Rusty Smile

Rusty Smile

A Chapter by YouoweYoupay
"

Dr. Dolittle would have been proud -well, kinda-

"

 

 

I-----I

I-----------I

I-------------------I

 

Chapter (2): Rusty Smile 

 I-------------------I

I-----------I

I-----I

 

 

 

I had been looking forward to make utmost use of the thrilling three days in the woods with my friends. I glanced at the overfed satchel resting by my navy-blue bicycle, not daring to move one inch from the spot beneath my slightly shaky feet.

My mother had been sulking on me over a stupid jar of apple-jam, Ali and the rest of Dujaun's bunch were growing sick of me holding them back from embarking on their grand camping trip, and a discontented looking Husky by Madam Shams' old shack was growling defensively at me because…

…wait because I did what? Okay, so if my fine morning of early spring hadn't already gotten worse, it had now.

Was its snooze disturbed by the phone call I had a few minutes ago? Maybe it had its eyes on the dying baby-bird I just buried… So, not all Huskies are agreeable like ones adults keep by their sledges?

The first chilly breeze fondled the longish locks of my hair, proclaiming the hesitant return of December's Ghost.

I just guessed it was this type of dogs who simply didn’t like me, and wouldn't think twice about informing me. But, me being who I am, I still had faith in the idea of 'spiritually' communicating with animals.

Because originally, I thought, softening the jagged lump frozen in my throat, we were all created from the same bit of earth.

"Hey," I spoke to the shifty creature, sounding more petrified than friendly, as I took a few short steps towards it, slowly lifting up the jar in one hand, my gaze never breaking from its dominant eyes. "No need to be alarmed, alright? I'm-I'm just here to deliver this jar, and I'll be on way right after that."

Dr. Dolittle would have been proud -well, kinda- because it seemed to be working. The Husky hushed down the growl, so I definitely thought it was a good sign, even when its tail still stood up, and its frown remained.

Did it really understand what I just said?

The unyielding, baby-blue shade in its eyes made it appear intelligent enough.

I kept the show running anyway, "You know," I sniggered, "it doesn't even taste that good. I feel sorry for the old la-" my ears were stunned and I slightly flinched at the sudden bark.

Okay, maybe that was "too much" communication, I thought, my marginal eyes glancing once at the old shack behind me. I wasn't adventurous enough to be chased all around the block, so I just turned around and dashed straight to the black gate. Whatever creepy surprises Madam Shams had for me in there, it wouldn't be as bad as picturing how that dog's spiny set of teeth might grate my flesh. I glimpsed back at the angry creature behind me as I ran and my body bumped into firmly locked metal.

Huh!? How it could be locked when my feet stepped past the open gate and into the orchard just a minute ago, I thought, my hands ineffectively shaking and pushing the cold, metal bars. I looked back again, my eyes widening with a small gasp at the speeding dog.

Luckily, my responses were a fraction faster than its prancing paws. I jumped clinging to the crown of the black gate with my arms, one leg sliding to the other side of it, hugging the jar in between my inner elbow and chest, heaving myself upwards with all the might my skinny figure possessed.

My back painfully crushed onto the wet earth with a thud and I heard something break near my head.

"Ai…" I slightly moaned, wincing at the faraway roof of cloudy sky, gasping in amazement again at the shadow of the Husky taking a leap closer to the gate. My legs scrambled against the earth and my palms and arms gave me a quick push up and forward just to be bounced back and down onto the soil again by a round body of flesh.

"Get out of here! Shoo!" A tarnished female voice called as my eyes traced up the figure of an old lady, with short snow white hair crested with a dark purple hat, waving a strongly scented limb of forest green leaves in her hand.

Madam Shams?

The Husky whimpered once, instantly retreating away.

The tang of those leaves filled up my nostrils, the air in my chest rapidly shrunk and coughs spawned out of my throat.

"Are you hurt, dear?" She turned around, laying down her free hand.

"N-No," I said in between the stifled coughs, taking the wrinkled hand offered to me. Those leaves must have been some powerful stuff, because even my lungs couldn't bear the peppery zest surrounding them, and the old lady, aware of that, tossed the green limb further.

"Thank you. That was really close." I sighed, my eyebrows slightly rising and my cavity inhaling fresher air. I hastily swept my clothes with my palms, "Are you Madam Shams?"

"Yes." She answered, brushing the bit of dust on my shoulder, "Who are you, young man?" she asked, warmly smiling.

At least she looked like a normal senior human being, I thought.

"I'm Jad, Esra Ayman's eldest son…" I said, pausing right after. Her eyes stared vacantly.

How else was I supposed to remind her?

"You know, the woman who stopped by for tea two days ago?" I detailed, my eyes worriedly scanning the spot for the jar.

"Ah, I remember" she said, smiling again, -phew- and lightly rubbed her chin, motioning my head with her other hand, "The same, blue hair." The blue-black blend of hair color ran in the family, from ma's side I meant, both Nara and I displayed this gene. "Esra, my sweet, new friend! Is she doing well?"

I crossed my eyebrows in disappointment at the sight of a broken glass container with most of the apple-jam dappling out on the soil.

"I was supposed to give you that," I said scratching the back of my neck as I motioned the jar with my open palm, "it was some sort of a welcoming gift from my mother. But that madcap of a Husky scared the s**t out of me."

Did I just curse? Yeah, I did. And the old lady didn't seem bothered.

"No, no, it's quiet alright. I'll have Jameela clean it up later." she sighed taking a quick look at the announced murk of clouds. Her corroded voice sounded concerned. "The air is getting colder, just look at those slender, reddish hands of yours." I ignored her allusion about my masculinity, "Let's get you inside."

"In-inside?" I asked in an awkward, low tone, getting the feeling that "inside" would be far colder than out here, "No, sorry I need to be somewhere, my friend is--"

"Your friend can wait. Come along." She said, faintly nudging me in the back to walk forward.

--- --- ---

 

I took another unhurried sip from the white, flower-patterned English tea cup.

I know that sounded gay, but beneath my skin needed to reheat.

I didn't realize how cold my body was until the hot, sweet, green tea trickled down my throat.

Madam Shams had set the tea on the glass coffee table before me and said something about remembering a few things to do in the unseen backyard beyond the door beneath the staircase.

Although a funny smell would come and go from the kitchen open to the living room I sat in, and the drab silence harmonized with the sleepy ticks of the dark brown grandfather clock in the corner, the interior design of this house did not exceed the category of ordinary.

Dujaun! I internally wheezed once it flashed in my mind that he was still waiting. I jumped up on my feet again, searching both my pockets for my cell phone.

Ya salaam (great)…I must have lost it while I was clambering the gate.

"Mrs. Sh-- Madam Shams?" I said, the regular ticking of the clock meeting my call. "I really need to go now…"

Was she still working in that backyard? My clasp reluctantly reached to the doorknob under the staircase and turned it open.

Shrill sounds resounded into my ears and a pair of exotically colored wings anxiously flapped right above my head, "Ah!" I armored my face with both crossed arms.

"You should be more careful with that door." I heard Madam Shams' rusty, undisturbed voice, "Fai'naque dislikes strangers visiting unannounced."

My crossed arms uncovered my face and my eyes broadened at what landed by the old lady, who had her back turned at me, kneeling close to the ground; apparently busy tending some sort of a young plant.

"Yahh (wow)…" I exhaled in wonder at all the delicious tropical colors spattered on more than five similar, outsized but graceful, swan-like birds, leisurely gliding about on a cool, pure surface of the water pool further.

"Walad, (boy -informal)" Madam Shams called her elbow leaning on the shovel she fixed in the soil, "I'm too old to care for these egotistical peacocks and this hill might be frosted with all that white snow pretty soon. I need to get them into that shelter." She motioned the black curtained tent beyond the pool. "How 'bout giving me a hand?" her furrowed eyes curved up in a rusty smile.

"Y-Yes, Madam…" I gladly accepted.

Back then, I didn't care what stories people told about Madam Shams. They'd never really seen her kind smile, or more importantly, the wonderful pet paradise.

Meanwhile, a silver-coat cell phone was forgotten on the pavement, vibrating by the quiet pair of light-grey paws.



© 2012 YouoweYoupay


Author's Note

YouoweYoupay
Wow, uh, something I noticed while re-editing a dropped book is that my style of storytelling has developed and diverged an inch since the last time I wrote something. I'd blame it on the suspensful, yet a bit overrated Twilight Saga books (disclaimer**) But anway, uh, I did not stop liking my characters, because they still hold a piece of me. Uh, I polished a few edges, added a more natural feel to the conversations. Fantasy is esential for every dreamer, but if they don't go to a certain intention or purpose, the beauty of fantasy gets lost in all the insignificant details. Uhm, that's about it for this chapter. I welcome all comments and constructive critisism (wrong spelling, I'm aware) Enjoy. ^^

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your style of writing is odd yet somehow enticing to me. The bold, the italics, the regular type......you're maintaining that Balance, I must say. You maintain the other Balance nicely as well, just to tell you. It always feels like three different forms of dialogue are talking, not really full out description, but like description within the dialogue. It's taking me somewhere, I'm still just confused on where. nice write.
PBP

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I say it's intresting. and it's true you never really know someone unitl u soend one on one time with them. i learn that from experience. ^^

Posted 13 Years Ago


It sounds pretty good as it is now. However, I have no idea where you're going to go with this. Maybe that's a good thing?

Posted 13 Years Ago


Still like the lively action. There are some editing needs here, and I am not sure about the bold dialogue. Also the translations of some of the words distract me, take me out of the action. Not sure they are needed. It's annoying to have it explained even if I might not know the literal meaning. But will read more.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice vocabulary , and amazing description.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Alright. So I thought Blue Head or Jad was a girl in the first chapter. Maybe it was his love for animals and the way he buried the baby bird. It was so tender that I could not imagine a man doing it. I'm sorry.:) That's so wrong of me.:)

Now on to the review. I like the magical feel your writing has. For some reason I am always anticipating something crazy and bizarre to happen. Why is that? I get a feeling that you have some surprises in store and I can't wait to find out what.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Language is amazing. The story is getting better. I like the interaction of the character. Interesting conversation and situation you create in this chapter. A very good chapter.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


Your style of writing is odd yet somehow enticing to me. The bold, the italics, the regular type......you're maintaining that Balance, I must say. You maintain the other Balance nicely as well, just to tell you. It always feels like three different forms of dialogue are talking, not really full out description, but like description within the dialogue. It's taking me somewhere, I'm still just confused on where. nice write.
PBP

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I like it. It has a good pace. You are talented in your descriptiveness. I like the way you paint the picture just enough but not too much. You leave enough room for my imagination to blend with your creation! Great chapter, I look forward to reading more : )

Posted 13 Years Ago


keep it up! it's always nice to read something that isn't a poem lol and this book is just so interesting it makes me want to read more so write more!

Posted 13 Years Ago


Dearest Wella,
You know I don't generally read chapters, because of my obvious short attention span, but.. in this case, I was intrigued so much by the first chapter that I had to read this one as well, further, I am looking forward to the next! I like you little author notes explaining words that I obviously don't know... it helps simple me figure out what is going on.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

577 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 11, 2010
Last Updated on September 28, 2012
Tags: snow, love, story, adventure, fantasy, hate, war, drama, angst, chapter, snowdrop, fiction, magic, yaoi


Author

YouoweYoupay
YouoweYoupay

Amman, ..., Jordan



About
"The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms." ~Muriel Rukeyser "There is no one more rebellious or attractive than a person lost in a book." “He allowed himself to be swayed by his con.. more..

Writing
Garden Garden

A Poem by YouoweYoupay



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


1001 Lies 1001 Lies

A Poem by Bubo


Tacenda Tacenda

A Poem by Bubo