Chapter 2

Chapter 2

A Chapter by Angelica

I wish I could still be there for you, but I still need you to do some things for me.  Most of all, you need to watch over mom.  I know that you really don’t like her, but she is your mother.  If not for her, do it for me.  Please.”…

. . . Several hours later I finally found the will to get up.  I still had the letter held tightly against my chest, I just couldn’t find the will to read it. 

               Shuffling downstairs I was met by one of the many housekeepers.  “Would you like anything to drink Mr. Williams?” she asked politely. 

               I scoffed at that, I still wasn’t used to this whole wealthy idea, “my name is Adam and no I don’t.”  She quickly scurried away and I felt bad, she was only trying to do her job and here I am being a complete jerk to her.  I walked into the kitchen, party savors were scattered about but my neat freak of a mom didn’t seem to care as she sat at the table, staring out the floor to ceiling windows.  “I hate this life.” I bluntly said.

               My mom jumped and turned to look at me, a shocked look came across her face as she spoke, “excuse me?”

               I threw my hands up in the air in exasperation.  “I hate this life!  In the last 6 months you have become some ‘big shot’ at work and forced us to move.  Everything in mine and Addison’s life changed.  But you never noticed because you were so focused on your god damn work!  And now, my sister, my best friend is gone.”  I starting crying again as my emotions overcame me. 

               “You’re blaming your sister’s suicide on me?  Since when did it become my problem to deal with every single thing your sister did and to know her every move?” 

               “That’s kind of your job, since you are our mother!”

               “Just because I didn’t know that your sister was mentally unstable and was selfish enough to take her own life doesn’t make me a horrible mother.  I have always been here for you guys!  And I frankly don’t like the way you are talking to me right now.  Nor in front of all my clients!  I have told you time and time again not to�"”

               “Interrupt you while you’re at a business party!” I said interrupting her.  “I know that! But does that really mean that you completely disregard your children during that whole time?  Then you always wanted Addison and me to go around saying how awesome of a mother you were and how well you handled your job and family.  The only reason I did so, was for Addison.  She was all I had left because ever since you left dad two years ago, the word family has meant nothing to me.  We are no family.  Every day I lose someone else that means the world to me.  And honestly, it wouldn’t hurt me half as much if I lost you, you don’t love me.  I can see it now and I saw it today.  You hate me for destroying your party t just because your daughter ‘committed suicide’�".” 

               The next thing I know is that I have a searing pain across my cheek.  I stared at the person that is supposed to be my mother.  She looked shocked at first but quickly regained her composer.  “Don’t ever say that!  How dare you say such nonsense about things you will never understand!  And don’t ever bring up your father again.  If anyone destroyed this family it was him and it is none of your business why I left him.  You are lucky you have house maids or else you would be cleaning up this mess that you made in announcing to everyone that your sister just committed suicide.  I’d suggest that you go and pack up everything in your sister’s room.  We can throw it away or something, I have always wanted a bigger closet and her room will be perfect for my shoes…”

               I stared at her in complete mortification.  “Do not touch my sister’s room, ever! Addison would want me to take care of you because that is just how she is, but I am pained to call you my mother.  I hate you more than anything right now.  I can’t believe you…” she hadn’t even tried to defend herself in saying that she did love me.  That is what hurt the most. I turned around and sulked back up to my room.  When I closed my door I just looked around.  The room was as big as a small apartment with just as many amenities.  My own personal bathroom was bigger than most kids bedrooms.  I couldn’t help but feel spoiled when in reality I never asked for any of this, honestly all I wanted was to move back to my old neighborhood and be able to walk to my friend’s house and just feel normal.  Instead I was expected to live up to the ‘wealthy’ lifestyle.  I kicked my dresser in frustration as more hot tears streamed down my face.  I never asked for any of this, I kept telling myself.  Yet I was still given it, why?  Why me?  “Why did you have to leave me Addison?  I miss you already; I want you to come back. Please.  Can you just pinch me and wake me up and tell me that it was just a bad dream and that you will never leave me?  Addie I need you so much, tell me you are there…”  I listened and waited but nothing happened.  The sky didn’t open up and drop my sister back in her bed or take me to see my sister one last time.  I just stood there talking to the ceiling.  Shaking my head, I went across my hall to her room.  Walking inside it, I was very cautious as if I was expecting her to jump out and yell ‘gotcha!’ real loud.  As I saw the bottle of Tylenol sitting on her end table again, I noticed the broken seal lying next to it.  I slowly picked up the bottle and saw it half empty.  Checking the quantity amount I figured out that she had taken at least 75 pills.  I threw the bottle across the room and watched as the pills scattered across the wood floors.  Next I started throwing everything on her vanity around; her makeup, cleansers, moisturizers, perfumes, and every other thing a girl used to make them ‘good enough’ for society. “Stupid. Stupid. Stupid! Who made this stuff? Who would every create things with the meaning to be able to make women ‘prettier’.  I hate them!”  My meltdown lasted a good ten minutes until I finally crashed onto her bed.  Her sheets enveloped me and I turned my head and took a deep breath.  I could smell her as if she was laying there next to me.  Gripping the sheets, I pulled them tightly around me.  Then I remembered the letter the fireman had handed me.  I slowly took it out of my pocket and smoothed out the creases.  Even still, I couldn’t bring myself to read it.  I put it on her end table next to the photograph of us.  It was right before we left our old house last fall.  I had suddenly picked her up and was swinging her around.  Both of us had a joy in our expressions that I hadn’t seen or felt since then. 

               I silently cried myself to sleep with that thought in mind.



© 2013 Angelica


Author's Note

Angelica
I would love if you could give me any kind of feedback!! Hope you enjoy this chapter! Please if you figure out what the Italics part is do not comment it or else I will delete it as I want each reader to figure it out. Though it will be revealed later. If you have questions about it please feel free to message me! Thanks :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

166 Views
Added on February 10, 2013
Last Updated on February 10, 2013


Author

Angelica
Angelica

About
I am a Freshman in high school, and I have always loved to write. I hope that it has some future in my life as it is a way for me to escape. Some of my best pieces are short stories and poetry piece.. more..

Writing
The Catch The Catch

A Story by Angelica