Chapter 4

Chapter 4

A Chapter by Ellay
"

Training begins for Brad

"

Jacqueline’s eyes widened in surprise, as if she was expecting me to decline.

“Well, then, your training begins in ten, if you're up for it.” I’ve never been more ready. The blood Chase gave me have given me extra strength, strength that I haven't felt since I was human. It made me...confident. “I would suggest you grab a granola bar or something, ‘cause this is going to be a long day.” I dont need no stinkin’ granola bar! I’m a vampire, but I can't let her know this. Pretty sure she won't hesitate to jab a knife into my heart. And I tend to like keeping sharp objects out of my chest cavity, thank you very much.  

But to make sure she didn't become suspicious of me, I went and grabbed one anyway, along with a bottle of water and a book. Hey, I don't go anywhere without a book. I’m a nerd at heart.

“Lets go.” I told her. She gave me a questioning look, and didn't move to leave.

“Hey...are you alright? You seem different. And I know you’re sick and all…”

“No, I’m fine, really. They were over exaggerating, I’m not really sick at all.” She still gave me the questioning look, now with a hint of concern. That’s what made me halt. She has never really shown any...concern towards me ever. Her stopping Bruce, that was most likely just because it was just in her good nature to stop someone getting bullied. But she has never, and I mean never, once looked at me with anything more than neutrality. I felt my heart skip a beat, which is impossible.

She then did something that would’ve lit my cheeks bright red. She placed her hand on my forehead, feeling for a fever. Her hand was icy cold, but that one touch sent a considerable amount of heat down under. Crap...I hope she doesn't notice. ‘Cause this is just really, um, embarrassing.

Before she could take her hand away, I stepped back out of her reach. Don’t need my hormones to do anything else that might ruin my life. Her face reddened, and she quickly cleared her throat. But nothing could clear the awkwardness that now loomed in the air. I stepped around her and opened the door, holding it open for her. She gave me a small smile before stepping out the door.

There began the long trek to the base. As if things couldn't get more awkward.

~

Jackie

This guy is truly an enigma.

One second it seems as if he’s madly in love with me, the next it seems he’s trying everything in his power to get away from me. Uh, men.

As we were walking towards the base, I tried to process what I just did. It was so uncharacteristic of me that my past self would have an aneurism after finding out.

I try to never to show compassion towards someone. Sure, I’ll put on an act about being all nice and girly and whatnot, but that isn’t my true nature. I learned a long time ago that compassion can only backfire on you, and I have the many scars to prove it.

Of course I’ll show compassion to my family and very good friends, but it’s only a matter of time before that goes wrong. But as I said before, I barely know him. I distinctly remember a short friendship we had as children, but friendships as children don't mean anything. People changed. I’ve changed more than most. Sure, I know his older brother pretty well, but Brad? I barely remember or even know anything about him, except his name and address. So why did it almost seem...as if I cared for him? Must be just because he gets bullied in school and I feel sorry for him. No one should get bullied, even if that bully happens to be one of my friends. For a while now I’ve had to tell Bruce to quit it, but he just doesn't get the message.

And I know what all of you are thinking. Oh you like him Jackie! Hell no! He is not my type, not even in the slightest. I tend to go for blond and blue eyed guys, not grey eyed and black haired. Not to say he’s ugly or anything, he is fairly attractive, in a goth sort of way.

Brad must’ve noticed that I was staring at him. “Is there something wrong?” he asked.  

“Oh, nothing. Just sizing you up, seeing if you’ll be any good in a particular field.” His eyes widened, and I kinda wanted to laugh. His innocence is quite amusing.

“Field? What types of fields?” Uh, I hate explaining to newbies. They just won't stop asking questions.

“There are a few fields, but since you’re new I’ll just cover the basics. It really all depends on your intelligence and skill with weaponry. If you are deemed highly intelligent by our head researcher, who I’m sure you’re already familiar with, then you're most likely going to be placed on our research team. Currently, it consists of about four members, and their job is to find a cure for all this madness. We all want don't want to do this the rest of our lives, so the sooner we get them cured, the better.” Yeah, and they better get it ready before I die...I don't want to die knowing that, Oh God, I don't want to talk about it. Because then I’ll start crying...and I hate to cry. It makes me weak.

“Anyway, the next field up is the weapons master. They tend to finding, and sometimes creating, weapons. Sometimes they even clean the weapons, but that’s only once or twice a year. Anyway, they aren't really too important, in my opinion. They usually are the new recruits, so you might be with them for a short time until you prove your worth. However, we do teach them skills, so they’re not entirely helpless.” I knew I said the wrong thing, probably insulting him, but such is life.  



© 2015 Ellay


Author's Note

Ellay
Its not done yet, but hopefully I will upload the finished one soon

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

114 Views
Added on July 5, 2015
Last Updated on July 5, 2015


Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay