Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Ellay

“Elizabeth, come back! Mother will scold you for running in the cornfield in your best dress!” The boy said as he ran after his sister, Elizabeth.

“Oh, pish, it fine. Don't worry, Tom, I’ll be careful.”

“Careful, nothing! You are the most clumsy person in the world, you are.” It was right after school, and the two siblings were taking a shortcut through the forest. Tom, who wasn't the thinnest stalk in the field, was running after his little sister. She was much smaller, her auburn locks flowing out from behind her head.

She stopped to let her brother catch up. “Tom, you're no fun! Don't you ever want to go on adventures? See the rest of the world?!”

“No, not really. Besides, the queen would never permit it.” 8 years earlier, the queen’s daughter was accused of doing witchcraft. That pretty much broke the queen, making her a hateful person, setting strict rules.

“What the queen doesn't know won't hurt her! Now, c’mon, mothers making pizza for dinner.” You may be wondering why there was something as modern as pizza in such a place. Everything else seems so archaic, how everything’s a monarchy and girls wear dresses again. 100 years ago, a massive solar flare wiped out 3/4 of the population, bringing most people back to the stone age. Most resources were gone, wiped away. But those who remembered what was before adapted things to act as what there was. Pizza now is nothing more than a  cabbage leaf, covered in a spicy pepper sauce and goats cheese. Cows were long extinct, and wheat was the most expensive thing. Even buying one grain of wheat could make someone bankrupt.

The kids ran home, slamming the door behind them, even though it was considered rude. Mother was setting the table, their 4 year old brother Sam sitting at the table already. He was playing with his fork, banging it around on the table.

“Hon, stop playing with your utensils. They’re already hard to come by.” Unlike 100 years ago, utensils were now made of wood, and bad wood at that. New utensils had to be cut every day by the men in the kingdom and sent to people’s houses for 20 twojurs a utensil. Those who knew the actually currency, what were called “dollars”, say this is about $5. I hear that was once cheap, but now cost an entire paycheck.

“We’re home mother, how has your day been?” Tom asked. Always the polite one. Kissing up to mother, doing all of his chores. Never has he once missed picking corn in the fields or going to the grand market to sell corn pie.

“The same. Cleaning clothing, selling pies to buy the utensils.”

“Why don't we just use our hands? Utensils cost so much...”

Mothers eyes widened. “How could you say that? The queen would kill us. Manners are a major thing, here, my dear. Now sit and eat, before you're pizza gets cold.” The smell, though repugnant, could not be detected by humans. Humans senses had been dulled, making the worst smelling food taste and smell appetizing. This caused the sense of sight to be heightened, as well as hearing and touch. Many people found this useful; they could eat whatever they could and not taste or smell how bad it could sobe. Only those who could...perform witchcraft could taste and smell in full.

Elizabeth sat down, feeling dejected. All she had wanted in life was to be different. Not witchcraft different, but different in the way only regular people could be. Like different hair color or eye color. Everyone in the world had auburn hair and brown eyes; the only thing that set them apart was their gender and height. All Elizabeth wanted was to run away to see her Father. You see, all the men past the age of 20 were sent to the land beyond the mountain, otherwise known as army camp. All men were to be put in the army to fight what was out “there”. Elizabeth had always wondered what was out there. Another land? Hell? All she knew was that it as dangerous and was not to be journeyed to without proper protection.

“How was school, my children?” Mother asked as she placed the meal on the table. Thomas eagerly grabbed a slice; this was his favorite food, something only made once a month.

“Fine I guess. Teacher taught us about the crops that once lived. Apparently, there was this thing called brussel sprouts. Sounds interesting.” After the Blow, what people called the sun flares, most of the crops went extinct, along with many other food sources. Water sources dried up, leaving people to find something new to drink. They started experimenting with juices from the remaining plants, creating a substance that could sustain the body like water. No one knew what it was made of. Everyone was kept in a state of ignorance, not knowing what half the things they did were. Mother was a Curfer, once a week she was brought in front of the Grand Curfer to present herself. Most people think Curfers are the sex slaves of them, but Mother would never answer if any of her children ever asked.

“Yes, well, don't worry yourself about them now. They are long gone, they are.” Everyone dug into their food, keeping quiet throughout the entire meal. Talking when eating was prohibited; it was rude and annoying according to the queen. When everyone was done, Elizabeth quietly crept into her room and plopped down on her bed. 12 hours at school was no easy feat. It was the same drill everyday; Get up at 6:30 am, go to school for 12 hours and arrive home at 6:30 pm and do homework and eat, then sleep.  The entire population never argued with these rules; they were what they were. But Elizabeth thought they were stupid, where’s the fun in all of that? She wanted to have some fun with her school acquaintances. Not go to school until she was 17 and learn about things were until she was qualified for a job!

“Liz, have you done your homework?” Tom asked from the other side of the door. He is such a stickler for the rules Liz thought. He never once got in trouble with anyone and his teachers praised him. Everyone thought Sam would grow up just like him.

“Doing it now. Go away.” Every time she started doing her homework, he would come and make sure she was doing it. He would eyeball her and fix all of her mistakes so she wouldn't ruin his good reputation. He had graduated the year before, leaving his little sister to follow in his footsteps.

“I need to talk to you.”

“Why? New Job  isn't up to you're standards? I thought you wanted to be a Packer.” A packer was the name for the job where you further your education to become a scholar or someone.  This was one of the few known jobs, all the other ones were to be kept secret. It was also one of the ones where the men didn't have to go to training.

“No, nothing like that. Its amazing. But its about Dad.” Elizabeth immediately ran to the door and opened it up. She was the closest to Father before he left. He would come back from his job as a Fleeter and bring her little carvings that she still kept preserved on her shelf. Her favorite was of a mountain with stuff called snow on top, and it was beautiful.  

“What is it?”

Tom sat on the bed and looked at the floor. “He’s....dead.” Liz fell to the floor and burst into tears.

“HOW?!” She said between sobs.

Tom looked ready to cry, but it wasn't in his nature. He was strong, not army strong, but strong in resilience. “He went to battle some peasants who stole bread from the market and one had a spear. Stuck right between the shoulder blades, that old codger did. They’re bringing his body for burial tomorrow morning. School has been cancelled for you.” And with that, he walked out, his steps stopping at one point as if he was debating on going back. Then they just kept going.

Liz laid down on her bed, head in her hands crying her eyes out. How could someone kill such a kind soul? Why hadn't the Gods protected him? Questions swam in her head until she felt a presence beside her. She looked over and Sam was lying next to her, tears flowing down his cheeks. All of a sudden, he flung his arms around her and they both cried their eyes out. While Sam had barely known his Father, they still had been somewhen close when he periodically came to visit. He too received carvings. The last one he ever got was of an owl thing. A brilliant bird, Father had said. Keep it close, he said, for it will guide you through the darkest of times. But not this time. No matter how hard Sam had clung to his statuette, Daddy had not come back.

“Sam, its okay. He’s in a better place.”

“I want him back!!! I want DADDY!” He clung even tighter, his hair tickling her face. No matter how hard the tears fell, nothing could ever make him come back, nothing could stop the pain. While Mother was nice, she didn't have the personality Father had. He had a fire still in him that screamed that help would one day come and things would get better. Mother never believed anything would happen, and tried to ingrain it in our minds to keep us out of trouble. It never worked on Liz though. She had an unbreakable bond with her father, a love untainted. He put a smile on her face. Now she was sure she would never smile again. Suddenly, there was a knock on the door. Mother was standing there in her tattered old dress, no sign of any sadness or tears.

“Get to bed, both of you. While you may not have school, I will keep you busy.” And with that, she walked off. Did  Mother not care?! How could she? This wasn't an arranged marriage, it was one of love. Until now. Now the truth was revealed.

“Does Mommy hate Daddy?” Sam said between sniffles.

“No. Mommy is just as sad as we are. Don't worry Sam, we’ll be okay.” But Liz knew they wouldn't. Life wouldn't be the same without knowing that Father could come home any day to visit. And they never gave up hope that he would come; they would wait years just to see him for ten minutes.

“But Dad’s not coming back! I miss him so much. We barely got to see him!” He only came for 2 days, then left. Once a year this happened, and it was torture for them.

“I know, I know. But he would want us to be strong, to let go. We have to respect that.” But she knew she never could. She would wallow in her sorrow forever, or so it seemed that way to her. Tom knocked on the door, signaling that it was time to go to bed. Sam got up and wiped at his tears then walked away. Liz sat up, wiping away her own tears. Something told her things would change.

Her whole life would turn upside down

~

“Get up! Time to harvest!” Mother said from outside the door. Liz slowly got up, wiping away the grime that had crusted around her eyes. I must have fallen asleep she thought.  How was that even possible? What happened..was terrible! But Father would have wanted her to move on. No use dwelling on what could never have been prevented, he always said. And she was determined to fulfill his wishes. She got up, changed into her farming dress, then joined her mother out in the back field. Mother was already weeding the corn fields. Liz picked up a basket and began to collect the corn that was ripe. She quickly glanced over at the Border. Not the army camp border, but the border to somewhere else. Everyone who went there never came back. Monsters, some people say. But Liz believed it to be the home of the witches and wizards, the most feared people in the world.

“Stop day dreaming. That won't help pick corn, now will it?” Mother said. Sometimes Liz hated her mother. Always telling her to just go pick the corn, pick the corn! Why couldn't she do something different? At least they could plant something other than corn, at least potatoes! She knew there were only so many crops that survived the Blaze, but still! Corn?!

“Yes, Mother.” She began to pick up the pace, hoping when it was done her Mother would let her go back to her room. She wanted, no she needed, to finish her drawing. For the past two weeks, Liz had been drawing a painting of something. She didn't know what, but it had been in her dreams, and she knew it was special. She didn't dare tell anyone about it; they might think she was a witch! They would kill her for sure. So she kept it secret, hid it under a loose floorboard. It was strange though. It depicted this almost clear fluid, more blue than anything. The sun looked like it was being cut in half by it, and the sky was a beautiful pink-orange color. She looked up at the morning sky now. A almost brown color. So dull. So...boring. Why couldn't it be the pink-orange?

Suddenly, Sam came running out of the house, tears once again streaming down his face. “Mommy, mommy! They want to take me!” He ran into Liz’s arms, clasping tightly around her waist. He was shaking uncontrollably, sobbing into her dirty old dress.

“What are you talking about, Samuel? Get off your sister!” her Mother snapped. She had never seen Mother this never before. It was almost...scary.

Sam attempted to speak between sniffles. “Men came and said they need me for army! I’m not old! Please don't let them!” He tried to run over to Mother, but she pushed him off her. So much for motherly love. That apparently went down the drain long ago.

Ten men came around from the front, each wielding a sword, freshly sharpened.

“Mrs.Corlette, we are truly sorry for your loss,” one of the soldiers said, “But, as you well know, we need another to take your husbands place. And seeing that you're eldest son is a scholar and therefore too valuable, we shall take the next oldest son. Samuel Corlette here shall do just fine, even for a mere lad.” Elizabeth couldn't comprehend what he just said. They wanted to take her four year old brother for the army?! But surely that was too young? He could barely hold himself up, much less a sword of all things!

“Well, I’m sorry, sir, but Sam is too young to join.” Mother said calmly. How could she be calm Liz thought. Surely a Mother would go through hell to protect her youngest son? But obviously that isn't the case.

“There is no such thing as too young. He can obviously run and  talk quite well for his age. Valuable for the army. Now hand him over, or we will make you.” He held out a hand. Liz felt like that was the hand of death, coming to make a trade that was horrible if they took it or if they didn't. If they took it, her brother would be practically sentenced death. If they didn't, he would get hurt anyway, and so would the rest of them.Mother gingerly pushed her young son foward, showing no signs of regret or anguish. But those feelings were showing plainly on Liz’ face. She hated Mother more than she ever hated anything now. Before she could witness the hand-off, she ran inside and once again curled up on her bed, sobbing ever so quietly now. Why did life have to hate her? She had been obedient, praying every day. But in the end, NOTHING! Life was out to get her, just like the bullies in school picked on the weak. In this case, she was the kid cowering in the corner, begging for mercy while life was the bully, standing tall and proud over what he had done to someone so helpless. It sickened her to the marrow of her bone.

A soft knock on her door startled her from her stupor of sadness. A soft voice, barely inaudible, was heard from the door.

“I did what had to be done.” her Mother said, then she was gone. Just like that. Liz wanted to scream at the unfairness of it all. How could she?!

She was going to get her brother back. Even if it was the last thing she ever did.

She would not become her mother and sit back and watch life pound us with a hammer.

Liz was going to risk everything to save something that meant the world to her.



© 2015 Ellay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

97 Views
Added on July 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015


Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay