Chapter 1- New beginnings

Chapter 1- New beginnings

A Chapter by WoLf

During the mid winters in the Rockies of Colorado, the wolf pack of the meadows lay silent as usual. The snow had just dusted the ground in the meadow leaving it quite dry. It was a special time, Serina and James’s pup would soon come. It was odd to see such a development this late in the year. The whole wolf pack knew about the event, many were quite interested in seeing this. James was a grey and black coated wolf with a small bit of silver on his chest and brown eyes. Serina was a pure white wolf with glossy blue eyes. James provided enough food. Hunting this time of year was very difficult as the herds of deer were never about in the cold. Rarely the wolves could find some fish under the ice frozen ponds, this is what they had been living off of. The long winter dragged on and Serina’s food supply was starting to run low. James had noticed this. He started his way out the cave when he heard “where you off to”? James looked back “you are low on fish”. “But there is a terrible storm out there” she said worriedly. “I'll be fine” he replied. She did not like it but James would probably be alright. He stepped outside into a heavy blizzard. The cold stung his eyes but he continued on pushing through the snow. He passed through the meadow in which they lived with the rest of the pack. Snow hung over the other caves like a giant blanket. James walked over past the meadow and into the nearby woods; on the far end of the woods there was a pond that until now had not froze but now it had become a frozen block of ice. James arrived at the pond and stared down at the fish. While he contemplated on how to get the fish, James felt someone watching him.  His ears pricked and he turned around, “nothing”. He slowly turned back to the pond but before he did he saw something. James ran for a nearby snow covered bush and slipped around the side to hide. What was it, a bear, a moose? James slowly peeked around the bush. He looked around the pond trying to see what he thought saw. There appeared to be nothing but then two humans began walking out from a group of trees. Both of them were wearing some kind of leathery material and both wielded guns. James had heard the stories. Humans with long sticks known as guns, chased down wolves and shot and killed them with these “guns”. They appeared to be tall men with these small beanie hats. One was crouched down while one was standing and looking around. The one stood up. James slowly pulled his head back around the bush. “Why are humans so close to the meadow”, he thought. He looked back; the humans were coming right at him. “They will run right into the meadow I’ve got to warn the others”.  He knew he would have to run but he waited. Their voices got louder their footsteps grew closer. They were now right behind the bush. “I saw it shoot behind here”! James shot from the bush so fast that the human behind the bush was scared into falling over. James didn’t look back and kept running. He heard a gunshot pass by his ears. He heard more voices carrying over the distance. “More humans”? He said to himself. “They can’t keep up this chase for long” he thought. “Humans are too slow”. The trees around him parted and he arrived back at the meadow. His first thought was to head strait to his mate Sarina.

 

 He had dashed in through the opening of his cave and called out Sarina’s name loudly in a panicked voice. She had been lying down until James came in “what is it? What happened”? she asked standing up.  “Humans in the woods, they have guns”! he said. Serina looked terrified. “Near here”? she asked, James nodded. “They were heading in this direction when they gave chase to me” Sarina looked worried and she tried to gather her thoughts. “But what about our pup, we can’t just leave”. “We’ll have to leave along with everybody else, I’ll alert Arnoue”. Arnoue was a black and grey wolf with yellowish brown eyes that was quite old but still had lots of power and was the pack leader. James ran outside into the blizzard. James came to the to the edge of the woods under some snowy bushes.  Peeking inside he saw that Arnoue was lying down in a small patch of grass. “Arnoue” James shouted. Arnoue was startled by the sudden arrival of James. In a calm but raspy voice Arnoue asked “what is it”? I spotted armed humans at the foot of the woods, they saw me and started a chase but I lost them”. This is a very interesting turn of events as well as a turning point in our lives here”. Arnoue said. “What do you mean”? James asked. “We must leave the meadow, our home, it’s not safe” the humans will be here soon”. “I will rally the others”.  The two moved to the middle to the meadow were Serina was waiting. Arnoue moved to his small spot in the middle in the meadow. Rearing back his head he howled alerting the other wolves. They slowly made their way out of their dens and to the meeting spot. Most of them seemed tired. Bruce, a medium sized gray wolf seemed to be on high alert. “What is going on, are we hunting”? He asked frigidly. “No I don’t think so” said another wolf. Arnoue spoke as calmly as possible; “I have brought all of you here because of an event”. “What event”? “What is it”? “Is it bad”? All these questions were stopping him from continuing. “Stop it all of you”! James shouted. “Thank you James, now to continue.  James found some humans near the foot the woods and their coming this way we will have to leave the meadow. What?! Shouted uproars came from all over.  We can’t leave, we have nowhere to go. “I have learned of a place” Arnoue said among the shouts. All turned and looked at him expectantly. “There’s a place known as the Sierra that’s what the humans call it it’s a nice place and will suit us all”. “How far is it” Bruce asked. “Many miles to the far west”. James looked towards Serina next to him. “She is still carrying our son” he said to Arnoue. “We will stop on our journey when the time is right”. He said. Serina showed a worried look. “You’ll be fine James promised holding her paw in his. “Well then are we ready”? Arnoue asked. “Yes” everybody said. “Then we will be on our way”. They gathered into a large group. The pack headed into a blizzard fog while the humans flooded into the meadow searching around for the lost wolf.

 

The storm had caused a heavy snowfall and the ground was now towered in snow. The wolves tramped through the snow in their group sticking close together. James was very close to Serina. She grunted and stumbled James tried to help her up. Arnoue turned “is she okay”? He asked. “I think it’s time” Serina said getting to her feet. “Gather there in that small den” Arnoue said. He pointed his paw to a cave and the wolves slid in through a black opening lit only by the dim sunlight poking through the snowy air. “We will have to stay here until their pup is old enough to walk”, Arnoue said. The other wolves nodded and they all lay down on the floor with the exception of Bruce and a couple of others who simply sat and looked around. Serina laid on a soft spot in the corner of the cave. James was not far. She started breathing hard. “We must give them space, stay back”. Arnoue said. Serina started breathing harder.  In exasperation the others watched as her pup was born. “Congratulations”. Arnoue said. “So what’s his name”? One of the wolves asked. “Well”, James said “it’s up to you Serina” he said as he glanced at her. “Shadow”. She said “it fits him, due to his black fur”. Indeed Shadow was a black wolf obviously passed on by his father as well as his eyes shining green like an emerald. He shook about while Serina licked him clean. “Quite the feisty little one isn’t he”. James commented. Shadow rolled about on the floor of the cave. “Well, while the pup grows the storm will clear and soon winter will be over”. Arnoue said.

 

For several more weeks, the winter drug on. Finally, feeling that if they did not leave soon the humans would find them they decided it was time to continue the journey. Shadow was only twelve weeks old at the time and very rambunctious. When the wolves finally left their safe haven Shadow ran around the trees, sniffing in vacant rabbit holes, and annoying snowy owls by barking at them in their trees. All the activity in the snowy forest marked spring being not to far off even some waterways were no longer frozen. Birds chirped in the early mornings filling the air with sound. James and Serina found their son to be quite the troublemaker at times. He had almost fallen of a cliff one afternoon.  It was on a cold day when he started to slip after chasing a rabbit but Serina had gotten a hold of him before he fell. Since then he hasn’t been far from his parents.

 

The pack was traveling through a light forest where the snow lying heavily on the tree limbs started falling; landing on Shadow, his mother dug him out. Some of the rocks still had ice on them and most of the wolves slipped trying to climb on them.

 

Many more weeks passed yet the cold air of winter was everlasting. The wolves continued their journey gathering miles as they walked. Shadow had grown a great deal over the passing time getting bigger every day. As the evening grew cold the wolves became exhausted from their restless trekking over the mountains and hills spacing out among the forest. “We will stay here for the night”. Said Arnoue.  The pack had taken to lying in a small snow covered clearing during the night, wispy howls of the wind kept most of the wolves wide awake even though some of these howls were coming from other wolves unable to sleep. Shadow cocked his ears and listened then asked his mother “Why do we move around and not stay in one place like the other wolves”? Serina looked at him. “Because of humans”. She said with a sigh. “They drove us out of our home”. “Why would they do that”? Shadow asked. “They don’t understand I suppose I never really thought about it”. She said. “All I know is that humans can’t be trusted and that’s how it is”. Shadow looked away. “Well the moon is high”. “Get some rest Shadow”. She said. She then laid down to rest in a dark patch of dirt. “Humans”. Shadow thought and settled down with his mother.

 

The early morning sun rose over trees melting most of the snow. Birds were making their early morning chirps and cool air was finally broken with heat from the sun. The time had been settling into the end of winter with all sorts of life leaving their burrows and trees in search of food. A small ice drift still remained leaving the area with the plants frozen with frost. Shadow bumped around in the small snow patches with his parents treading along the forest trees. Arnoue kept up the pace until coming upon a river he slowly came to a stop with the others doing the same. Arnoue turned to the pack “we will have to swim our way across”. Serina looked to her side looking down to Shadow. “How will Shadow swim”? She whispered. James heard her “It’s all right I will help him”. “Now son what you need to do is….” James’ voice tapered off from where Serina could hear him. She didn’t care for the water especially this, a river and her son too what about him? Her worry kept her reluctantly at bay. She decided to gather between two of the other wolves keeping close by them. One had noticed the fear crawling on her face. Are you alright”? The wolf asked. “Oh it’s all right, I’m fine” yet the wolf seemed unconvinced and came closer to her “you sure”? “Yes” she responded. “It’s just the water and my son” “I know don’t worry” the wolf reassured. “That’s what they all say”. Serina thought. She climbed down the small bank-side to the water. She crept down dipping into the shallow pool and felt the cold rush against her fur rustling on her skin, it gave her chills. Serina could not help but stare back at her mate and son now just now making their way down to the river bed. “Please let this go well” she thought. Shadow poked his toe into the water and shot back with a shiver “dad, do we really have cross this”? He asked. “Yes I’m afraid so”. Shadow turned to his father with an upset look “its cold”! He protested “And I don’t know how to swim”. James simply smiled and said “just follow alongside me and move your legs forward like me”. Shadow followed his father when he suddenly leaped into the water and started swimming.

James made it look so easy gently paddling along. “Okay your turn” he shouted”. Shadow came in slowly and began swimming as well. “Hey it’s not that hard” Shadow said with glee. Serina assumed everything was fine seeing Shadow easily swim made her feel better. Shadow was doing fine until he bumped into a small rock he lost balance and started drifting off to the side. Out of nowhere Shadow went from swimming do being swept under the water. James turned to see his son now drifting down the river at alarming speeds. All he could hear were gargled screams and cries. “Serina look”! James screamed pointing to Shadow. Serina’s heart dropped like a brick, her worst fear was realized. “Go around the bank try to cut him off”. James yelled. “While you do what”? Serina asked intensively. “I’m going to swim for him”. James swam down the river trying to keep up, the current grabbed him but James fought against it. Serina ran along side the bank keeping up with James and keeping her eyes locked on Shadow The other wolves were following with her as well. James could barley see Shadow at this point all that was visible was a black spec. The current slammed him into a rock inducing a massive pain. Shadow was losing thought of everything blacking out in the water and hearing a loud thunderous rush of water. James was not far behind and then he saw it, a huge waterfall. “Shadow swim”! He shouted but Shadow did not respond nor move. “No”! Shadow slipped over the edge disappearing behind the water. James mortified grabbed hold of a branch of a fallen tree on the side of the river and pulled himself out. “What happened, Serina asked looking desperately at her mate. James gave a sigh and said “he’s gone I lost him over the falls chances are….He’s dead”. Serina broke into tears as she leaned up against James. “Shhh come on its okay” James said though he knew it was far from okay.

The sun set slowly over a small pond where the wolves had stopped for the night. Not only a resting spot but a memorial to Shadow. “We will never forget our unfortunately lost friend Shadow he lived a short but wonderful life”. Arnoue had just finished with his speech all watched him but other’s gaze fell upon James and Serina. “Would you like to say anything James or Serina” Arnoue asked. James looked up while Serina dried her tears next to him. “No I’m afraid not we need some time here”. “I understand” Arnoue said respectively well time for bed everyone tomorrow morning we move again. The sunset now left the bright moon to watch over the land casting a white light. Serina looked up to the moon and thought to herself “goodbye my son” she then gave howl up to the moon and then proceeded back to her mate.



© 2011 WoLf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on September 5, 2011


Author

WoLf
WoLf

CA



About
Just the average guy doing his thing. Current project(s): Winchester Grove Finished Projects: Through Wolves Eyes Series Future Project(s): Wolvrens of Frost Creek (name subject to change) more..

Writing