Chapter 6- Unwanted Visitors

Chapter 6- Unwanted Visitors

A Chapter by WoLf

After several days traveling, they had transferred to mid summer. Shadow and Crystal were just settling alongside a lake. The sun was overhead, reflected in the deep pool. They had both managed to bring down an elk they were feasting on. “How much farther do think it is”? Crystal asked, settling her head in the grass. “Not sure, I’m guessing maybe several more weeks or so”. But as Shadow thought, he heard something behind him. At first it appeared to sound like just low rustling among the leaves on the ground and then the sound escalated to heavy footsteps. Shadow turned. He came face to face with a human’s gun. The sleek silver on its barrel reflected in Shadow’s eyes as he gazed up into it. The gun made an unfamiliar clicking sound. Crystal had turned too, now watching Shadow staring in disbelief. Neither Shadow nor Crystal said a word. The human didn’t seem too quick to react. He was wearing a grey fur coat and a long belt of what looked like shiny acorns strung across his chest. The human aimed his gun now directly inches from Shadows face. Shadow stood waiting for the deadly blow. He snapped his eyes shut, the human was about to fire, but instead nothing. Shadow opened his eyes to gaze at the human again, what he saw was most shocking. The human was flailing its arms around vigorously trying to remove something that had snagged him. The human grunted and yelled then Shadow saw what was causing him to commit this action. A black wolf had gripped itself along the back of the human and was digging its teeth into the humans back, ripping at his flesh. Then, the wolf reared back its head and delivered a fatal bite, straight into the back of the human’s neck. The human’s eyes suddenly drooped, the light left his body in seconds, and he dropped to the dirt ground with a heavy thud. The black wolf stood over the body in a triumphant pose. Before Shadow could speak though, the wolf had suddenly begun eating at the human’s corpse. “What are you doing”?! Shouted Shadow watching the wolf tear at the carcass. “Enjoying the meal I earned”. The wolf said in a voice that almost sounded like Shadow was the crazy one. Shadow stared in horror, he had never heard of wolves devouring humans. The wolf continued with his “meal” while Crystal and Shadow watched, speechless. After the wolf had his fill he turned his blood covered muzzle to Shadow and Crystal. His eyes showed a dark grey. “Come with me, Chenoue would like to confront any trespassers within his territory”. Shadow and Crystal exchanged nervous glances, but did as told and followed the mysterious wolf. If they didn’t obey, they may just be asking for the same fate as the human.

The wolf had led them over a small mountain range which entered a dark forested area with trees that glimmered with dark green colors. The forest floor was an arrangement of dead plants and rotting leaves. Upon entering a small valley like spot with a large cave input, they were immediately greeted with sneers and disfigured faces all around them. “Chenoue, I bring you outsiders, from the deep pool on the outer rim”. A loud voice erupted from in the cave. “Then please escort them in if you would”. “As you wish”. The black wolf said. “Come, follow me inside”. He commanded. Shadow and Crystal did as told and followed the black wolf once again. They entered the cave only shined upon by few lights, all of which were holes in the cave’s roof. Shadow stared into a dark shadow at the end of the cave, he saw only darkness. Then a large figure rose up to its feet and walked forward. “So, these are the trespassers you found Raves”? The wolf said in a very loud and gentleman voice. “Yes, I caught them snooping around the border”. Shadow couldn’t think of what he had done wrong. The big wolf that had risen from the shadows had a black dark coat with bright yellow eyes; he was twice the size of Crystal and Shadow. His eyes scanned over Crystal and Shadow then he turned them back to Raves. “They don’t look threatening at all”. The wolf boomed. “I assumed they would be up to no good, moving around this close to the border”. Shadow jumped on the opportunity to support the dark grey wolfs claim. “No, we mean no harm”! Shadow shouted out. “My friend and I were just passing through; we didn’t know you had boundaries”. Raves’s eyes snapped to Shadow with a face telling him to zip his muzzle. “You see, they are no enemies of ours”. The grey wolf said heartily. “They are simply some traveling wolves”. Shadow nodded at the statement. “Would you like anything from us”? The grey wolf said looking over the two of them. “Could we stay in the territory for a day, we need to rest and eat”. Crystal said. The black wolf rubbed at his chin. “Sir, if I may, I believe we shouldn’t let these outsiders- “I do not need your input”. The black wolf said raising his paw to silence him. “You may stay as long as you like, there is plenty of food”. Shadow and Crystal looked at each other with faces of relief and satisfaction. “I am Chenoue”. He said in a deep voice. Shadow was about to introduce himself but Chenoue quickly interrupted him. “I will call the others off; they are not friendly to outsiders so stay out of there way”. Chenoue led Shadow and Crystal out of the cave with Raves following behind. “Fellow pack members”! Chenoue shouted in his booming voice. “We have two visitors who will be staying for the night; I request you don’t kill them”. Shadow gulped at this last statement, these wolves were ugly and threatening looking. There fur was mulched and looked clumpy. “Well enjoy your stay”. Chenoue said and he walked back into the cave. Shadow and Crystal watched as the other wolves turned and walked away. Shadow heard a whisper in his ear and turned to look at Raves who was standing beside him. “Hope you like the taste of those human rats”. And he turned and strode away. Shadow stared after him. “What did he mean by that”? Crystal asked. Shadow shook his head. “I don’t know, but I don’t like it either”. Shadow turned to look at Raves again but instead saw a brown and tan wolf walking in their direction.

 

 

It had been months, Serina had finally started to forget about her lost son, he was now a vague memory. Yet, he still came to mind. “He could have been so much more”. She thought. But the past must be put aside; she must fully move on and forget about Shadow in order to recover. Sarina began eating again, from time to time she would stop and feast on fish in the rivers, and catch them with more enthusiasm then she ever had. The depressed state had rippled off her. She was finally ready to start over, maybe even a new pup, but something told her that this was not what needed to be done, that merely Sarina must wait, something was coming for her. But what is this something? The answer was not given.



© 2011 WoLf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

263 Views
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on July 3, 2011


Author

WoLf
WoLf

CA



About
Just the average guy doing his thing. Current project(s): Winchester Grove Finished Projects: Through Wolves Eyes Series Future Project(s): Wolvrens of Frost Creek (name subject to change) more..

Writing