Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Ellay
"

Brad must come to terms with the fact that his family is a family of vampire hunters

"

Nope.

Absolutely not!

While I may not like being a vampire or like the vampires in this area, I certainly don't want to kill them. Especially since if these people find out that I’m a vampire...I don't think being Terry’s brother will give me an special advantage. But if I join them, does that give me an advantage? They won't suspect me, unless they test to see if my heart beats and all that.

Terry’s hand waved in front of my face. “Earth to Brad, hey?! You okay?”

I nodded, not trusting myself to say something. The scent of blood was strong in the air, and vampires are always hungry. Even after I just ate.

“I know this is the biggest honor ever, and you're speechless, but you have to answer my question. Will you join us?” Who’s “us”?

“I..I don't know...” I stammered.

“Brad, it okay. You don't have to decide this instance, contrary to what this guy says,” Sandy said, lightly touching my shoulder. I took a step forward, out of her reach.

“Hey, I’m not saying he should make up his mind now, just soon. We only have four months of school left, we need a leader or everything will fall apart. If he doesn't do it, Jackie is our next best fighter, she would be leader. But I prefer to keep it in the family, thank you very much.” Wait, so when I graduate, our then 12 year old sister will lead this? Man, thats just harsh.

“Yeah, I know, baby. But just show him around a bit, tell him a few things about what we’re fighting here. I doubt he’s been up against monsters like these.” Okay, that cut deep. I try my damn hardest to act like a civilized vampire, thank you very much.

The next half an hour went by in a blur. He gave me a tour of the entire building; training area, lab center, sleeping quarters, kitchen, bathroom, and the worst part? They have room just filled with dead vampires. Man, thats just sick. I literally almost threw up, which would have been bad ‘cause it would have just been blood coming out. Don't need to explain that.  

“So,” Terry began, “what do you think? And before you beg me to let you join, you have to know one thing. Before you can officially become the leader, you must at least hunt with experienced hunters, study with our lab specialists, and read up on the vampies. Got it? Good.” He turned towards Sandy. “What time did Thomas say he was coming? We might as well get Brad situated here. I mean, who could say no to something like this?” Ummm...I could. I feel like I’m killing my own people if I kill “vampies”. If I o become a hunter, it will only be because I was forced against my will.

“His college course ends in about ten minutes, so he’ll probs be here in 20.” Great, 20 minutes of just awkwardly sitting here with these two.

The main door slammed open and in walked this gangly boy, probably somewhere in his late teens. He wore a sweatshirt bearing the title “On a scale of one to ten, how obsessed am I over Harry Potter? 9 3/4”. Oh God, one of Terry’s nerd squad.

“I’m here! You may now applaud!” he shouted. Can you please not SHOUT! We get the point, you’ve arrived, big whoop. No one cares.

“I thought you were in your programming class? Did you electrocute your teacher? Again.” Sandy asked.

“Nah, bro, I just left. Snuck out a window when the old hag wasn't looking. Had to meet the fresh meat. And speaking of said meat, I’m assuming this is him?” he said, pointing to me. Hey, I am no meat.   

“Yup, Thomas this is Brad. Brad this is Thomas, our lab expert. He runs tests on the ones we’re able to catch.” Catch?! WTF?! If you touch one hair on my head, I will call child protective services and sue yo’ a*s.

“I wouldn't call them tests, Terrence. They’re more like....analysis of the unliving, see what makes them tick. Is it sick that I love my job here?” Um, yes, very. So either you're destined to become a serial killer, or a mortician. Great. I’d rather take the serial killer. “Now, you two run along, go canoodle or something. You, Bradley, will stay here and witness the smartest person ever do the smartest things ever.” I highly doubt that. There probably are a lot of people more qualified than you for this job. Like actual adults and stuff who have finished college and stuff.

“You better not do what you did to the last rookie who came in here. We don't need to send another one to the hospital. Now, you,” he said, pointing at me, “Behave, or mother will find out how not sick you are.” Yeah, yeah, threaten me all you want. I know all of your little secrets as well. I’m sure mom would love to hear them.

“I make no promises about scarring the youth of America, Terrence. Its what I’m best at. Now, go, leave me with this child.” Thomas began pushing them out of the building, and closed the door behind them. “Let the fun begin.”

God help me.

~

I can't believe it.

They’re actually trying to find it. A cure. And they have legit equipment and everything! My brother barely has enough money for a sandwich, so where did he get the money for this!  

“So? Impressed? You should be.” Thomas said, interrupting my thoughts. What if they truly come up with a cure?! I could have a life again! Pass school, have a family, everything normal.

“Its great! Where did all the equipment come from?! This stuff looks state of the art!” I exclaimed, barely containing the excitement. I don't even think the government has this sort of stuff!

“Look rookie, I don't think you have the authority to know where we get our stuff. Its classified, got it?” Yeah, right. You just like the fact that as my elder, you can withhold info from me. Not cool, man. “Now, you're gonna witness a master at action.” He pulled out an old cell phone (a flip phone, can you believe that they still exist!) and began to call someone.

“Hey, B. Yeah, I’m at the base. You caught one this morning? Well don't sit there like a rock, bring it here! What do you mean, it will be hard to get here? You didn't kill it?! What the hell man?! Huh, fine, we’ll come to you.” He hung up, sighed, and put his phone back in his pocket. “Looks like you're getting some experience in the field today, Bradley. One of the hunters has caught a vampire, but what such and idiot that he didn't kill it! Shouldn't it be pure logic that once you catch one it has to die! They’re vile creatures,” he said, taking a few steps closer to me, “They have no morals. To them, you are nothing but their lunch. Keeping that in mind, lets go.”

Thomas walked outside and motioned for me to follow. As soon as I stepped outside, I felt as if I were in heaven. Car heaven!

This guy has a Ferrari! Its so red and beautiful! Oh, I just want to love it and hug it and take it home!

“Ain't she a beauty?” he said.

“Uh, yeah! These things cost a fortune?! Where do you get all these snazzy things?!” And yes, I said snazzy. Its the only words to describe this! Cars are my life! If I wasn't planning on going to college, I’d be saving up for a vintage sports car. Maybe then the ladies will notice me. In a good way, though. I don't want them noticing me because I’m a vampire. Then i’ll have to deal with screaming women, and it is not a pretty sight, let me tell you. My little sister Amanda can scream for hours and still have enough energy to run around.

“Look, I’m gonna confide in you a secret that no one else knows about me,” he said, leaning in to  whisper in my ear. “This is gonna absolutely blow your mind. Ready? Okay, I’m a criminal, on the run from the law. This beauty here, she belongs to my mob boss who is, lets say, out of town. I’m planning to drive to the Mexican border and bring back my girlfriend, Anita, to America so we can make a good living.”

“Are you serious dude?! Thats so badass!”

Then he began laughing so hard I thought his lungs would come out of his mouth. “Dude, you are so gullible. Like seriously, you fell for that! It doesn't even sound realistic! Oh man! Wait till Terrence hears of this! I’m so posting this.” Great. Just marvelous. Now I’ll be the laughing stock of this school.  Again. Yeah, I have been publicly humiliated so much it's not funny. I’ve been pantsed, beat up, made to look like I peed myself...it's just all so frustrating! Why can't anyone respect me?! I’m just as much a citizen as they are! Don't I have rights like all Americans! I could feel the hate flow through me, exactly like Anakin from Star Wars. All I wanted to do was show everyone who had wronged me what it felt to have their throat ripped out and their blood to be spilled. They...

“Hey, little guy, you a’ight? You look a little...flustered.” But his words just set me off. Why should he be concerned about me? He’s the one who made me angry. You can't just take back your words. Words are permanent, like a scar or broken heart. Or a vampire bite. You can't just forget about them. They are there, a constant reminder of whatever you or someone else did. “Hey, I wont tell your brother or post it if you don't want me to. If it bothers you....just calm down. Getting angry solves nothing. Especially over something as little as this.” But those “little things” add up after a while. They just pile up, and at some point you’ll topple over. Go over the edge.

And then the worst thing possible happened. My fangs came out. And unfortunately I was facing Thomas, so he had a front row view to the real me.

He tripped back a couple steps. “Y..you're one of them. Does Terry even know about this?! When did it happen?!” I took a couple of steps towards him. It made me proud to see him shrivel up like a coward. That it was me for once being the tough one.

I let my vampire self take over and my vision sharpened, as well as my other senses. It was as if I let the animal inside me unleash. But I controlled everything I did.

Thomas began running towards his car, most likely to call those so called hunters to come subdue me. But no one will ever control me. I quickened my pace towards Thomas, and suddenly a feeling of being in flight took hold of me. Next thing I knew, I was standing in Thomas’s path.

He bumped into my chest and fell to the ground. It looked as if he were...crying.

Good. Humans should be groveling before their superiors. They should be the ones hunted to extinction, not us. We should have a chance of happiness. The humans are past their time.

“Brad...please, this isn't you. We may have only known eachother for a short amount of time...but you're brother talks about you all the time, you know? He says how great a kid you are. You always think of people. Now’s a very great time to be thinking about me and mine. Hear me?” Yeah, right. Your words mean nothing.

“Whats the matter?” I said, my voice coming out weird because of my fangs, “Afraid? Of a little vampie? One would think you would be brave and all, but it seems the other vampires were right. You people are weak. No matter what you tell yourself, everything is scary to you. You even fear death. That, my friend, is what separates. I would welcome death like an old friend, but you cower. You sicken me.” He stared at me as if I were a monster, but I’m past caring. Let him believe that. Because he shall soon be one too.

I knelt in front of him. He didn't try to move, like he was accepting his fate. This will make things easier. I lunged towards his neck, and bit the vulnerable flesh. I felt him go limp in my arms as I began to take in his blood. It tasted so...good. I wanted to taste it forever, but....

Hey, kid, you alright? I heard in my head. I let go of Thomas and let him fall to the ground. When he wakes, he will be one of us. One more monster.

HEY! I heard again, the same voice calling in my head. I shook my head, trying to get the voice out of my head, but it persisted. I closed my eyes and used my new powers to find the source.

Once I was sure that voice was gone, I opened my eyes.

Wait....what just happened?

Thomas was leaning over me, concern etched on his face. “Thank God. I was afraid to tell your brother that you died.”

“Wh..what happened?” Shouldn't he be...dead? But like in the vampire way? I ran my tongue over my teeth and felt flatness. My fangs were not out. But I could’ve swore...

“You tell me. One second we were walking towards the car when you collapsed. I was just about to call an ambulance.” Thank the Lord I woke up then. I think it would come as a big shock to them if I was dead, but not dead. “You okay?”

Not really. That vision or whatever it was...wasn't just any daydream. But it will never happen. I will never let it happen. “I’ll live. How long was I out?” I stood up, but my legs felt like jelly. Thomas caught me as I fell to the floor. Spots dance before my eyes.

What happened. Why am I all...weak?

“You are most certainly not okay. You should go home. I’ll take care of this mission. And besides, you don't have the training for this either. Leave it to the professionals.” No. Now more than ever I have to go. I have to ask this vampire if they know what the hell just happened. Like, is this normal for vampires to have visions of...turning people. And I’m ashamed to say this but...the act of turning someone felt like second nature. Thats what scares me. It never felt like this before.

“I’m fine, really. And I can handle anything you people throw at me.”

Thomas chuckled. “Now you sound like you're brother. I swear, being suicidal runs the family.” Yeah, also the fact that it's pretty damn hard to kill me. I’m immortal, for crying out loud. I may be dead, but I’m not dead-dead. “I guess you can come, as long as there are no more issues. My fragile heart can't take much more.” He climbed into his car, and I did the same. Then we took off at, like, 90 mph. Geez, does this guy even know how to drive?! Apparently not!

Next thing I knew, we were parked outside a Taco Bell, smelling the scent of old taco meat. This place can kill you, you know. Probably.

“Here we are, the entrance to hell. Also known as vampire breeding grounds. They love to flock here and make more vampires.” It's really very hard to tell if he’s kidding or not. Like half the things he’s says are jokes, but you never know. He could be serious.

He climbed out out the car and went towards the truck. “I’m not opening the door for you, princess. Get out yourself.” Fine! I opened the door, and scrambled over to where Thomas was. Uh, my legs are so weak I can barely stand! What the hell happened.

“Now, before you embark on your first interrogation, you must know a few things. One, don't question anything we do. Two, stand about fifty feet away from the vamp. Three, don't point your weapon at anything but the ground. Got it? Don't need any more deaths in this team.” Wait, anymore?! How many people have died in your team?! Well, doesn't that sound dandy. So there is a chance that Terry, or Amanda if she joins, will die while I live on?!

He opened his trunk and displayed a bag filled with weapons, varying from swords, to guns, to daggers. I was immediately drawn to this beautiful pistol with a mahogany handle. Ooh mama! I kinda also really like collecting pistols. You never know. If vampires are real, zombies could follow soon. I’m all set when they come. Of course, canned food won't do me very well now.

“I’m gonna give you something simple to start out with. If you mess up with this, lets just say it's gonna be really hard to get in after that.” He reached in and grabbed...a hammer. What the heck, man?! What am I supposed to do with this thing! Make a house?!

“A hammer?” I asked.

“Yup. What, you actually thought I would give you an actual weapon! Ha! Kid, you're hilarious!” Hey! I have experience with weapons! Mortal Kombat and Call of Duty have really taught me a lot! “Now, c’mon. Daylights burning, and the early hunter catches the vampire. Or something like that.” Thomas began making his way towards a small forest behind Taco Bell. I followed him, and soon we were engulfed by trees.

“Before we confront this vampire, I want you to realize a few things. These things are not people. They don't think like people, and they certainly don't act like people. Oh, they will try to act as human as possible. Maybe cry a bit, beg for mercy, but they are all the same. Be careful.”

Okay. That just really bothered me. I know that I’m not heartless. That just shows that they only pay attention to the bad attributes in some of them, and then automatically assume the others have it too.

We finally made it to an open clearing. And..oh hell no! Bruce?! Thats who B is! I am not working with him. He will pummel my beautiful face! And I just cannot accept that!

“Wait, hold on a minute,” Bruce said, coming towards us. “This is Terry’s brother? This pipsqueak?  was expecting someone...not Brad.” Wow, thanks. You're so pleasant.

“Thanks, Bruce. I can just feel your confidence in me.” Bruce glared at me, and I held his gaze. He smirked, as if we were sharing some joke, then he turned back to Thomas.

“Do you want to come see the vampire? Or are you going to just stand there like a fool.” Bruce turned back to the forest, and Thomas followed. Huh, why did Bruce have to be a hunter! If they find out I’m a vampire, he’s gonna go after me first chance he gets. Great, thats exactly how I want to go, by the hands of Bruce.

I ran after them, determined that when I saw this vampire I would not do or say anything. I cannot give myself away. Thats basically suicide. But when I saw it...

When I saw her. I’m sorry Jacqueline, but this girl was just beautiful. Her long, blonde hair was flowing around her body as she sat on the floor. Her grey eyes shone with tears, and I actually felt...sorry for her. While I may not like vampires as much as the next person, people shouldn't treat them this way. Peaceful treaties go a long way, you know!

Bruce had tied her to a tree, and bruises were visible all over her body. She looked up at me, her eyes silently pleading with me.

Run! Before they catch you! a female voice said in my head. It must be the girl, she must be one of the full vampires. I guess telepathic connections with others must be a power. But can I talk back to her?

“Found this one roaming around, looking for prey. Caught her before she could hurt anyone. What do you reckon we do with her?”

Thomas stroked his chin and studied the girl. “What is your name?”

Her gaze broke away from mine as she looked towards Thomas. “Elizabeth, sir.”

He raised an eyebrow but didn't remark on her calling him sir. “And how old are you?”

“I’m fifteen. Please, I have a family...”

“Shut it!” Bruce yelled as he kicked her. She whimpered and tried to back away, but she was tied to a tree and couldn't move. Dude, this is just cruel, even if it is a vampire.

“That wasn't necessary Bruce. She can have her say. It may not mean much, but I won't prohibit her from speaking.” Wow...so this is what hunters do? Torture them? I can't just stand here.

Why aren't you running? Please, talk to me. Are you a fledgeling? she said. I nodded quickly, so the others wouldn't see. I see. Please, get me out of here. Convince them. Even you have some power of persuasion. Wait, I have powers? But I’ve never bitten anyone..never drunk anyones blood. Well, there is no harm in trying.  

“Guys, she doesn't look like threat. Just let her go.” I said, putting as much power as I could into my words. The guys blinked, as if in a trance.

“Huh?” Thomas mumbled. “Let her go? But...”

“No buts! Terry is the boss of you guys, correct?” I asked, getting the hang of this whole persuasion thing.

“Yeah, but...”

“Hey! I’m his brother, so therefore you also have to listen to me. Now...go home and think about what you’ve done.” And then the most amazing this happened. They walked away. They actually walked away. This means...I have powers. They may not be much, but they work. This might come in handy...

And then I remembered the girl. I rushed over to her and quickly undid her binds.

Next thing I knew, I was wrapped in an embrace. It was really tight, and if I needed to breathe, my breath would have been squeezed out of me.

“Thank you! I thought they were going to kill me...I was so scared..” She began trembling, and wouldn't let me go. But I didn't push her away. I couldnt. She must have been scared out of her mind. I know I would’ve been. She looked up into my face, tears streaming down her face. “So you are a vampire? Like me?”

I nodded, not trusting myself to speak. I mean, she is really pretty. Her flowery printed dress hugged her..okay, Brad, stop. Jacqueline is the only one for me. I don't even know this girl.

“But you’ve never bit anyone? I tried, for a while...but...”

“Yeah, its not easy. But enough about that. You need to lay low now. My powers won't work for long. Is there anywhere you can go?”

She nodded. “My family owns a small cottage half an hour from here, near the beach. I can stay there for a while. But, I have one question. Why were you with them? This isn't some trick, is it?”

“No! I’m wont hurt you, I promise. But my family started this whole vampire hunting thing in this town...but I got bitten a few months back. I only found out earlier that I happen to be my families sworn enemy. They don't know, thank God.”

“Well...I am forever indebted to you now....”

“Brad. My name is Brad. And you're Elizabeth, correct?”

“Mmhmm. But most people call me Lizzie. You can too, if you would like.” She smiled a little innocent smile, and I instantly melted. I smiled back, a real smile, one like I hadn't smiled in months. I guess around her I don't feel...different. We’re both in the same predicament.

She let go of me and leaned back into the tree. “Will I ever see you again?” she asked. Wow, thats a first. Someone actually wanting to see me.

“Yeah, of course. One sec.” I took a scrap piece of paper out of my bag and wrote down my number and handed it to her. “This is my number. Text whenever you want to talk. Okay?”

She nodded enthusiastically. “I can't thank you enough, Brad. How can I ever repay you?” Oh my God. Where has this girl been all my life? Its so obvious to me now that a relationship with Jacqueline was unlikely. She would rather kill me than ever love me. Its time I think realistically.

Now comes the embarrassing and awkward part. “Oh, umm...and it's fine if you say no. But I was wondering...would you like to, um, go out on a date with me?”

Her eyes widened and her sheepish smile turned into one of pure joy. “Of course! Anything for my hero...” She looked into my eyes, and it felt like we were having a moment. A moment of understanding.

~

I opened the back door of my house and was greeted by the sight of my brother making out with his girlfriend.

Permanently. Scarred.

I slammed the door shut, jarring them from their moment of sucking face.

“Bradley Tyler Perry! Where in Gods green earth have you been?! We’ve been looking for you everywhere!” Ugh, he mentioned my middle name. My mom absolutely loves Tyler Perry, and since our last name was Perry, well, I was stuck with Tyler as my middle name.

“I went for a walk.” Which technically wasn't a lie. I went with Lizzie to her cabin where she’ll stay until she finds somewhere safer. We stopped off at her house to pick up some clothes, and on the way to the cabin she showed me a few of her powers. Apparently vampires can use anything musical, their voices or instruments, to lull people into doing what they want! It doesn't make any sense, but its pretty fricken cool. And did I mention vampires can also teleport! I kinda have those powers, but they are very limited and aren't strong.

“A walk?! Where?! The mother-lovin moon! The hunters have been looking all over town for you! And can you explain what happened to Thomas? He walked all the way back to the base, without his beloved car! He would never leave his vehicle unattended! What did you do, steal it?! Not to mention the fact that he has no idea why he walked back at all, or where he went! You...” Sandy placed a hand on his arm, and he stopped his tirade. At this point I was past angry. Can't anyone have any peace and quiet?! A life even!

‘Cause it seems that everytime I go off and do something, even if it is innocent, that I’m yelled at or ridiculed. Why can't anyone just leave me alone?! No one gets it...they never will...why am I always the one targeted?!

“Terry, stop. He’s here now, everything is all right. He’s probably just as much a victim as Thomas or Bruce is. Right Braddy?” No, no I’m the one that made them leave. I used my power over them. It felt...good, to have power. And these clowns here act like they have power over me! Psshh! “Brad? Are you okay? There isn't any need to get angry...” I pounced. I didn't think twice, I acted on animal instinct. Because that's what I am.

An animal. Wild. Untamed. Strong.

She screamed, but I didn't care. It only fueled me. I bit into her jugular and tasted warm flesh. I felt hands grasp my shoulders, pulling me back. Whoever it was threw me on the floor. I looked into the face of the person who took my snack away. A boy, with hard eyes filled with tears. Weakness.

Brad?! What the hell?! You're a vampire?! How could you betray me like this. We’re brothers...”

I laughed and licked the excess blood off my lips. “Brother? I have no brother. All I see is weakness, and weaknesses must be eradicated. For only the strong survive.” I lunged at him, but he caught my arms and pinned me against the wall. I kicked and punched, but this boy was...too strong. Of course he’s strong, he works out all the time, dummy. I heard in my head.

And thats when I remembered who I was. This monster isnt me. And this was my brother...and I ate his girlfriend...

Terry reached behind him to the cutting board and grabbed...a cleaver. He raised it over his head. “I’m sorry things had to be like this, little brother..”

“No!” I screamed, but it was too late. The cleaver went towards my head, and cut it open.

Pain engulfed me...and a bright light appeared. I enveloped it with open arms.



© 2015 Ellay


Author's Note

Ellay
Same as always, feedback is always welcome :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

123 Views
Added on July 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015


Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay