Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Ellay
"

Strange stuff is happening to Brad, and things only seem to be going downhill

"

Terry


It's not my fault I swear!

One sec, I was telling my brother how much trouble he was in, like a responsible adult would. And then...he collapsed on the floor. He must have hit his head something hard, cause he immediately started to bleed. And it was a heavy flow of blood.

Sandy immediately rushed over to him and flipped him over. I think I almost had a heart attack! His lips were tinged blue. And his hair...began to turn blue, as well.

“Terry...what the hell is going on?!” Brad was taking shuddering breaths, as if he were on his death bed. Holy crap, what do I do! I'm not a doctor for crying out sakes! Okay, Terry, don't get too worked up. We can't have another...episode. Sandy would freak out even more, and I can't do that to her.

“I don't know, but this isn't natural. We need to take him to the base, get Thomas and Andrea, and figure out what the hell is happening to him. C’mon, we need to pick him up” I grabbed his by his shoulders and Sandy picked up his legs. Damn, boy, you weight, like, nothing. you need more protein in your diet. Okay, what am I saying! He could be dying and I’m making jokes?! I need to become the adult I should be, cause I’m 18, graduating high school and starting my life. I guess I just needed something to provoke myself to grow up. Apparently my brother dying did that.

We dragged him out to my car and placed him gently in my backseat. He looked half dead; he was shaky, white as a sheet and...his heart was barely beating. I tried to feel for a pulse, but I felt barely anything. C’mon bro, don't die on me. If anyone should be the one dying...it's me.

We drove like madmen to the base. No way in hell we’re going down to a hospital, how in the world would we explain the blue hair and stuff. Not to mention the fact he just got home from confronting the vampire. Whatever that b***h did to him...

“He’s going to be okay. Tell me he will be okay.” I said, worry in my voice. I was having a full fledged panic attack. Which is not good. If I get too freaked out, this car could go flying.

“Thomas will find out what’s wrong. You and I both know that, right?” I could tell she was as worried, if not more, than me. Her palm was sweaty when I held it with the hand that wasn't holding the wheel.

“I don't know. I’ve never seen anything like this before. He doesn't seem as if he has any injuries. It seems almost like...” I didn't finish my sentence, but Sandy knew exactly what I meant.

“Wait, do you mean a witch did this? They know to stay out of the way of hunters, we have an agreement..”

“Yes, but technically Brad isn't a hunter. Not yet, at least. They must have used that loophole to get to us...its the only thing I can think of right now. So, don't just take my word. Wait until we speak with the group.” Wait! This isn't the time for waiting! There is a dying person in my backseat!

Oh my God, we’re finally here! I parked and immediately jumped out and opened the back door. Holy s**t.....he is basically dying. Its official now. His breathing was slowly decreasing. He was freezing cold, not to mention that his hair was now entirely a dark blue. I picked him up, the adrenaline rushing through my body. I burst through the door, and was greeted by the sight of all the hunters staring at me as if I was crazy.

“What the hell man! That was a nice door!” Thomas yelled as he rushed over, pulling on his lab coat. I set Brad down on the cot in the infirmary, and I almost cried. Almost, ‘cause I’m a man. And we men don't cry, we sweat out of our eyes.

“Oh my God, is he okay? What happened?” Shellie asked, coming over to help.

“I don't know. He walked in the house and then just...collapsed. And then all of this! Sandy and I think witches. You guys?” Everyone looked at eachother.

“Look, we don't have time for this! We need to save him. He’s my f*****g brother, I will not let him die!” I screamed. I knew I was overworking myself when black spots danced before my eyes. I would’ve crashed to the ground if Bruce hadn't come around and practically push me into a chair. Calm Down I told myself. Remember what the doctor said?

Sandy kneeled down in front of me, taking my hands into hers. “Ter, stay with me. Please.” She kept talking, but my ears stopped hearing her. This was what the doctors were confused about. My symptoms we’re strange, not normal for what I have. I blinked a few times, trying to stay conscious. If not for me, at least for Sandy.  

I lightly squeezed her hands, and looked into her eyes. But it was what was behind her that caught my attention, and not her beautiful, sapphire eyes. Brad’s mouth was open in a scream, and everyone was slowly backing away from him. What do they think they’re doing?! He’s obviously in pain.

I stood up to go make sure he was alright, when my knees gave out.

I crumpled to the floor, and finally lost consciousness.

~

Brad

I thought the pain would end.

But it just kept going on and on.....I could barely take it.

It felt like millions of knives were stabbing me, continuously. And I knew the only thing that could stop them would be to embrace my...darker side, and let out all the power within me.

I don't know how I knew I had power, buried deep within me. But it was there all the same, festering inside of me, as if it were a sentient being all on its own. If I got upset, it would lash out at others.

And this power wanted out, to take whatever it was torturing me and make it beg for mercy.

I don't know how long this has been going on. It could be hours, days, maybe years. Maybe this is hell, and will last for eternity. I hope not. I  kinda have a life I want to continue. I did not want to die like this. Food overdose, yes. Horde of squirrels, maybe. But succumbing to the vampire inside of me, hell no!

But fate’s a b***h, so....

“Get your a*s off the floor, boy. Your story aint over yet.” I heard from all around. I looked around, searching for the source of the sound, but no one was present. All that was around me was a black fog, consuming my body. “My Gods, you're lazy! This is my ancestor! Geez, my line has really gone down hill.”

“Who...who are you?” I asked.

“That doesn't matter, little Braddy. All that matters right  now is that you don't give in. You give in, and this world is done. Hear me? Let the hate go.” Now you sound like some Jedi! Can't this guy see I’m trying!

“I know that I’m not usually the type of person to pep talk people, because frankly people just annoy me. Their incessant talking and greed. Uh, absolutely disgusts me.” he continued. Is this guy nuts? I could be dying, maybe even dead, and he’s discussing how much people annoy him?!

“Where am I?” I asked, thoroughly confused. I kinda want to know if I’m dead or not.

“You're in the Void. It is nothing, and everything. It is neither here nor there. It simply is. And regarding your question about if you are dead, you are not. Your silly little rage fest has shut down your body, but not the mind. Now, tell me, when was your last birthday?”  Why does this creep want to know my birthday? How in any way, shape, or form, will this contribute to the situation?! But you know, what, things can't get any worse from here. i’m already in extreme pain, what more can they do to me? Right?

“Last Tuesday, why?”

“Hey, I ask the questions around here. And you're 15 human years, correct?” Is this guy a pedophile or something?! Dude, I do not want to be raped. It is definitely not on my bucket list.

“Yes.What...” I began, but he cut me off.

“What did I say about questions! Gods above, this kid is like, what do the humans say? Ah, yes, a brick wall.” This guy is nuts. “Now, to the part where I explain everything to you in a nice, simple manner, so little Braddy can understand. Okay? Now, since you are at that age, you know what I’m talking about, right?Yeah, you know. Anyway, your magic is, how do I say this, absolutely unstable. It bursts out of you when your emotions are out of control.” I literally have no idea what is going on. Am I the crazy one and this is all an illusion?! ‘Cause this guy is just...no words to describe him. And the pain was still there, which made things ten times more worse than it already was.

“Look, kid, I can't explain everything. You're going to have to wake up at some point, but until then, I have something to tell you and something to ask. Got it?” This guy doesn't seem to understand that I’m not getting anything that he’s saying. “Things will be different from now on. I had to change something in you to protect you, you must understand. And control your temper, it sets you off. You're lucky I pulled you here before you could hurt yourself. One more second in that dream realm, and your brain might have snapped. I can't explain much more, as I don't have time. But my body is in the mortal realm. Find me. I...must...you..” His voice was coming in and out, as if there was static. The pain was lessening, and soon my thoughts became clearer. I felt as if my mind and body clicked back together, like a puzzle. My body felt battered and bruised, as if I had just gotten out of a fight.

“Holy crap, he’s alive...what the hell.” I heard from the side of me. I was lying on something soft, why? I remember...making it to my house, then...nothing. But my head is pounding and I feel so...drained. Of energy, and especially food. I opened my eyes, but was instantly blinded by a bright light.

“Brad...are you alright?” the voice said again. It sounded familiar, but my brain was just so confused I couldn't figure it out. It was definitely male, that was for sure. Whoever it was gently picked up my head and suddenly, cool water was coursing down my throat. “Man, you gave us one hell of a scare. You were technically dead for a few minutes...” I tuned the guy out. I opened my eyes and looked around at this...place. It was some sort of lab/infirmary, with beds and lab tables placed everywhere. Where the hell am I? I looked over to the boy who gave me the water. He didn't look familiar, however. He had long, brownish hair and glasses, and was scribbling on a clipboard. He had a clipboard in one hand and was jotting down a few notes, once in a while passing a glance to me.

“I..I think so. Who are you?” I asked. It was almost painful to talk, the pit in my stomach only felt as if it were getting larger. The boy looked up from his clipboard and at me. His green eyes felt like they were piercing my soul. He looked away quickly, and returned to his work.

“Chase, Chase Withers. And you are Bradley Perry, am I right?” His voice was scary familiar. But I think I’ve heard of Chase Withers. He goes to our school, I think, and is a freakin millionaire. He is notorious for hi, um, well, how do I say this? Crazy tendencies, thats it. I heard he once tried to kill his own brother, perhaps even his little sister. I don't usually follow rumors, but this one was too popular that I had to know it. You know, be like the cool kids. I’ll just shut up now. “Judging by your lack of silence, I’m assuming you are thinking about those...rumors about me. I’m going to tell you a life lesson. People lie. A lot. And if you listen to those filthy lies, you are only one more person on the list of people who I despise. And let me tell you, that is one list you do not want to be on. Got it? Good.” What the hell? What is this guy, a mind reader? This guy has got issues!

“Now,” he continued, “Would you care to tell me why it is that as soon as you had no pulse, you woke up? Care to tell me, little vampire?” I almost blacked out, right then and there. He...he knows?! Oh no, no, no, no, no, no! I’m so dead! Oh God. I tried to get up, but...he had restrained my hands and legs. They were strapped down to the bed. S**t. “Hey,” Chase said as he put down his clipboard and came closer. “I’m not gonna turn you in. Not if you don't do anything stupid, that is. Answer a few questions for me, and you're free to go.” I could feel panic set in. Why should I trust him? I literally just met him, he could be lying.

I must have been feeling stupid because I asked “And why should I? You could be tricking me.” Yeah, now I’m dead. And I didn't even get my first kiss yet. Damn it!

He just shook his head. “You got guts saying that to me, kid. Either that or you're just an idiot.” Hey! I may be stupid, but I’m not an idiot. “But I always keep my word. Now, where are the rest of your vampire friends?”

“I don't know. I don't interact with them.”

“Look, kid, don't lie to me. Where else do you get your blood? I don't see a Bloods R Us in the neighborhood.”        

    “I’m telling you, I don't know where they are. I drink animals blood, you know, goats, cows, etc.”

His eyes widened, and I almost believed that they would just pop out. “Are you being serious? A vampire, resisting one of their most primal urges? I almost don't want to believe you. How often do you feed on this blood? It has to be more often than a vampire who drinks the blood of humans.”

“Every other day. Which means tomorrow I have to have another litre or so...”

“I hate to break it to you, Braddy, but “tomorrow” was two days ago. You’ve been out for that long, kid.”He took a few steps back, as if he were afraid that I would go after him. I was hungry, starving even, but when I tried to smell a food source...there was no scent of humans in the air. Ummm...what? My stomach growled, as if it were upset at not having a food source. Chase backed up a few more steps, almost tripping over his lab coat.

The pain was horrible. The hunger has never been this bad, I’ve never let it like this. It felt as if someone had scooped my innards out and left a hole inside of me.

“Brad....” he said as he slowly locked the door. He grabbed a scalpel off of a table, and leaned into the door, as if it could protect him. I felt as if I was suffocating, I barely had the energy to breathe. I slumped back onto the bed, my breathing labored. If I don't get something soon...I will die. For real this time, because this is no dream.

“Holy crap...you're dying.....” Chase said as he came closer to me. Uh, what was your first guess? “What do I do!? Oh God, oh no....blood, you need blood.” He began to search through the cabinets strewn throughout the room. But because of our wonderful luck, he found nothing. My mind began to cloud, but one thought persisted. Food...Now...

Chase smacked my face lightly. “Hey, stay with me now. We’ll get you out of this, got it?” I felt my consciousness slip away...

~

Warm..

Delicious...

It trailed into my mouth, it was so good. My eyes opened and...blood. A steady flow of blood was pouring into my mouth. I greedily drank it, practically begging for more. Looking more closely, I saw a hand hovering above my face, and I quickly grabbed it, before it could pull away.

My fangs instantly came out, and I bit the hand. My first bite. It was truly beautiful. After about a minute, the hand pulled away, and I sagged back onto the bed.

Oh God...what did I just do? I drank the blood...of a human. Thats the first step...to becoming a monster. It’s only downhill from now on....no. I can't think of that. I have to think positive. Puppies. Kittens. Pizza.

“Jesus Christ, man.” someone said from beside me. I looked over to see Chase, holding tightly to his wrist as it...bled. I bit his wrist?! I felt as if I would be sick, but I held it back. Throwing up could be the worst thing right now.  “Any more blood, and I’d have to be the one put in bed. I better not turn into a vampire, or you're dead meat.” I don't think you’ll turn from that. It has to be a direct bite to the neck, it does something to the artery there that cause the mutation. Don't ask anymore about it, because I barely know how it all happens, or when it started. It makes no sense how someone can go from a human being into a raging monster.

“You won't, and if you do you are welcome to butcher me. I would deserve it. No one deserves this fate...” I wouldn't even wish this on my worst enemy. It is truly a fate worse than death.

“Hey, don't talk like that. I couldn't just let you die, your brother would kill me.” He laughed quickly, but it was humorless. He came over slowly and undid the bindings around my wrist and ankles. I rubbed my sore wrists and gave him a nod of thanks. I stood up slowly, getting my bearings. My legs were a bit shaky, but all in all, I was good. Thank God, mom would’ve killed me if there was even a tiny scratch on me. “Now you should probably go tell everyone all right. You're mother was worried sick about you. Barely left your side.” WHAT?! My mother...was here?! Well isnt that just frickin great. She better not still be here.

I went over to the door, and slowly opened it, revealing the Hunter base. A few people I couldn't recognize were throwing knives at targets, but I did see one familiar face. Jaqueline. She stood in a corner, talking to yet another person I didn't know. Damn, how many hunters are there?! There has to be at least twenty, maybe more. I don't know, I’m just spitballing here. I quietly closed the door, as to not attract any of their attention. However, all of them turned their heads towards me, and a few pairs of eyes widened.

One of them hurried over to me and gave me a big grin. It was the guy that was speaking to Jackie, he looked about a few years younger than me. He had big, thick glasses, and his red hair was mussed up. He held out his hand to me.

“Wow, we all thought you wouldn't make it! Name’s Steven. Steven Brown, I’m Jacqueline’s sister.” I took his hand and we shook. He seemed like a nice kid, and surprisingly talkative, unlike his sister. Jacqueline came over and put an arm on his shoulder.

“Steve, you should probably head home now. Tell Dad I’ll be home in an hour or so, okay?” He nodded, and bounded at the front door, passing a few farewells to some of the others. Jacqueline gave me a small smile, and silently went back to her corner, where she took out her phone and began tinkering with it.

Chase came beside me. “I see you’ve already met Jackie.”

“Yeah, um, we go to school together.” Yeah, we don't talk at all, though. We’ve been lab partners, but that's about it. “So...are you a hunter as well?”

“Nah,” he said, turning away, “I wouldn't have the time, and besides, I’m not fit enough to take out anything, much less a vampire. And...” he trailed off.

“And what?” I asked.

He shook his head quickly. “Its nothing to concern yourself with. Just forget I said anything.” And in that moment, he was no longer that weird kid that just saved my life. He was cold, distant. He walked away, hands in his pockets.

“Dont worry about Chase. He’s always like this,” someone said from the right of me. I turned and saw...okay, massive confusion. Why the hell was Bruce, of all people, talking to me?! “Dont give me that look, Perry. I still absolutely hate you, but since we’re working together now, your brother suggested we...play nice. But here’s the thing. I don't exactly play nice, and you already know that.” Uh, of course I do! I’ve been on the other side of that fist, and let me tell you, not fun.

I gave a small laugh. I’m not gonna lie, this guy absolutely terrifies me. “Um, yeah. So...is my brother okay?” Bruce shrugged and walked off. Wow, so much help. What was the point of coming to talk to me if you were just going to say one thing, not even important, and then leave.

“Oh, don't listen to my sweetie. He’s just a big shy guy.” A girl said as she came towards me, a bo staff in hand. Her dark hair and skin were greatly contrasted by her light blue eyes. She gave me a wide smile and led me to a small table near the entrance. She pulled out a small box and handed it to me. Inside were small packs of snacks which I happily took and began devouring.

“Now, you’re Brad right? Terence’s brother? Its so nice to meet you.” Well, isn't she just...chipper. I’m assuming this is Bruce’s girlfriend though, as he is giving me glares like you wouldn't believe. I can't believe I’m even still alive. “Disregard my boyfriend, he gets a little...jealous. Now, how are you, sweetie? I heard you got quite sick the other day.”

“Oh, yeah, I’m fine. Thanks for asking…”

“Oh, duh, I didn't introduce myself. Hi, my name’s Shellie McCannon.” She gave me another warm smile. How in the world did a brute like Bruce ever get with a gal like this? Its like a cougar mating with...whatever a cougar eats.

“Its nice to meet you. Names Brad.” We exchanged small smiles, and then I went back to practically engulfing my food. What? I am a growing teenage boy, and I need my food! After devouring three bags of crackers, I looked up to see Shellie staring at me, a small smirk on her face.

“You know,” she began, “You are a lot like, do you realize that?” Yes, I fully realize that I am like my brother! We practically look the same, excluding eyes and teeth, and we basically act the same as well. Unless you count the fact that Terry is just a weirdo, then yes, we are basically the same person.

“Um,yeah, I do. Thank you.”

She laughed. “I’m glad that you take it as a compliment. Most kids that are compared to their siblings think it’s an insult. If I were compared to my brother, Richard, I would absolutely flip!” Well, my brother and I are close, always have been. He’s like my best friend, which is both good and bad. Bad being that if he gets too close, he might see me. The real me.

“Holy hell, look who woke up,” a voice said behind me. It was as familiar to me as my own. I turned around and was immediately wrapped into a tight embrace. From the smell of her favorite perfume, I instantly knew that my mother had hugged me. In front of everyone. Well, my life is officially ruined.

“Oh my poor, sweet baby! Are you okay my darling? Do you need to go lie back down?”

Mom!” I said. These are the times that I wish that I lived far, far away where no one could ever hear me scream. Doesn't my mother even realize how far she takes this over protective thing!?

“Dont worry, moma’s here.” Kill. Me. Now. I looked over my mother’s shoulder to see if anyone was laughing. Absolutely no one was paying attention. Thank the Lord. On the other hand, Terry was standing behind mom, laughing his a*s off.

“Shove it, Terry.” I whispered, loud enough for him to hear. That only caused him to laugh harder. “Hey Mom..can you let me go. I kinda can't breathe.” Which was basically a lie, ‘cause I dont need to breathe. But I just can't stand hugs that last for more than ten seconds. Unless it’s with a hot chic. Then forever is fine by me.

My mother let me go, but still held on to my shoulders, checking for any injury. “I’m just glad you're okay, sweetie. You’ve had your father and I so worried for the last two days. When they told me you were dying…”

“I’m fine now, mom. Don’t worry. Can you give Terry and I a minute to talk? Please?” I really want to know what happened. And I’m fairly certain that Terry was there, so maybe he can tell me what the hell happened to me.

My mother nodded and gave me a disgusting kiss on my forehead, which is instantly wiped off. She is notorious for leaving red lipstick on any poor soul who has the misfortune of being the lip’s target. She walked away to where my father stood, who gave me a small smile and wave.

“Glad to see you not dead, little brother,” Terry said to me. “For a while...well, I didn't think you would make it. But you’re a Perry through and through, so I had a feeling you would come out of it.”

I gave a short laugh at our joke. My family has this joke that we’re super lucky, meaning we come out of everything unscathed. Car accidents, fights, everything you can think of. Apparently for me, that rule doesn't always apply. I can still see that day in my mind, to the last little detail. It was only three months ago, but it has felt like a lifetime. Samuel and I were walking home from a late night study session, cramming for geometry, when it all went down. Everything was normal, we were discussing apothems and other math crap, and then he just tackled me. He pinned my arms down to the pavement and barred his pointy teeth at me. I tried to kick him off, but his vampire strength was more than my own at the time.

He snapped his jaw at me a few times before finally biting me. I felt instantly paralyzed, and stopped struggling. It didn't hurt, I remember, but it was the strangest feeling. My brain felt all fuzzy and my body was tingly. It was as if my body accepted what was being done to it. Time seemed non existent, but after what could’ve been ten minutes, he let me fall to the ground. I felt the difference immediately. My mouth felt heavier, my senses were sharper, and my hunger...was not satisfied.

Samuel looked up into the sky and I remember how sad he said when he yelled “Are you happy?!” before taking off down the street. I struggled to my feet, my brain feeling sluggish. I leaned against the closest thing, a lamppost, and took a few calming breaths, trying to decipher what just happened. But then i realized...I don't need to breathe.

I was one of them...they don't breathe, they kill. Torture. Turn others. And I...was one of them. My thoughts were snapped back to reality by Terry shaking my shoulders. And then I realized that I was sitting. I don't remember sitting...

He put a hand on my forehead, and instantly pulled it away. “Your burning up. God...what is going on here?” I didn't feel sick. All I felt was confused. Is this what that guy meant in the Void when he said things would change? Because everything certainly feels different. When in the last three months have I had a high temperature? Vampires always have a steady temp of 98.6 degrees, so they never get sick.

Mom came running over when she heard I was burning up. She also felt my forehead, with the same reaction. “Oh Braddy-boo, are you feeling alright?! I knew you should’ve lied down more. Lets take you home and you can have some nice chicken soup, okay?” Oh great, food. The last thing i need right now. But I let my mother lead me home anyway and for once let her tuck me into my bed. I just lay there for a few minutes, contemplating everything that has happened. It’s all so confusing and disorientating.Why is all of this happening? What is going on…

My phone rang, and I got up from my bed and tried to find where mom had put it. It was on my night stand, along with a little note that said “Get Better Baby Boo”. Can my mother embarrass me any more? I picked up my phone to discover that I had five unread messages, all from the same number. Lizzie.

Hello

Is this Brad’s #?

Helloo?

Brad, u said this was ur #...

:’(


I read all five, and slowly my guilt increased. Even though it wasn't my fault, I still felt really bad. She seems like a very lonely person, who needs a friend by her side. I tested her back really quickly, saying  Sorry I couldn't get back 2 u. Got sick. Hopefully she’ll get this.

She did. Mere moments later she responded with OMG, r u alright? I dont even know how to answer that question. I’m running a fever when that should be impossible, and every time I think I’m okay, I pass out and have strange visions of me killing my friends and crazy people. I finally responded with Idk, i will be eventuly. I know I spelled “eventually” wrong, but who does not mis spell when texting? Its a crime if you dont.

A knock sounded at my door. “Come in” I said quickly, launching myself back onto my bed, feigning sickness. Amanda walked in, carrying her favorite stuffed bunny, Mr.FluffyPants. Her blonde curls bounced around her young face, and a concerned look was donned on her face. I could tell it was an act right away. She wanted something, badly.

“Mandy, what do you want?” I asked, dreading the answer. She better not want me to play ponies with her, because the last time we did, I ended up carrying her around on my back for an hour straight.

She batted her eyelashes, trying to act all sweet and innocent. “I just wanted to make sure you were okay, big brother. Mommy said you were sick and I wanted to cheer you up.” Yeah, sure. Next your going to tell me that you found out how to fart rainbows.

“Well, I’m all cheered up, so you can just leave now. Bye.” I said, trying to make her get the hint that she was not wanted. But she didn't get the message. She just came closer to me and sat on my bed! Oh mah gawd, I just washed these! You have contaminated them you little brat! Ugh! I began to kick her from under my covers, but she wouldn't budge.   

“Hey! Don’t kick me! I’ll have you know that I’m wearing a brand spankin new outfit from Hot Topic. And I cannot get it wrinkled. I’m wearing it to Jessica's party!” Seriously? You are only fortifying my belief that girl’s care about clothes more then maybe even their own lives!     

  “Look Amanda, I’m not in the mood for your childish games. Go to your stupid party and leave me in peace, okay?” I dont want to deal with you on top of all this crap in my life.

She rolled her eyes. “You know, I came in here to tell you some good news, and you just want to kick me out? Quite a role model you are!” Hey, in my defense, I never asked to be your role model. Terry is a way better choice than me. I’m still in puberty, which is a warning in it of itself.

But it was killing me what the news was. But now, she wont tell me unless I apologize ‘because everything was offensive to her. “Sorry, sorry. So..what's this news?” She gave me a wicked grin and stood up. She flipped her long, blonde curls over her shoulder and slowly moved towards the door.

“Ten bucks.” she said.

“Pardon?”

“Give me ten bucks, and I’ll tell you. If not, I’m not telling you.” she said, saying the last few words in a sing-songy voice. Geez, she is such a pest. I reached over to my dresser and opened the top drawer, where I usually kept my wallet. I pulled it out, and put out a $10 bill. I reluctantly handed it to her, and she immediately put it in her little purse. “Thats a good boy. Now, there is a girl outside for you. I wouldn't keep her waiting if I were you. Its not every day that you get a girl.” She started laughing as she ran out of the room, probably expecting me to come after her. But it wasnt worth it. A girl? Does she mean Lizzie?

But she shouldn't be here?! Doesn't she realize that this area is crawling with vampire hunters? Oh God, I have to get her back to her refuge. I rushed down the stairs and almost tripped when i saw that at the door, the girl wasn't Lizzie.

It was Jacqueline Brown. Her red hair looked as if it were hastily put into a bun, and her clothes also looked as if they were chosen without any thought. But to me, it was a beautiful sight. I mean, it was at least better than seeing Lizzie. If she were here, she would probably get killed on sight if they found out that she was the vampire that they lost earlier.

I reached the bottom of the steps, and Jackie looked up from where she had been looking. By looking at the direction where she had been looking at, I saw that she had been...looking at my baby photos that were sitting on the mantle. Great, things can get worse. And these weren't the baby pictures where the child was doing something like making sand castles at the beach or playing with friends. No, these were those embarrassing pictures of me in the bathtub or with some of my teeth missing in school pictures. Thanks Mom, you have completely ruined my chances with the ladies.

“Hey, Brad, how are you?” she asked.

“I’m fine. Is there something you needed? Do you need to talk to Terry, because he…”

She shook her head. “No, no I know where Terry is. He’s the one who sent me here. He wanted me to make sure you werent dead or something.”

“Well, I’m very much alive, please, tell him I’m alright.” I went to head back up to my room, but a tug on my arm pulled me back.

“He also wanted me to tell you one more thing.” she continued, “Should you decide to be a hunter, your brother has instructed me to personally train you.” Wait, you had to tell me that now? When I’m supposedly sick? ‘Cause that makes perfect sense, right? “And if you so desire, that training can begin today. You don't look too sick to me.”

But this is a big decision, you know? Becoming a vampire hunter. Especially since, you know, I happen to be part of the species they want to fricken slaughter. However, being with the hunters could have its advantages. I could save the vampires, and my own hide, from being killed. Because let's face it, the world can't live without this face in it. Common sense.

Downside is that they find out what I am and kill me. Thats about the only downside I can think of, really. So you know what, I’m going to do it. Consequences be damned! I dont want to let my brother down.

I looked Jackie in the eyes. “I’m ready.”



© 2015 Ellay


Author's Note

Ellay
The underlined parts represent a point of view.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

69 Views
Added on July 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015


Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay