Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Ellay

Liz attempted to run away. Surely this guy was crazy. Witch?! She would never be anything like that! But the guy clamped his arm on her shoulder and pulled her back. She knew what he was talking about! He was talking about the person for magic users! Well, she was going nowhere!

“Get your hands off me! I’m no witch!” He picked her up with one hand and looked into her eyes. She could see the fury behind his brown eyes, but he kept it steady.

“No! I’m doing this to keep you safe Elizabeth! Please hear me out.”

“How do you know my name?! Let me go!” She tried to wiggle out of his grip, but to no avail. It was like trying to rip iron off of her. She just hung there in his hand like a rag doll. She hated the feeling; it had become a daily occurrence lately. Being helpless, being held back by others.

“My dear, please stop struggling? Miss Anya, will you please make her stop!” Liz’s eyes widened in fear. The queens daughter was here?! She knew they were trying to kill her. The queens daughter had cursed her mother and then disappeared into the night, never to be seen again. She is an evil witch, and everyone knew it.

A shadow in the corner of a next door room suddenly moved and suddenly, the girl that appeared in her dreams was standing there in a light blue dress. Her unusually long black hair was wavy, cascading down her back. Liz had never seen anything like this, it was truly an oddity.

“Gordo, stop terrorizing the poor girl. I was in her position once too, and it isnt a pleasant experience. Now, please put her down.” To Liz, this day kept getting weirder and weirder. First, the Queen shows a liking to her. Next thing she knows, Anya Manalis is being nice to her. She must be dreaming! Gordo let go of her, but Liz was too stunned to even think about running away. “Hi! My name’s Anya, Anya Manalis. And you must be Elizabeth Corlette. Pleasure to meet you.” She held out her hand to shake, but Liz didn't take it. She didn't know what diseases witches could pass on.

“I already know who you are, Ms.Manalis. Everybody does.” Liz said threateningly.

“Do you really believe all those stupid rumors about me? That I almost killed my Mother and then fled! Quite the opposite, I will tell you.”

“Anya,” Gordo said from behind Liz, “We have to get going. They’ll be here any second!”  Anya took Liz’s hand and started to run towards one of the rooms, but Liz wouldn't budge. She wouldn't leave until both her brothers were by her side.

“C’mon! You heard Gordo! We have to go!”

“No! I’m not going anywhere until my brothers are with me!” She said forcefully. She had to make her point! Her brothers meant the world to her, and Thomas had also risked his life coming here; she had to get him to safety. “Get my brothers, and then I’ll think about letting you take me to wherever.”

“Where are they, we’d be happy to go get them.” Anya said in a calm voice.

“Thomas is in the dungeon, Sam is...in the army camp.”

“Oh, well thats a problem. Gordo, please go fetch Mr.Thomas for us. I’ll find a way to go get Sam.”

Gordo ran towards the ballroom, disappearing around a corner. Anya turned towards Liz, a worried look appearing on her face so suddenly that it took Liz by surprise. Why would an evil witch even care about her brother? She probably ate children for breakfast!

“Now, tell me everything you can about this brother of yours. Age, appearance, everything down to the last detail.”

“Why do I need to tell you anything? For all I know, you’ll kill him. And I can't let you do that.”

Anya lightly touched her on the arm, trying to calm her down. She had never met anyone so protective of anyone in their family. Well, actually, she could recount a few. But something tragic happened to them, so she didn't even like to think about it.

“I understand you're caution, Elizabeth. But I’m here to help you, not hurt you. Please tell me everything and to the best of my capability, I will help you. Cross my heart.” And she did exactly that. She crossed her heart and shared a sympathetic look with Liz, almost as if she knew what she was going through.

“Okay, but if you do anything to them, I swear...”

“I won’t. Now, please, tell me a bit about him. But first, we should go into a room. Don't want to overheard, you know.” She ducked into a side room, and closing the door once they were both inside. Anya sat down on an old couch, and Liz took the one across from her. She began her description by saying his age, appearance, everything down to the littlest detail, such as the birthmark on his shoulder. Anya listened quietly, only showing an emotion when his age was mentioned. She must have been as surprised as Liz; how could they take a six year old little boy?

“Interesting. So you say Samuel was taken to the army camp two years ago. That is not good. We will have to wait to get him then. I’m terribly sorry.” Liz wanted to slap this chick. She said she could get her brothers, and then she turns around and says she can't. How dare she!

“Then no deal. I refuse to go with you liars!”

“We never said we would never get him. I’m just as worried about him as you are. But we need backup, and I know exactly where to get it. Please, trust us. You’ll not regret it.” Liz considered it. These people seemed okay, but you never know. The queen seemed trustworthy, but that was all a ruse. Everyone knows she is wicked.

“Explain this place you’re taking me too.”

“Its called Lencourt. It is just over the wall, a few miles east. Its composed of twenty two buildings, twenty of them schools, the other two dorms. Its a school for...magic users. Now, please don't freak out. We’re not monsters. The only monster is the queen. Her lies ruined my life, turned it upside down. Once she was loving. Now...she is the monster. Witches and wizards try to protect the mortals, although sometimes it may look like our fault. You must believe me, or the queen will kill you. She already has a suspicion that you are one. The only safe place is with us. We will do everything to get your brother back.” Elizabeth sat back in her chair, taking it all in. She couldn't believe it.  A witch. She was a witch. This day couldn't get any worse. Next thing you know, she’ll be a flying goat!

“I’m not going to you're prison, and you can't make me!”Liz said as she stood up, ready to fight if necessary.

“Prison? You mean Gris? No, no, that is not what I mean. Lencourt is a school, twenty to be precise. You’ll get chosen, learn, grow. You will be able to do powerful things.” Anya felt like she had to show this girl; she was skeptical of everything and everyone. She fished her scrying bowl from her robe pocket and placed it on the table. She closed her eyes and used her ten years of training to create water in the small bowl.  The look of surprise almost amused her, it was quite comical. She quickly drank the water and replaced the bowl in her pocket; she couldn't leave evidence that she was there. “Proof enough?”

“What the hell was that?”

“What you might know as witchcraft. We call it magic, you probably know it as that as well. Not many people call it magic, but you have. Why is that?”

Liz wanted to keep silent, but something about this girl made her feel open. Like a book. “My Father. He...was...a wizard. He hated it, made sure we grew up knowing that using magic ruins lives. He called it magic, and witchcraft. Mother called it witchcraft. She didn't know Father used magic. No one ever found out, though. But it didn't matter anyway, he’s dead.” Anya almost choked on the water. Her Father was a wizard?! She was told by a telepathic witch that it was her Mother that was a witch, not her Father. Something was not right, but they couldn't get into it here. They had a deadline, and it was approaching soon. But she did have to address that something was wrong. She didn't want to create the illusion that everything was fine.

“Liz, are you sure...” Anya was cut off by the door bursting open, revealing Gordo and Thomas lingering behind him, both out of breath.

“Anya, we must go! The guards know something is wrong. My ruse must have failed. But we have no time. Its now or never. Is she coming?”

“It is up to her. Liz, please, come. You will be safe.” She held out a hand. Liz started to think it over, but Gordo was right. She could hear the distant sound of armor clinking. There was little to no time. She took Anya’s hand, and a bright smile appeared on her face.

Liz knew she was going to either love her choice, or regret it deeply.

~

They ran.

Liz felt like her muscles were burning, but she couldn't stop. They were almost to the wall. Anya was up in front, her dress fanning out behind her. Thomas lagged in the back, the extra 50 pounds weighing him down. Gordo tried to stay with him, but Gordo was obviously in much better shape. Liz was a good runner, but Anya obviously ran as a living.

“Just another 50 feet, you can just see the wall.” And they could. A tall structure made from stone, the wall towered over everything except the castle. Nothing could be seen from beyond the walls; not even from the top of the castle, there were no windows. Anya knew why it was so. So that the people couldn't see the beautiful schools just beyond it. It would tempt too many people to go to them. And the queen didn't want to be reminded that she didn't rule over everyone.

They finally reached a small door, almost invisible, in the wall’s structure. Anya slowly opened the stone door, Gordo helping her. On the other side was something Liz had never seen before in such large quantities.

Grass. Actual, real life, grass. And it was green! She wanted to kneel down and feel it run through her fingers, but knew that if they didn't get a move on, they would get caught. And while she didn't know Gordo as well, Anya seemed like a decent person, and she would most likely die if she was found. She didn't wish one of the queen’s punishments on anybody. They were truly terrible. No one ever came back. No one survived.

She started to run again, until they hit a copse of the things from Thomas’s picture. The two siblings looked at each other.

“Is that...”Liz asked.

“Yes. The things from my dream. But what are they?”

Anya laughed, almost like their ignorance was amusing. “Tree’s. They’re called tree’s. You're tree’s are much different from these ones; yours have no beautiful leaves and full trunk. They’re spindly little things, withered and dying. Now, please, close the door. They are close.” Thomas and Liz immediately closed the door. They could hear footsteps on the other side, splitting up from the confusion. They closed the door just in time.

“Well, thats done. Now can we go back to the school?” Gordo asked. Liz was confused about this. Wasn't the child supposed to ask the elder, not the other way around?

“Yes, we shall. Are you guys ready?” She turned to the siblings. They were still undecided; they just met these people and they wanted them to go with them to who knows where!

“Yup.” Thomas said before Liz could even talk about it. She turned to her brother, an incredulous look on her face. She couldn't believe her brother! Suddenly he made the decisions for her. But almost, she was glad she didn't have to say anything. She couldn't decide; she was caught between a rock and a hard place.

Anya smiled her signature smile, then turned towards the tree’s and ran towards them. Gordo followed her and Tom once again picked up the rear. Elizabeth almost felt happy; she felt like she might be able to form a new life here. New experiences. Maybe even friends! She had never had friends. Everyone she was acquainted with we're much smarter and looked down on her. Anya slowed down so she could talk to her. She could practically hear the gears working in Liz’s brain.

“What are you thinking about?”

“What is it like there? Are there a lot of people? Are they nice? Do they..”

“Woah, woah, one question at a time Speedy Gonzalez.”

Liz had never heard that before. “Excuse me?”

Anya had almost forgotten she wasn't at Lencourt. This girl would be a good friend, and sometimes she forgot that she didn't live in Lencourt. “Nevermind. But there are approximately 2,000 witches and wizards there. Haven't met them all so I can't you if they're all nice. But the few I know are nice; Hanna, Emily, Will, lots more. But, just a warning, stay away from Carta Bretteville. Total diva.”

Liz nodded, not sure how to answer. She was so conflicted right now, she was barely listening. She felt like she would doubt her decision forever.

“Hey, cheer up. We’re almost there. Just a little further.” And, true to her word, Liz and the rest finally made it to a large open clearing, covered in huge buildings. Liz could only stare at them and gawk; they towered over everything, even the castle! Thomas took her hand, also in shock. He had never seen something like this. Not even in his books!

“Home sweet home! Now, come, there is a big feast all planned.” Before she could even take on step, a girl of about 15 or 16 came running up to them. She had extremely dark skin, darker even than Anya’s. and she had black hair. Her dress was small and plain, a brown dress with no poof to the bottom. But that didn't steer anyone away from the fact that she was pretty in her own way.

“What happened? I sense something is not right. Anya, what happened?” She stopped in front of Anya. Anya leaned in to whisper; she didn't want the others to know this. Gordo would freak and, and she knew telling the two siblings would upset them.

“Something is not right, Lulu. Elizabeth claims their Father was the wizard, not the Mother. I trust you more than them, but I’m so discombobulated right now....”

Lulu patted Anya’s shoulder. “I may not be an Empathy witch, but I know you're conflicted. Don't have to tell me twice. But I know what I know, and their Mother was a witch. Not the Father. And they think their Father is dead as well. Anya, I..”

“You know, we know you're talking about us. Its no use keeping secrets. Spit it out!” Liz said to them. She was getting really aggravated with all these secrets. She wanted the actual, factual, truth.

Lulu and Anya glanced at each other, debating whether or not it would be smart to tell them. But Anya knew they had to tell them, they were bound to find out some time.

“Liz, Thomas, I know this may come as a shocker, but....the people who you think are your parents....aren't really your parents.”   


© 2015 Ellay


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

100 Views
Added on July 3, 2015
Last Updated on July 3, 2015


Author

Ellay
Ellay

NY



About
I'm a young human interested in writing, not as a career, but as a hobby This is a little bit about me I'm now a senior in high school, after having started this account when I was a sophomore. Sc.. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Ellay