Chapter 16- Chanoue Closes In

Chapter 16- Chanoue Closes In

A Chapter by WoLf

Arnoue looked up to the sky under the trees. He was walking along the side of a river; its quiet noise relaxed his mind and allowed him to think. For years, he thought, I have hid from the dark and evil creature that Chanoue truly is. Why had so many had to die because I was too afraid to show my face? Maybe sacrifice was not the true and most meaningful path because he knew where this path would lead him. It would lead him to his grave a long shrilling end awaited him. Ceria, Kessle, maybe even Jake had all died due to his cowardly hidings. He covered the past, hid many secrets and in the end was stained within a coming conflict. He thought of Shadow, he knew he was alive. Even after confronting Chanoue himself the young wolf was still breathing. Arnoue felt it was time; time to play a part to the conflict he knew was arising, to the inevitable destruction he knew was on the horizon. A dark conclusion had clouded Arnoue’s head, death and evil would fill all. No prophecy or script would lead him to how to settle this surfacing issue. He stopped his thought. He would stand before Chanoue, nothing would stop him.

 

Shadow looked back at Crystal holding the infant in her mouth playfully making noises and the child would giggle. “This is stupid; we are just being slowed down by that thing”. Crystal snorted. Of course he knew this meant shut up. “Well we have maybe a few more days ahead; more with that human”. Crystal gave her angry snort again. Shadow stopped and sat. It’s getting dark, we should rest here. Crystal lay next to Shadow and settled the child in her paws. He crawled about before crawling to Crystal’s tail and curling up. Crystal swung her head around at Shadow. “You could be a little more considerate, I know you don’t like this but please don’t be such a grump”. Shadow just turned away. “Yeah, I know”. Crystal just shook her head and laid her head down in the dirt. Shadow stared up at the moon rising again above them. He felt a surge of hope and howled. Loud and strong his howl carried off into the night and rang above the trees waving out like a gust of wind. How far it would travel he did not know. Crystal was holding the child in her arms and licking its head. It giggled and reached out for Shadow. He stared back a bit disgusted. Crystal watched with confusion. “What’s your problem” Shadow glared at her. “Nothing”. He shuffled the other way and collapsed in the dirt. Crystal rolled her eyes impatiently. “Shadow you are making a fuss over nothing”? Shadow huffed. “Crystal raised the child up in her mouth and walked over to Shadow. “I know this is a bit of a set back, but I promise we will be able to continue on in time”. Shadow turned back to her. “I’m sorry; I just feel so close to finding them”. Crystal nodded. “I know, we are close and we need to take our time”. Shadow snorted impatiently. Crystal lay back down and yawned closing her eyes with the human pup curling into her fur. “Shadow will understand in time”. She thought and slowly drifted to sleep.

 

Chanoue shuffled passed the closing trees. The sweet smell of the two foolish wolves ripened in the air. “Their smells betray them my lord”. Ranoue said in hoarse voice. Chanoue chuckled. “Indeed they do”. He pushed past another tree to open up to a river. The water silently gurgled. Chanoue stared over it and noticed a crashed human water craft. “What have we here”? Chanoue jumped down onto the river bank and slowly approached the craft. He hopped over the side and landed inside a small cabin. Inside Chanoue’s gaze rested upon two dead humans. “Well, the smell of the two wolves is here”. The other wolves in Chanoue’s hunting group sniffed about. “They are not here but they took something with them”. One of the searchers called out. Chanoue turned and sniffed. “How do you know”? The wolf held up a small blanket. “Chanoue sniffed violently into it. “A human child? Why would they take something like that-” Chanoue stopped suddenly. “All of you with me, we will find them by morning”.

 

James scurried down a sharp rock face. The others followed minding their leader’s steps as well as their own. “Watch your step”. James called out to the others. They all slowly slipped down the side. Sarina watched her mate carefully. A wolf slipped his paw against the rock and several small pebbles fell hitting James. The wolf called down. “Sorry slippery rock”! James nodded and turned back to climbing onto a large rock edge. “Ok we can cut down through here; I see some other rock ledges leading down”. A heavy rumbling shook James and sent him into the side of the rock. “Wait stay there”! The others stopped; Sarina didn’t. “Sarina stop”! James shouted out to her. She didn’t obey. “I already lost our son; I’m not losing you too”. James barked as a rock hurtled down and slammed into his head. “Keep back the slab is going to break”! Sarina pushed by the wolves and was nearly at James’s slab when it broke. The rock carried James down into the canyon. Large clouds of dust covered Sarina’s view and all she saw was more rocks clashing down the cliff. She looked down out of the dust to see the spot where the rock landed. She closed her eyes and felt tears slide down. “No! No! Not James”! Her eyes snapped open. “I’m not going to accept he’s dead”! The other wolves chatted among each other. “All of you find a safe place to hide while I go and try to find him, no questions”. The other wolves stared at her. “Just do it”. With that she turned and walked down among the thin rock wall.

 

Shadow’s eyes opened to a sunny morning greeting him. He yawned and slowly stood up. He stretched his legs and looked back at Crystal still sleeping. He sat and stared into the forest admiring its sight. “I never really saw the beauty in such things”. He thought to himself. He looked around before a spine chilling voice spit into his ear. “Well isn’t this a surprise”. Shadow looked over his shoulder to see the face of Chanoue. “Crystal wake up”! Shadow screamed. Crystal woke and turned to look. She gripped the child in her mouth and backed up. Chanoue stepped forward and his gang of wolves including Ranoue stepped forward. “I’m so glad we could see each other again”. Shadow barred his teeth as Crystal walked up beside him. “Stay away Chanoue, we have nothing you want”. Chanoue sniggered. “But you do, that child; hand it over”. Shadow backed up and Chanoue closed in. “No”. Crystal said muffled. Chanoue rolled his eyes. “I will take it then, Ranoue; do your work”. Ranoue barked hungrily. “Yes, I’ve been waiting for meat”. Ranoue ran at Shadow madly but Shadow kicked him back. Ranoue was unfazed and attacked again. This time another wolf ran forward and knocked Ranoue back onto the ground. Shadow stared amazed. “Arnoue”! He turned his grey head. “Yes it’s me, I’m glad to see you are okay”. Shadow stared with his jaw hanging open. “Chanoue, long time no see”. Chanoue was about as surprised as Shadow. “Well, it’s been a while Arnoue”. Arnoue stared at Chanoue without fear. “Indeed it has. How many humans have you slaughtered in the time I’ve been away”? Chanoue laughed. “Oh more than I can ever count”. A slimy smile spread Chanoue’s mug. “You are just in time to see me kill these idiots, you’ll be next”. Arnoue shook his head. “Chanoue, take me instead and spare these wolves and the child”. Chanoue cocked his head. “Sacrificing yourself? What a noble deed, considering you abandoned your position on the council”. Arnoue glared. “You know why I left”. Chanoue snorted. “Why, your human love was too strong? That’s all you ever thought about you pathetic slug, love and unity with humans. Bah, it’s all nonsense”. Arnoue still glared down, his glossy gold eyes shining in the light. “You’ve heard nature’s words, why will you not accept you’re at a loss, you’ll never achieve your victory you long for”. Chanoue puffed angrily. “Only fools like you will not achieve victory but I, I will be the one to triumph over Nature and her stupid ideas”. Chanoue turned back to Crystal and Shadow. “Now let me finish what needs to be done”. Arnoue jumped in front of Chanoue and growled. “You know all you want is me”. Shadow cried out. “No Arnoue! It’s not worth it”! Arnoue turned. “Shadow your life means more than anything now”. Shadow stared and tears ran from his eyes. Arnoue was like a grandfather to him. “Now, save yourselves, your parents long for you”. Shadow choked. “But why me, why can’t you be saved”? Arnoue shook his head. “There’s no time to explain”! Chanoue barked. “Get out of here before I change my mind”! Shadow turned motioning Crystal to follow. Chanoue's gang began growling. Chanoue waved them down. “Let them go, I have who I want. Arnoue, come with us”. Arnoue lowered his head and followed Chanoue through the trees.



© 2011 WoLf


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

274 Views
Added on July 3, 2011
Last Updated on August 28, 2011


Author

WoLf
WoLf

CA



About
Just the average guy doing his thing. Current project(s): Winchester Grove Finished Projects: Through Wolves Eyes Series Future Project(s): Wolvrens of Frost Creek (name subject to change) more..

Writing