tell your girlfriend you tried to beat my friend here.” Friend?! I mean, it’s nice thing to say, but we barely know each other. Back in pre k we were friends, but we rarely interact now. The guys went away and she lightly patted my shoulder. I quickly turned my head away so she wouldn't see my eyes. From far away they’re not noticeable, but up close...

“I’m sorry about that, Brad.”

“Oh..umm,” I tried to say something cool. Yeah, not going to happen. But I got to get out of here. “I’m sorry, I have to go. We can talk later, okay?” And once again, I ran without looking back.   

But finally, I reached my usual meeting place with Sam. Janitors closet. I walked in and was greeted by the sight of Sam perched on an old bucket, smoking. Really? Smoking at school? He looked up and smiled when I walked in.

“You're late,” he said, standing up and pulling out his bag. I could feel my fangs come out in anticipation.

“Got a little caught up, sorry.” I reached out for the bag.

“Not so fast, Perry. First, my pay.” I took a crumpled $20 out of my pocket and reluctantly handed it to him. At this rate, I’ll never get into college. And yes, I still want to go to college, even though I’m...a monster. “Pleasure doing business with you.”

He held out the bag and I quickly grabbed it, desperate to get what was inside. “Yeah, whatever. See ya.” I was about to leave when I heard him say something. “What was that?”

Sam sighed. “I said, don't drink it all down like you did last time. Remember? You don't want that to happen again, do you?” I hope it doesn't happen again! It was just horrible! I don't even want to talk about what happened.

But somehow I highly doubt that’s what he said. This guy isn't the person who would do something nice. I turned and left and was immediately confronted by Simone and Rodriguez.  

“Well, well, well. Lookie what I found here,” he said, shaking his head. Crap! I need to get to the bathroom so I can drink this, or Rod is going to become my next snack.

“A-Rod, I really have to...” I tried to say, but he stopped me.

“No excuses! You promised last week that we would hang out before class this entire week. Today is Monday, let the torture begin!” Man, I forgot about that. Why do I make these promises? Apparently I love to torture myself.

“Look, about that..”

“There is no getting out of this, bro. If you don't do it now, next time it will be two weeks. Now, lets walk,” he said as he began walking in the opposite direction of where I wanted to go.

“I think we should...”

“Well, I think you should shut up and listen to what we have to say. Okay? Is that clear, young man?” I’m not that much younger than you! By one year. Thats nothing! And it’s not like he’s so much smarter than me! I don't want to brag, but, I’m in all Honors classes.

“Brad, we’re worried about you. Well, I am. I don't know about him,” Simone said, gesturing to A-Rod. And just so we’re clear, that’s Rodriguez. So much easier to say.

“You shouldn't be. I’m fine. Just so swamped with homework.” Yeah, nice try, Brad. They’ll never believe that.

A-Rod rolled his eyes. “Yeah, sure. Lets see here. You have been in all of the Honors classes since middle school and you want us to believe you're swamped with homework? Not to mention, you're father is a teacher and God knows you try so freakin hard to please him that you would never let him down. Now, tell us the truth.” Man, this guy knows me too well.

“Look, I just don't want to talk about it, okay? Its really personal and stuff, so can we just leave it alone? I’m here now, just to hang out. I wouldn't have promised you this if I knew you would ask me all these questions.” Who knows what would happen if I told them. They could be disgusted by me, or tell the police, or worse, my parents. In that case, I’m dead.

A-Rod shrugged and in the process, I saw a pulsing vein on the side of his neck. I felt my fangs come back out, and saliva forming in my mouth. I turned away, determined not to run off. Maybe I can pass off my blood as fruit punch? Yeah, sure...

I looked down at my bag. It was really tempting to just rip it open and drink the bottle of blood. But the risk is just too great. No matter how much I love my friends, I value my own life over their knowing the truth.

“Now where were we before we had to search the entire school for Braddy here?” he asked, facing towards Simone. She rolled her eyes and turned back towards me.

“Can we not talk about that, Rod. And the answer is still no.” Oh, this again. For the past year, A-Rod has been continuously asking Simone to go out with him. I feel like she should say yes, just to see how it goes. You never know until you try. Thats what I believe.

“Ah c’mon! Whats not to like about me? I’m sexy, charming...”

“Arrogant,” she continued, “Annoying. Shall I go on?” Well, you're right about all of those things, that’s for sure. But I mean, he’s still our friend.

“Nah, I think we get the picture, Sim.” I told her.

And then the worst thing possible happened.

The first bell rang. And I know what you're thinking. It’ll get you away from your friends, you can ask to go to bathroom during first period and drink, right? Wrong. My teacher, Mr.Linman, lets no one go to the bathroom. No. One. Thats why I make sure I do it before first period. Especially when first period is chorus class. And my mouth is on full display to anyone who happens to be looking in my general direction. I’ll have to wait...which is just not good.

Wait...idea! Its not exactly what my parents would want me to do, but neither would they want to to eat someone. So, here’s the thing. What if, you know, I told the nurse I wasn't feeling good today and then I get sent home! Problem solved. Downside, my mom freaks out over me and stuff, but its worth it. I never want to eat a human. Ever. I’ve been fighting the temptation for a while now, I’ll get used to it.

So, next thing I knew, I was in the nurses office, faking a stomach ache. And let me tell you, I should be in drama club, I’m so good. Simone has been right, I’ve got mad acting skills. As the nurse was making a call to my parents, I risked checking my phone and saw that I had three new messages. From Simone, A-Rod and....Terry? Clarification, Terry, Terrence is his real name, is my older and soon to be graduate brother. I checked his first, since I didn't even knew he had my number!

“Hey, Brad, we need to talk. I know you faked your sickness, and me might as well take advantage of it. Meet me at Sandies in two hours, or else.” Wait, why isn't he in school?! Thats what I want to know. And why do I have to go to his girlfriend’s house? This better not be some prank, or I swear...

I was startled out of my daze when the nurse said something. “I’m sorry?” I asked.

“You're free to go, kid. You're parents couldn't pick you up, but you ain't no baby. Walking gives you character.” Yes, walking right down the road will give me so much character. I picked up my bag and hurried out of there as fast as I could. It may seem a little extreme leaving school just because I couldn't wait one period to feed, but I’m at the point of no caring. School ends in nine weeks, its not like I’m missing much anyway.

As soon as I got home, I chugged my subsistence. I hate calling it blood. I don't need to be reminded that I’m a monster. And I know Sam said not to chug it, but my instincts took over. I needed it! I lived on it.

And thats when I remembered something. I’m not a monster. I mean, I am, but I shouldn't act like it. Controlling myself is the first step to being more...normal. If normal is even in my vocabulary list anymore, that is.

I put down the empty container, and sighed. I don't want to live like this. The government has been working for years on a cure for all of these crazy “diseases”. Vampirism, werewolfism, etc. No one knows where they came from. Some speculate that it was actually the government that unleashed it. There are flaws in that, but people can believe whatever they want. I believe its due to some obscure thing, like radioactive walrus’. I don't know, I’m kinda weird.

I stashed the empty container in my room, praying my mother doesn't find it. She has weekly inspections of my room to check if I’ve been hiding drugs. She’s totally convinced I’m high all the time! And I’m like, mom, do I look like a meth head or a crack addict?!

But, you know, she’s my mom and since she won't be here forever, I let her do her little checks and baby talk and stuff to me. She’s probably going to be home any second, I should probably go. Once she gets here, I’ll never leave. And its already been around two hours. I know, time flies, am I right?

I grabbed a piece of paper and left a note so that she wouldn't send out a SWAT team to go looking for me. It’s short, simple, and to the point. Grabbing my bag, I went next door to Sandies, aka Terry’s bae. They are, like, Romeo and Juliet, I swear. Always hanging on to each other. You know what, I’ll bet they got married. I wouldn't be surprised, actually, no one would.   

I knocked on the door, which was immediately answered by my brother.

“You're late,” he said, leaning against the door frame. I almost gasped, but held it back. Never have I ever seen my brother wear something so...non-nerd like. He is like, nerd supreme usually; sweater vests, khakis, the works. My God, I didn't even know he owned a tank top and shorts! Or for that matter, muscles! He’s got like biceps for days! Man, my brother has been holding out on me.

“It’s only been two minutes after eleven, I would hardly call that being late. Now, why did you call me here? Besides getting me in trouble with mom?” ‘Cause when I get home, I know for a fact a four hour lecture will commence. No more sneaking out, she’ll say. Blah, blah, blah. And then like an idiot, I bring up the fact that I’m the middle child, and when she doesn't dote over Amanda, my ten year old brat sister. and then she’ll start talking about how family is everything, and it doesn't matter if I’m the middle child, I’m just as important as Terrence or Amanda. Yeah, this lecture, is not fun!

“Doesn't matter, punctuality is everything, my dear little brother.”

“Don't listen to him. He just snuck in through the back about a minute ago,” I heard from behind Terry. A girl with long black hair appeared, placing her arm around his shoulders. Sandy was nice enough, unless you caught her in that time of the month. She-devil!

“Shh, don't tell him my secrets baby,” he kissed her on the cheek, but of course that wasn't enough. Then the smooch-fest commenced. Oh God, dude, stop. My child-like eyes! I quickly turned away before my innocence became shattered. “Oh don't even think about it, bro. This will be you one day. Ladies man, they’ll call you. You have the Perry sexiness in you.” Dude, now I have to explain this. Okay, so, our Dad was kinda this world renowned male model. Six pack, sexy hair and eyes, everything. Ter seems to think it has only passed down to the males in this family, which includes me. If you took one look at me you would go scream to the heavens “Why would anyone ever make someone so hideous as Bradley Perry?!” I’ve got doll sized hands and feet, my hair is so long I can't see out of my right eye because its blocking it, and my eyes are like cats eyes kinda. Not to mention they’re dust grey.

Sandy lightly slapped him on the shoulder. “Are we just gonna stand around here, or are we going to tell him?” Tell me what? Spit it out, I have absolutely no patience.

“Yeah, yeah. c’mon little bro. Got something to show you.” He pulled me by my arm into the house, and out the back. What was the point of going through the house if we weren't even

going to be doing something inside? And then he just began walking down the street. Which just confuses the hell out of me.

And then we towards the old, run-down paint factory. And thats when I’m just like wtf!

“Terry, why are we here? Don't tell me we’re gonna sniff old paint cans. I don't really feel in the mood to get high.”

He lets go of my arm and begins undoing the chains around the door. “Nah, I just had my marijuana. Can't mix fumes and that.” Dude, mom is gonna kill you. Not that none of us don't know you take drugs. Its a well known fact. But surprisingly, my mom has done nothing about it. Its now just a part of his regular routine. Wake up get dressed, smoke weed.

“Why are we going in here then?”

“Its time you found out our families profession, Brad.” I already know what it is. Male modeling, which is not what I want to do for eternity. No one wants to look at a scrawny fifteen year old vampire boy.

Finally, the chains around the door fell off, leaving the door to swing open. Brad gestured that I should go inside, so I did. I better not get old paint on my shoes, or mom’s gonna find out you hang out here. But there were no miscellaneous paint cans strewn about; everything was clean except for a few things. Well, actually, a lot of things. Dummies, weapons, computers, and protective wear were meticulously placed throughout the large building.   

“Ummm...care to tell me what all this is?!” I exclaimed, gesturing towards everything!

Terry chuckled, and began walking around the things closest to us. Knee and shoulder pads, flasks filled with...blood. Blood?! Why in the world does my brother have blood?! “Oh all this? Just some stuff lying around....”

I heard footsteps behind me to reveal Sandy walking in. “Terrence Perry, you tell him this instance. You wanted him to know in the first place.”

Fine! So heres the thing. Since the outbreak of this vampirism around 1965, there have been hunters. Hunters to help regular people, or mortals as we like to call them, to help them survive. This particular sector here was founded by our grandfather, Brad. Dad came after him, then me...and since I’m going to college next year, its time you start learning to be the new leader.”

Me....a leader... “But what do you do to these vampires?” I said, my voice coming out squeaky.

“We have to kill them, of course.”



© 2015 Ellay


Author's Note

Ellay
Feedback would be great, Thanks :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

112 Views
Added on July 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015


Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay