Chapter 7- A Dark Truth

Chapter 7- A Dark Truth

A Chapter by WoLf

Shadow watched as the brown wolf approached. He had his head low. He looked from side to side. “What do you want”? Shadow asked as the wolf approached. “I need to talk with you”. Shadow stared at him with confusion. “What? But who are you”? The brown wolf turned his head and looked behind him. “Just come with me, I will explain everything”. Shadow was unconvinced, but still followed reluctantly. He had led Shadow and Crystal to a secluded place in the forest; there were no sounds and no other beings nearby. The brown and tan wolf looked about and then sighed. “Okay we are alone it seems”. The brown wolf said taking a second glance; he turned back to the two wolves. “My name is Jake”. He said smoothly. “I need to warn you about these wolves, about Chanoue”. “What’s wrong with him”? Shadow asked curiously. “Did you not see Raves tear apart that human”? Shadow’s memory flashed back to the human who had been torn apart and killed by the black wolf named Raves. “How did you know”? Crystal asked. “I’m a guard; it’s my job to keep watch of things”. “I’ve never seen a wolf eat a human before”. Shadow said quietly. “And that is why I have come to warn you, there is much to be told so please listen”. Shadow and Crystal edged closer to hear Jakes warning. “Chenoue is a monster, a cold hearted worm. He kills anyone who disagrees with him”. Shadow’s eyes widened. “But he was so nice”. Crystal butted in. “Yes but this is how Chanoue gains your trust. He’s a liar, he may seem friendly but he’s not, far from it I might add. Chanoue is a dark wolf”. Shadow looked back to where the cave was. Although he could not see Chanoue, he felt his eyes watching him, surveying him like fresh meat. Jake continued “Chanoue leads the pack; each new wolf must partake in the human sacrifice ritual. The ritual is where a new wolf that enters the territory and is accepted to stay must partake in a killing of one human and eating its flesh, this is the way Chanoue determines if you are with humans or not. He does not like human loving wolves in his pack.” Shadow stared at Jake. “Then you did the ritual too, didn’t you”? Jake looked at him. “I was demanded to do it, but I didn’t kill the human that he ordered me to kill”. Shadow’s gulped; he could only assume Jake was brutally punished for this. “But why didn’t he kill you”? Jake looked up and had a strange look on his face. “That’s the funny thing, Chanoue said he was “feeling generous” and that he would spare me”. Shadow gave him a puzzled look. “He never has been generous to me since, treating me like a slave”. Shadow lowered his head, he felt bad for Jake. “So I want to get you away from Chanoue as soon as it’s safe, I’m sure you’ll be his next victims”. “So when do we leave”? Crystal asked. “Tonight, Chanoue is getting together with a friend of his; they are going on a large scale hunt. It will be a perfect time to escape”. So Jake explained. telling Shadow and Crystal to meet him back at the spot at dusk. Shadow had spent hours around the spot with Crystal. The two of them watched Chanoue’s wolves, constantly drooling over their catches like deer, although deer could only satisfy these wolves for so long. Shadow began seeing wolves dragging through the dirt, dead ripped human bodies. The sight was terrifying as the ravenous wolves ripped and tore at the human’s skin. Shadow and Crystal quickly averted their gaze from the monstrous scenes. Most of the wolfs ignored them; after the sun started to set they met Jake where he asked them to meet again. They made there way out from the territory during a huge storm rolling in over the mountains. “Who’s this friend of Chanoue’s anyway”? Crystal asked, trekking through the mud as the wind started to pick up. They were traveling along a sloped hillside heading from the mountain ring were the territory nestled. “His name is Ranoue, another wolf that shares his human hate beliefs; they are both in the council of wolves”. “Council of wolves”? Shadow asked confused. “Why yes the council, I’ve heard of them” Crystal chimmed in. Shadow and Crystal stopped as Jake had. “The council of wolves is an ancient group; they make most decisions that affect all packs”. Jake said turning around to face Shadow. “There are five members, well there were five”. Jake turned around again and looked off into the horizon. “What happened to the fifth wolf”? Crystal asked. “He left, abandoned the council, and for good reason”. Seeing their confused faces Jake began to explain. “Arnoue was his name, he left the council after seeing Ranoue’s and Chanoue’s dark influence, and they had become corrupt, forcing their human hate onto the other members”. Shadows eyes went wide “Arnoue”! He shouted in surprise. “He is my packs leader”! Shadow said looking at Jake who now had a surprised look. “You’re from Arnoue's clan”? Jake said looking at him in astonishment. “Wow, so no wonder you never heard of the council of wolves, Arnoue would never speak of the council”. Shadow lowered his head a little. “I see why”. Jake walked up to him “Arnoue had planed to leave the council shortly after Chanoue’s talk with him about his new proposal to attempt an elimination of humanity”. Shadow gasped. “Chanoue would take it that far”? Jake nodded to him. “The other council members and I helped Arnoue in his escape”. Jake said now taking his eyes off Shadow and turning to the cloud hidden moon. Its glowing top stuck out over the storm clouds. “We sent him off, away from Chanoue and Ranoue. If they ever find him, they will kill him”. Shadow could feel a dark tension; Chanoue is a strict creature and will not stop until things are done his way. Jake turned back to Shadow. “I’m going to send a message to Arnoue”. He turned himself to face the moon and reared back his head and gave out a great howl, it echoed through the air and out. Jake slowly brought his head down and gave a big breath. “I hope Chanoue doesn’t hear that”. Shadow said warily. “So you’ve kept in contact with Arnoue”? Shadow asked. Jake nodded. “We all have, Kessle and Ceria have both made contact with Arnoue as well. He told us about the humans forcing him out of his home, your packs home. I don’t believe Arnoue is safe moving around like this”. Shadow nodded in agreement, Arnoue wasn’t safe with Chanoue looking for him. “Kessle and Ceria”? Crystal asked. “Yes they are the other two council members. The name still beat in her head, Kessle it sounded so familiar. “Kessle”! Crystal shouted out. “That’s my father’s name”! She seemed so excited her face filled with joy. “Where is the council, I want to meet him again”. Jake had a frown cross his face. “They meet at the Cave of The Elders Wisdom, a place were the first elders created the council”. “Take us there”. Crystal said sternly. Jake had a stare of anger and fear. “But… but… I need to get you away from Chanoue”. He stuttered. Crystal stared into his eyes. “Take us there Jake”. Jake hung his head and sighed. “Fine I will take you to them, the councilors meet after four more moons pass”. Crystal took her gaze off Jake’s. “Then we will wait”. She walked off heading back down the hill. Jake turned to Shadow. “She’s really determined to meet her father”. Shadow looked over at Jake. “She has her reasons”. The two started to follow her, heading for the cave.

 

Arnoue was resting his head on the small mound of dirt he had come by. He listened as the wind howled to him, but this was not the wind. The howl had a voice, a firm voice. Arnoue’s ears twisted at the sound. “Jake”? Arnoue quickly thought. It was him, he recognized the howl. Jake’s message was a little unclear; it must have been traveling for hours. “I’ve met someone you might know”. He heard Jake say something more but the message tapered off for a moment. “Someone I know”? Arnoue thought, who would that be. He listened in more. “His name is Shadow; I’m taking him away from Chanoue”. Arnoue’s eyes went wide. “Shadow”... The name hit him like a spear. Shadow, the wolf that had been thought lost to the river. He started to contemplate whether he should tell Sarina and James or not. Arnoue had soon decided not to. The thought of their son still being alive would give them too much hope; Shadow could be dead already for all he knew. Best keep it to himself for now. He howled back telling Jake he approved and understood.

 

Jake was standing still watching the cave. Its brilliance was disguised under moss and bushes covering over the entrance and the sides. “We hunt and sleep here”. Crystal said. She had lain down on the forest floor among the mossy grass. “I’m going back to my post near the territory. If I don’t, Chanoue will kill me for leaving my post”. Jake left a few minutes later leaving the two to wait. Jake came by now and then to check on them. “I still don’t think this is worth the risk”. Jake said quietly to Shadow. After the last day, the moon rose, full and bright. Jake had just showed up, readying for Crystal’s plan. “I’m not sure you want to barge in on Chanoue like this”. “I’m going to meet my father again”. Crystal said strongly. The group watched in the shadows as the councilors made their way to the cave. Crystal watched a large grey and black wolf, possibly her father, they all looked similar. “Come on”. Crystal said. She climbed in through an opening in the side of the cave the other two followed. They all peered inside. The councilors were all sitting around a large stone circle; they seemed noble and dignified the way they posed. Crystal nudged forward, climbing through the opening. “Another fine evening gentleman”. Came a voice. A large brown wolf had spoken these words. “Indeed” Chanoue said. His paws slapped onto the rock. “Okay we all know that humans are coming onto our territories more frequently now, their trespassing is becoming a regular event”. All the wolves nodded. “We must take further action than we have been”. Shouted a black wolf. Jake whispered into Shadows ear. “That’s Ranoue, Chanoue's right hand wolf”. Shadow looked over at the black wolf. His eyes seem to glimmer a dark red. “Yes”. Chanoue said with a bit of a smirk. “The humans don’t seem to be doing anything wrong as of late”. Said the brown wolf. He seemed calm and quiet. “They are trespassing; humans don’t deserve the soil, only wolves are worthy”. Growled Chanoue.  The argument continued and slowly escalated. “Enough”! Shouted a grey and black she wolf. She had glistening blue eyes and was frowning with a scowl across her face. “I believe we can settle this matter dignified like”. The other councilors turned to look at her, and then turned away continuing the fight. Crystal had spent enough time watching and saw it time to intervene. She jumped down out of the hole and onto to the cave floor. She looked up to see all the councilors looking at her. Silence started to fill the room and the councilors slowly stopped their yelling. Shadow jumped down to join her as did Jake. The silence was broken by Ranoue’s angry growls. “What’s going on here”?! He shouted. “Who are these wolves and what are they doing here”?! No one responded. “Wait I recognize these wolves. There two outsiders that wandered into my territory”. Chanoue said. He narrowed his eyes on them then saw Jake behind them. “You”! Chanoue barked loudly. “You led them here”? Jake lowered his head and folded down his ears. “Yes Chanoue”. Chanoue’s eyes turned to slits as he sneered at Jake. The drool slid down his face as he started a low growl “I thought better of you”. Jake looked up. “I’m greatly sorry; they convinced me to do it”. Shadow looked up, a little surprised. “He’s trying to blame us”. Shadow thought. Chanoue slammed his paw down on the rock circle. “Excuses won’t allow you to receive any sympathy”.  Suddenly the brown wolf began to speak. “Wait, I think I know one of these wolves”. Crystal looked to him. Was this her father? She wouldn’t have recognized him. “That white silvery one. She’s…she’s… my daughter”. Crystal’s eyes started to shine with tears. “Daddy”?! She cried. Crystal ran to her father and embraced him. “I thought you were dead”. Kessle said. Crystal looked up into her fathers eyes. “You left me behind. You left me to die”. Kessle’s face lit white. “For the good of the pack”. He said quietly although he didn’t seem proud of saying this. Crystal frowned at him. “You’ve done terrible things father. I’m not sure if I can ever forgive you”. Kessle lowered his head. “I understand”. Then the moment had been broken. “A family reunion”? Ranoue said creating an evil smile. Ah how fun it is to watch those happy moments wither away”. “Outsiders or any other wolves are not allowed in the chamber”! Chanoue shouted. “I shouldn’t have ever trusted you Jake”! “You had your purpose but it doesn’t matter anymore”. “But Chanoue”! Jake cried but it didn’t seem to change Chanoue's thought on the situation. Chanoue made a wild run towards Shadow. He pushed Shadow down to the ground and out of his way. He climbed up onto Jake’s back bit down on his fur, ripping at his back before kicking him down. Shadow stood up to look at the carnage. Jake was bleeding badly and yet Chanoue showed no remorse. “This case is tired Chanoue, I’m done arguing with these fools”. Ranoue said turning to Kessle and Ceria. “Then kill them both, they mean nothing to us now”. Both Kessle and Ceria went wide eyed. “With pleasure”. Ranoue said. Ceria bared her teeth and bit at Ranoue as he charged at her. He dashed back and leaped forward digging into her chest with his spear like teeth. She howled and pulled back with blood soaking the floor. “Daddy run”! Crystal shouted. Ceria dropped to the floor and Ranoe slowly approached with his teeth shiny red and his mouth hanging open hungrily. They were yelps and squeals; Ranoue was literally eating Ceria alive. “Get out of here; run” Crystal was pushing Kessle along but Chanoue caught sight and attacked. He charged over slamming Crystal to the ground and turned his attention to Kessle. Kessle growled and bit into Chanoue’s side. Chanoue responded with a speedy thrust upward of his paw slamming it hard into Kessle’s jaw and sending him crashing backwards. Chanoue jumped up and crushed his large body over Kessle and began biting at his neck. Crystal tried biting and pulling at Chanoue but nothing came of it. Chanoue made the final fatal bite down on Kessle’s neck; he started to stumble as his limp body fell to the cave floor. Crystal could only watch and stare as her father ceased his breathing. Tears were filling her eyes. She looked up to Chanoue. Anger now consumed her; she started to dive for Chanoue. Shadow grabbed her tail to stop her and pulled her back. “Come on! We need to get out of here”! Shadow yelled. She nodded and turned, darting for the hole in the wall. Shadow followed her. Ranoue bared his teeth and growled, he started to follow the two wolves before Chanoue called him back. “Let them go”. He said. A smile was creased across Chanoue’s large face. “Why are we letting them get away”? Ranoue shouted angrily. “They can’t escape. We will meet them again, very soon”. Chanoue looked down to where he had kicked Jake to the ground. He was gone; all that was left was a blood trail. “They will not escape, not a single one of them will”. Ranoue turned to Chanoue. “Then what’s your plan”. Chanoue’s smile grew ever wider. “We find Arnoue, we find his lackeys. When Arnoue’s soul is released from his body, then we cam turn to our next task.

 

Shadow was tired; he’d never tried to run so fast. They had run from the cave arriving at a small grass meadow. The moon was still high, it’s brilliant light shown down on them. Crystal’s scar shined. “Do you think Jake got away”? Shadow asked. He could hear Crystal crying, he went along her side giving her a nudge. “I’m sorry for what happened”. Shadow said quietly. “I barely even knew him”. She said with several tears dropping. “I remember when he used to sing to me before he laid me down to rest in the den”. Shadow looked away. “His soul is now at rest, he can now leave behind the evil burden which cursed him”. Shadow nodded. Kessle was free from the evil act he had committed, leaving his only daughter to die.

 

Arnoue had been waiting at the cliff side near the resting spot he had chosen. He waited to hear another message from Jake, hoping to hear more about Shadow. Soon a howl did come, not one he’d expected to hear. It was that of Kessle’s and Ceria’s. “The howl of passing”. Arnoue sighed. He’d hoped not to hear this dreadful howl. The howl of passing is when the soul of a wolf who is passing onto the next world makes one last howl, to signify its death, to bring to attention its final moments in the world. Arnoue howled back in honor of his fellows who had fallen. But how had they died? Were they killed or was this a mere accident. Kessle’s howl proceeded to give the answer, whispering into Arnoue’s ears like ice. “Chanoue”. Arnoue sighed under his breath. That name sent a shiver down his spine. He thought of Shadow. The danger that poor pup was in was more than anyone could bear. His mind started to race, he had to do something. He looked back behind him to look at his pack, sleeping, unaware of the terror and death they would face because of him. He looked back to the moon. What is a wolf elder to do? He licked at his paw before lying down again. Then it came to mind. “I will have to leave them, it’s the only way. If I leave Shadow alone with Chanoue, he won’t last a second”. He thought. Arnoue stood up and turned around again. He called out to James. The grey black wolf looked up, rising from his sleep. He walked over dazed. “What’s the matter”? He asked sitting beside Arnoue to look over the moon with him. “I need to tell you something very important”. James looked at Arnoue with a confused look. “Like what”? Arnoue’s face fell with a saddened look. “I need to leave”. “What for”? James stood up and came closer to Arnoue “Are you commencing self banishment”? “No”. Arnoue replied flatly. “I want you to take my role. I want you to lead this pack”. James looked at Arnoue in astonishment. “You want me to be pack leader”? Arnoue nodded. “I can’t take that responsibility from you”. James said. “Please do, I can no longer do so. Now I must go”. Arnoue stood up and started to walk down a path away from the cliff edge. James looked over him with shock. “But I don’t know what to do. How can I lead a pack”? Arnoue looked over his shoulder. “You’ll learn, you were destined for this James, I have faith in you”. Arnoue walked down the path into the shadows of the trees, leaving James alone with the pack at his command.



© 2011 WoLf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

235 Views
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on July 3, 2011


Author

WoLf
WoLf

CA



About
Just the average guy doing his thing. Current project(s): Winchester Grove Finished Projects: Through Wolves Eyes Series Future Project(s): Wolvrens of Frost Creek (name subject to change) more..

Writing